UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Which is Better?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Kyle Sumpter
UKC Forum Member

Which is Better?

Ive been hunting for 30 years and havnt given this much thought until recently. Ive got two young dogs right now, a 2 year old that is making a nice hound and can do it right but needs lots more woods time and a 1 year old that is just starting. I don't get to turn loose most nights until after 9 and sometimes 10 and I am up by 6 AM. My question is this, is it better for these young dogs to tree one coon and go home to get rest and then go the next night or try to tree a couple and be tired the next day and skip a night to rest. I have thin coon here. I am not a pup anymore and I need some sleep so if I have a long night in the woods and then work the next day more than likely I am not going the next night. Was on my way back to the truck last night from the tree and sure was wanting to turn loose again but it was a long walk .8 miles from truck and after midnight. That long walk by myself had me doing a lot of thinking. If I had an old dog I wouldnt worry and would just do what pleases me, but with these young dogs I dont know . Prob will just do what I want anyway but thought I would ask all you computer hunters what yall thought.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-10-2019 04:52 PM
Kyle Sumpter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kyle Sumpter Click here to Send Kyle Sumpter a Private Message Click Here to Email Kyle Sumpter Find more posts by Kyle Sumpter Add Kyle Sumpter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Well in my opinion it sort of depends on what it is you are trying to improve on. For instance if you are wanting to improve on hustle from your young dog, give them a day or two of rest between outings. But if you are wanting to improve on accuracy, then I think hunting them while they are tired works best.

I have always felt most dog learns better when you have the edge off them. At that point they start thinking about what they are doing as their muscles are sore so they (like people) start doing things in a way that produces less pain.

When they have bundled up energy they simply react to their instincts without regard the amount of energy required as they have an abundance of that energy anyway.

But like the hound, Im at an age now where my muscles have less energy so I tend to try to do things smarter and that includes coon hunting. I have found that I feel better when I hunt every other night and my hound seems to be preforming very good on that schedule as well.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 12-10-2019 06:22 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Consistancy. 1 drop a night with maybe longer hunts on the weekends is going to better than here and there longer hunts sporadically.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 12-10-2019 06:24 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

With ur age/work schedule....one and done ...is the wiser

Old Post 12-10-2019 06:26 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

You know that we often think we have to do every thing exactly right to make a good dog but experience has taught me that's just not so. First we never know what exactly right would be. Secondly these dogs work around a lot of what we do wrong. A good dog will not be ruined because I make a mistake or two. Now I'm not saying that we shouldn't do the best we can but in reality most dogs make themselves. At least that's my experience which may be tainted because I may not be the best trainer. All I really know is keep them in the woods, night after night. And by the way most of my hunts are 2-3 hour hunts just because at my age that's all I can handle.

Old Post 12-10-2019 07:12 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kyle Sumpter
UKC Forum Member

I appreciate you guys input. I have my own thoughts and they are inline with most of you guys. The reason we do it in the first place is because it brings us joy and if I feel worn out day after day that's not to enjoyable. When you have a young hound clicking it sure makes it easier to put the boots on and though. My mind was just wondering and I thought I would give something to talk about on here. Thanks again.

Old Post 12-10-2019 08:10 PM
Kyle Sumpter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kyle Sumpter Click here to Send Kyle Sumpter a Private Message Click Here to Email Kyle Sumpter Find more posts by Kyle Sumpter Add Kyle Sumpter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

Do you ever?

Sometimes I'll come home from work and take a nap, then go hunting for a couple hours, back home and to bed. I enjoy the hunt more. Also feel better the next day at work.
This is especially good during the summertime when the sun doesn't go down until 8:30 or 9:00.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Last edited by jdgher on 12-12-2019 at 03:44 PM

Old Post 12-12-2019 03:41 PM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote