UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Toughest State To Hunt
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bluedogtn
UKC Forum Member

Toughest State To Hunt

Just looking for some experiences of the toughest states yall have hunted in. Coon pop.,terrain,etc.

Southern Blue Copper

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-24-2010 12:02 AM
bluedogtn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluedogtn Click here to Send bluedogtn a Private Message Click Here to Email bluedogtn Find more posts by bluedogtn Add bluedogtn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

Georgia....not because i live here, but because it is just tougher to tree coons here due to population, the weather is hot hot in summer, and can get pretty cool here in winter. Brairs are everywhere due to timber harvesting, and yes those snakes are something to deal with also.I'm sure it is tough about anywhere down south. Most places i have been up north are cake walks compared to here.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 02-24-2010 12:12 AM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BWSupplies
UKC Forum Member

North Carolina

You can go from the mountains to the coast and hills, swamps and flat land in between. We don't have as many coons as other states and it takes a good dog to get it done.
Fall and winter isn't so bad. As for spring and summer, we go straight from cold weather to hot weather. Hot weather you have to contend with rattle snakes, copperheads, and cotton mouth. If you are in swamps around the coast, you have gators( they think walkers taste like chicken! LOL ) Come on to NC and give it a try.

bwsupplies@aol.com
704-791-7751
36479 NC HWY 49
New London, NC, 28127
President of the SBA
Member of the BBOA & BBCHA
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Backwoods-Supplies/167389623298613

Old Post 02-24-2010 12:12 AM
BWSupplies is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BWSupplies Click here to Send BWSupplies a Private Message Click Here to Email BWSupplies Find more posts by BWSupplies Add BWSupplies to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chuckydw
UKC Forum Member

North TX. Not very many coons and the ones there are like to run. And when they run they run fence rows. They don't run bottoms. Also it gets hotter that he$$ here in the summertime.

Old Post 02-24-2010 12:17 AM
chuckydw is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chuckydw Click here to Send chuckydw a Private Message Click Here to Email chuckydw Find more posts by chuckydw Add chuckydw to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluedogtn
UKC Forum Member

I get plenty of exercise in the big hills around here. I dont know if my dogs would hunt in the swamps. They do ok with water as long as it aint 20 degrees like it has been. Also, the coon population is very low here too due to a select few that kill every coon they see.

Southern Blue Copper

Old Post 02-24-2010 12:18 AM
bluedogtn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluedogtn Click here to Send bluedogtn a Private Message Click Here to Email bluedogtn Find more posts by bluedogtn Add bluedogtn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blue Iron
UKC Forum Member

Worst places I've hunted have been Eastern Kentucky (Mountains) and Northern Florida (THICK Swamps)

GRCH GRNITECH"PR" Blue Iron Brummy HTX

Top 100 Finalist 2012 UKC World Hunt.

King of Hunt 2013 BBOA National Bluetick Days

Tree Blue

I use and recommend Backwoods Supplies

Old Post 02-24-2010 12:22 AM
Blue Iron is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blue Iron Click here to Send Blue Iron a Private Message Click Here to Email Blue Iron Find more posts by Blue Iron Add Blue Iron to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Okie Dawg
UKC Forum Member

This should be interesting. A lot of states have a lot of variance in terrain and weather. Oklahoma goes from small mountains on the east to desert like on the west to rocky hills on the south to crop land grass and creaks on the north. We pretty much have it all. So I would say we have as hard as most but we have as good as most allso. Just depends on were you want to go to hunt.
Never even been there but here Arizonia is tough to track in.

Tonkawa Okla. 74653
580-628-0507
CH 'PR' Grady's Dark Woods Waylon -Bluetic

NITECH 'PR' Grady's Insane Tinker Bell (Tink) - Treeing walker --Okla. State Hunt open redg. winner

'PR' Grady's Barley - Treeing Walker

Old Post 02-24-2010 12:27 AM
Okie Dawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Okie Dawg Click here to Send Okie Dawg a Private Message Click Here to Email Okie Dawg Find more posts by Okie Dawg Add Okie Dawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BWSupplies
UKC Forum Member

They say everything's tougher in Alaska!

bwsupplies@aol.com
704-791-7751
36479 NC HWY 49
New London, NC, 28127
President of the SBA
Member of the BBOA & BBCHA
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Backwoods-Supplies/167389623298613

Old Post 02-24-2010 12:29 AM
BWSupplies is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BWSupplies Click here to Send BWSupplies a Private Message Click Here to Email BWSupplies Find more posts by BWSupplies Add BWSupplies to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdw2920
UKC Forum Member

southeast tn

Old Post 02-24-2010 01:26 AM
jdw2920 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdw2920 Click here to Send jdw2920 a Private Message Find more posts by jdw2920 Add jdw2920 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ki4qpu
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jdw2920
southeast tn

I will second that! I don't know if it is the toughest. But I sure have been in some places I wish I wasn't.

Home of the pot lickers

Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day! Teach a man to fish, and tomorrow he'll have all his buddies in your fishin' hole!

Old Post 02-24-2010 01:48 AM
ki4qpu is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ki4qpu Click here to Send ki4qpu a Private Message Click Here to Email ki4qpu Find more posts by ki4qpu Add ki4qpu to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdw2920
UKC Forum Member

Its pretty tough if you get one a night you are lucky. All who you know around here because there is not very many land to hunt.
Plus them hills are rough.

Old Post 02-24-2010 01:57 AM
jdw2920 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdw2920 Click here to Send jdw2920 a Private Message Find more posts by jdw2920 Add jdw2920 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lccoonhunter
UKC Forum Member

I

AM WITH BILL I WOULD SAY THE CAROLINAS SWAMPS,HILLS AND ALL IN BETWEEN!

704-320-5232
KEEP THE YOUTH INVOLVED SOMEDAY YOU WILL GET OLD IF THE GOOD LORD ALLOWS IT AND YOU WILL WANT SOMEBODY TO TAKE YOU HUNTING!!!!!!!!!

Old Post 02-24-2010 02:06 AM
lccoonhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lccoonhunter Click here to Send lccoonhunter a Private Message Click Here to Email lccoonhunter Find more posts by lccoonhunter Add lccoonhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
marvgru
UKC Forum Member

Iowa! lol! I had to say it!sorry!

Old Post 02-24-2010 02:43 AM
marvgru is offline Click Here to See the Profile for marvgru Click here to Send marvgru a Private Message Click Here to Email marvgru Find more posts by marvgru Add marvgru to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lonnie Tackett
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Blue Iron
Worst places I've hunted have been Eastern Kentucky (Mountains) and Northern Florida (THICK Swamps)

I live here in the mountains in eastern ky, and blue iron has it right . just 2 directions straight up or straight down . if you have a dog that can be consistent here and tree half of the coons you run then you have a limbskinner in most other states . did i mention rattlesnakes out the gazoonga

Old Post 02-24-2010 03:01 AM
Lonnie Tackett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lonnie Tackett Click here to Send Lonnie Tackett a Private Message Click Here to Email Lonnie Tackett Find more posts by Lonnie Tackett Add Lonnie Tackett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jake2
UKC Forum Member

Up here in northern Minnesota can be tough. I will admit spring and fall we get some nice hunting but winters are long and cold 20 below right now outside summers are short and all the hunting is around swamps. Misquetos are thick and as big as birds I believe the areas talked about are tougher hunting but I would take it compared to here walking through deep snow is just as hard as any hills. Im not trying to take anything away from any of you others that have tough going just saying theres more to think about.

Old Post 02-24-2010 12:47 PM
jake2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jake2 Click here to Send jake2 a Private Message Click Here to Email jake2 Find more posts by jake2 Add jake2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

Hawahii

Old Post 02-24-2010 12:51 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluedogtn
UKC Forum Member

Im just glad noone is fighting over which state it the toughest to hunt lol. I guess almost every state has someone that makes it tough to hunt. Im not going to say these hills(s. eastern ky,northeaster tn) are the toughest to hunt,because im 21 and they dont bother me YET !! I have always wanted to check out the hunting out west. Hows the coon population and terrain out there...maybe around iowa

Southern Blue Copper

Old Post 02-24-2010 01:24 PM
jake2
UKC Forum Member

up here in the fall i have some good hunting when the coon are in the corn. We have some nice size coon too,a guy from missouri was up here working pipeline we took him hunting a few times he was suprized at the size of the coon. our coon pop is getting back up some now i have seen 9 or 10 many nights. years ago seemed like there was always 5 to 7 per tree now 2 in a tree is good. last fall was pretty good i cant complain i got to shoot a few for the dogs and seen quite a few. i want to hunt down south just to try it.We dont have the hunters up here like a lot of places have not many hunts to go to but i think that helps our coon pop. I look at some states that have hunts everyweekend and think that would be nice but im sure with that many people running hounds it gets tougher to find a coon to tree.

Old Post 02-24-2010 01:59 PM
jake2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jake2 Click here to Send jake2 a Private Message Click Here to Email jake2 Find more posts by jake2 Add jake2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ray Lilly
UKC Forum Member

South Ga and North FL. SWAMPS!!!

Gr.NiteCh. Lilly's GA. Joe (GrniteCh Flippo's Mr.Bigshot X NiteCh Ace female)
Gr.NiteCh. Lilly's GA. Buckshot (Joe X Albert's Last Chance female)
'PR' Lilly&Swan's Allnight Tuff Enuf (Joe X GrNite Ch Swan's Allnight Ashley)co-owned with Jamie Swan
'PR' Lilly's Ga. Joe II (Joe X GrNiteCh Ch Swan's Allnight Ashley)
'PR' Collake's Pretty Patsy (4 Time Floyd x Rocket female)

Old Post 02-24-2010 02:04 PM
Ray Lilly is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ray Lilly Click here to Send Ray Lilly a Private Message Click Here to Email Ray Lilly Find more posts by Ray Lilly Add Ray Lilly to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
henkeanthony
UKC Forum Member

I'll tell you here in central missouri is pretty tough. All these rolling hills, river, and creek bottoms are rough.

660-728-2944

Old Post 02-24-2010 02:27 PM
henkeanthony is offline Click Here to See the Profile for henkeanthony Click here to Send henkeanthony a Private Message Click Here to Email henkeanthony Find more posts by henkeanthony Add henkeanthony to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jstrow
UKC Forum Member

minnesota is an easy place to hunt if you have a good dog ive treed coon just about every month this year. i would think florida would be hard to hunt

Old Post 02-24-2010 02:29 PM
jstrow is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jstrow Click here to Send jstrow a Private Message Find more posts by jstrow Add jstrow to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM

I have never hunted in WV but I have drove all over it and I can't imagine a tougher place to follow a hound.

Old Post 02-24-2010 03:01 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike shannon
UKC Forum Member

LOUISIANA

All the underbrush, snakes,gators, and summer heat plus every bug known to mankind

NITECH CH HTX PR SHANNON'S HILLBILLY CHIEF 6 CAST WINS
PR SHANNON’S HILLBILLY LUCIE
PR SHANNON’S HILLBILLY MAXIE

If you can read this thank a TEACHER
If you can read this in English, thank a VETERAN

www.freewebs.com/shannonshowmekennels

United States Army Retired

Old Post 02-24-2010 03:15 PM
mike shannon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike shannon Click here to Send mike shannon a Private Message Click Here to Email mike shannon Find more posts by mike shannon Add mike shannon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
adam coffman
UKC Forum Member

where i live in wv is tough.straight up and down..

Old Post 02-24-2010 03:19 PM
adam coffman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for adam coffman Click here to Send adam coffman a Private Message Click Here to Email adam coffman Find more posts by adam coffman Add adam coffman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Big R.D.
UKC Forum Member

rough hunting

If any of you hunters get around iowa let me know i have it easy and lots of coons to tree. i dont mind rough hunting but the snakes would make me a little jumpy.

Old Post 02-24-2010 03:33 PM
Big R.D. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Big R.D. Click here to Send Big R.D. a Private Message Click Here to Email Big R.D. Find more posts by Big R.D. Add Big R.D. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote