UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hunting a dog Along.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

Hunting a dog Along.

I’m talking about pleasure hunting . What are some advantages and disadvantages on hunting a dog by there selfs?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-28-2020 04:58 AM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

Putting it simple, you learn fairly fast if you have a coon dog or not.

The down side is that some, not all males and females alike have a tendency to become aggressive when they get with other dogs when hunted alone all the time and many coons are being shot to them.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 02-28-2020 12:21 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deercop
UKC Forum Member

The biggest and best thing hunting a dog alone is build confidence in a young hound.

Old Post 02-28-2020 12:22 PM
deercop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for deercop Click here to Send deercop a Private Message Find more posts by deercop Add deercop to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gmccall
UKC Forum Member

I've hunted every dog I have had by it's self around 75 -80 percent of the time up to about 2 and half years old after that about half the time . But until you hunt strang ground with strang dogs, maybe about 10 different dogs you never know really what you have !

Old Post 02-28-2020 12:38 PM
Gmccall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gmccall Click here to Send Gmccall a Private Message Click Here to Email Gmccall Find more posts by Gmccall Add Gmccall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

Re: Hunting a dog Along.

quote:
Originally posted by rdmedders
I’m talking about pleasure hunting . What are some advantages and disadvantages on hunting a dog by there selfs?

I’ve always hunted my dogs by there selfs. I’ve got a 8 year old that will go as deep as he needs to find a coon , he’s hunted by his self all his life.
The only down side is he’s not real fast out the gate, he doesn’t have another dog with him to push him!
I’ve just always hunted my dogs along.
You can know what you’ve got , some dogs might just tree with others!

Old Post 02-28-2020 12:44 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

Pros & Cons

Hunting one alone is really good for a his confidence. Nothing like knowing what you are feeding. I have a redbone male and when he is with my Walker female he looks really really good. Strikes and trees ahead of her quite often. Alone he just lacks the confidence to get it done.. Just did not have the time to do him justice when he was a young hound and give him that alone time he needed...I just like hunting two hounds that work good together.. Just a preference I guess plus I have two boys and they both want to hear their dog tree...All Pleasure Hunting for us!

Old Post 02-28-2020 04:02 PM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

Re: Pros & Cons

quote:
Originally posted by Dan&Ann
Hunting one alone is really good for a his confidence. Nothing like knowing what you are feeding. I have a redbone male and when he is with my Walker female he looks really really good. Strikes and trees ahead of her quite often. Alone he just lacks the confidence to get it done.. Just did not have the time to do him justice when he was a young hound and give him that alone time he needed...I just like hunting two hounds that work good together.. Just a preference I guess plus I have two boys and they both want to hear their dog tree...All Pleasure Hunting for us!

I cannot handle two hounds in the woods ! It’s rough on me!

Old Post 02-28-2020 04:24 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Hunting the pup by himself and you won’t have worry about him getting chewed up by an alligator at the tree...that could be a major setback for the pup...

Old Post 02-28-2020 04:58 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

I got a young hound a couple years ago, I've hunted him 95% of the time alone. This is the first hound I started 100% alone- with no older hounds to show him how to do it.

The good has been that I never had to worry about him picking up bad habits from other dogs. He was able to develop however his instincts told him to. He very much sees me as his alpha and really wants to please me.

The down side- bear in my mind I hunt in very very thin coon- You really are not sure what your dog is doing without a measuring stick of a good mature hound. Let's say your young hound is pushing tracks really slow for a few weeks, just not doing a good job on them. Is it really old tracks he is running? Is it hot tracks and he is a sorry track dog? Or, if your young dog is out hunting and does not jump a coon- were they not moving or is the young dog not good finding tracks? You will figure these things out- but when a good trusted dog does certain things well you will know what conditions are and what results should be. With just a young dog alone for about a year anyway you will not know if the dog is doing something wrong or if the conditions are just poor.

I think if you hunt where you have a good chance of hitting a hot coon track every night it negates some of this.

Old Post 02-28-2020 05:41 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Hunting any dog alone you'll know a few things. You'll know it can track and tree a coon. If the dog will trash without any influence from others. You can have an idea on how fast a dog is on track but not really. You can't always tell how fast the dog is if there's no competition on the same track. You won't know if the dog will pull from pressure at a tree. Or if the dog has "big ears" and will quit what its doing to go "me too".

Best way I've seen to hunt a young dog is (under 15 months) is alone, then start hunting it with others 50% of the time when it has enough confidence to tree coons consistently. Then you know what you need to work on or if the dog just won't suit you.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 02-29-2020 12:57 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Eric DePue

I agree with you, I want to see my dogs do it alone enough times to know they can, then I want to see them operate with other dogs. I want to see my dogs operate under pressure like split treeing, not running trash with other dogs and do their own thing while under pressure, then I can say they are broke. Any dog can act decent by themselves, it's under pressure that really counts, at least for me. Dave

Old Post 02-29-2020 02:05 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote