UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dog Food for Coon Feeders?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
HickoryBlazin
UKC Forum Member

Dog Food for Coon Feeders?

Just wondering where the best place to purchase some reasonably priced dog food to put in some feeders located close to Charleston WV!!!!Thanks

GRNITECH DORSEYS GILLIGAN

GRCH GRNITECH GOLD RIVER LADY
SLONE'S INSANE CAIN x GOLD RIVER KEES
ALL GRAND

TRACK COMMANDER SI UKC 2nd and 3rd
TUFF MAN x TIMBER QUEEN ANN

D&L'S INSANE NOVA
TURPINS INSANE CAIN x GOLD RIVER JETTA

GILLIGAN'S NOCTURNAL STONE
GILLIGAN x NIGHT HEAT ABBIE
AKA GILLIGAN JR...

COON HUNTER BY THE GRACE OF GOD!!!

WE SUPPORT AND RECOMEND!!!!

EISENHUT DOG SUPPLIES
304-984-1430

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-27-2014 11:15 PM
HickoryBlazin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HickoryBlazin Click here to Send HickoryBlazin a Private Message Click Here to Email HickoryBlazin Find more posts by HickoryBlazin Add HickoryBlazin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

I usually go.to the dollar store. Most times I have a coupon from buying something there during the week. It'll be $5 off 25 dollar or more purchase on a sat. I then buy the little red bags of dog food. 6 of em for 4 something a bag. They are only 15lb bags but coons like it. It is the cheapest I can find.

Old Post 02-27-2014 11:49 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donald Bagley
UKC Forum Member

Tractor Supply has a 50lb bag for $10 and something. I think it's called doggy food. There or the dollar store like GA DAWG said is the cheapest I've found. The 15lb bags are easier to handle if you've got more than one feeder.

Buchanan, Ga.
(470) 891-0112

HOME OF,
PKC CH UKC CH GRNITECH 'PR' Duck's Hammering Buck
PKC GCH UKC GRNITECH Good Tyming Candy
PKC CH UKC NITECH Woodland Creek Demon

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN,
GRNITECH 'PR' Duck's Tree Talking Judy
PKC PCH UKC GRNITECH Smoky Mtn Out Of Pocket
PKC SCH UKC CH GRNITECH 'PR' "It's Show Time Lucy"
PKC CH UKC GRNITECH 'PR' Rolling Hills Little Sis HTX
PKC CH UKC CH 'PR' Yellow Hammer Jackie
PKC CH UKC CH NITECH 'PR' Treeing Super Star
PKC CH UKC GRNITECH 'PR' Raging Dixie II

WE USE AND RECOMMEND,
Havoc Hunting Supply

Old Post 02-28-2014 12:05 AM
Donald Bagley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donald Bagley Click here to Send Donald Bagley a Private Message Click Here to Email Donald Bagley Visit Donald Bagley's homepage! Find more posts by Donald Bagley Add Donald Bagley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

Where you at in Ga? My tractor supply has that doggy brand but its 13.99 and only 40lb

Old Post 02-28-2014 12:51 AM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigrig
UKC Forum Member

food4feeder

Go to local feed store & tell em u want a bag of 12% pellets i get it here n arkansas for $8 a 50lb bag.. coons eat it good.

Old Post 02-28-2014 03:39 AM
bigrig is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bigrig Click here to Send bigrig a Private Message Click Here to Email bigrig Find more posts by bigrig Add bigrig to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RAT Mafia
UKC Forum Member

Why are yall not buying or feeding corn? Much cheaper here.

Old Post 02-28-2014 04:02 AM
RAT Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RAT Mafia Click here to Send RAT Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email RAT Mafia Find more posts by RAT Mafia Add RAT Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
garminguru
UKC Forum Member

I had to pour a lot of that dollar store dog food out because the coons would not eat it, even with grape kool aid powder all over it. Your mileage may vary.
Including my tractor supply, Walmart olroy in the red, 50 lb bag is the cheapest dog food I have found that I can get the coons to eat consistently. That dollar store food is a few pennies per pound cheaper but I had zero luck with it.
I literally have price compared many places locally and 50lb red bag of olroy is the best I have found. I would not feed it to my dogs though.
You have to be careful, many folks will holler 50lb bag when in reality, there are very few dog food manufacturers who sell 50lb bags any more.
I have seen bags some guys thought was 50lbs but when you actually look at the weight on the bag, it is either 36 or 40lb!

Old Post 02-28-2014 05:11 AM
garminguru is offline Click Here to See the Profile for garminguru Click here to Send garminguru a Private Message Find more posts by garminguru Add garminguru to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
garminguru
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by RAT Mafia
Why are yall not buying or feeding corn? Much cheaper here.

Cheaper here too but what few coons we have, I prefer to feed them something a little more nutritious to help them through or help them raise more healthy litters.
If coons were thick and emptied my buckets every week or so, I would use corn too.
I have 2 buckets out now that see stretches of a month at a time without getting emptied, usually always last at least week even getting hit what I would call hard for my buckets.

Old Post 02-28-2014 05:16 AM
garminguru is offline Click Here to See the Profile for garminguru Click here to Send garminguru a Private Message Find more posts by garminguru Add garminguru to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

Garminguru. I had to do that once with some record rack deer pellets. Now Im rethinking what I posted today about the dollar store stuff. I've used it for a few yrs. They hammer it. Feed gone in about 5 days. Well.my latest filling will be 21 days ago come sat. I hunted close to 2 of those feeders tonight. They are still full!!! This place did have a bunch of coon before deer season. I can't hunt during it. Now seems like none but we had no acorns so they could be gone. It could also be the dog food. So tomorrow. Im going back and pour the feed out of those feeders and put in a different kind. I'll know if that's what it is by next week.

Old Post 02-28-2014 06:44 AM
garminguru
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by GA DAWG
Garminguru. I had to do that once with some record rack deer pellets. Now Im rethinking what I posted today about the dollar store stuff. I've used it for a few yrs. They hammer it. Feed gone in about 5 days. Well.my latest filling will be 21 days ago come sat. I hunted close to 2 of those feeders tonight. They are still full!!! This place did have a bunch of coon before deer season. I can't hunt during it. Now seems like none but we had no acorns so they could be gone. It could also be the dog food. So tomorrow. Im going back and pour the feed out of those feeders and put in a different kind. I'll know if that's what it is by next week.

I don't know what it was Michael and I know I have thin coon, but, that dog food sat in those 2 feeders for many weeks then I dumped koolaid powder over the food. The kool aid brought some coons in best I could tell but they still did not eat the food.

Old Post 02-28-2014 04:33 PM
mark booth
UKC Forum Member

I use soured corn. I buy it at tractor supply for 10 bucks for 50 lbs.
Let the corn soak in water for like a week. The coons love it and its the cheapest thing I've found. They eat a five gallon bucket n three days. I set a game camera up on it and I have pics of six coons eating at my feeder.
An old timer told me to use the soured corn because possum dont eat it. I didnt believe him. I had dog food in it and had a possum on the game cam then I switched over to the soured corn and haven't seen the possum since.
A friend yesterday gave me a 50 lb bag of this stuff called wildlife food it was 10 dollars a bag at local feed store It consist of peanuts cashews m&ms and various nuts I haven't tried it yet I will let everyone know how it does after I try it.

Old Post 02-28-2014 05:39 PM
mark booth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mark booth Click here to Send mark booth a Private Message Click Here to Email mark booth Find more posts by mark booth Add mark booth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

A friend yesterday gave me a 50 lb bag of this stuff called wildlife food it was 10 dollars a bag at local feed store It consist of peanuts cashews m&ms and various nuts I haven't tried it yet I will let everyone know how it does after I try it.

If the coon don't eat it all. You will be able to stop for a snack while hunting. LOL!

You can't fix STUPID!

Old Post 02-28-2014 06:58 PM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mark booth
UKC Forum Member

VERY FUNNY ITS ONE IN EVERY CROWD

Old Post 02-28-2014 08:07 PM
mark booth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mark booth Click here to Send mark booth a Private Message Click Here to Email mark booth Find more posts by mark booth Add mark booth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donald Bagley
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by GA DAWG
Where you at in Ga? My tractor supply has that doggy brand but its 13.99 and only 40lb

Dallas, Ga./ Rockmart, Ga.

Buchanan, Ga.
(470) 891-0112

HOME OF,
PKC CH UKC CH GRNITECH 'PR' Duck's Hammering Buck
PKC GCH UKC GRNITECH Good Tyming Candy
PKC CH UKC NITECH Woodland Creek Demon

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN,
GRNITECH 'PR' Duck's Tree Talking Judy
PKC PCH UKC GRNITECH Smoky Mtn Out Of Pocket
PKC SCH UKC CH GRNITECH 'PR' "It's Show Time Lucy"
PKC CH UKC GRNITECH 'PR' Rolling Hills Little Sis HTX
PKC CH UKC CH 'PR' Yellow Hammer Jackie
PKC CH UKC CH NITECH 'PR' Treeing Super Star
PKC CH UKC GRNITECH 'PR' Raging Dixie II

WE USE AND RECOMMEND,
Havoc Hunting Supply

Old Post 02-28-2014 10:52 PM
Donald Bagley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donald Bagley Click here to Send Donald Bagley a Private Message Click Here to Email Donald Bagley Visit Donald Bagley's homepage! Find more posts by Donald Bagley Add Donald Bagley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
marpal
UKC Forum Member

If you don't have hogs, you can just pour corn in creek, or water hole. It will sink and be out of reach of squirrels and mice. It swells up, and coons seem to really like it. Also keeps from having a feeder that gets to smelling like a coon.

Old Post 03-03-2014 05:42 AM
marpal is offline Click Here to See the Profile for marpal Click here to Send marpal a Private Message Click Here to Email marpal Find more posts by marpal Add marpal to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike kelly
UKC Forum Member

Sour corn is the best but freezes hear! Dog food way to expensive to feed coons even cheap dog food! Possums will eat the sour food I have pictures but deer won't!

Old Post 03-03-2014 06:26 AM
Mike kelly is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike kelly Click here to Send Mike kelly a Private Message Find more posts by Mike kelly Add Mike kelly to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Plott55
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by mark booth
I use soured corn. I buy it at tractor supply for 10 bucks for 50 lbs.
Let the corn soak in water for like a week. The coons love it and its the cheapest thing I've found. They eat a five gallon bucket n three days. I set a game camera up on it and I have pics of six coons eating at my feeder.
An old timer told me to use the soured corn because possum dont eat it. I didnt believe him. I had dog food in it and had a possum on the game cam then I switched over to the soured corn and haven't seen the possum since.

If you use sour corn put sugar in it and it will draw a lot more Coon and they generally want run to far when struck

Old Post 03-03-2014 03:32 PM
Plott55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Plott55 Click here to Send Plott55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Plott55 Find more posts by Plott55 Add Plott55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mhardy
UKC Forum Member

I pay 40.00 for a 55 gal barrel of corn.usually put about 4 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket and then fill with water .let it soak at home for three days then go pour it in my feeders.this comes to about 2.92 a feeder.usually works as good as anything i`ve tried.i place game cameras on the feeders to see whats feeding and the time when the activity is the highest.my feeders are made from the bottom of a 55 gal plastic drum and i can slide the around any where i need them.works good for me.........

Old Post 03-03-2014 07:34 PM
mhardy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mhardy Click here to Send mhardy a Private Message Click Here to Email mhardy Find more posts by mhardy Add mhardy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
STROKIN
UKC Forum Member

If you have to buy feed then corn will be the cheapest. I get free dog food and I use that. I use 5 gallon buckets. It my take a while before they start on them but once they do they hit them good. I usually have to fill them up every two weeks

Old Post 03-03-2014 10:58 PM
STROKIN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for STROKIN Click here to Send STROKIN a Private Message Click Here to Email STROKIN Find more posts by STROKIN Add STROKIN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Scary Creek
UKC Forum Member

whitts farm supply in hurricane which is a southern states has 40 lb for like 12.99 cheapest ive found , but they have corn for 7.00 for 50 lb , I tried mixing corn and dog feed and coon would scrap corn out on ground and eat only the dog food , deer n turkeys eat the corn . ive been buying loafs of cheap bread at krogers 10 for 10 dollars and mixing it with corn and pancake syrup making like a paste and they wear it out .

Nite Champion R & B's Hogback Boyd HTX
Nite Champion Bell Mountain Buster
Nite Champion Show Ch Bell Mountain Megan
( 2012 WV Governor's Cup Hunt Champion )

- Use and Recommend Anthony’s Dog Supply -

Old Post 03-03-2014 11:15 PM
Scary Creek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Scary Creek Click here to Send Scary Creek a Private Message Click Here to Email Scary Creek Find more posts by Scary Creek Add Scary Creek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote