UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hunting with the leaves on?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
blacksc1
UKC Forum Member

Hunting with the leaves on?

What’s the percentage you think of coons found in big leafy trees? Shining here in this part of the world is difficult at best with thick 20 foot tall under brush then huge thick oak trees. Looked for 30 minutes the other night to find the coon as I was walking out. I can’t blow a squaller and make them look for sheit.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-04-2018 01:07 AM
blacksc1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blacksc1 Click here to Send blacksc1 a Private Message Click Here to Email blacksc1 Find more posts by blacksc1 Add blacksc1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Our leaves are as thick as any. It always gets me how fast we find them WHEN THEY ARE THERE.
One guy with good eyes, 75%. Four dogs on a tree, 90%. I know many will think that is way too high but many years of observation, I believe it is accurate. Maybe subtract 10% on bright full moon nights.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 11-04-2018 01:38 AM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

I don't look very long for a coon when pleasure hunting a minute or two on big leafy trees. I would say 75 % will be found if the coon is there in two minutes. I just feel squalling and messing around a tree encourages more slicks if the coon isn't there. Why look and look if your not getting the coon out. Send them on or load up and go tree another.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Old Post 11-04-2018 04:18 AM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

I go to Black and Tan Days every year and hunted there. In the Midwest most of the time you will find the coon within a few minutes. Here in eastern NC you often will look five minutes just to find a spot where you can see more than the first ten feet of the trunk of the tree. Tonight I spent close to 15 minutes finding the coon AFTER it looked. You could only see the tree through a few holes in the understory.

Old Post 11-04-2018 05:04 AM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

It is my opinion that here in SE Ohio, Hilly and hardwoods with many clear cuts. In the summer time I believe I only see about 1-3 coons that are treed on big trees in the summer time. I say that because, I find way more coons with the leaves off than I do with the leaves on. Now that is me hunting the same spots, with the same hounds, year in and year out, winter summer spring and fall, for over 45-50 years. some dogs I have owned and hunted in these same spots for 10 years or more.

I have read these comments many times that they are much easier to find when they are there, which is of course "true". But you won't convince me my dogs are suddenly 60% more accurate in november than they are in may or june. I cannot by that argument either.

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 11-04-2018 05:15 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dave Mayles

Spot on! There is a big difference where one hunts when the leaves are on, as to how many one will see. Fence rows etc offer a much better chance of finding coons than dies hunting in thick under growth, where it's hard to see into the tree due to under growth. My hunting partner is one if the best in finding coons and it takes patience and time to find coons with the leaves on in these mountains. Dave

Old Post 11-04-2018 06:22 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rocketman55
It is my opinion that here in SE Ohio, Hilly and hardwoods with many clear cuts. In the summer time I believe I only see about 1-3 coons that are treed on big trees in the summer time. I say that because, I find way more coons with the leaves off than I do with the leaves on. Now that is me hunting the same spots, with the same hounds, year in and year out, winter summer spring and fall, for over 45-50 years. some dogs I have owned and hunted in these same spots for 10 years or more.

I have read these comments many times that they are much easier to find when they are there, which is of course "true". But you won't convince me my dogs are suddenly 60% more accurate in november than they are in may or june. I cannot by that argument either.

dave all I can say is TRUE.

Old Post 11-04-2018 06:40 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bill(Chew)
I go to Black and Tan Days every year and hunted there. In the Midwest most of the time you will find the coon within a few minutes. Here in eastern NC you often will look five minutes just to find a spot where you can see more than the first ten feet of the trunk of the tree. Tonight I spent close to 15 minutes finding the coon AFTER it looked. You could only see the tree through a few holes in the understory.

Absolutely. It always amazes me when people talk about finding less coons in the winter than in the summer. It is the opposite for me. It may take me 20 minutes just to find a place I can actually see into the tree they are treed on due to the underbrush.

Old Post 11-04-2018 11:01 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

I guess I should qualify my comments above by explaining that I never shine a tree more 8 or 10 minutes. I just don't have the patients for more.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 11-05-2018 12:02 AM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blacksc1
UKC Forum Member

When hunting these young dogs I like to know for certain before I correct, if it’s getting late and they got em I’ll head on home if not I’ll correct and see if they can’t figure out the right tree. I don’t have much trouble finding them in winter but the heck with this 10-30 minute looking, i for one don’t have the patience. BUT my mindset the dog did it’s job mine is to find him. Needless to say I’m ready for the leaves to come off.

Old Post 11-05-2018 03:07 AM
blacksc1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blacksc1 Click here to Send blacksc1 a Private Message Click Here to Email blacksc1 Find more posts by blacksc1 Add blacksc1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I think just like we work with our hounds and make them more sure of themselves and accurate. That coon hunters also strengthen themselves in the way of the woods and finding game. It is a learning process and in different parts of the country the methods may be somewhat different. Any coon out on a single limb moving around and looking at you can be seen by just about anyone. Unfortunately those don't seem to be the coon you tree in a competition hunt or when working that young dog.

I am not saying this is the norm but I will use as an example. I always look at the top of the trees. My first trip to IL. several years ago and I was amazed to see so many coon in the lower part of a tree. Generally in the first fork.
I see people all the time on face book squalling coon from a den but my experiences with dens are thankfully a lot less and I generally don't have much luck getting one to move around in a den and have it look out.

There are three areas to consider. The light combination you are comfortable using. The squaller and how your dogs is treeing and what kind of track took him to the tree.
I will say that if you hone your skills in those three areas then you will have a comfort level of knowing what is up there even if you don't see anything. It's a learning process and like many things in life as you get older and learn thee things. Your eyes seem to get worse and its still a struggle. Just a different one.

Some people are just good at finding coon. One night me and a buddy had went to a tree about 100 yards off the road. About the time we got there we heard another buddy pull up on the road that was going to meet us. We were searching the tree and had been for maybe 5 minutes when he arrived at the tree. We had not found the coon yet. Our buddy that just got there looked up the tree and said you seem him right. We said NO and he then proceeded to show us the coon he found in 10 seconds that we had been searching five minutes for.

Hone your skills, know your dog and in most cases you will walk away in the right mind set, that the coon was there or not.

Old Post 11-05-2018 12:51 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Spurr
UKC Forum Member

I'm a firm believer that is a coon is there 90 percent of time u find it. its all in the dog lol

Stylish Shaker 2018 fall baby stakes 2nd place

Stylish Lacy

Old Post 11-05-2018 02:39 PM
Jason Spurr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Spurr Click here to Send Jason Spurr a Private Message Click Here to Email Jason Spurr Find more posts by Jason Spurr Add Jason Spurr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

Bruce, it's often the angle you are looking. In thick stuff sometimes seeing the coon or not may be one step over from where you were.

Seriously, here you often can only see portions of the tree. It gets better after the leaves fall but you still have wads of vines in some trees.

Old Post 11-05-2018 04:02 PM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris.S
UKC Forum Member

I've got to the point where I can't even trust my eyes with the leaves off. I finally bought a FLIR its not foolproof but it helps a bunch. Now with the cooler temps and leaves falling I'm much more likely to correct mine and put the finishing touches on him.

Old Post 11-05-2018 08:51 PM
Chris.S is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chris.S Click here to Send Chris.S a Private Message Click Here to Email Chris.S Find more posts by Chris.S Add Chris.S to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote