UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Proposal #1 - Babbling
Option A, B, C, or leave as is, per current rule?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Option A 65 27.43%
Option B 78 32.91%
Option C 19 8.02%
Leave as is, per current rule. 75 31.65%
Total: 237 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Lone Pine JB
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Fisher13
How do you train
babbling?

give a guy a keyboard and step back...

Lone Pine North

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-02-2019 02:41 PM
Lone Pine JB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lone Pine JB Click here to Send Lone Pine JB a Private Message Click Here to Email Lone Pine JB Visit Lone Pine JB's homepage! Find more posts by Lone Pine JB Add Lone Pine JB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

Just eliminate the strike points all together , or circle/delete depending on if there is a coon in the tree or not. this will solve the silent/babbling debate.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 06-02-2019 04:02 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

quote:
How do you train
babbling?

TOO many caged coons etc. and there are other ways I am sure.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 06-02-2019 04:06 PM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
How do you train
babbling?

Easy, hold the dog back on turn loose til it starts barking and then fail to correct it as it gets worse.

You will have a babbler in no time. Back when I started and babbling was still considered an undesirable trait you made sure not to have those off to the races turn loose with a pup that couldn't keep up or you would have to break babbling later.

Now people do it and then claim to have a great strike dog.

Yeah they strike a coon off the leash every single drop even down the yellow line of the black top LOL.

Yes some of it is genetic and some is learned but some are made just as I described above. Used to they were made on accident. Now they are made to have an advantage. They like to "carry that hunnered with me".

Old Post 06-02-2019 04:20 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

A Solution in Search of a Problem?

I've seen way more silent and semi-silent dogs than I've babblers. If we want open trailers, we can't penalize dogs to the extent that open trailers can't win in competition. If you have a silent/semi-silent dog, you SHOULD be at a disadvantage on strike points, just as if you have a last tree dog (split or not) you should be at a disadvantage on tree points. I'm saying this as someone that typically has hunted dogs that I call semi-silent (a half dozen or less barks on track).

Again, strike points are not the problem. Giving 3rd and 4th tree dogs the same points as 1st tree dogs is, to me, a much bigger problem.

If you want open trailers, there has to be some benefit for open trailers. If you want dogs that can tree ahead of (before) the other dogs, there has to be some benefit to that.

Old Post 06-03-2019 04:59 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rip
Easy, hold the dog back on turn loose til it starts barking and then fail to correct it as it gets worse.

You will have a babbler in no time. Back when I started and babbling was still considered an undesirable trait you made sure not to have those off to the races turn loose with a pup that couldn't keep up or you would have to break babbling later.

Yeah they strike a coon off the leash every single drop even down the yellow line of the black top LOL.

Yes some of it is genetic and some is learned but some are made just as I described above. Used to they were made on accident. Now they are made to have an advantage. They like to "carry that hunnered with me".

hm... Ill have to give that a try :P

Old Post 06-03-2019 10:12 PM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rip

hm... Ill have to give that a try :P

Old Post 06-03-2019 10:13 PM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lblhunter
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by honalieh
So what happens when you get a 3 dog cast (2 silent, 1 open)? Do they vote 2-1 (majority) to minus the open dog? We've now given an advantage to the silent or semi-silent dog.

Now, in a 2 dog cast (the vote could be tied), so again no advantage to having an open trailer. We've now given the silent/semi-silent dog equal strike points to the one that actually opens when hitting a track.

Are we trying to eliminate an honest first strike dog? Eliminate open trailers in general? And, no, I've never hunted a babbler or even a consistent first strike dog.

Years back we largely solved the babbling problem by jumping first tree to 125. But, this was before every dog was treeing separate and by themselves.

To me, the bigger problem is that there is no advantage to having a 1st tree dog. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th tree dogs get the same points (if they tree separately). So that makes it so strike points can make the difference because they are all getting 1st tree points (whether they tree 1st or not).

I say call them struck as they strike (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th). Call them treed as they tree (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th). What about splits? I bump them up 25 points each on both strike and tree (additional 50 points possible---except there should always be a 25 point separation between 1st and 2nd, and we don't up points beyond 1st position---don't give 2nd strike as many strike points as 1st strike). In this way, we reward splitting, but not to the extent we currently have where 3rd and 4th tree dogs get just as many tree points as legitimate 1st tree dogs.

Play with this scenario, and you'll find it equalizes the field. Now, if a dog is a first strike dog, and legitimate 1st tree dog (1st to tree), you don't beat them. You're not supposed to. But, if a dog is a 1st strike dog (possible babbler), and 3rd or 4th tree dog (split), we can beat them, because in this scenario, 3rd and 4th tree dogs don't get 1st tree dog points.

So, deep and alone babbler gets 100 strike, 25 tree = 125 + 25 split tree points = 150. My 3rd strike, 1st tree dog gets 50 strike, 125 tree = 175 + 25 split strike points = 200. The babbler is not the problem, it's 2nd, 3rd, and 4th trees (when split) counting just as much as 1st trees that is the problem.

The first dog to tree does have an advantage already. 125 first 75 second. 50 point spread is that not an advantage. A dog that makes a tree first and is split should still get the 125 be it minus or plus. The me 2 dog is the hardest dog to beat. Your real worry in a coon hunt is drawing out with a coon dog. Period!

Old Post 06-04-2019 04:56 AM
lblhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lblhunter Click here to Send lblhunter a Private Message Find more posts by lblhunter Add lblhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Daniel Fitzko
UKC Forum Member

Just do away with the babbling rule because it always causes a rukus in the woods. At times you light luck up and turn loose on a hot coon and all dogs will be opening up on the chain, you can't say they are babbling. I just believe this one should just go away. Can't prove one babbling and the handler want be honest so there you go having grown men arguing over something they can't control.

Home of:
PR Fitzko's Hardwood Mighty Mouse

Old Post 06-05-2019 04:31 PM
Daniel Fitzko is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Daniel Fitzko Click here to Send Daniel Fitzko a Private Message Find more posts by Daniel Fitzko Add Daniel Fitzko to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Daniel Fitzko
UKC Forum Member

Just do away with the babbling rule because it always causes a rukus in the woods. At times you might luck up and turn loose on a hot coon and all dogs will be opening up on the chain, you can't say they are babbling. I just believe this one should just go away. Can't prove one babbling and the handler want be honest so there you go having grown men arguing over something they can't control. I say if dog opens within the minute, give the dog or dogs 3 mins to open instead of 8 . If they don't open then minus accordingly. If dog or dogs open after the min then use the 8 min rule as it states.

Home of:

Last edited by Daniel Fitzko on 06-05-2019 at 04:38 PM

Old Post 06-05-2019 04:32 PM
Daniel Fitzko is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Daniel Fitzko Click here to Send Daniel Fitzko a Private Message Find more posts by Daniel Fitzko Add Daniel Fitzko to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sox12
UKC Forum Member

there was the three minute rule years ago on first turn loose then it got changed to present do the hunters even know what they want for sure it seems they have it one way for awhile then want to change it back.let go back to the three hour hunt and 100 first strike and100 first tree and 300 minus and your out the back door.

CH Nt. Ch.PR Wandering Red & RR Bucksaw (GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge Rip X Grand Nite Raged Ridge Toadie )
GRNTCH.GRCh.PR Steffes' Whizz Bang[GRNTCH Big Walnut BooneXGRNTCH Raged Ridge Toadie]
GRCH.Wandering Red Pepper
GRCH.Wandering Red Honeys Sweety Pie

RIP
GR.NT.CH.GR.CH.PR Steffes wandering Red Tinkerbell {GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge RipsawXGRNTCH Ragged Ridge Toadie]

Old Post 06-05-2019 09:26 PM
sox12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sox12 Click here to Send sox12 a Private Message Click Here to Email sox12 Find more posts by sox12 Add sox12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by sox12
there was the three minute rule years ago on first turn loose then it got changed to present do the hunters even know what they want for sure it seems they have it one way for awhile then want to change it back.let go back to the three hour hunt and 100 first strike and100 first tree and 300 minus and your out the back door.

I am ok with that but that will not work with deep and wide , not enough good areas everywhere to hunt a cast of dogs for 3 hours.

Old Post 06-06-2019 01:22 AM
Daniel Fitzko
UKC Forum Member

Chuck

So it comes down to limited places to hunt is the reason for all the changes. Sounds like you need a different type of dog or a good shocking system.

Home of:

Last edited by Daniel Fitzko on 06-06-2019 at 11:55 AM

Old Post 06-06-2019 11:53 AM
BooneMcCrary
UKC Forum Member

The whole idea of competition hunting should be viewed at from the lens of a hide hunter.

The dog that trees the most coons should win, unless it is minused for slick treeing, running trash, etc.

All split trees should be equal at 125 points. One coon isn't more valuable than the next is it? Then they should be equal.

Do away with strike points or make all strike points the same. You'll have your usual whiners that probably hunt booticks that will argue that finding a coon quicker deserves merit. Well, a true hide hunter would rather see more hides hanging on stretching boards.

Here is my idea, strike and tree points as follows:

Strike:
1st=100
2nd=100
3rd=100
4th=100

Tree:
1st:125
2nd:75
3rd:50
4th:25

One could also argue that tree positions 2-4 should all be 25 each. I'm good with that as well.

GrNiteCh CLEAR TIMBER CLASSY SASSY

Old Post 06-06-2019 01:39 PM
BooneMcCrary is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BooneMcCrary Click here to Send BooneMcCrary a Private Message Click Here to Email BooneMcCrary Find more posts by BooneMcCrary Add BooneMcCrary to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by BooneMcCrary
The whole idea of competition hunting should be viewed at from the lens of a hide hunter.

The dog that trees the most coons should win, unless it is minused for slick treeing, running trash, etc.

All split trees should be equal at 125 points. One coon isn't more valuable than the next is it? Then they should be equal.

Do away with strike points or make all strike points the same. You'll have your usual whiners that probably hunt booticks that will argue that finding a coon quicker deserves merit. Well, a true hide hunter would rather see more hides hanging on stretching boards.

Here is my idea, strike and tree points as follows:

Strike:
1st=100
2nd=100
3rd=100
4th=100

Tree:
1st:125
2nd:75
3rd:50
4th:25

One could also argue that tree positions 2-4 should all be 25 each. I'm good with that as well.

Do this and eliminate all "style" rules and it Sure would make the hunts a lot simpler and enjoyable, best coon dog would win more often. But the breed standard crowd and the style crowd would cry like babies

Old Post 06-06-2019 01:49 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Hide hunters don't care which dog is the fastest. Comp hunters want to reward the fastest dog. Hide hunters only care about how many hides they have at the end of the night. Comp hunters want a dog that is quick and looks good doing it. Almost any dog can tree a coon but the top comp dogs should tree coons quick, fast and look/sound good doing it. Comp hunters compete against other dogs. Hide hunters only compete with themselves.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 06-06-2019 at 02:00 PM

Old Post 06-06-2019 01:57 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Hide hunters don't care which dog is the fastest. Comp hunters want to reward the fastest dog. Hide hunters only care about how many hides they have at the end of the night. Comp hunters want a dog that is quick and looks good doing it. Almost any dog can tree a coon but the top comp dogs should tree coons quick, fast and look/sound good doing it.

I've been a hide hunter since the mid 70s and never wanted a slow dog, skinned coon for a fur buyer back then and I can tell the type off dogs that put hides on wire aren't slow

Old Post 06-06-2019 02:05 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Richard, a true hide man and a pleasure hunter are not the same

Old Post 06-06-2019 02:14 PM
yadkintar
Banned

We won big hunts with high scores back in the day with our hide dogs they hustled for 3 hrs non stop. And we wasent walking a mile to trees when they struck at our feet either. But the most common dog in ukc right now is that 100 strike 75 tree dog right now I understand how that game and most that don’t like the new rules do to.

Tar

Old Post 06-06-2019 02:20 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
We won big hunts with high scores back in the day with our hide dogs they hustled for 3 hrs non stop. And we wasent walking a mile to trees when they struck at our feet either. But the most common dog in ukc right now is that 100 strike 75 tree dog right now I understand how that game and most that don’t like the new rules do to.

Tar

If all kcs went to a two dog finals and stuck a judge with each dog, when dogs spilt up the cast split up, I think the mile deep stuff would die off

Old Post 06-06-2019 02:27 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Pleasure hunters have fun. Coonhunting is a job for hide hunters. Tarbaby, everybody knows now that you just post to stir up trouble. You don't really even believe what you post. You even told us that you just "play possum" or make stuff up. And now you call or text other people and try to get them to do the same thing to "stir the board up".

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 06-06-2019 at 03:15 PM

Old Post 06-06-2019 03:12 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Pleasure hunters have fun. Coonhunting is a job for hide hunters. Tarbaby, everybody knows now that you just post to stir up trouble. You don't really even believe what you post. You even told us that you just "play possum" or make stuff up. And now you call or text other people and try to get them to do the same thing to "stir the board up".

That’s rite.

Old Post 06-06-2019 03:44 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BooneMcCrary
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Hide hunters don't care which dog is the fastest. Comp hunters want to reward the fastest dog. Hide hunters only care about how many hides they have at the end of the night. Comp hunters want a dog that is quick and looks good doing it. Almost any dog can tree a coon but the top comp dogs should tree coons quick, fast and look/sound good doing it. Comp hunters compete against other dogs. Hide hunters only compete with themselves.

In competition, we should be rewarding the dog that trees the most coons. You pretty much validated my post. Thanks.

GrNiteCh CLEAR TIMBER CLASSY SASSY

Old Post 06-07-2019 11:08 AM
BooneMcCrary is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BooneMcCrary Click here to Send BooneMcCrary a Private Message Click Here to Email BooneMcCrary Find more posts by BooneMcCrary Add BooneMcCrary to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:

I don’t need backup from nobody I am a grown man. But if I did call you and give you advise you might should listen because my win average is a whole lot better than yours !! I hunt a winner I just don’t go to red dog hunts to see other red dogs and talk about red dogs.

Maybe there is a reason nobody calls you lol.

Tarbaby

Old Post 06-07-2019 11:41 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Everybody needs a little backup every now and then but I can't argue with anything else since you are a much better hunter, trainer, handler than I am.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 06-07-2019 at 12:47 PM

Old Post 06-07-2019 12:27 PM