UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Understanding Dogs is easier that Understanding People
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Understanding Dogs is easier that Understanding People

Lets talk Big Country. A dog that came upon the scene and has made quite a name for himself. Rightfully so and I sure don't want to be negative towards him in any way. Just want to see what is in the minds of fellow coonhunters.

On Facebook I see people wanting to breed dog after dog to him. Many if not most are from different breeds. For years there have been top dogs in all breeds. But the none seem to draw the attention of being crossed into a different breed like Big Country.

Again. I wish the owners and handlers nothing but the best.

What is in the mind of coonhunters lining up for a pup.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-16-2019 01:07 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

I suspect a lot of guys want to mix up the gene pool a little with the hope they get a hardier hound and they want to do it with a winner. That would be my reason but I'm not a breeder

Last edited by sleepy head on 08-16-2019 at 01:32 PM

Old Post 08-16-2019 01:22 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

But you don't see bluetick owners lining up to breed their good females to him. Why is that? The human mind is hard to fathom.

Old Post 08-16-2019 01:27 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Bruce you are seeing a shift in the force. People are tired of the health problems from all this too tight breeding. They are tired of the 2 yr old ambush type no nose more empty trees than coons.

They want to hunt a high caliber coondog no matter how it is bred. To many walker breeders are charging high prices and making big promises that never come to fruit.

To many dogs with this new format are getting titles they don’t deserve exzample : 3 ole buddy’s show up to a hunt nobody else shows up. They pay the hunt packet fee plus $2 a dog for 9 dogs 3 dogs get a win may not even go hunting. No scorecards sent in no results posted in the book nobody will know. When you get pedigrees stacked with dogs that got their titles that way people know it they want as far away from that as they can get.

Just my opinion.

Tar

Old Post 08-16-2019 01:30 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

Bruce

People want to breed winners. That is why different breeds are being bred to him. His performance against all the top hounds in all areas of the country are proving he can compete against the 'best of the best' & win. His pedigree is as good as any that can be put on paper for the Bluetick breed. He can pop'em close or tree'em deep on tracks that need a dog with a decent nose to get the track finished. With the opening of xbred registrations, it opens up the opportunity to use top genetics of other breeds to clean up health issues like sleepy head said.

Also, owners of Big Country will not breed any/all females that want to order semen. They want to know that it is a top COON DOG with good genetics before approving a breeding to him. I have hunted with several out of him, both bluetick & xbred & will predict right now, Big Country will be easily be at the top of Reproducers listings in the next 2 years (& many years to come) of different registries.

Richard, some of that comes from to many 'cliques' in our breed that won't touch anything, but there own line bred stuff. Hope no one takes offense to me using these names, but TOO many will only hunt Jet breds, Uchtmans' bred or Smokey River breds in there kennels. In my opinion, even Bluetick breeders need to wake up & use the 'best of the best' our breed has to offer to come up with better hounds.

yadkintar, I agree with points you brought up about using him in walker females. Recently sold just turned year old male to Walker hunter that was sick & tied of having to go so far to get dog because his young dog was only getting deep to find a popup. Never tried to tree close because he didn't have enough nose to tree a tough track & have a coon in the tree in his thin coon territory. Another friend in Wisc. is hunting nice young tree dog for another fella in state, but told me the dog hadn't made a tree all week under 1000 yards before it got treed. Was covering way TOO much ground before even looking for a track. In coon country like we have in midwest, a dog should NEVER have to go more than 300 yards to find a track & then, have enough nose & brains to run & tree this coon.

I definitely am not a top bluetick breeder in any way, but after seeing Steve Burkholder take the controls of putting this dog in hunts & the pedigree this dog carries, it made it real easy for me to choose him as the sire of my next litter coming out of GrNtCh Pkc Ch Jo-ann. She is one of last females to be able to reproduce from one of the best crosses ever made in the bluetick breed, Boomer/Ruby, that produced top dogs from all 4 times it was made. They may not all make top hounds, but I will be greatly disappointed, if there are not several that do make their mark in the bluetick breed. JMO. Take care, Ron.

ps- Hope to see several of you at AO in a couple weeks. Stop in at Rolin Blues pickup for a visit by the camper, Wed. thru Sat.

Old Post 08-16-2019 04:29 PM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Rolin Blues, back in the early 70's I got a couple blue tick pups from a lady named Cathy Jones from Dixon, Iowa. She seemed like she knew what she was doing with her hounds. I know that was a long time ago, but any chance you have heard of her.

Old Post 08-16-2019 05:39 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

Not really

But was just getting into competition hunts in March, '70. Only live about 40 miles from Dixon, so will 'nose around' & see if anyone from around here remember anything about her kennel. I am 20 miles SW of Dubuque on eastern end of state. Was just pleasure/competition hunting grade blue dogs back then. 80 dog hunts back then was about 75% grade dogs/25% reg. dogs for 3 hrs. Old body couldn't take that anymore!! Take care, Ron.

Old Post 08-16-2019 05:55 PM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

Isn’t breeding to the next big winner what caused most of the problems you all are talking about? How is breeding to a different breed gonna fix the problems you have within your breed?

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 08-16-2019 07:10 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by HOBO
Isn’t breeding to the next big winner what caused most of the problems you all are talking about? How is breeding to a different breed gonna fix the problems you have within your breed?

The short cuts people took to make it look like they had a winner vs reproducer that’s what made it where you just really don’t know what your getting all just to make a $$$ i hunt walkers and for years I have kinda stayed with what I know and I still get duds.

Tar

Old Post 08-16-2019 07:57 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Not really

quote:
Originally posted by Rolin Blues
But was just getting into competition hunts in March, '70. Only live about 40 miles from Dixon, so will 'nose around' & see if anyone from around here remember anything about her kennel. I am 20 miles SW of Dubuque on eastern end of state. Was just pleasure/competition hunting grade blue dogs back then. 80 dog hunts back then was about 75% grade dogs/25% reg. dogs for 3 hrs. Old body couldn't take that anymore!! Take care, Ron.

Yes...it has been said many times before in years gone bye

Old Post 08-16-2019 08:01 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Not really

quote:
Originally posted by Rolin Blues

Yes...it has been said many times before in years gone bye

We really shouldn’t be looking at one dog to breed to...sire and dam must be of same caliber and grandsire and grand-dam the same is a plus...I focus more on that than if is the dog is a great reproducer...

Old Post 08-16-2019 08:06 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by HOBO

I meant to quote on your comment and accidentally quoted on Robin Blues...

I will add this as well..

A wise king one said this to his son...
It is better to marry a fair maiden from a family known for great men and sophisticated and women than to marry a sophisticated and beautiful maiden from a large family of peasants...

Old Post 08-16-2019 08:18 PM