UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Elephants and Coondogs
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce M. Conkey

Elephants and Coondogs

Study these two pictures and you will find the key to successful coondogs. I will explain later!! lol

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-19-2014 09:38 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

Dang.

Old Post 12-19-2014 10:07 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
john Duemmer
UKC Forum Member

Is this a Bluetick joke?

Old Post 12-19-2014 10:09 PM
john Duemmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john Duemmer Click here to Send john Duemmer a Private Message Click Here to Email john Duemmer Find more posts by john Duemmer Add john Duemmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hilltopkennels
UKC Forum Member

The 2 things you don't want a dog doing?

Old Post 12-19-2014 11:28 PM
hilltopkennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hilltopkennels Click here to Send hilltopkennels a Private Message Click Here to Email hilltopkennels Find more posts by hilltopkennels Add hilltopkennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blackflagginit
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by hilltopkennels
The 2 things you don't want a dog doing?

that would be my guess

*billy jack

It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it.

Robert E. Lee

Old Post 12-19-2014 11:29 PM
blackflagginit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blackflagginit Click here to Send blackflagginit a Private Message Click Here to Email blackflagginit Find more posts by blackflagginit Add blackflagginit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

That's good and makes sense but not the point I am going to try and make. In the morning when I have time I will add my point of view.

Old Post 12-20-2014 12:22 AM
mike shannon
UKC Forum Member

I say balance and breeding

NITECH CH HTX PR SHANNON'S HILLBILLY CHIEF 6 CAST WINS
PR SHANNON’S HILLBILLY LUCIE
PR SHANNON’S HILLBILLY MAXIE

If you can read this thank a TEACHER
If you can read this in English, thank a VETERAN

www.freewebs.com/shannonshowmekennels

United States Army Retired

Old Post 12-20-2014 12:34 AM
mike shannon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike shannon Click here to Send mike shannon a Private Message Click Here to Email mike shannon Find more posts by mike shannon Add mike shannon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AndyMiller
UKC Forum Member

not standing on there heads on a track
and not just follow the other hounds[ me to ]

Old Post 12-20-2014 12:59 AM
AndyMiller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AndyMiller Click here to Send AndyMiller a Private Message Click Here to Email AndyMiller Find more posts by AndyMiller Add AndyMiller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
roger wickerham
UKC Forum Member

training and bonding if you already have genatics

Old Post 12-20-2014 04:09 AM
roger wickerham is offline Click Here to See the Profile for roger wickerham Click here to Send roger wickerham a Private Message Click Here to Email roger wickerham Find more posts by roger wickerham Add roger wickerham to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jackson87
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by roger wickerham
training and bonding if you already have genatics

That's what I'm thinking.

Old Post 12-20-2014 04:20 AM
Jackson87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jackson87 Click here to Send Jackson87 a Private Message Find more posts by Jackson87 Add Jackson87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

You can make an Elephant stand on his head But he's still and Elephant!

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 12-20-2014 04:37 AM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuck west
UKC Forum Member

Elephants ,,,let me think ,, I say the Republican National Convention will be held here on the next go round . lol

Gold Life member of G.P.A.A. #257936
Member of The Lost Dutchman's Mining Association #02890729

Old Post 12-20-2014 04:47 AM
chuck west is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chuck west Click here to Send chuck west a Private Message Find more posts by chuck west Add chuck west to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Bentz
UKC Forum Member

I got two that act just like that on a bad track that they can't handle

Old Post 12-20-2014 05:36 AM
Jason Bentz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Bentz Click here to Send Jason Bentz a Private Message Click Here to Email Jason Bentz Find more posts by Jason Bentz Add Jason Bentz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

Hunt a dog alone and he will learn to do some amazing work, or hunt him with a pack and he will more than like learn to just follow the leader. That's my guess

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

GRNITECH ST. JOHN'S STYLISH REX
(Ol south stylish Rebel X Janey)

GRNITECH' AFTER DARK'S JAN-IT
(Sweat It X Janey)

DUAL GRNITE' LONETREE LEGEND (R.I.P.)
(Noct. Style X Southern Sky)

GRNITECH' STYLISH LITTLE PEG(R.I.P.)
(Trackman X Browns Little Peg)

GRNITECH 'PR' JANEY'S GOTTA GUN
(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

NITECH ‘PR’ REBELS STYLISH MOJA
(Ol Souths Stylish Rebel X Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

NITECH' SEVEN MILE SLOOPY(R.I.P.)
(Skipper x Big time Trixie)

Proud UNION JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN
https://i.postimg.cc/654pWfzm/IMG-1920.png
I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 12-20-2014 07:58 AM
jkidd1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkidd1 Click here to Send jkidd1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jkidd1 Find more posts by jkidd1 Add jkidd1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John D
UKC Forum Member

Don't stand on your head and work with others to get where you want to go.

Not bad rules, but imo the biggest rule to successful coondogs is to get to the woods and coonhunt.

Click here to visit The B&T Coonhunters Message Forum for news, views, open discussion, ads, and event winners in the B&T Breed (Registration, with your full name, required)

Click here to see my Dog List

Old Post 12-20-2014 01:35 PM
John D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John D Click here to Send John D a Private Message Click Here to Email John D Visit John D's homepage! Find more posts by John D Add John D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jkidd1
Hunt a dog alone and he will learn to do some amazing work, or hunt him with a pack and he will more than like learn to just follow the leader. That's my guess

Well played...

Old Post 12-20-2014 01:40 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

If your hound chases one of these you will need the "New Conkey's Super Duper" shock collar?

Old Post 12-20-2014 01:40 PM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

You guys are pretty good. Lets start with the bottom Picture of the Elephants walking. That looks like a neat circus trick just like the picture of the Elephant standing on its head. When in fact the bottom picture is a result of Genetics and the animals doing something that is bred in them to do. It comes naturally and all they need for it to happen is to be in the right environment.
Some people can also teach an elephant to stand on its head but that is not natural and the animal is not genetically inclined to stand on its head without training.
Breed the bottom elephants and you will have their offspring walking through the woods, tail to trunk. Breed the one standing on it's head and none of its offspring will ever stand on their head without specialized training and know how from a handler.

I am kind of surprised here by a statement John D made where he said the biggest rule to successful coondogs is to get to the woods and coon hunt. Maybe he takes for granted the genetics of the dogs he has and is overlooking the first key to success which is having the right genetics which I feel he has in his pen. I have seen his post enough on here to know he puts a lot of emphasis in the stock of dogs he breeds and then trains. Actually I was asked last week at a hunt if I knew someone that bred a good stock of Black and Tans and John D's name popped into my mind because of the genetics he has in his hounds. If someone told me tomorrow to go find a Black and Tan puppy and if I could finish it to a coonhound they would pay me big money. John D would be one of the first people I called to see if he had a puppy. No this is not an ad to sell pups for John D. This is about starting out with the right genetics in your coonhound which i feel we overlook at times.

First and for most we should look for dogs that have the natural ability to hunt, track and tree coon.

I will be the first to say once you you get a pup with the right genetics the road to the finish line is still a long and lonely one.
The environment you put him in plays a major role in the development of his genetic pre disposition. The elephants walking tail to trunk would never do so if they were in a pen to small to walk around in. They would never do so if they were the never exposed to another elephant. They would never do so if they were abused to the point their tail was tucked between their legs. In other words they would never do so if they were not in a environment that allowed their natural ability to come out.

Coonhounds need two basic environments. One for healthy growth of their body when young. The second is growth of their minds in an environment that allows their natural ability to hunt, track and tree to develop. This environment also includes correction at times.

So the moral to the story is. You can teach an Elephant to stand on its head, but it is not natural. The more natural ability you have in your coonhound pups the less training you have to do and the better off both of you will be. Plus it is a lot more fun!!

Last edited by on 12-20-2014 at 03:07 PM

Old Post 12-20-2014 02:46 PM
john Duemmer
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce M. Conkey
You guys are pretty good. Lets start with the bottom Picture of the Elephants walking. That looks like a neat circus trick just like the picture of the Elephant standing on its head. When in fact the bottom picture is a results of Genetics and the animals doing something that is bred in them to do. It comes naturally and all they need for it to happen is to be in the right environment.
Some people can also teach an elephant to stand on its head but that is not natural and the animal is not genetically inclined to stand on its head without training.
Breed the bottom elephants and you will have their offspring walking through the woods, tail to trunk. Breed the one standing on it's head and none of its offspring will ever stand on their head without specialized training and know how from a handler.

I am kind of surprised here by a statement John D made where he said the biggest rule to successful coondogs is to get to the woods and coon hunt. Maybe he takes for granted the genetics of the dogs he has and is overlooking the first key to success which is having the right genetics which I feel he has in his pen. I have seen his post enough on here to know he puts a lot of emphasis in the stock of dogs he breeds and then trains. Actually I was asked last week at a hunt if I knew someone that bred a good stock of Black and Tans and John D's name popped into my mind because of the genetics he has in his hounds. If someone told me tomorrow to go find a Black and Tan puppy and if I could finish it to a coonhound they would pay me big money. John D would be one of the first people I called to see if he had a puppy. No this is not an ad to sell pups for John D. This is about starting out with the right genetics in your coonhound which i feel we overlook at times.

First and for most we should look for dogs that have the natural ability to hunt, track and tree coon.

I will be the first to say once you you get a pup with the right genetics the road to the finish line is a long and lonely one.
The environment you put him in plays a major role in the development of his genetic pre disposition. The elephants walking tail to trunk would never do so if they were in a pen to small to walk around in. They would never do so if they were the never exposed to another elephant. They would never do so if they were abused to the point their tail was tucked between their legs. In other words they would never do so if they were not in a environment that allowed their natural ability to come out.

Coonhounds need two basic environments. One for healthy growth of their body when young. The second is growth of their minds in an environment that allows their natural ability to hunt, track and tree to develop. This environment also includes correction at times.

So the moral to the story is. You can teach an Elephant to stand on its head, but it is not natural. The more natural ability you have in your coonhound pups the less training you have to do and the better off both of you will be. Plus it is a lot more fun!!

Best post iv read on here in a long time.

Old Post 12-20-2014 02:56 PM
john Duemmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john Duemmer Click here to Send john Duemmer a Private Message Click Here to Email john Duemmer Find more posts by john Duemmer Add john Duemmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jackson87
UKC Forum Member

That is so true Bruce.Way to go!

Old Post 12-20-2014 03:38 PM
Jackson87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jackson87 Click here to Send Jackson87 a Private Message Find more posts by Jackson87 Add Jackson87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Davis
UKC Forum Member

Good post Bruce!

I hunt with Bruce about 5 nights a week. He has taught me a lot in the short bit of time we have been hunting and working together. But when he started asking me if I ever seen elephants do this first thing yesterday morning. I thought for a minute he fell and bumped his head walking through the woods the other night! Lol Makes a lot of sense and the puppies we have right now show genetics passed down from there mom and dad and really prove what he has to say about the elephants. I believe analogies and comparing one thing to another is a great way to prove a point or learn about something like genetics that is so misunderstood.

Old Post 12-20-2014 05:17 PM
Corey Davis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Davis Click here to Send Corey Davis a Private Message Click Here to Email Corey Davis Visit Corey Davis's homepage! Find more posts by Corey Davis Add Corey Davis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brogy
UKC Forum Member

One of the best posts ever Bruce. So true.

Old Post 12-20-2014 07:43 PM
brogy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brogy Click here to Send brogy a Private Message Click Here to Email brogy Find more posts by brogy Add brogy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blackflagginit
UKC Forum Member

quote:

So the moral to the story is. The more natural ability you have in your coonhound pups the less training you have to do and the better off both of you will be. Plus it is a lot more fun!!

someone asked me once which was more important in the success of a pup, the breeding or the training. My reply was that was asking rather I would rather have a truck who's engine knocked or transmission slipped.

You can screw up the best bred pup, and you can train past some minor faults....a good trainer can make a halfway decent dog out of halfazz pup and a pizzpoor trainer can make an idiot out of the best bred dog on the planet.

I can teach a collie to tree a coon, and have. its not going to win the world hunt though or even compete at any decent level. I have also fixed a lot of dogs other trainers had made a mess of.

point here is you have to have both if your ever going to get anywhere....just like that pickup

*billy jack

Robert E. Lee

Old Post 12-20-2014 10:49 PM
blackflagginit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blackflagginit Click here to Send blackflagginit a Private Message Click Here to Email blackflagginit Find more posts by blackflagginit Add blackflagginit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blackflagginit
UKC Forum Member

quote:

So the moral to the story is. The more natural ability you have in your coonhound pups the less training you have to do and the better off both of you will be. Plus it is a lot more fun!!

someone asked me once which was more important in the success of a pup, the breeding or the training. My reply was that was asking rather I would rather have a truck who's engine knocked or transmission slipped.

You can screw up the best bred pup, and you can train past some minor faults....a good trainer can make a halfway decent dog out of halfazz pup and a pizzpoor trainer can make an idiot out of the best bred dog on the planet.

I can teach a collie to tree a coon, and have. its not going to win the world hunt though or even compete at any decent level. I have also fixed a lot of dogs other trainers had made a mess of.

point here is you have to have both if your ever going to get anywhere....just like that pickup

*billy jack

Robert E. Lee

Old Post 12-20-2014 10:49 PM
blackflagginit
UKC Forum Member

btw I happen to know john personally and have hunted with him on a few occasions. he has both the breeding and training covered in his kennel. He is competent at both.

*billy jack

Robert E. Lee

Old Post 12-20-2014 10:55 PM