UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > When you read "Takes His Tracks as they Come.
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

When you read "Takes His Tracks as they Come.

I have read that for years in Stud Dog ads. What does that mean to you.
Have many of you seen a dog that has several different styles of getting the coon up the tree.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-13-2019 03:34 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blue blue
UKC Forum Member

Bruce

I would think that means he trails whatever kind of track he comes across first. Cold or hot or in between. Doesn’t look for just one particular track.

Old Post 02-13-2019 03:48 PM
blue blue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blue blue Click here to Send blue blue a Private Message Click Here to Email blue blue Find more posts by blue blue Add blue blue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

To me there are very few that accurately fit that description. There was a bluetick in this country back in the 90s that was the only one I ever saw that I would really describe that way. If you hunted him out of a boat, he'd run off and leave other dogs on those hot tracks off the bank, and regularly catch those coons on the ground. On frosty winter nights he'd drift and peck and cover long stretches working feed tracks out along hardwood ridges, and eventually produce that coon balled up somewhere. Sometimes he'd be skipping through the country and fall treed on a legitimate layup that other decent dogs couldn't even smell. I'm not sure he was even full-bloooded. He was registered, but was all blue and had birddog course hair, shortish ears and a short snout. Who knows really, but he was exceptional in alot of departments and really impacted my thoughts on how dogs should operate from then to now...

Last edited by Cory Highfill on 02-13-2019 at 04:00 PM

Old Post 02-13-2019 03:58 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

To me it means they don't run wide open through the country passing up cold tracks while looking for a hot one.

Old Post 02-13-2019 04:12 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Mckinney
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
To me it means they don't run wide open through the country passing up cold tracks while looking for a hot one.
x2

Old Post 02-13-2019 05:08 PM
Mike Mckinney is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Mckinney Click here to Send Mike Mckinney a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Mckinney Find more posts by Mike Mckinney Add Mike Mckinney to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mckinney
x2
x3

Old Post 02-13-2019 05:37 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

I picture several things when I read this. Number 1 thing is a gob of colorful lines on my garmin, #2 I picture a long eared bluetick #3 I picture a beagle beating a thicket!!

Old Post 02-13-2019 06:16 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I think Corey has the description that I was thinking of. Just one of those things you have to see to believe it.

Old Post 02-13-2019 06:51 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

Must be a bunch of them cause I see it all the time when there is one for sale

Old Post 02-13-2019 07:07 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adams, Harold
UKC Forum Member

Opens off the strap can run a cold track most can't smell just like an eyesight chase.....Coondog!!!!

Old Post 02-13-2019 09:09 PM
Adams, Harold is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adams, Harold Click here to Send Adams, Harold a Private Message Click Here to Email Adams, Harold Find more posts by Adams, Harold Add Adams, Harold to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

I think of

They finish or try to finish a particular track, usually the first track they come across. A good dog where coon are few and far between (winner). A low score dog in thick coon (looser). That's what I think of.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Last edited by jdgher on 02-13-2019 at 09:15 PM

Old Post 02-13-2019 09:13 PM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

How can anyone know how many bad tracks a dog passes up before he opens on one? That's my first thought.

Old Post 02-13-2019 09:45 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

A dog that takes tracks as they come to them.

quote:
Originally posted by Adams, Harold
Opens off the strap can run a cold track most can't smell just like an eyesight chase.....Coondog!!!!

Couldn't have said it any better. Do you know where one is that reproduces the same kind?

Now is the time of year and conditions are right to check your dogs ability in Wisconsin. THE SNOW DOESN'T LIE!

Old Post 02-13-2019 09:59 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Reading Jeremy Kidd's description of Joe Black on Friday night describes that dog. Treed a coon within 50yds and the last one of the five was 3/4 of a mile.

Old Post 02-13-2019 10:36 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adams, Harold
UKC Forum Member

Re: A dog that takes tracks as they come to them.

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry
Couldn't have said it any better. Do you know where one is that reproduces the same kind?

Now is the time of year and conditions are right to check your dogs ability in Wisconsin. THE SNOW DOESN'T LIE!

I'd say Wisconsin would be a good test for some of these super cooners... Mine can't pass the test here any time of the year...lol

Last edited by Adams, Harold on 02-14-2019 at 12:52 AM

Old Post 02-13-2019 11:34 PM
Adams, Harold is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adams, Harold Click here to Send Adams, Harold a Private Message Click Here to Email Adams, Harold Find more posts by Adams, Harold Add Adams, Harold to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: When you read "Takes His Tracks as they Come.

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
I have read that for years in Stud Dog ads. What does that mean to you.
Have many of you seen a dog that has several different styles of getting the coon up the tree.

This dog cannot be a competition hound...because if he hits a cold track first and takes it and there are plenty of coon then chances are he won’t win very often...because I don’t hunt hounds I could be way off track...it seems to me the average line of competition hounds need a medium to somewhat hot nose to be a winner day in and out...

Taking the track as it comes...Sounds like a good pleasure hound to me...

Old Post 02-14-2019 12:03 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

When you read "Takes His Tracks as they Come"

I would think it would mean that a dog would open on a coon track he/she was able to smell depending on the age or difficulty of the track. All dogs aren't able to open on every track they come across. A scent may have a different effect on different dogs. I would say a so called cold nosed dog would open on minimal coon scent where a more medium to hot nosed would need more scent to excite them enough to open. I believe most dogs can smell most coon tracks but not all will be excited enough to open hence watching a dog trail around for quite a while before they open. I've noted this many times when I had my old female who was very cold nosed. There are so many variables in this department that it's very hard to make a concrete evaluation, IMO. It sure is a good subject to discuss though.

Old Post 02-14-2019 02:41 AM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Trackdogs

Just because a track is cold doesn't necessarily mean that the coon is a long distance away. I've seen coon cross the road in the daytime and brought a dog 3 hours later and treed the coon in less than 10 on a fenceline 1/2 mile away.

Old Post 02-14-2019 02:43 AM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DocAcumen
UKC Forum Member

marking too come back for some thoughts questions

Old Post 02-14-2019 03:06 AM
DocAcumen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DocAcumen Click here to Send DocAcumen a Private Message Find more posts by DocAcumen Add DocAcumen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Lots of people say it's code for a track straddler, and some seem to think that a dog that is able to handle any type of track in a timely manner and produce a coon can't compete. I can't tell anyone what they should think of when they hear that particular phrase, but I've seen state leaders go and I've drawn world champions. I've seen dogs that win off of gimmicks, and some sure enough coon treers. But a dog that can honestly pick up an old track and move it better than most, and can also move a hot track abnormally fast is something you don't see every day. Or every ten years if you're honest with yourself and have a critical eye.

Old Post 02-14-2019 03:11 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

There is some body on here can not remember who , who says of it has fur and climbs it ain't trash. That is taking their tracks has they come. LOL

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 02-14-2019 04:16 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fox_91
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Roy Grant
Reading Jeremy Kidd's description of Joe Black on Friday night describes that dog. Treed a coon within 50yds and the last one of the five was 3/4 of a mile.

Joe is bred born and raised local to me. He is as nice as they come.

Old Post 02-14-2019 12:26 PM
fox_91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fox_91 Click here to Send fox_91 a Private Message Click Here to Email fox_91 Find more posts by fox_91 Add fox_91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

To me it means the dog isn’t blowing through the country looking for a hot track, he will take the cold track he comes across first and warm it up and get it treed.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 02-14-2019 01:26 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by HOBO
To me it means the dog isn’t blowing through the country looking for a hot track, he will take the cold track he comes across first and warm it up and get it treed.

Same to me.

Old Post 02-14-2019 03:49 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Prefer the dog that takes the first track they can get going without getting dog knotted

Old Post 02-14-2019 04:06 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote