UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hunt Director
Pages (7): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Here is a con to hunting hunt directors

quote:
Originally posted by ov_blues
If the hunt director is at the club he can assemble a panel as soon as one or two casts come back in and get the cast with the question back in the woods quicker because he is there to get it done. If a hunting hunt director is out in the woods he might not be able to do that as quickly because he might be one of the last casts in.

John if a club is well staffed and sombody wants to set there and there might be a club that has some ( unruly ) members and actually needs sombody there. But let’s make it a club option I mean you don’t need sombody to set there for a six dog hunt.

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-16-2019 12:22 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

With not having to hunt for placement at the local hunts anymore, why couldn't the deadline be extended if need be for a cast to complete their time because they had to come back in for a panel?

Old Post 11-16-2019 04:27 PM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

If there is only 1 cast, does the hunt director still have to sit at the club? Or if there is only 1 cast, how does the hunt director form a panel?

Old Post 11-16-2019 04:31 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
If there is only 1 cast, does the hunt director still have to sit at the club? Or if there is only 1 cast, how does the hunt director form a panel?

With whoever they can call to be on it. And yes per current rules HD is supposed to be there.
Personally I don't see why a phone conference couldn't be used.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 11-16-2019 06:37 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

If the question does not involve a scratchable offense and there aren't enough members present for a panel, can the hunt director have the panel the next day?

Old Post 11-16-2019 06:46 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jack Bingham
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dave

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
When ukc has to come up with the majority of the prize package for the $200,000 hunt out of their own pocket they will listen then.

Tar

No they'll just cancel the hunt.

A screw up on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

HOME OF

GRNitech PKC Platinum CH PR Mosquito Creek Danno's Buggs 2018 American Redbone Champion. 2019 World Champion Female. 2020 PURINA NATIONALS CH.

GRNITE CH Mosquito Creek Hank 2020 top 100

NITE CH SILVER CH Jersey Girl 2020 Top 100

GRNITE CH SILVER CH. Wipeout Small Pox 2020 Top 100

NITECH River Valley Rain

R.I.P.
GRNitech PKC CH GRCH Awesome Mosquito Crk. Lick 2016 World Champion Redbone Female

R.I.P.
DUAL GRAND PR ANDREWS MOSQUITO CREEK GO MAN SAM DNA-P

R.I.P.
GRNITECH PR Thunder creek Squeller 2cast wins NRCA. 4 cast wins AKC qualified for AKC 2009,2010,2011 world hunt. Qualified for 2008,2009 and 2010 UKC worlds. World Finalist at the 2010 UKC Worlds. Money won in PKC

R.I.P. NITECH PR Faith's Image ( 3-UKC 1st) cast win at NRCA 6TH AT ARCA Money won in PKC

Look us up on Facebook: Mosquito Creek Redbones

Old Post 11-17-2019 09:15 PM
Jack Bingham is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jack Bingham Click here to Send Jack Bingham a Private Message Click Here to Email Jack Bingham Visit Jack Bingham's homepage! Find more posts by Jack Bingham Add Jack Bingham to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Re: Dave

quote:
Originally posted by Jack Bingham
No they'll just cancel the hunt.

Jack we will have to wait and see. It’s their choice I don’t know what else to say to convince them.

Tar

Old Post 11-17-2019 09:26 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Think positive, I believe UKC is listening and I think they will come up with a solution that will please most of us. Letting the hunt director hunt at the smaller clubs would be a win for UKC and the Clubs. Let's look forward to the New Year and work together , things sure look promising new format that everyone wanted and the big dollars everyone thought we needed. Makes a man wish he was back in his prime just to think of the competition we should get this coming year. I am happy for those that will be in the race. Dave

Old Post 11-17-2019 10:29 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim Green
UKC Forum Member

If they compromise on this, maybe we can have some 1 hour hunts during the week....just saying.

Old Post 11-17-2019 11:45 PM
Tim Green is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Green Click here to Send Tim Green a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim Green Find more posts by Tim Green Add Tim Green to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Dave

I am already in my hunts are scheduled whatever happens I will play but sure would like to get the perfect trifecta I was pushing for in the beginning. Never been one to stop short of a goal once I set my mind to it lol.

Tar

Old Post 11-17-2019 11:55 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Now if you get to hunt, I expect you to make a good showing. You need to show your son that you still have the gusto, besides you may want a piece of the big pie that's coming. Lol. Dave

Old Post 11-18-2019 12:48 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim Green
UKC Forum Member

Re: Tar

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Now if you get to hunt, I expect you to make a good showing. You need to show your son that you still have the gusto, besides you may want a piece of the big pie that's coming. Lol. Dave

Dave,

Tar and I will make it work regardless of the outcome of this. We want people to know when they attend a hunt at our club it will be on the up and up. Great food, great fellowship....and a great hunting experience.

Tim

Old Post 11-18-2019 12:58 AM
Tim Green is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Green Click here to Send Tim Green a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim Green Find more posts by Tim Green Add Tim Green to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tim Green

I got confidence in you and Tar getting the job done, I am concerned about ALL of the small clubs scattered across the country, not enough Tim Greens and Tars to go around. Hopefully, things will work out for the best for all clubs. Dave

Old Post 11-18-2019 01:45 AM
Tim Green
UKC Forum Member

Dave

All we can take care of is what we control. I want all the clubs to make it, but if people continue to focus on the money side, they aren’t. We will have hunts, and do what it takes to have them. As I read some of the replies on this, I could only think that it wasn’t about the sport, it is about all kinds of other stuff. I feel like, even if one hunter shows up, it is our responsibility to ensure they have a great hunt and a great time. It is about coonhunting and being able to continue. Who knows, that one person may bring someone next time and now we have two. Just my thoughts. Thanks for the kind words Dave.

Tim

Old Post 11-18-2019 11:26 AM
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

Money side for any club should be the easy part. Here, I have footed the bills for the last 5 years and I am sure there are others that have done the same. Simply put, if a club wants to survive, it normally will, based on the genrosity of the few real members it has. The real variable in surviving is the amount of available lands it has to hunt on, and guides it can round up to use the land it has. In this area, that is becoming a very real issue, and there is nothing that anyone can do to change it. UKC could send 10,000.00 down here for a purse and it still would draw very few as for as guides go. No Hunt Director hunting would help that, and you could announce the MOH a month ahead of time and he/she be the best in the country, and you still don't change anything as far as ground. We moan and grown about things like a hunt director being able to hunt would change things. HOG WASH! Land owners are tired of their lands being encroached on by ole deep and lonely. If you want to save the sport, get a good handle on your dog, and keep them ON the available land you have to hunt. Our guides here won't guide because they know full well that someone will bring one of these dogs to their places and then the adjacent land owners start to complain, and soon they have no where to go. Oh the sport will survive easy enough, but this is the root of the sports trouble. Owners and handlers have to be responsible and man enough to withdraw and keep their hounds within the confines of the place their guides have carried them to hunt. BE RESPECTFUL of others and realize that winning at the expense of others losing their hunting priviledges is bad for ALL. The real world is stated above. I had the pleasure of talking with a gentlemen from the west and he stated that deer season is not a large problem for them. It is here. Land leases go on the average for $12-18.00 per acre with a lot of out of state folks paying as much as $25.00 per acre to hunt on. With a season the runs from September to Mid Janruary, it doesn't leave much good hunting time available, and that's if you can get the leasors to allow you to hunt during off season. Yep, let the hunt director hunt. That solves everything in most folks eyes, if they are blind. Our problems are GROUNDS TO HUNT ON. PUBLIC and PRIVATE. IN GEORGIA, deer hunting is a major business, and the dollars it draws can not be competed with by any other form of hunting, so go figure what is happening. No, its not a fault of any one person, but in our area, the deep and lonely has slam ruined the coon hunting. Let him get onto a lease and the trouble has begun, which it has, and will continue untill the small guy is done and gone. We are living the Walmart vs independent store thing in our sport and we don't want to admit it. We have to change our ways of hunting or we will lose the battle for sure. Yep, Let's focus on getting us a hunting director. That solves it all.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 11-18-2019 12:49 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Johnson
Money side for any club should be the easy part. Here, I have footed the bills for the last 5 years and I am sure there are others that have done the same. Simply put, if a club wants to survive, it normally will, based on the genrosity of the few real members it has. The real variable in surviving is the amount of available lands it has to hunt on, and guides it can round up to use the land it has. In this area, that is becoming a very real issue, and there is nothing that anyone can do to change it. UKC could send 10,000.00 down here for a purse and it still would draw very few as for as guides go. No Hunt Director hunting would help that, and you could announce the MOH a month ahead of time and he/she be the best in the country, and you still don't change anything as far as ground. We moan and grown about things like a hunt director being able to hunt would change things. HOG WASH! Land owners are tired of their lands being encroached on by ole deep and lonely. If you want to save the sport, get a good handle on your dog, and keep them ON the available land you have to hunt. Our guides here won't guide because they know full well that someone will bring one of these dogs to their places and then the adjacent land owners start to complain, and soon they have no where to go. Oh the sport will survive easy enough, but this is the root of the sports trouble. Owners and handlers have to be responsible and man enough to withdraw and keep their hounds within the confines of the place their guides have carried them to hunt. BE RESPECTFUL of others and realize that winning at the expense of others losing their hunting priviledges is bad for ALL. The real world is stated above. I had the pleasure of talking with a gentlemen from the west and he stated that deer season is not a large problem for them. It is here. Land leases go on the average for $12-18.00 per acre with a lot of out of state folks paying as much as $25.00 per acre to hunt on. With a season the runs from September to Mid Janruary, it doesn't leave much good hunting time available, and that's if you can get the leasors to allow you to hunt during off season. Yep, let the hunt director hunt. That solves everything in most folks eyes, if they are blind. Our problems are GROUNDS TO HUNT ON. PUBLIC and PRIVATE. IN GEORGIA, deer hunting is a major business, and the dollars it draws can not be competed with by any other form of hunting, so go figure what is happening. No, its not a fault of any one person, but in our area, the deep and lonely has slam ruined the coon hunting. Let him get onto a lease and the trouble has begun, which it has, and will continue untill the small guy is done and gone. We are living the Walmart vs independent store thing in our sport and we don't want to admit it. We have to change our ways of hunting or we will lose the battle for sure. Yep, Let's focus on getting us a hunting director. That solves it all.

Rock good post. Serious question tho here in Oklahoma you have flooding in the spring. Then deer season in the fall also July and august nobody wants to hunt because it’s 90 degrees at midnight so you got all the clubs in Oklahoma trying to schedule hunts in the same 5 months available. With a 100 mile conflict limit do you see a change needing to made there.

Tar

Old Post 11-18-2019 01:03 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Johnson

So is it the clubs fault or the guides fault for having a 10 acre patch to cut 3 or 4 dogs on? But then want to complain that the dogs go too deep. Next up is coon population in the spot you guide to. If you don't guide to a spot that has coons in it then what would you like the dogs to do? Make a 100 yard loop and come back? There's more issues than just the dogs. The other issues I've seen is guides that take you to a place that has very few coons but only have a very small area to cut loose on and that's coming from a guy that's never entered in a ukc cast just spectated on them. What I'm getting at is there's more to it than the dogs by far. I guess if your club could only hold 2 hunts a year then that would fix a bunch of this. The hunt numbers would be higher and the small clubs would fold up rather quickly. But there would be 50-60 dogs at every hunt right? I don't think so, you know just like everyone else does its the same 3-10 guys at every hunt. But what allowing the HD to hunt it would at least add another dog to the hunt if they wanted to hunt.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 11-18-2019 01:48 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
So is it the clubs fault or the guides fault for having a 10 acre patch to cut 3 or 4 dogs on? But then want to complain that the dogs go too deep. Next up is coon population in the spot you guide to. If you don't guide to a spot that has coons in it then what would you like the dogs to do? Make a 100 yard loop and come back? There's more issues than just the dogs. The other issues I've seen is guides that take you to a place that has very few coons but only have a very small area to cut loose on and that's coming from a guy that's never entered in a ukc cast just spectated on them. What I'm getting at is there's more to it than the dogs by far. I guess if your club could only hold 2 hunts a year then that would fix a bunch of this. The hunt numbers would be higher and the small clubs would fold up rather quickly. But there would be 50-60 dogs at every hunt right? I don't think so, you know just like everyone else does its the same 3-10 guys at every hunt. But what allowing the HD to hunt it would at least add another dog to the hunt if they wanted to hunt.

Eric usually that guy behind the desk is the guy with the best and most hunting spots he needs to be able to put out cast if the numbers pick up. Or I guess clubs could start advertising we only have hunting enough for 6 hunters first come first serve.

Tar

Old Post 11-18-2019 02:21 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

It sounds like we need another rule change.... Anytime that a dog gets out of pocket or gets on land that guide does not have permission to hunt on, time out must be called and handler has to go catch his dog even if he trees it. And you only have 30 minutes to get it and return to the cast.

Old Post 11-18-2019 03:05 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
It sounds like we need another rule change.... Anytime that a dog gets out of pocket or gets on land that guide does not have permission to hunt on, time out must be called and handler has to go catch his dog even if he trees it. And you only have 30 minutes to get it and return to the cast.

We ain’t got that problem I can put you in spots you can hunt 6 hrs in.

Tar

Old Post 11-18-2019 03:07 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I have spots that a good dog can hunt 3 hrs in but old deep and lonely will run through them in 20 min. But I only have a couple of 2-3 hr spots and no one wants to hunt them.

Old Post 11-18-2019 03:33 PM
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

Richard you see the point i was making. Where most dogs could hunt 2-4 hours in our spots, it only takes one to blow out one end and now we got a mess. I guess i failed to mention its 2.9 miles straight through, and about the same wide, but on the clock, a couple of the lonely dogs are clean through it in less than twenty minutes, not because they are not hunting, its because they are scared to death to be close to another dog. Its a man made problem, and one that costs everyone who likes to hunt, wetheryour track of land is large or small. It really doesn't matter to me anymore, i am to old to care, but if the future is the young, then there is none with this type of thing going on.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

Old Post 11-18-2019 06:05 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

Richard you see the point i was making. Where most dogs could hunt 2-4 hours in our spots, it only takes one to blow out one end and now we got a mess. I guess i failed to mention its 2.9 miles straight through, and about the same wide, but on the clock, a couple of the lonely dogs are clean through it in less than twenty minutes, not because they are not hunting, its because they are scared to death to be close to another dog. Its a man made problem, and one that costs everyone who likes to hunt, wetheryour track of land is large or small. It really doesn't matter to me anymore, i am to old to care, but if the future is the young, then there is none with this type of thing going on.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

Old Post 11-18-2019 06:05 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Eric usually that guy behind the desk is the guy with the best and most hunting spots he needs to be able to put out cast if the numbers pick up. Or I guess clubs could start advertising we only have hunting enough for 6 hunters first come first serve.

Tar

I agree to some extent.

Richard and Rock, if you guide to a place that just isn't big enough for 4 dogs to be able to tree 4 different coons then you probably shouldn't guide. That's all I'm saying. Now are some of the handlers to blame for the dogs going through a 3 mile section and not even hunting it, yes. But if you're basing your ground off of your dog that hunts around you (within 300-600 yards) but get torn up over someone else's dog going to find a coon at .75 or a mile then I'd say you're ground isn't very good or you don't like a dog that trees coon instead of slick den trees. How many dogs blow through these sections of woods without treeing a coon? How often does it happen?

Its not too uncommon here to cast a dog any given night and not get something going in 2 hours. It doesn't happen every night but it does happen just like any where in the country. I have been guilty of correcting a dog when it comes into another dog, but it came from a long ways off to get there. Not 200 yards but anything over 400, it better find its own to run. I personally like close and lonely dogs. The type that can tree any type of coon and look good doing it. But I don't like grass growing under their feet either. I like 1 to move around but hunt from the time its unsnapped and tree a coon whether its 50 yards or 2 miles.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 11-18-2019 08:48 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Mr Depue, are you saying that it is the guide's fault if a dog goes .75 to a mile to tree a coon? If a dog goes .75 at my house, it is out of hearing. Is it the guide's fault if the dogs get struck on every drop but they have a dead cast? Does every guide have to have a woods where dogs can tree 4 coons now? Most of my woods only have 1 coon. And I am the best guide at my club.

Old Post 11-18-2019 10:41 PM