UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > One coon, trouble
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

One coon, trouble

When out with my 4 so-called coon dogs. First they called me out 400 yrds to show me a treed possum. That's good. Then they called me 200 yrds to watch them fight a coon that they caught on the ground. When I got there, it was too late to intervein. One dogs had both ears and her nose cut up, my plot had a 2 inch gash on her shoulder and two holes on her head, my little red tick had her cheek cut open and my cur had holes in her head. I took one to the vet to get stitched up this morning. That will probably cost me $1000. Why oh why didn't that coon just climb a tree? Surely it knew the dogs were coming. Such a mess to clean up when I got home.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-16-2019 05:53 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

All these years, never took a dog to the vet for a coon bite. That chit will break you up. Just throw some flour on it, they will heal.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 02-16-2019 05:57 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

For a 1000.00 it should have gotten some plastic surgery!

Old Post 02-16-2019 06:22 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

It sounds like the coon decided to have a little fun with your dogs.

Old Post 02-16-2019 06:30 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

I normally never take one to the vet for bites and tears but had one abscess and had to have it drained. I've also seen some awful tears that needed stiches.

Old Post 02-16-2019 06:37 PM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

I don't know what exactly the bill will be. I was just speculating. I didn't take the other three because they looked like they'd be ok. I think I prefer possums. They are easier to find in the tree and if they don't climb, they don't tear up my dogs.

Old Post 02-16-2019 07:06 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Just be glad that it wasn't a bear or a wild hog. A buddy of mine had a real nice old bear dog. He figured it up once when the dog was 10 yrs old and had $20,000 in vet bills in the dog.

Old Post 02-16-2019 07:46 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nick B
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
Just throw some flour on it, they will heal.

Flour? What does that do?

Old Post 02-16-2019 10:26 PM
Nick B is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nick B Click here to Send Nick B a Private Message Find more posts by Nick B Add Nick B to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Coagulates the blood.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 02-16-2019 11:45 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rick St.Clair
UKC Forum Member

Yep flour stops the bleeding and a good smear of super glue will put it back together as good or better than stitches. And much cheaper.

Old Post 02-17-2019 12:35 AM
Rick St.Clair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rick St.Clair Click here to Send Rick St.Clair a Private Message Click Here to Email Rick St.Clair Find more posts by Rick St.Clair Add Rick St.Clair to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

I have used super glue a lot on dogs especially the ears!

Old Post 02-17-2019 12:43 AM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

Well the vet bill was only $350. That wasn't so bad. I've used super glue on cuts too.

Old Post 02-17-2019 12:47 AM
rrekab
UKC Forum Member

My first concern would be how could a single large coon whip that many dogs. I have hunted for years, one dog at a time. Anywhere from young to old, several coon on the ground over this time period. Normally when I show up to the "crime" screen, ears bleeding (maybe) and the dog baying the coon just keeping it in place. Sorry about that, just surprises me a coon could do that much damage. Thanks for sharing your story.

Old Post 02-17-2019 01:47 AM
rrekab is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rrekab Click here to Send rrekab a Private Message Click Here to Email rrekab Find more posts by rrekab Add rrekab to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

sounds like more was going on you didn't see.. for a coon to tear up that many dogs. the way you described. jmo

Old Post 02-17-2019 02:23 AM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bowling
UKC Forum Member

Sounds like the old coon just sat back and watched a good fight he might have only been the referee. Laughing out loud.only kidding I seen a mean old mama coon wax several dogs before. Just a little humor.

Old Post 02-17-2019 03:47 AM
bowling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling Click here to Send bowling a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling Visit bowling's homepage! Find more posts by bowling Add bowling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

All dogs aren’t kill dogs. I’ve seen plenty that couldn’t kill a coon if they had too. There ears will pour blood when split. Usually just get mud and pack them to stop the bleeding. Use superglue to keep them closed and give some antibiotics when back home.

Old Post 02-17-2019 03:55 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Many times multiple dogs will get torn up worse then one would cause ya get one dog yanking the coon around by the ars while the coon is hanging on to another dog

Old Post 02-17-2019 04:07 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

got a 500 acre swamp on Mteverst in fla !! any takers..1.00$ a acre.

Old Post 02-17-2019 02:07 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
barkeater
UKC Forum Member

I was told to never tell it was bitten by a coon. Then they want the coon to test for rabies. Also want to quarantine your dog. Yadkintar I never heard of flour. My grandfather use to use tar.

Old Post 02-17-2019 02:45 PM
barkeater is offline Click Here to See the Profile for barkeater Click here to Send barkeater a Private Message Click Here to Email barkeater Find more posts by barkeater Add barkeater to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Surveyor
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by croatankid
I don't know what exactly the bill will be. I was just speculating. I didn't take the other three because they looked like they'd be ok. I think I prefer possums. They are easier to find in the tree and if they don't climb, they don't tear up my dogs.

Put one in a hollow log with his back protected and you might be surprised how good a possum can fight!

2 time world finalist, 10th overall and high scoring Bluetick of the 2010 UKC World Coonhound Championship
NASHOBA VALLEY PIAZON, (RIP)
his littermate brother
UKC NT CH SHEPPARDS NORTHERN
BLUE LONER (RIP)
UKC GR NT CH RATTLERS BLUE SKY (RIP)
UKC Gr NT CH, PKC Ch Sheppard's Northern Blue Abbie, (PiazonxSky) UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Sheppards Northern Blue Punkin (PiazonXAlice) High scoring Bluetick of the 2015 (50th anniversary) Grand American, 2017 National Grand Nite Champion of breed, 2017 BBOA zone 4 Nite hunt dog of the year. Queen of hunt on 2019 Grand National Bluetick Reunion, 5th place and High Scoring Bluetick of 2019 UKC world Nite hunt Championship, 2019 Triple Crown Winner.
UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Mckintosh's Blue Flame Chopper
Gr Nt Ch Sheppards Northern Blue Goomba (Piazon X Dizzie) 14th place 2017 UKC world coon hound championship 100 purina point cast wins in 2018
and several other blueticks of lesser accomplishments

Old Post 02-17-2019 04:30 PM
Surveyor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Surveyor Click here to Send Surveyor a Private Message Click Here to Email Surveyor Find more posts by Surveyor Add Surveyor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

Styptic powder

I keep a small plastic jar of styptic powder in the dog box. Only needed it a couple times in many years. It stops bleeding real good. Used it many times on toe nails when cut a little short.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 02-17-2019 04:58 PM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

When I got to the fight, the dogs and coon were still moving. The dogs were each grabbing the coon and the coon would bite that dog and on it went. Each dog giving the other dog courage to fight. One dog at a time until finally when I got close all of them got it at once and even then the dogs were getting in each others way. I've never had good results using the powder for bleeding. I think this is only the second time these four dogs have caught a coon on the ground.. The first time was in a muddy creek. All I could see was eyes and teeth.

Old Post 02-17-2019 05:28 PM