UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Weather extremes
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Weather extremes

How do all of you guys up North deal with all the subzero weather along with the heavy snow that you get. We get cold weather here, but never the prolonged subzero and heavy snow you guys get, I have horses and dogs myself and know how hard it is with mild winters, feeding and watering daily. We usually do not have prolonged freezing temps, but get enough for me to know how difficult it is in caring for our animals. I just can not imagine how you guys cope with not only the sub zero temps, but all that snow at the same time. Dave

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-09-2022 04:06 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Dave its been pretty good up here this year til almost Christmas. Many nights way below freezing but no snow that stayed and coons still moved some. Think we treed four dec19th was last night we hunted. First nor' Easter yesterday 12-15 inches snow with 50-60 mph wind. -4 degrees here tonight mid 30's and rain next two days then back to below zero for two days then back up to 30 by Thursday. I shoveled kennels out three times so they wouldn't pack it down but with the wind it's a never ending job lol.

But there's no snakes.

Old Post 01-09-2022 06:10 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
Dave its been pretty good up here this year til almost Christmas. Many nights way below freezing but no snow that stayed and coons still moved some. Think we treed four dec19th was last night we hunted. First nor' Easter yesterday 12-15 inches snow with 50-60 mph wind. -4 degrees here tonight mid 30's and rain next two days then back to below zero for two days then back up to 30 by Thursday. I shoveled kennels out three times so they wouldn't pack it down but with the wind it's a never ending job lol.

But there's no snakes.

Donnie, I honest feel for you guys, I just don't think that I could handle your weather. Might be different if I was raised up there, now I hate snakes, but will take snakes over that extreme weather any day. Lol. Dave

Old Post 01-09-2022 06:27 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

We are kinda' lucky in my neck of the woods... we get some extreme weather... but it usually only lasts a week or so. Pretty consistently below zero here for about two weeks recently and a couple good snows... but this week it warmed up. We had a day recently, and three coming up this week where it will be close to 40 or maybe in the low 40's in the daytime. We will probably have two more big snow storms, one this winter and one at the very end of winter or early Spring. We'll have a few more really cold weeks... but on average it'll be 30 degree days and 10 degree nights for the bulk of our winter.

I have a metal roof over my kennels, insulated dog houses, and good K9 metal doors on the dog houses. I use electric heated horse buckets for water. The smaller blue K9 electric water pans seem to stop working after a year or two, the 2 1/2 gallon horse buckets seem to last forever and hold quite a bit more water.

The dogs eat a touch more and sleep a bunch more in the frigid cold times- but doesn't really bother them. If you are set up well taking care of dogs in the winter here is not a problem at all.

Coon hunting about shuts down though... they pretty much hibernate here and move to the hills away from the creek bottoms I usually coon hunt in. That's about the worse part of winters for me.

Old Post 01-09-2022 02:15 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
berger
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Donnie, I honest feel for you guys, I just don't think that I could handle your weather. Might be different if I was raised up there, now I hate snakes, but will take snakes over that extreme weather any day. Lol. Dave

You can keep the snakes. Don't envy you at all.

319-201-8445

Old Post 01-09-2022 05:04 PM
berger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for berger Click here to Send berger a Private Message Find more posts by berger Add berger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Snakes have never kept me from hunting, but cold weather sure has. When it's in the '20s (above) our coons don't move. You would think that anything that wore a fur coat year-round would welcome cold weather, but they don't. I'm 78 and I've only seen it below 10 (above) twice in my life.

Old Post 01-09-2022 05:37 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Guess most of us that have lived in the north country all our lives just see it as a part of life. For me personally I’d a heck of a lot rather deal with the snow and cold then deal with the heat and humidity of the south and midwest.

Old Post 01-09-2022 06:43 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I had the opportunity to go to a Flyers match in Philadelphia years ago. I thought I would freeze to death before it was over. And that was indoors. Plus, the only time I saw the puck was when the referee placed it on the ice. I learned about halfway through that when the crowd roared and the red light came on, the puck was in the goal.

Old Post 01-09-2022 06:58 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Extreme weather

Guys, I am fortunate to live in these Tennessee mountains where we get moderate winters and decent summer weather. We do not get the high humidity of the deep South or the extreme cold of the northern states. It's definitely what a person gets used to weather wise. I definitely feel for those who live in the extreme cold weather states that have animals and livestock to care for. It has to be at the top of the list in difficulty managing the care of these animals. The responses on this topic shows me that those who live in these areas are used to dealing with the weather and really do not have any problems dealing with the weather. Dave

Old Post 01-09-2022 09:15 PM
gone walkin
UKC Forum Member

Heated water buckets were hands down the best investment i ever made. I use to water 3 times a day in the winter and busting out the ice was the worst. Fresh bedding often and when we get big snows shoveling it on to and around the houses helps a lot with keeping the heat in. As far as the weather goes you can keep your hurricanes ,tornadoes ,heat, humidity and snakes.

Old Post 01-09-2022 09:53 PM
gone walkin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gone walkin Click here to Send gone walkin a Private Message Find more posts by gone walkin Add gone walkin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by gone walkin
Heated water buckets were hands down the best investment i ever made. I use to water 3 times a day in the winter and busting out the ice was the worst. Fresh bedding often and when we get big snows shoveling it on to and around the houses helps a lot with keeping the heat in. As far as the weather goes you can keep your hurricanes ,tornadoes ,heat, humidity and snakes.

Lol. You do realize that New York has venomous snakes , rattlesnakes, copperheads. Dave

Old Post 01-10-2022 03:55 AM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

I go to Texas

Old Post 01-10-2022 01:16 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gone walkin
UKC Forum Member

Yes I realize ny has some. They are mostly south of where I live. I have never seen one where I live.

Old Post 01-11-2022 01:04 AM
gone walkin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gone walkin Click here to Send gone walkin a Private Message Find more posts by gone walkin Add gone walkin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

In regards to water for dogs in the winter months, I feed wet twice a day and make sure there’s enough water to float the dog food. All my dogs clean there food up in about 3-5 minutes. Doing this I know they’re getting sufficient hydration and I don’t have to worry about frozen water buckets.

Old Post 01-11-2022 01:40 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
In regards to water for dogs in the winter months, I feed wet twice a day and make sure there’s enough water to float the dog food. All my dogs clean there food up in about 3-5 minutes. Doing this I know they’re getting sufficient hydration and I don’t have to worry about frozen water buckets.

Dan, that's seems like the perfect solution, may try myself in extended freezing periods. Dave

Old Post 01-11-2022 01:56 AM
Driftwoodblue
UKC Forum Member

Heated water buckets.

have used the Nelson Blue Devil 50203 bucket heaters for years
In my view they are the best bet there is they attach to the side of the kennel thru a 1 1/4 in emt conduit and the dogs cannot chew the cord in two. Believe me they will if they reach it on others !

they are now in the $130 range. when I was working on the road it was a must to have some way to have water available at all times the 5 gallon buckets take care of that.
at that time they were only $45 LOL they do last many years if you take the time to clean the accumulation of lime off them when the season is done..

Old Post 01-11-2022 12:48 PM
Driftwoodblue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Driftwoodblue Click here to Send Driftwoodblue a Private Message Find more posts by Driftwoodblue Add Driftwoodblue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Dave I guess you've never had to take the shovel inside the house so you can shovel your way OUT after the storm. This morning I shoveled the snow from the doorway into the bathtub so I could get outside lol.

Second nor Easter in a week.

Old Post 01-15-2022 09:36 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
Dave I guess you've never had to take the shovel inside the house so you can shovel your way OUT after the storm. This morning I shoveled the snow from the doorway into the bathtub so I could get outside lol.

Second nor Easter in a week.

No, NEVER, I don't think I could operate in that kind of weather conditions. I know it's what one gets used to, but I am to old to get used to that kind if weather. Guess I am fortunate to be in the middle so to speak, between both extremes of cold and hot. I don't do good in either cold or hot. I would probably just hibernate if I lived up there, be like a groundhog see you in the Spring. Lol. Dave

Old Post 01-15-2022 09:50 PM