UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Black & Tans > Uglystick pup
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
RowdyRidgeB&T15
UKC Forum Member

Uglystick pup

Got an ugly pup bout 15 months old been bout two weeks sence we have hunted tonight would not go more than 50 yards in the woods stayed around truck ran around the feild does anyone have a clue what I have done or what I'm not doing

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-25-2016 03:39 AM
RowdyRidgeB&T15 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RowdyRidgeB&T15 Click here to Send RowdyRidgeB&T15 a Private Message Click Here to Email RowdyRidgeB&T15 Find more posts by RowdyRidgeB&T15 Add RowdyRidgeB&T15 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AWP
UKC Forum Member

I mean this respectfully. It's probably what you're not doing- being consistent. I'm not a pro by any stretch but there's a few basics here. Get a well bred hound (which is sounds like you have), keep him healthy (good feed, wormed, shots, clean living environment,etc), and then give him consistent opportunity to make a good hound. That's how they progress. If you or he has regressed any, refresh the memory and go back a step or two before trying to progress. Good luck!

Old Post 11-28-2016 01:04 AM
AWP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AWP Click here to Send AWP a Private Message Find more posts by AWP Add AWP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RowdyRidgeB&T15
UKC Forum Member

Thank you I am new at raising a pup and getting him going hard find places the hunt around home most land owners are to proud of there land in f you know what I mean got only hand full of places to hunt and was hunting them hard he was doing really well very proud of him I've heard a little fresh up never hurts just not sure what to do

Old Post 11-28-2016 03:05 AM
RowdyRidgeB&T15 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RowdyRidgeB&T15 Click here to Send RowdyRidgeB&T15 a Private Message Click Here to Email RowdyRidgeB&T15 Find more posts by RowdyRidgeB&T15 Add RowdyRidgeB&T15 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Riverbottom Ron
UKC Forum Member

YOUR UGLYSTICK DOG

I OWNED A FEW OF THEM UGLYSTICK DOGS THERE NICE... I HAVE BEEN HUNTIN FOR 50 YEARS NOW ALL I CAN SAY IS HUNT , AND HUNT AND HUNT YOUR HOUND. JUST TAKE IT TO THE WOODS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE . THE MORE YOU HUNT IT ,THE BETTER IT WILL BE.THATS WHAT IT TAKES TO MAKE A GOOD COONDOG,, NOT HUNTING MY DOGS THE WAY THAT I USE TO IS WHY I DONT HAVE THE CALIBUR OF HOUND THAT I USE TO. BUT I CAN STILL GET A COON TREED WITH MY DOGS ... AGE AND HEALTH HAS CAUGHT UP WITH ME IS WHY I CANT HUNT AS MUCH AS I USE TO,,, SO HUNT THAT DOG AND HUNT IT HARD , DOGS CAN BE FRUSTRATING AT TIMES DURING THERE TRAINING AND REALLY MAKE YA MAD ,,BUT IN THE LONG RUN A DOG THATS HUNTED AND TRAINED BY THERE SELVES MAKE BETTER HOUNDS.. I HOPE THIS HELPS YA A LITTLE BIT ,,, HAVE A BLESSED ONE ,,,FROM THE RIVERBOTTOM,,,RON

ALWAYS REMEMBER GOD GAVE US FRIENDS AND COONHOUNDS, " I AM A GREATLY BLESSED",HIGHLY FAVORED" " IMPERFECT BUT FORGIVEN CHILD OF GOD "KEEP YOUR {FAITH IN GOD } FAITH SEES THE INVISIBLE,BELIEVES THE INCREDIBLE,AND RECIEVES THE IMPOSSIBLE. WERE BLESSED !!

Old Post 11-28-2016 02:59 PM
Riverbottom Ron is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Riverbottom Ron Click here to Send Riverbottom Ron a Private Message Find more posts by Riverbottom Ron Add Riverbottom Ron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RowdyRidgeB&T15
UKC Forum Member

Yes sir Ron that does help thank you sir

Old Post 11-28-2016 04:32 PM
AWP
UKC Forum Member

If you're not having any luck here's a few things to try:

1. Trap you a coon. Several different ways to fire him up. DON'T over do it especially the sight chase and tree. Cut it loose then make him scent find it. Most climb quickly so you may have to wait 20-30 minutes to get a longer trail. If you knock it out to him, re-use it. The hide and/or tail can be used at a later time if you don't let it rot.

2. Get out at least one feeder. It'll help maximize the few spots you do have. A tire feeder is awesome. The kind with a tire on a rim. Cut about four 2" diameter holes. Trace around a water bottle with chalk. A pocket knife works fine to cut the holes. The holes need to be small enough so deer can't get noses in- you don't want a deer feeder. Put a game cam on it if you can. It let's you know about how many coon are coming and when.

Keep working him and try not to get discouraged. You'll usually find out the harder you work at it= the better it goes. The better it goes= the more you'll like it.

Old Post 11-30-2016 01:33 AM
AWP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AWP Click here to Send AWP a Private Message Find more posts by AWP Add AWP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RowdyRidgeB&T15
UKC Forum Member

Yes sir it does I put out traps Sunday and working on traps too have you ever put cool aid in your corn I've heard people doing that I love taking him to woods and I do it every chance I get to

Old Post 11-30-2016 01:55 AM
AWP
UKC Forum Member

Yep, used kool-aid. It works pretty good. I only use it until they find it. Get the short stubby 19oz container because it's cheaper than the single packs. I wouldn't use a soured mix when it could freeze.

Old Post 11-30-2016 11:41 PM
RowdyRidgeB&T15
UKC Forum Member

Yea I've heard using grape works well probably start off with that just to get them in I've had traps out sence Sunday and usually over night I can catch one but still nothing yet

Old Post 12-01-2016 12:04 AM
AWP
UKC Forum Member

Marshmallows: 3-4 of the large ones torn in smaller pieces or a big handful of the little ones. Make a short 4-6' trail to a "pot of gold at the end of the rainbow". If using a live trap, set the trap ON the marshmallows. They have to work hard at getting them and helps spring the trap. May get an accidental grinner but I've never gotten a house cat.

Old Post 12-01-2016 02:23 AM