UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > LED vs 5100
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bondo
UKC Forum Member

LED vs 5100

I am looking into getting a new light. Is the LED head worth the money compared to the 5100. I am looking at Valley Creek, Pro-light, K-light, and Nite moves lights. Any suggestions.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-30-2011 05:57 PM
Bondo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bondo Click here to Send Bondo a Private Message Click Here to Email Bondo Find more posts by Bondo Add Bondo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Virgil
UKC Forum Member

Yes

Old Post 06-30-2011 06:03 PM
Virgil is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Virgil Click here to Send Virgil a Private Message Click Here to Email Virgil Find more posts by Virgil Add Virgil to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gentry's English
UKC Forum Member

I think so no more blowen bulbs and supper bright I have the brighteyes supper six.

GRCH PR Oney's Indian Creek Big Echo (GR NT CH Oney's Outback Dan X Oney's Pearl) 2013 World Qualifier

Old Post 06-30-2011 06:10 PM
Gentry's English is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gentry's English Click here to Send Gentry's English a Private Message Click Here to Email Gentry's English Find more posts by Gentry's English Add Gentry's English to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ashley Pratt
UKC Forum Member

I'm perfectly content with a 5100, you need a coon in the tree before you can start blaming about your light. I find most of my coons regardless of time of year and i don't think there's a huge difference in making them look. JMO

Old Post 06-30-2011 06:37 PM
Ashley Pratt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ashley Pratt Click here to Send Ashley Pratt a Private Message Click Here to Email Ashley Pratt Find more posts by Ashley Pratt Add Ashley Pratt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ashley Pratt
I'm perfectly content with a 5100, you need a coon in the tree before you can start blaming about your light. I find most of my coons regardless of time of year and i don't think there's a huge difference in making them look. JMO

Me too. I had an LED and sold it back and stick with my 5100. Really the # of blown bulbs I have had in the years could be counted on 1 had and all of them was operator error on my part. Personally I just like the hue of the light the 5100 gives. If I want a whiter light I just put on a blue tint lense.

To each his own though, LED's sure seem popular so there must be something to them, they just weren't for me.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 06-30-2011 06:52 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
longshot
UKC Forum Member

I've got both and here's the deal in my opinion.

The LED's are light weight , hold charges forever , no blown bulbs, and usually no cords on most models.... With all those positives said,,, I absolutely hate the white light of most led's. It makes me colorblind as a newspaper and sometimes slightly disoriented and it is harder for me to find coons with it.

The 5100's are a workhorse light that is the standard of coon hunting. They are reliable and easy to see with the yellow colored light that is natural to human eyes... The down side is the cord , the weight and maintaining bulbs and charging...

So you see there are tradeoff's on which is best... Personally I like the 5100's better , but I'll sure admit they ain't as handy as LED's...

I would like to try out some yellow lenses on a LED and see if I like the color better since that is my main complaint with LED's at this time.

Old Post 06-30-2011 07:04 PM
longshot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for longshot Click here to Send longshot a Private Message Find more posts by longshot Add longshot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

I much prefer the LED heads but this thing about saving on blown bulbs is a little bit overplayed. I have blown maybe 2 bulbs in the woods in all my years of hunting. Carrying an extra bulb is simple enough. On the other hand, I have seen twice that many LED heads go dead in the woods. Yes, they were all fixed after being sent back and at no charge other than the 10 bucks shipping but that is double the cost and a couple of hundreds times more time spent fixing the problem as opposed to changing a bulb. But with that said, I will stick to my LED head. I like it. And I keep a yellow pop cover on my Boss head about all the time.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 06-30-2011 07:04 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
longshot
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
And I keep a yellow pop cover on my Boss head about all the time.

Jim , we must have posted at the same time above.... Does that yellow pop cover do a pretty good job of duplicating the light of the 5100's ? If so , that would prolly change my opinion of LED lights.

Old Post 06-30-2011 07:16 PM
longshot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for longshot Click here to Send longshot a Private Message Find more posts by longshot Add longshot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bondo
UKC Forum Member

Any opinions on the lights?

Old Post 06-30-2011 07:46 PM
Bondo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bondo Click here to Send Bondo a Private Message Click Here to Email Bondo Find more posts by Bondo Add Bondo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gentry's English
UKC Forum Member

I use pop covers on my led head also. I think the pop covers make a big diffrence I use red and yellow. and very rare take one of them off.

GRCH PR Oney's Indian Creek Big Echo (GR NT CH Oney's Outback Dan X Oney's Pearl) 2013 World Qualifier

Old Post 06-30-2011 08:09 PM
Gentry's English is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gentry's English Click here to Send Gentry's English a Private Message Click Here to Email Gentry's English Find more posts by Gentry's English Add Gentry's English to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
7coondawg
UKC Forum Member

lights

one good thing about the LED head is that you dont get as many "miscetos" after you durning the summer cause it dont burn as hot.

Old Post 06-30-2011 08:10 PM
7coondawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 7coondawg Click here to Send 7coondawg a Private Message Click Here to Email 7coondawg Find more posts by 7coondawg Add 7coondawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chris simmons
UKC Forum Member

I like the led hads. Like Jim, I keep a yellow lens on mine and it works great.Money well spent.

Old Post 06-30-2011 08:10 PM
chris simmons is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chris simmons Click here to Send chris simmons a Private Message Click Here to Email chris simmons Find more posts by chris simmons Add chris simmons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WVHunter304
UKC Forum Member

I love my LED light but i bought a yellow pop cover and i find more coons with the yellow light then the white light.
And the coons look alot more with the yellow light.

Old Post 06-30-2011 08:57 PM
WVHunter304 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WVHunter304 Click here to Send WVHunter304 a Private Message Click Here to Email WVHunter304 Find more posts by WVHunter304 Add WVHunter304 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kevin D. Smith
UKC Forum Member

I like my LED head from Valley Creek. I would recommend a yellow lens also, because it is a strong white light, even on the first click. If you go with a LED you can get by with a smaller battery pack too.

Wipeout Slacker
2013 CHKC Va. State Champion
PKC Silver Ch, CHKC Ch, UKC Nt Ch, AKC Nt Ch

Delta Dawn
2014 CHKC Va. State Champion
CHKC Ch (Over $5000 won), UKC Ch Nt Ch

Old Post 06-30-2011 09:15 PM
Kevin D. Smith is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin D. Smith Click here to Send Kevin D. Smith a Private Message Click Here to Email Kevin D. Smith Find more posts by Kevin D. Smith Add Kevin D. Smith to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GLANCY'S 7 MILE
UKC Forum Member

LED VS. 5100

I own both and use both of them.

The LED is a burn all night, really clear bright light. You don't have to charge your light has much, you don't blow bulbs, and the head don't get hott. I prefer to use mine in the Winter time when the leaves are off. They are much brighter and even with pop covers on, they still seem to bright in the Summer time.

The 5100 burns down easier, their heavier, they get HOTT when on the bright side, but I really like the low and high sides of a 5100 better then the low and high sides of a LED head. I've found alot more coons with the 5100 head then the LED.

JMO the LED is more convient, but I like the 5100 just a little better main reason I still seem to find coons easier with the low side of the 5100 head in the summer time with the leaves on.

GRNITECH PKC CH 'PR' HARD KNOCKIN STYLISH MAC (RIP)
GRNITECH X2 PKC CH 'PR' GLANCY'S 7 MILE CLYDE
NITECH PKC CH 'PR' GLANCY'S 7 MILE MERCY

Old Post 06-30-2011 09:17 PM
GLANCY'S 7 MILE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GLANCY'S 7 MILE Click here to Send GLANCY'S 7 MILE a Private Message Click Here to Email GLANCY'S 7 MILE Visit GLANCY'S 7 MILE's homepage! Find more posts by GLANCY'S 7 MILE Add GLANCY'S 7 MILE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hunting24/7
UKC Forum Member

not evem a competition LED any day of the weeek

Wild Style Walkers
Home of:
'PR' Hands Wild Style Tuff

Old Post 06-30-2011 10:51 PM
Hunting24/7 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hunting24/7 Click here to Send Hunting24/7 a Private Message Find more posts by Hunting24/7 Add Hunting24/7 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greg stull
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Ashley Pratt
WHAT THE HELL DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH BONDOS QUESTION?

Old Post 07-01-2011 12:32 AM
greg stull is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greg stull Click here to Send greg stull a Private Message Click Here to Email greg stull Find more posts by greg stull Add greg stull to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l.lyle
Banned

I prefer the led head for Flounder gigging. It will last the whole tide on high.

Old Post 07-01-2011 12:35 AM
l.lyle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l.lyle Click here to Send l.lyle a Private Message Click Here to Email l.lyle Find more posts by l.lyle Add l.lyle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

LED..Come on. Get with times yall. You can't even see the 5100 light when shining the LED with it. I can light a tree up and they still look. I use a pop cover to keep bugs away.

Old Post 07-01-2011 12:52 AM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
groworg1
UKC Forum Member

own both a 21 volt k light and the new g 2 helmet light love the led but does screw up my garmin but man can you find them coon love both lights compared to old days of wheat light and nite lights and d battery lights of yesterday

Old Post 07-01-2011 01:25 AM
groworg1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for groworg1 Click here to Send groworg1 a Private Message Click Here to Email groworg1 Find more posts by groworg1 Add groworg1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dusty Manning
UKC Forum Member

I dont want to start a new thred so i am going to ask my question with a 5100 you can switch to high and see the whole tree can you do that with the led? That would be the only reason iwould stay with the 5100

Old Post 07-01-2011 01:37 AM
Dusty Manning is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dusty Manning Click here to Send Dusty Manning a Private Message Click Here to Email Dusty Manning Find more posts by Dusty Manning Add Dusty Manning to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l.lyle
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Dusty Manning
I dont want to start a new thred so i am going to ask my question with a 5100 you can switch to high and see the whole tree can you do that with the led? That would be the only reason iwould stay with the 5100

The spot gets brighter as you turn the knob. The perifory part of it does cover the tree and it is plenty bright enough to see eyes but probably not tail and so on. It takes some getting used to. I start shining on the way to it from 200 yards if I can see that far . Not that I stop and look, just pay attention . I find most before I get to the tree.

Old Post 07-01-2011 02:31 AM
l.lyle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l.lyle Click here to Send l.lyle a Private Message Click Here to Email l.lyle Find more posts by l.lyle Add l.lyle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dusty Manning
UKC Forum Member

Ya i use a k-light 21 v package and when i flip it to high on the head i can see the whole tree from top to bottom.. I usually find them on low about click three and thats bright enuf for me so find the coon

Old Post 07-01-2011 02:59 AM
Dusty Manning is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dusty Manning Click here to Send Dusty Manning a Private Message Click Here to Email Dusty Manning Find more posts by Dusty Manning Add Dusty Manning to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T Felderman
UKC Forum Member

I'd go with the LED.

My buddy Gus couldnt find a coon if it fell on his head. He got a new competition light and all I can say is wow.

Old Post 07-01-2011 03:24 AM
T Felderman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T Felderman Click here to Send T Felderman a Private Message Find more posts by T Felderman Add T Felderman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bondo
UKC Forum Member

What do you mean is screwed up your garmin? Has anybody else had a problem with this?

Old Post 07-01-2011 12:26 PM