UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Slick treeing?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
wvbushwacker
UKC Forum Member

Slick treeing?

I have a 5yr old male dog that was a coon treeing machine, very seldom missed one. I don’t hunt him real hard maybe 2 to 3 nights a week. But the last 10-12 times I’ve had him out he has been a slick treeing idiot. I know it gets a little harder sometimes in the dead of winter but I’ve seen this dog tree all kinds of coon in January and February before. I’m going to get him to the vet to get him checked out, but any ideas or suggestions on what to do or what it could be? Any advice is appreciated.

'PR' MachineGun Mac

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-08-2020 08:15 PM
wvbushwacker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wvbushwacker Click here to Send wvbushwacker a Private Message Click Here to Email wvbushwacker Find more posts by wvbushwacker Add wvbushwacker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Good ole boy explained to me that when your hound is acting different on tracks.... 90% of time it is conditions have changed. Many scenting conditions at play that we have no idea about. He said the dog is basically a machine that will usually operate to its potential.When the dog struggles... it is not because he forgot how to get it done, it is because conditions changed.

dk

Old Post 02-08-2020 08:27 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

If the dog has been a decent dog and has shown to be accurate when he trees a high percentage of the time, I'd get get his thyroid checked and tested for lymes disease. Also for ehrlicosis and anaplasmosis. All these will have adverse effects on hounds and can be deadly if left untreated.

Old Post 02-09-2020 02:09 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wvbushwacker
UKC Forum Member

Thank you both for the information.

'PR' MachineGun Mac

Old Post 02-09-2020 02:15 AM
wvbushwacker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wvbushwacker Click here to Send wvbushwacker a Private Message Click Here to Email wvbushwacker Find more posts by wvbushwacker Add wvbushwacker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
If the dog has been a decent dog and has shown to be accurate when he trees a high percentage of the time, I'd get get his thyroid checked and tested for lymes disease. Also for ehrlicosis and anaplasmosis. All these will have adverse effects on hounds and can be deadly if left untreated.
I would use the snap 4 dx plus for the tick testing . And get the tgaa home test kit from hemp pet for 25$ sent to my house to see if he i has antibodies destroying his thyroid gland .

Old Post 02-12-2020 05:11 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
I would use the snap 4 dx plus for the tick testing . And get the tgaa home test kit from hemp pet for 25$ sent to my house to see if he i has antibodies destroying his thyroid gland .

Old Post 02-12-2020 05:11 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote