UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Shotgun Hunting
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
KentuckyKid96
UKC Forum Member

Shotgun Hunting

Does anybody use a shotgun when hunting? What loads do you use? There's some public ground near me that requires shotguns and nothing larger than BB size shot. I've usually only hunted with a 22 rifle on private ground, I used some high brass #4s first time out and wasn't too impressed with the performance in the treetops.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-26-2020 03:33 PM
KentuckyKid96 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KentuckyKid96 Click here to Send KentuckyKid96 a Private Message Click Here to Email KentuckyKid96 Find more posts by KentuckyKid96 Add KentuckyKid96 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

What little I've used a shotgun, #4's worked fine. What choke are you using?

Old Post 11-27-2020 06:37 AM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KentuckyKid96
UKC Forum Member

Was using a regular full choke with 2.75" high brass game loads. Might try an extra full turkey choke with some heavier 3" loads if #4s is what people use. Thought about trying some of the goose loads I have, but figured the steel shot wouldn't work as well

Old Post 11-27-2020 01:00 PM
KentuckyKid96 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KentuckyKid96 Click here to Send KentuckyKid96 a Private Message Click Here to Email KentuckyKid96 Find more posts by KentuckyKid96 Add KentuckyKid96 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rick St.Clair
UKC Forum Member

Probably been done alot I'm sure for many years, guess I'm great full we can use 22 rifles. Bird shot just doesn't sound like a good humane method to me.

Old Post 11-27-2020 11:31 PM
Rick St.Clair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rick St.Clair Click here to Send Rick St.Clair a Private Message Click Here to Email Rick St.Clair Find more posts by Rick St.Clair Add Rick St.Clair to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KentuckyKid96
UKC Forum Member

I agree, a 22 rifle is by far the best method I have found. Unfortunately this is government property (fort knox for anybody wondering) where shotguns are the only firearms allowed. So, I figured I'd see what the best option was given the limitation.

Old Post 11-27-2020 11:45 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I had a friend who used to hunt coons with a 12 gauge. He said you would be surprised how many you could get to look with a shotgun. Some you'd get on the first shot before they looked

Old Post 11-28-2020 12:11 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Just don't shoot them there. Not like the hides are worth anything.

Old Post 11-28-2020 12:31 AM
houndsound is online now Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
I had a friend who used to hunt coons with a 12 gauge. He said you would be surprised how many you could get to look with a shotgun. Some you'd get on the first shot before they looked
This might be better than a thermal. Leaves don't bother it as much.

Old Post 11-28-2020 12:47 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joe Lueke
UKC Forum Member

I hunt Fort Knox about 4 nights a week. It’s only open during our kill season. Lead shot has went to high, and you can barely find 3’s or 4’s. The last few years, all I use 3” BB. However, make sure your choke tube is for Steel Shot, and use Modify only !!!! You won’t go back to lead !!!!

NtCh PKC Ch Pine Ridge Chico - RIP
502-303-7277

Old Post 11-28-2020 02:41 AM
Joe Lueke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joe Lueke Click here to Send Joe Lueke a Private Message Click Here to Email Joe Lueke Find more posts by Joe Lueke Add Joe Lueke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KentuckyKid96
UKC Forum Member

Thank you for the tip Joe! I will give the goose loads I have banging round the safe a shot next time I go. I have an extended range carlson's choke for duck hunting that I can slap in my 870. I thought the lighter steel wouldn't work as well as lead 4s, but I stand corrected

Old Post 11-28-2020 03:50 AM
Joe Lueke
UKC Forum Member

Here’s another very important tip. Make sure you pattern shoot you gun, with the Modify Choke, and the Duck Choke. Old piece of plywood works good. My Super Full Turkey choke, is completely different than a Modify choke. 1 shoots high, the other shoots low !! Sounds crazy I know, but I bet yours will too.

NtCh PKC Ch Pine Ridge Chico - RIP
502-303-7277

Old Post 11-29-2020 03:55 PM
Joe Lueke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joe Lueke Click here to Send Joe Lueke a Private Message Click Here to Email Joe Lueke Find more posts by Joe Lueke Add Joe Lueke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote