UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Tender foot dogs
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Texcooner
UKC Forum Member

Tender foot dogs

What is the best way to toughen a dogs pads? Where I usually hunt is sandy with no rocks. The last few months I've been hunting in a very rocky area about once a week. It's a long drive but the hunting is a lot better than it is close by. The problem is my dog can barely walk for about four days after hunting in those rocks. Does that tuf-foot stuff that you put on their pads work ? I've been putting some stuff called Cut Pad on his feet. Hasn't helped . Every time I hunt up there his are shredded. Any suggestions?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-18-2019 11:40 PM
Texcooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Texcooner Click here to Send Texcooner a Private Message Click Here to Email Texcooner Find more posts by Texcooner Add Texcooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

http://uplandjournal.ipbhost.com/to...he-dog39s-foot/

Seems like tuff foot might be the way to go just don’t over do it according to this link...let us know what works for your dog...

Old Post 10-18-2019 11:58 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Randy Williams
UKC Forum Member

Alum powders mixed pretty strong in warm water. Put it in a widemouth quart jar, soak 3 times a day for a week, then 2 times a day for another week, and once a day for another week. Had a dog that one turnout would make her feet raw. A old man told me to do this and it worked. Never had another problem with her feet.

Old Post 10-19-2019 04:20 AM
Randy Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Williams Click here to Send Randy Williams a Private Message Click Here to Email Randy Williams Find more posts by Randy Williams Add Randy Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

For fast recovery of really tore up feet...not for toughening but for quick recovery if an issue...

One 250 mil amoxicillin in the morning and another in the evening and spray cut heal on pads and feet twice a day for a week to ten days...

You can leave out the amoxicillin if pads are not that injured but the cut heal twice a day will minimize the heal time on most any cut on a dog from what I have seen...

Old Post 10-19-2019 10:29 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Leon Keys
UKC Forum Member

Blue Kote

You might give the Blue Kote Spray a try. I have a splay footed dog that has chronic pad issues. It has helped him. I spray it on before and after a hunt. Wear gloves if you try it. It’s nasty stuff and hard to get off your hands, kennel, truck, and dog box.

Old Post 10-19-2019 04:10 PM
Leon Keys is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Leon Keys Click here to Send Leon Keys a Private Message Click Here to Email Leon Keys Find more posts by Leon Keys Add Leon Keys to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Texcooner
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the advice. I will try your suggestions. I've been using the cut heal and it does seem to help the pads recover a little faster. I appreciate the help

Old Post 10-19-2019 04:42 PM
Texcooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Texcooner Click here to Send Texcooner a Private Message Click Here to Email Texcooner Find more posts by Texcooner Add Texcooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote