UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > February coons
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
wildcat3
UKC Forum Member

February coons

Ive had hard time treeing coons the last few weeks. Before anyone says its all dog power I'll be first to admit mine arnt world beaters or competition dogs but I've had some dang good nights with them. Last few weeks haven't been anything to brag about though. Ive always heard they get hard to tree in the dead of winter. Just curious why ? Seems like its the best time of year to be in the woods in the south with no leaves bugs snakes or deer hunters but we sure have had a hard time finding a good track.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-11-2020 01:24 PM
wildcat3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildcat3 Click here to Send wildcat3 a Private Message Click Here to Email wildcat3 Find more posts by wildcat3 Add wildcat3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

No matter what answers you get on here the skills of the dog comes into play with it. Weather, rutting boars, rutting trash,fewer Coons available or ground conditions...pick one but dog power will overcome it.

Old Post 02-11-2020 04:14 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bweddle
UKC Forum Member

Slick tree'n

I have a young dog that had been do'n good. She has been come'n up slick the past few weeks. My other dog still trees real live coons on the outside. Young dog isn't gonna stay here.

Old Post 02-11-2020 06:58 PM
Bweddle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bweddle Click here to Send Bweddle a Private Message Click Here to Email Bweddle Find more posts by Bweddle Add Bweddle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Well when I was young I didn’t just chase girls at night. That why your getting bad tracks lol.

Tar

Old Post 02-11-2020 07:03 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Feb. Coons

My measuring stick has always been how good and accurate a dog was in Jan and Feb. This is what separates a coon dog from a dog that is average. If you have a dig that trees coons every night accurately in Jan and Feb. You have a coon dog. Dave

Old Post 02-11-2020 08:39 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

X2

Old Post 02-11-2020 08:54 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

I expect my dog to continue to tree coon Jan-March but will say that this is the time of year when I may hunt
for 2-3 hours without getting a bark. There will be times when the coon are just laid up. But if he can find a track I expect him to tree it. Does he do that every time? No, but he better be able to do it most of the time.

Old Post 02-11-2020 09:31 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tom Wood

Liked your post, very accurate description of the time of year and w hat we expect. What is not acceptable are a bunch of slick trees, not for me anyway! Dave

Old Post 02-11-2020 09:53 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: Feb. Coons

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
My measuring stick has always been how good and accurate a dog was in Jan and Feb. This is what separates a coon dog from a dog that is average. If you have a dig that trees coons every night accurately in Jan and Feb. You have a coon dog. Dave

I include December and March for here also. IMHO the toughest month to tree a coon here is December. Its cold, the rut hasn't started, and they change feeding times and locations. Some of my best nights have been in January and also my worst nights.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 02-11-2020 10:11 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dec. Jan and Feb.

Difference in treeing coons every night in the outside, while mist folks are treeing dens or slicks, is hunting a true coon dog. These months separates the digs and the hunters, I love wintertime coon hunting with a coon dog, you don't have any excuses it's there or it's not. Dave

Old Post 02-11-2020 10:37 PM
Wayne Valentino
UKC Forum Member

all

the half wit and mentally challenged coon are dead... Those rutting and able to carry forward the population are still out there.. They are harder to tree... and should be, survival of the fittest.

Old Post 02-11-2020 10:45 PM
Wayne Valentino is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wayne Valentino Click here to Send Wayne Valentino a Private Message Click Here to Email Wayne Valentino Find more posts by Wayne Valentino Add Wayne Valentino to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Mr.Tom Mr.Dave

I'm having a hard time comprehending not getting after one in a 3hr time period.Blows my mind!

Old Post 02-11-2020 10:48 PM
yadkintar
Banned

What ever yall say your dogs won’t do and you won’t tolerate this time of year. They will do down here this time of year and you will pooch up and go home never to return I seen some big winners look stupid down here lol.

Abra cadabra !!! It’s majic lol.

Tar

Old Post 02-11-2020 11:09 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MUSKY
UKC Forum Member

From February to the first of May is probably my favorite time to hunt. Once they start rutting it is fun if you have a good track dog.

Home of:
A couple old plugs

Old Post 02-12-2020 12:22 AM
MUSKY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MUSKY Click here to Send MUSKY a Private Message Click Here to Email MUSKY Find more posts by MUSKY Add MUSKY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Re: Mr.Tom Mr.Dave

quote:
Originally posted by 2ol2hunt
I'm having a hard time comprehending not getting after one in a 3hr time period.Blows my mind!

Usually happens when a cold spell comes in and the temp is in the teens or lower. Seems like after it's been cold a while they move again. But yes I will have a hunt or two every year where I never hear a dog bark.

Old Post 02-12-2020 05:35 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

been treeing breeding pairs and taking long walks ,lol the boars will be above the female who will be facing down hill when you tree them dog knotted ,

Old Post 02-12-2020 08:14 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Give it a month, the weather will break, conditions will improve dramatically and so will your coon treeing..

You can tree coons on full moon nights, cold weather and howling thunder storms, but not as many as you can on a warm, dark night that all the critters in the woods are moving about..

Not every night is the same in game movement and tracking conditions.. The consistent hound that can handle all of these is a rare bird, and if you find him or her you will be blessed..

Snow, bright moon, lay that sucker up and let him and you rest up and be prepared to hunt the better weather.. Work smarter, not harder..

There is a season and time for everything and sometimes, you just need to relax and let conditions change a bit, generally doesn't take long..

Old Post 02-12-2020 01:10 PM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Hall
Give it a month, the weather will break, conditions will improve dramatically and so will your coon treeing..

You can tree coons on full moon nights, cold weather and howling thunder storms, but not as many as you can on a warm, dark night that all the critters in the woods are moving about..

Not every night is the same in game movement and tracking conditions.. The consistent hound that can handle all of these is a rare bird, and if you find him or her you will be blessed..

Snow, bright moon, lay that sucker up and let him and you rest up and be prepared to hunt the better weather.. Work smarter, not harder..

There is a season and time for everything and sometimes, you just need to relax and let conditions change a bit, generally doesn't take long..

Larry Hall you said it all...great post. Last night here was one of those movement nights! It was cloudy, 35 and a front moving in...everything was on the move and it was a great night to be out! So much more productive to make 3 trees in an hour than standing in 20 degrees and rain and defining a "coon dog" as you watch your Garmin as it crosses 4 roads, 2 train tracks and 3 mountains to prove its worth.

I look at my coon hunting a lot like fishing. There are just better days and better times! Sure, you can sit out there and spend 3 hours per fish but for what? I'd rather wait and hammer them when conditions are right.....but then again I'm also not trying to win the bassmaster classic.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 02-12-2020 01:47 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Olrebel
Banned

I dot hunt till February , I dont like treeing easy coons, even tho ole kattie still makes em look easy .

Old Post 02-12-2020 01:51 PM
Olrebel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Olrebel Click here to Send Olrebel a Private Message Click Here to Email Olrebel Find more posts by Olrebel Add Olrebel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Olrebel

Kattie sounds like my kind of coon dog. Enjoy her my friend they get old way to fast. Dave

Old Post 02-12-2020 05:29 PM
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Ron Asbaugh,

I’ve beat enough walls down to finally figure out its easier to go around them.

You hear a lot of talk from these boys about how rough old Rover is on a cold, full moon but you sure don’t see much evidence of it. We can all tree coon on bad nights. Some of us are smart enough to not have to.

Old Post 02-15-2020 01:50 AM
Larry Hall is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Hall Click here to Send Larry Hall a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Hall Find more posts by Larry Hall Add Larry Hall to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Larry

You already know that smart and coon hunter usually do not coexist in a sentence most folks would believe. It easy to pick nights to hunt that increases the chances for success. I just do not want the bad nights to be my excuses for failure. It's all about the dog, good nights or bad nights, stay thirsty my friends. Dave

Old Post 02-15-2020 02:00 AM
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Smarts and intelligence don't enter into the equation when we are dealing with ADDICTION!!

Old Post 02-15-2020 02:14 AM
ruttinbuck
UKC Forum Member

febuary

[QUOTE]Originally posted by thomasg
been treeing breeding pairs and taking long walks ,lol the boars will be above the female who will be facing down hill when you tree them dog knotted , [/QUOT

never seen that, your saying they knot up like canines ?

Old Post 02-15-2020 02:32 AM
ruttinbuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ruttinbuck Click here to Send ruttinbuck a Private Message Click Here to Email ruttinbuck Find more posts by ruttinbuck Add ruttinbuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Hall
UKC Forum Member

Ruttinbuck they sure enough do. That coon pecker is shaped the way it is for a reason lol.

Boar on top, sow on bottom. The downhill must be a WV thing. Don’t see it here in the flat country 😱

Old Post 02-15-2020 02:55 AM