UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hybrid vigor ?
Pages (8): « First ... « 6 7 [8]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JerryWMorgan
UKC Forum Member

Let’s see if I can ask this correctly. Would crossbreeding any two of the three English walker or bluetick, give you a true f1 pup other than on paper? Since they were all English at one point or have they been separated long enough to make a difference. Otherwise wouldn’t you have to breed to one of the other coonhound breeds to make a true f1 and get the hybrid vigor(not coonhunting vigor). Like a walker to a plott and the pups would be a true f1 and may show some hybrid vigor.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-06-2020 07:14 PM
JerryWMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JerryWMorgan Click here to Send JerryWMorgan a Private Message Click Here to Email JerryWMorgan Find more posts by JerryWMorgan Add JerryWMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by JerryWMorgan
Let’s see if I can ask this correctly. Would crossbreeding any two of the three English walker or bluetick, give you a true f1 pup other than on paper? Since they were all English at one point or have they been separated long enough to make a difference. Otherwise wouldn’t you have to breed to one of the other coonhound breeds to make a true f1 and get the hybrid vigor(not coonhunting vigor). Like a walker to a plott and the pups would be a true f1 and may show some hybrid vigor.

Jerry that’s the way I get it but only if the outcross stud was a proven reproducer.

Tar

Old Post 02-06-2020 07:23 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Tar,

Now according to some "experts" you can completely change the makeup of a hound in 3 or 4 generations. That's why you see so many guys getting bent out of shape over the x bred program.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 02-06-2020 07:43 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
Tar,

Now according to some "experts" you can completely change the makeup of a hound in 3 or 4 generations. That's why you see so many guys getting bent out of shape over the x bred program.

6 generations later I still see ole rattler traits from time to time. But there is a big difference in seeing traits and getting that complete , indifferent , athelete.

Tar

Old Post 02-06-2020 07:48 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

I definitely agree with what you're saying. You'll see some traits from the common denominator, but I personally think you need to look forward not backwards. But a nobody in the coonhound world. I think you'll be happy with what you'll get breeding to mafia stock. But I haven't seen too many go out of him. We don't seem to have any up here.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 02-06-2020 07:55 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
I definitely agree with what you're saying. You'll see some traits from the common denominator, but I personally think you need to look forward not backwards. But a nobody in the coonhound world. I think you'll be happy with what you'll get breeding to mafia stock. But I haven't seen too many go out of him. We don't seem to have any up here.

I do more research than most know hunted with 4 out of shack and different females they all tree coons with good track speed no loose barking and big monster locates a kid could call.

The other option I was considering just showed me not to reproduce none of that.

Tar

Old Post 02-06-2020 08:08 PM
Matt Souders
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JerryWMorgan

I don't think you have to go to plott to get a true f1 breeding. if you get back 5-6 generations with no common ancestry the breeding coeffeiciency drops dramatically. I think it could possibly be done in the walker breed and definitely in English, blue tick, or any of the other breeds. I thing a heavy line bred beashers bloy blue II stud from the English lines would get what your looking for if you wanted to try another breed.

Old Post 02-06-2020 08:24 PM
Matt Souders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Matt Souders Click here to Send Matt Souders a Private Message Click Here to Email Matt Souders Find more posts by Matt Souders Add Matt Souders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I do more research than most know hunted with 4 out of shack and different females they all tree coons with good track speed no loose barking and big monster locates a kid could call.

The other option I was considering just showed me not to reproduce none of that.

Tar

I hope your successful in what you're trying to do regardless if you stay within the breed.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 02-06-2020 10:03 PM
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
So what you're saying is a pup from a Walker female and a GSP will be more likely to make a good coon dog than a pup from the same Walker female and Big Country. And if you want a dog with wheels and no brains, you don't need an English pointer. I've had a few registered Walkers like that.
at least with country the pups would sale for good $ and you wouldn't be stuck with the whole litter no one was interested in ,

Old Post 02-10-2020 01:41 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote