UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Question for the thyroid experts?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Revenge
UKC Forum Member

Question for the thyroid experts?

Got a new dog had him checked for everything at vet including thyroid. In house test showed .7. He said on that test minimum should be 1.2. Had him send some blood to outside lab said normal range is 8-40. His came back 11.9. So as far as he's concerned he's fine. Dog don't really seem to show any obvious symptoms. Dog is 3 year old and 84 lbs if that matters. If it seems he should be put on pills I worry how to run around and get them being it seems you cant even but monthly wormer anymore online with a prescription.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-07-2022 11:42 PM
Revenge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Revenge Click here to Send Revenge a Private Message Find more posts by Revenge Add Revenge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jack haughton
UKC Forum Member

thyroid experts

I am not an expert.I had a male dog that would great for the first run then lay down to rest .He was checked out and thyroid levels were considered normal but on the low side .He was put on meds and the differance was night and day,so much better.For him low normal was not enough so the added med. was perfect.Our Vet at the time gave us a prescription and we had it filled at the local Pharmacy.No Problems.He was on it till he passed away at 15 years and a bit.Dogs use the same type as for humans just different strengths.Do check with your Vet.as it is a prescription only drug.

HOME OF THE BLU MARU BLUETICKS.GR CH Haughtons Genesse Maru.FCH CH Haughtons Jorja .Blu.CH.Ruby Maru.and Blu Poppyhttp://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h114/genessemaru/101010_ThanksgivingPuppies2010_1163.jpg

Old Post 01-09-2022 05:00 PM
jack haughton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jack haughton Click here to Send jack haughton a Private Message Find more posts by jack haughton Add jack haughton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Question for the thyroid experts?

quote:
Originally posted by Revenge
Got a new dog had him checked for everything at vet including thyroid. In house test showed .7. He said on that test minimum should be 1.2. Had him send some blood to outside lab said normal range is 8-40. His came back 11.9. So as far as he's concerned he's fine. Dog don't really seem to show any obvious symptoms. Dog is 3 year old and 84 lbs if that matters. If it seems he should be put on pills I worry how to run around and get them being it seems you cant even but monthly wormer anymore online with a prescription.

He probably doesn't need the pills.

99 out of 100 of these dogs that are taking them don't need the pills.

Old Post 01-10-2022 01:10 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Question for the thyroid experts?

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis

By "don't need them", do you mean that they don't need them to perform or "don't need them to perform at their 100% best? My thyroid level is on the low end of normal so I take thyroid pills. I am fine without them but I am better when I take them. I have more energy. Without them my heart rate and blood pressure is a little lower. Thyroid hormone controls your body's metabolism.

Old Post 01-10-2022 06:06 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Question for the thyroid experts?

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis

I would agree with the above. Thyroid could be low due to other underlying conditions. I would have the free t4 test ran before starting any meds.

Old Post 01-10-2022 09:28 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

I’m not a expert but I did spend a lot of money at one time figuring a couple dogs out. To know if it’s a true thyroid dog you’ll need a complete blood panel done that test T3, T4, Free T3 and Free T4. A lot of dogs are not true thyroid dogs but run on the lower normal side. More blood work is needed to know what u have for sure.

Old Post 01-10-2022 10:07 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssgied
UKC Forum Member

The normal range is an average for all types of dogs, performance dogs don’t always fit in that “normal” range. Tick disease can cause low thyroid and after treatment, thyroid levels can come back up, but that don’t always happen. Regular testing is the only way to really get a handle on it.

Old Post 01-10-2022 10:14 PM
ssgied is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ssgied Click here to Send ssgied a Private Message Click Here to Email ssgied Find more posts by ssgied Add ssgied to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Phipps
I’m not a expert but I did spend a lot of money at one time figuring a couple dogs out. To know if it’s a true thyroid dog you’ll need a complete blood panel done that test T3, T4, Free T3 and Free T4. A lot of dogs are not true thyroid dogs but run on the lower normal side. More blood work is needed to know what u have for sure.

The free T4 test cost more to have done, but it will let you know if there is a thyroid issue.

Old Post 01-11-2022 01:07 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

When I was testing a couple years back the vet did a blood panel that included all of them. It was set up to determine if the dog was a true thyroid dog.

Old Post 01-11-2022 06:26 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

From what I experienced in the coon hounds I had years ago, this is most often a genetic fault that passes from generation to generation.

I think it gets overlooked because the medication is not very expensive and easy to give to the dog.

In my opinion any dog that has thyroid issues that are traceable back to its parents should not be bred.

Old Post 01-11-2022 07:38 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Just what is a "thyroid dog"? What is the difference between a "thyroid dog" and a "true thyroid dog"? Can a dog have a low thyroid level and not be a "thyroid dog"? Do you treat "thyroid dogs" differently from "non-thyroid dogs"?

Old Post 01-12-2022 12:57 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lance Laymon
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
From what I experienced in the coon hounds I had years ago, this is most often a genetic fault that passes from generation to generation.

I think it gets overlooked because the medication is not very expensive and easy to give to the dog.

In my opinion any dog that has thyroid issues that are traceable back to its parents should not be bred.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Why are people breeding genetically defective dogs? We as a consumer should be seeking a better product. Hunters have been breeding coonhounds for 200 years we need to stop breeding inferior dogs.

Old Post 01-12-2022 01:08 PM
Lance Laymon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lance Laymon Click here to Send Lance Laymon a Private Message Find more posts by Lance Laymon Add Lance Laymon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Just what is a "thyroid dog"? What is the difference between a "thyroid dog" and a "true thyroid dog"? Can a dog have a low thyroid level and not be a "thyroid dog"? Do you treat "thyroid dogs" differently from "non-thyroid dogs"?

Most dogs that get run down from tick illness or other issues that just plain wear them down will suffer from euthyroid sick syndrome. If given treatment for the illness they have and given a proper recovery time, the T4 level will come back to normal. A true “thyroid dog” suffers from hyperthyroidism which means it’s body is either using too much of the produced T4 or the body isn’t making enough of it. It seems most true hypothyroidism dogs get it genetically. However you can’t tell which u have from a simple T4 test . A complete system blood panel test and evaluation is needed.

Old Post 01-12-2022 08:17 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I am certainly no expert nor do I know that much about it but it just seems that it makes common sense that if your dogs thyroid level is low, you give them the pills to bring it up. At the same time, if their level is not low then you stop giving them the pills. Does it really matter why it is low?

Old Post 01-12-2022 10:57 PM
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I am certainly no expert nor do I know that much about it but it just seems that it makes common sense that if your dogs thyroid level is low, you give them the pills to bring it up. At the same time, if their level is not low then you stop giving them the pills. Does it really matter why it is low?

The dog mentioned level is low but still within the normal limits. Without a prior test you cant say its low, because you have no baseline to compare it with.. As mentioned earlier other issues could be the reason it is “low”. That level may also be his normal. just as in people before starting thyroid medication they will usually check it more than once over a period of time to see the thyroid is an issue. As far as just giving them medication because it is low and quitting when it is up. Where do you stop? at what level? You also just cant get up to a level and just quit the medication. After taking thyroid medication for a length of time the thyroid can quit doing its job because the medication has been doing the job.

Old Post 01-13-2022 01:39 AM
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

quote:

This is why many dogs that don’t need to be on thyroid meds are on them. That T4 reading is up and day on a daily basis. Often times a run down sick dog will show low levels. If u let the dog recover it’s level will often come back up. If you put it on pills and leave it on them how will u know if it still needs supplemented or not? I’m not a vet or expert, I only know what I paid to learn. Researching those on line would give u best answers.

Old Post 01-13-2022 07:42 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Thyroid

I will speak from my personal experience as it relates to me. I have an autoimmune disease where my thyroid has stopped working, I take a thyroid pill EVERY DAY 1 hour before any food. The amount I take is highly regulated and I have been on the same dosage for several years until recently. My levels had to be adjusted up recently as I had gained some extra weight. I suspect that dogs are no different and the amount needed would be based on the weight, a underweight dog would require less, but need more if their weight increases significantly. My honest advice to everyone would be to get a full panel check on the dog and let the vet dictate the required dosage. Contrary to what some seem to think the thyroid is NO LAUGHING matter and has a big effect on man or dog.I also, suspect that dogs just like humans inherit thyroid problems and I personally know of certain lines of dogs that all have thyroid problems. It most definitely can be and is inherited in most cases. Normal blood checks DO NOT check for thyroid levels, you have to request the thyroid to be checked. I had yearly checkups blood work etc. and NEVER knew I had thyroid issues until it got really bad and started affecting my heart. My cardiologist sent me for a thyroid test and mine was off the charts. Thyroid disease is easily treated but can be fatal if not treated. Dave

Old Post 01-13-2022 11:03 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote