UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Beagles > CCBC DEC. 17&18 hunt change
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Sundown Beagles
UKC Forum Member

CCBC DEC. 17&18 hunt change

Coshocton County Beagle Clubs Dec 17 & 18 Hunting Beagle event has been changed to Dec 10 & 11. This is due to the deer gun season on the 17 & 18. This will remain an NHBA Super Sectional with the same deadline times. I am sorry for any inconvenience as we are not permitted to run dogs during our deer gun season.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-14-2016 08:06 PM
Sundown Beagles is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sundown Beagles Click here to Send Sundown Beagles a Private Message Click Here to Email Sundown Beagles Find more posts by Sundown Beagles Add Sundown Beagles to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sundown Beagles
UKC Forum Member

It is with deep regret and disappointment that I will contact UKC in the morning to switch this hunt back to the original dates of Dec 17 & 18. We were told by NHBA that if it were moved they would pull the Sectional status. Therefore we will do our best to insure a good hunt but rest assured attendees will be required to wear hunter orange. PLEASE REFER TO ODNR FOR REQUIREMENTS. Coshocton county is the largest deer kill within the state with 2,420 deer killed in 2015. Many of our private spots will be unusable and public hunting may be needed. We chose to move due to safety reasons for both hunter and hound. We again will do our best to to insure to the best of our ability a SAFE and good hunt.

Old Post 11-15-2016 12:49 AM
Sundown Beagles is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sundown Beagles Click here to Send Sundown Beagles a Private Message Click Here to Email Sundown Beagles Find more posts by Sundown Beagles Add Sundown Beagles to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VICKY B
UKC Forum Member

Really dangerous for dogs n hunters.

Old Post 11-15-2016 04:47 AM
VICKY B is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VICKY B Click here to Send VICKY B a Private Message Visit VICKY B's homepage! Find more posts by VICKY B Add VICKY B to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jackson Boys
UKC Forum Member

We sure aint gonna be out running hounds with slugs flying especially on public ground.

Bills cell # (614)965-2643

Last edited by Jackson Boys on 11-15-2016 at 04:16 PM

Old Post 11-15-2016 04:08 PM
Jackson Boys is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jackson Boys Click here to Send Jackson Boys a Private Message Click Here to Email Jackson Boys Find more posts by Jackson Boys Add Jackson Boys to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brian Collins
UKC Forum Member

I didn't think you were allowed to run dogs during shotgun season in Ohio? If you have ever been to Ohio, especially central Ohio, for shotgun season you would see why this isn't a good idea. Hope everyone is stays safe and I hope no one loses any dogs.

Because its in our nature"

Old Post 11-15-2016 04:30 PM
Brian Collins is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brian Collins Click here to Send Brian Collins a Private Message Find more posts by Brian Collins Add Brian Collins to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sundown Beagles
UKC Forum Member

Brian, that is true for gun week. The additional 2 days are open for other game persuit such as rabbit. The additional 2 days are looked at the same as muzzleloader. Trust me I have been very educated on the process in the last 24 hrs. But points are points.

Old Post 11-15-2016 05:54 PM
broken gun
UKC Forum Member

Is this one of those surprise gun seasons that they throw in after the initial gun season because of low numbers or has this been on the books since the seasons were announced for the year?

Old Post 11-15-2016 07:44 PM
broken gun is offline Click Here to See the Profile for broken gun Click here to Send broken gun a Private Message Click Here to Email broken gun Find more posts by broken gun Add broken gun to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
codydog7
New UKC Forum Member

ant it the clubs that is spose to be putting the dogs and hunters in a safe place to hunt where no one has to be worried bout stuff like gitting your self or your dog shot

Old Post 11-15-2016 08:38 PM
codydog7 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for codydog7 Click here to Send codydog7 a Private Message Click Here to Email codydog7 Find more posts by codydog7 Add codydog7 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Albert Fulton
UKC Forum Member

Just curious,what is the NHBA's reasoning for putting the handlers and hounds in harms way? I do not Evan pleasure run on my own property during gun season.

Old Post 11-15-2016 09:15 PM
Albert Fulton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Albert Fulton Click here to Send Albert Fulton a Private Message Click Here to Email Albert Fulton Find more posts by Albert Fulton Add Albert Fulton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Halfway2
UKC Forum Member

Ok I've been staying out of this but now I'm going to speak up!! I am the president of NHBA as most of you know. First of all the board of NHBA voted last night and the club could move their hunt but they would lose the Sectional they had scheduled. The board voted and that decision is final. It was very short notice to change a Sectional. (Less than 30 days) I personally feel like someone should've have caught this before now. That's my opinion. I will not get on here and speak for other board members of why they voted the way they did but I will say if you want to make NHBA out to be the bad guys in all this then go ahead!!! These positions are elected positions and if you don't like what we are doing then run for an office or board position. Then you can vote in matters like this. NHBA is a great organization and we have done a lot over the years to help this sport. Everyone knows the risks they are taking by turning a dog loose for this event. If you choose to do so then good luck to all of you. I was on the phone over 4 hours discussing this last night trying to get it resolved. This is all I will say about any of this. PERIOD!!!

Old Post 11-15-2016 09:29 PM
Halfway2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Halfway2 Click here to Send Halfway2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Halfway2 Find more posts by Halfway2 Add Halfway2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jackson Boys
UKC Forum Member

Hey Broken Gun these seasons aren't a surprise. They are the same every year. Starts with the kids youth season which is the weekend prior to Thanksgiving. Then regular gun season is always the first Monday after Thanksgiving. The extra weekend is usually a couple weeks after the close of the main gun season. It has been this way for many years. We see what Joe is saying. There is really no excuse for scheduling such a big hunt on that weekend. Obviously it must have just slipped by someone.

Bills cell # (614)965-2643

Last edited by Jackson Boys on 11-16-2016 at 12:24 AM

Old Post 11-16-2016 12:16 AM
Jackson Boys is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jackson Boys Click here to Send Jackson Boys a Private Message Click Here to Email Jackson Boys Find more posts by Jackson Boys Add Jackson Boys to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
broken gun
UKC Forum Member

Ok just curious if the season caught the club by surprise. In some states they will announce an additional season after the gun season has ended in an attempt to kill more deer. If the club should have known about this conflict for at least the last couple of months they should have addressed it earlier.

Old Post 11-16-2016 12:38 AM
broken gun is offline Click Here to See the Profile for broken gun Click here to Send broken gun a Private Message Click Here to Email broken gun Find more posts by broken gun Add broken gun to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sundown Beagles
UKC Forum Member

Whoa whoa whoa. LETS NOT GET CARRIED AWAY HERE. CCBC wanted to move this hunt for safety reasons and safety reasons only. Please let's not get out of hand. Yes CCBC was and is disappointed in NHBA's decision. BUT a decision was made and we will live with it. I personally am not upset with NHBA officers or board members. NHBA does some very amazing things for our sport and in no way deserve any negativity over their decision.
I posted the change after confirming with Joe and UKC. I felt the need to explain why we were moving it back to the original date. We have several members running the NHBA point series and want this hunt. So yes we had to make a decision also.
As for scheduling the hunts? CCBC hunts were scheduled and confirmed in Dec for the upcoming year. Last years week long deer gun season ended Dec 5 and the 2 day extension was Dec 26 & 27. So I thought we were safe. WRONG. Even if we would have caught it 3 or 6 months ago the only date in Dec would have been the 10 & 11 because of gun season on the 3 & 4. and the 17 & 18 and Christmas the 24 & 25.
SO long story short we want to make everyone aware of the conditions that the hunt will be conducted under. Gun season is a big deal here as they only get 9 days. Rest assured CCBC will do the best we can to insure a good hunt and PLEASE DO NOT reflect on NHBA in a negative light. Joe is right these are all volunteers. i for one appreciate the job they do.

Old Post 11-16-2016 01:23 AM
Mark Overcash
UKC Forum Member

For one all the board members wasn't involved in a vote for ccbc to begin with before a decision was made to move it plus nhba members wasn't involved on a vote before a decision was made to move it either .
There are plenty of people already made plans for this hunt at this time and the others as well
It is the negligence of ccbc for this not nhba at all better homework should have been done on the clubs behalf as you guys know better than anyone how it is up there during this time .
Whenever other clubs gave wanted to move a hunt it's been on a 3 month time not just the next month . If we are going to do by one club this way then by all means let's do all this way .
We all hunt during gun season from time to time and all know the risk with it
You say (Dave) that you have several club members running the series . Why on earth would you move a hunt on top of two different clubs holding points hunt when it would benefit them by going to as many as they can . I'm sure that if you had a dog in it you wouldn't want it changed either . That's some of my say on the matter .
Hope I'm off work then If so I'll see ya then yours truly

Old Post 11-16-2016 02:49 AM
Mark Overcash is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark Overcash Click here to Send Mark Overcash a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark Overcash Find more posts by Mark Overcash Add Mark Overcash to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sundown Beagles
UKC Forum Member

Mark, I agree brother. Except if I had a dog in the running. I have threaten to scratch my hound in a World semi final because we were going to hunt to close to a road. Thankfully others in the cast agreed and we moved. Again we thought we were doing what was best for hound and hunter. No fault of NHBA. I am unaware there is a 3 month rule. Is it in bylaws because i have been to NHBA Days for the membership meetings and I don't remember anything like that coming up? If that's what has been decided by the board it's ok just wasn't aware or we would not have asked. Please understand this all started with a concern for safety. If you guys are good with it we're good with it. Let em run. Would hate for someone to make a long trip and not know it's deer gun season.

Old Post 11-16-2016 03:34 AM
Mark Overcash
UKC Forum Member

Dave
I think we all are good
Sometimes we all have to agree to disagree that's all
We will support each other as always and have a great time doing so .
In the end we all are hunters and all have to deal with each others hunting whether it be the deer hunters dealing with us or vise versa.
Hope to see all you guys soon .
It will work out

Old Post 11-16-2016 04:00 AM
Mark Overcash is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark Overcash Click here to Send Mark Overcash a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark Overcash Find more posts by Mark Overcash Add Mark Overcash to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark Overcash
UKC Forum Member

About the three month deal
This was when tenn doe valley had the state of emergency and called in to change the dates of the hunt to a later date . It was said we couldn't move it out one week or one month it had to be 3 Months time to give everyone time to get the notice of the hunt this was Ukc decision only not Nhba at all
Hope this clears that up as well

Old Post 11-16-2016 04:16 AM
Sundown Beagles
UKC Forum Member

It does, Thanks. Your right were all good!!! Hey don't forget your hunter orange you being a big target and not able to run fast. LOL!!!

Last edited by Sundown Beagles on 11-16-2016 at 12:23 PM

Old Post 11-16-2016 12:19 PM
Sundown Beagles
UKC Forum Member

Mark let me know if you can make it, I think I owe you a steak or wings. LOL

Old Post 11-16-2016 12:25 PM
Mark Overcash
UKC Forum Member

I will

Old Post 11-16-2016 12:28 PM
TOUCHSTONEBEAGL
UKC Forum Member

Between a rock and a hard place on this. It seems the hunt must go on.

Best to contact landowners to get special permission to run during dear season. Better than loosing permission for a great running spot. Never assume that your permission to run dogs will include any part of dear season.

Need to coordinate with local dear hunters to prevent problems between sportsmen.

If you are planning to run on public land I would recommend posting a sign before the beginning of the first week of gun season and keep them up until after event. If deer hunters know in advance they can plan accordingly.

Having a cast in an area can help move the dear and can even be an advantage to dear hunters. An effort should be made to keep Everyone happy as much as possible.

Club should have some extra orange available in case someone shows up who didn't get "the memo".

Best of luck for a good hunt.

Old Post 11-18-2016 03:30 PM
TOUCHSTONEBEAGL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TOUCHSTONEBEAGL Click here to Send TOUCHSTONEBEAGL a Private Message Click Here to Email TOUCHSTONEBEAGL Find more posts by TOUCHSTONEBEAGL Add TOUCHSTONEBEAGL to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
beagler/mike
UKC Forum Member

I recall the Nova club got into a similar situation some years ago. If my recollection is correct they scheduled a hunt during the extended gun season as well,and in error ..Most hunters had the good sense not to come, except one..the hunt wasn't held, and the club was put on probation. A lot of hard feeling came from that , and they never held another hunt. I know that's been like 7 to 9years ago....To bad, as that was a nice club, with good people.

Last edited by beagler/mike on 12-02-2016 at 04:22 PM

Old Post 12-02-2016 03:28 PM
beagler/mike is offline Click Here to See the Profile for beagler/mike Click here to Send beagler/mike a Private Message Find more posts by beagler/mike Add beagler/mike to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote