UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Garmin Questions?
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Garmin Questions?

I know everyone has improved their skills with their Garmin but I really enjoy trying to figure out your questions and giving some help if I can.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-05-2018 12:52 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JHayes
UKC Forum Member

Hey Mr Conkey
How do we go about getting Garmin to put more colors on the handheld
For guys that run several dogs at once it’s nice to have the track color match the dogs collar color.

Old Post 06-05-2018 02:15 PM
JHayes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JHayes Click here to Send JHayes a Private Message Click Here to Email JHayes Find more posts by JHayes Add JHayes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Jimmys alpha went from yards to miles last night and we couldn't figure out how to change it back.

Tar

Old Post 06-05-2018 02:20 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Billy Garrison
UKC Forum Member

I have a questions also.....how do you get dog icon back on map page instead of pointer? Thanks as always Bruce!

Old Post 06-05-2018 02:45 PM
Billy Garrison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy Garrison Click here to Send Billy Garrison a Private Message Click Here to Email Billy Garrison Find more posts by Billy Garrison Add Billy Garrison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

First Mr. Garrison, I saw where you sent me a PM yesterday and I forgot to get back with you. I apologize for that. Now to your question.

I will assume your talking about a ALPJA handheld. Go to the map page and then menu.

There are three things in the middle of the menu that is helpful. Your going to see Show/Hide Dog status. That changes the icon form a dog to an arrow. Then you will see Show/Hide Dog Distances and that will put the distance the dog if from you and last but not least is Show/Hide dogs names. To some the menu is backwards. If you see the word hide then that means the name, distance or dog icon is on the screen. If you see show, then it means they are not. Only an arrow. That is because SHOW is the option it gives you to select.

Old Post 06-05-2018 03:50 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Tar from the home page select setup. Then scroll two pages till you see the menu bar for units. Select that and the top selection should say DISTANCE/SPEED and yards below that.

When in yards the handheld will show feet when real close and then swap to yards and at about 850 yards or so, swap to miles. I think .6 miles is where it swaps to miles. Think I saw .5 once but it was late at night. The swapping is an auto when you have YARDS selected.

Old Post 06-05-2018 03:54 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Hayes. Mine has 16 colors if I counted them correctly. Are you wanting more than that. I know it will hold 20 collars and 20 color selections therefore 20 is probably what it should be. Lot of guys match the track color to the collar color and many go to the ten most common colors and get get a reflective collar that has the same 10 colors as the solid ones they have. I know it won't help on the screen but they then put a R in front of the dogs name to help them keep it straight.

The truth for me is I am color blind and about 6 of them colors is all I see. lol

Old Post 06-05-2018 04:00 PM
JHayes
UKC Forum Member

Thank you Mr Conkey
I had a yellow on mine done an update and it’s gone
Garmin told me there never was a yellow lol
Heck maybe I’m color blind as well haha
Thanks for the info

Old Post 06-05-2018 04:13 PM
JHayes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JHayes Click here to Send JHayes a Private Message Click Here to Email JHayes Find more posts by JHayes Add JHayes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I think I have yellow on mine, any least I call it yellow.

If you don't have a lot of saved stuff you would loose, then a master reset would probably bring it back.

Old Post 06-05-2018 04:59 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

How do you clear archived tracks without doing it one at a time?

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 06-05-2018 06:05 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Joey there always has to be one person in the crowd that ask something I can't answer. lol On the handheld the only way I know is ONE at a time. I am sure I could pug it into the computer and either by going into the file or using base camp eliminate more than one at a time. However I would not recommend that to anyone that any less than very good computer experience. You delete the wrong file and your handheld is useless.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 06-05-2018 at 06:44 PM

Old Post 06-05-2018 06:21 PM
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Jimmys alpha went from yards to miles last night and we couldn't figure out how to change it back.

Tar

what jimmy do start hunting walkers and left blue dog at home !!

Old Post 06-05-2018 06:35 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Joey there always has to be one person in the crowd that ask something I can't answer. lol On the handheld the only way I know is ONE at a time. I am sure I could pug it into the computer and either by going into the file or using base camp eliminate more than one at a time. However I would not recommend that to anyone that any less than very good computer experience. You delete the wrong file and your handheld is useless.

Thats not what I wanted to hear Bruce.

I turn mine on every time before I leave the house to make sure everything is working. So I have 2 archived tracks for each time I have went. Its taking a long dang time!

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 06-05-2018 07:32 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by CHEWBACH
what jimmy do start hunting walkers and left blue dog at home !!

He is a registered X bred now lol ( still a half n half to me ) but we had a good hunt going again tonight I got to fix his Garmin I am going to start calling him thumbs Davis lol.

Tar

Old Post 06-05-2018 08:11 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tom anderson
UKC Forum Member

Joey set your setting where it delete your tracks daily instead of when full it will delete every day at midnight or it does mine anyway

Old Post 06-06-2018 02:24 AM
Tom anderson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tom anderson Click here to Send Tom anderson a Private Message Find more posts by Tom anderson Add Tom anderson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Braddo28
UKC Forum Member

I dont have a garmin but am looking into getting a tracking collar so this might be a dumb question, but does the charger charge both the collar and the remote or does one take regular batteries?

Old Post 06-06-2018 10:59 PM
Braddo28 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Braddo28 Click here to Send Braddo28 a Private Message Click Here to Email Braddo28 Find more posts by Braddo28 Add Braddo28 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tom anderson
UKC Forum Member

Depending on the one you get

Old Post 06-06-2018 11:24 PM
Tom anderson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tom anderson Click here to Send Tom anderson a Private Message Find more posts by Tom anderson Add Tom anderson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
F bond
UKC Forum Member

I have a tt-15 that shows I'm tracking the collar even after the collar is shut off. If you go to collar info on the handheld it shows that the collar has gps signal and good communication with handheld. It has done this twice now first time the dogs crossed over the Ridge and I lost all the collars but this one it showed it staying in the same spot. Drove around to the other side and picked all the collars back up. When I shut collars off 10 minutes later handheld was still showing the collar where I had shut it off and had 3 bars gps signal and full communication with handheld and collar. Second time the collar had went dead but handheld was showing the collar in different spot with 1 bar battery and full gps and communication. Makes a man want to throw it over the hill when you have a handheld showing the dog at 575 yards treed and the dog is 5feet from you on a lead and the collar is off.

Old Post 06-08-2018 09:22 PM
F bond is offline Click Here to See the Profile for F bond Click here to Send F bond a Private Message Click Here to Email F bond Find more posts by F bond Add F bond to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Some things I would do. Master reset the collar. Update the collar. Update your handheld. That is where i would start. If that was done and it still acts up. I would change the ID number on the collar. In other words a slight frequency change might clear things up. I dont know if there power lines in the area or a communications tower on the ridge. But worth a try for just a couple minutes of pushing some buttons. If the collar is less than a year old you also have the option of getting a replacement under warrnty. I know this stuff can be fustrating and hard to explain at times. But a smalle change in ID numbers can make the difference.

Old Post 06-08-2018 10:30 PM
markwood
UKC Forum Member

questions

bruce i got 1 for ya i run 2 alphas on 7 dogs at same time one of my tt10 collars keeps loosing comms on only 1 of the alphas i have updated everything changed ids multiple times and this still happens it is always same collar and same alpha the collar tracks fine on 2nd alpha any clue how to fix

Old Post 06-09-2018 02:09 PM
markwood is offline Click Here to See the Profile for markwood Click here to Send markwood a Private Message Click Here to Email markwood Find more posts by markwood Add markwood to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Mark unfortunately I think you have stumped me. Appreciate all the information you gave on the problem as it helped me to understand I was stumped. LOL The only thing I can think to ask is. Do you always put this one collar on one particular dog. Do you run any other tracking collars with this collar.
I have seen sometimes a shorter dog in thick stuff have more issues than a taller dog.
Seven Collars tells me your a rabbit hunter or bear hunter, maybe Yotes. If that collar is always on the same dog. I would try swapping it to another dog. If you have beagles this may be the small necked one and the GPS antenna is setting to far to the side and not on top. If you can add anything to the situation please do so.

Old Post 06-09-2018 03:04 PM
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Bruce I use a 320 with an Il chip with a t5. in an area I hunt my map goes black just showing the roads and an arrow showing the dog. ???

Old Post 06-10-2018 07:10 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Does it show detail in some areas and just black in the area you hunt. Have to start out with where your at and what map card you have in there. Then if it works for one area and not another it either has a dead spot in the map or the coverage stops before you get to your hunting ground.

Old Post 06-11-2018 12:34 AM
markwood
UKC Forum Member

alpha

i have bear hounds and yea i run a marshall collars mounted on the tt 10 collars this collar is ran on a smaller dog though so i will try switching it up never thought about that ive been thinking the problem is with the alpha since the 1 is all that looses comms but ill try this week and let you know

Old Post 06-11-2018 01:09 AM
markwood is offline Click Here to See the Profile for markwood Click here to Send markwood a Private Message Click Here to Email markwood Find more posts by markwood Add markwood to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dwoods
UKC Forum Member

Maps

What’s the best mapping system in your opinion

Old Post 06-11-2018 10:44 PM
Dwoods is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dwoods Click here to Send Dwoods a Private Message Click Here to Email Dwoods Find more posts by Dwoods Add Dwoods to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote