UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Line breeding to Big Country
Pages (5): « First ... « 3 4 [5]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

Lipper and rattler complimented each other I hunted with both. Rattler was louder and more impressive on the tree lipper was faster on the track but not a whole lot. You had a bunch of lipper dogs that hooo lollied all over the country all night long rattler put the brakes on them.

The best exzample I know of was the grntch Ned dog I owned he was out of nailor and rattlen Rita she was off rattler.

I don’t guess we will see those numbers unless I put them on here lol.

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-07-2020 03:04 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JesseJ
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Lipper and rattler complimented each other I hunted with both. Rattler was louder and more impressive on the tree lipper was faster on the track but not a whole lot. You had a bunch of lipper dogs that hooo lollied all over the country all night long rattler put the brakes on them.

The best exzample I know of was the grntch Ned dog I owned he was out of nailor and rattlen Rita she was off rattler.

I don’t guess we will see those numbers unless I put them on here lol.

Tar

I've read this several times,so Ned was out of half brother/ sister mating? JesseJ

Old Post 07-07-2020 04:11 PM
JesseJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JesseJ Click here to Send JesseJ a Private Message Click Here to Email JesseJ Find more posts by JesseJ Add JesseJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by JesseJ
I've read this several times,so Ned was out of half brother/ sister mating? JesseJ

Yes.

Tar

Old Post 07-07-2020 04:19 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Dave I gave an example on anouther thread of what a dogs Reproduction record per amount Of pups should look like ( if ) he is any kind of reproducer. I would just for history purposes like to see BC his Sire and grandsires reproduction performance ( current ) numbers. Then if I owe an appoligy I as always will give it on here.

Robert hitt

---------GR.NT.Ch. Double Springs Echo
------GR.NT.CH. Double Springs Echo II( HSB at UKC World hunt)
---------Caney Creek's Blue Amy
---GR.NT.CH. Double Springs Bodacious(HSB UKC world 2007
---------GR. NT. CH. GR. CH. Razor Ridge Pop A Top
------GR.NT.Ch. GR. CH. Razor Ridge Pop A Dot
---------GR.NT.CH. GR.CH.Frog Creek Chirper
CH GR.NT.CH. Goodson's Rowdy Bochephus
---------CH.GR.NT.CH.Slife’s Blue Rambo
------GR.NT.CH.GR.CH. Smiley’s Blue Rambo II
---------CH.GR.NT.CH. Smiley’s Misti Blue
---GR.NT.CH.CH. Davis’s White River Salin Sadie (HSB Female 2006&7)
---------NT.CH. Smokey River JBS Cheif
------GR.NT.CH.Davis’s White River Sugar(HSBF UKC world hunt 1999)
---------NT.CH.Nixons Wolf CR Pebbles

Bocephus 22 Nt Ch's, 15 Gr Nt's, total of 37 out of 408 Produced for a percentage of 9.07 as of April 29,2020 Top Currrent Reproducers list.

As of September 2018 when I got some UKC papers back:

----------Echo II 7.5%
-----Bodacious 9.06%
----------Dot 8.1%
Bochephus 9.07%
----------Rambo II 12.1%
-----Sadie 29%
----------Sugar 35.7%

You can look at Bodacious if you want but look at the bottom side, Sadie, Rambo II, and Sugar. Then study the bottom side of Big Country's pedigree and see how it was line bred on the cross that produced Rambo II. Big Country was bred to be a winner and also produce winners. The cross that the original poster had the pedigree of isn't really line breeding on Big Country, it's line breeding on the stuff that produced Big Country. Things like that will work until it won't work anymore and then it needs new blood infused, but it is still working and producing some of the top blue dogs so if it isn't broke don't fix it.

Old Post 07-07-2020 05:33 PM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by ov_blues
---------GR.NT.Ch. Double Springs Echo
------GR.NT.CH. Double Springs Echo II( HSB at UKC World hunt)
---------Caney Creek's Blue Amy
---GR.NT.CH. Double Springs Bodacious(HSB UKC world 2007
---------GR. NT. CH. GR. CH. Razor Ridge Pop A Top
------GR.NT.Ch. GR. CH. Razor Ridge Pop A Dot
---------GR.NT.CH. GR.CH.Frog Creek Chirper
CH GR.NT.CH. Goodson's Rowdy Bochephus
---------CH.GR.NT.CH.Slife’s Blue Rambo
------GR.NT.CH.GR.CH. Smiley’s Blue Rambo II
---------CH.GR.NT.CH. Smiley’s Misti Blue
---GR.NT.CH.CH. Davis’s White River Salin Sadie (HSB Female 2006&7)
---------NT.CH. Smokey River JBS Cheif
------GR.NT.CH.Davis’s White River Sugar(HSBF UKC world hunt 1999)
---------NT.CH.Nixons Wolf CR Pebbles

Bocephus 22 Nt Ch's, 15 Gr Nt's, total of 37 out of 408 Produced for a percentage of 9.07 as of April 29,2020 Top Currrent Reproducers list.

As of September 2018 when I got some UKC papers back:

----------Echo II 7.5%
-----Bodacious 9.06%
----------Dot 8.1%
Bochephus 9.07%
----------Rambo II 12.1%
-----Sadie 29%
----------Sugar 35.7%

You can look at Bodacious if you want but look at the bottom side, Sadie, Rambo II, and Sugar. Then study the bottom side of Big Country's pedigree and see how it was line bred on the cross that produced Rambo II. Big Country was bred to be a winner and also produce winners. The cross that the original poster had the pedigree of isn't really line breeding on Big Country, it's line breeding on the stuff that produced Big Country. Things like that will work until it won't work anymore and then it needs new blood infused, but it is still working and producing some of the top blue dogs so if it isn't broke don't fix it.

Thank you sir that’s the facts that’s what breeders base their decisions on. Good luck to all involved.

Tar

Old Post 07-07-2020 05:49 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

John Smith

Thank you Sir. for taking the time to post this information. While I personally do not judge solely on Night Hunt results, it does show that they can compete and win against all breeds. I suspect a lot of the pups produced by these dogs went to pleasure hunters and were never put in competition hunt, just like any line of dogs not all pups are competition hunted. Those percentages look impressive for any breed , you are correct indeed by saying BC was bred to be a winner and a producer, just like the other dogs in that pedigree. I hunted a TOP Bluetick in my younger days that made good dogs look bad, he won more night hunts with high scoring dog of the hunt than any dog I know. He was a TOP competition and a top hide producer. I would sure like to own another one as good as he was. Dave

Old Post 07-07-2020 08:31 PM
Dave Richards is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

That is just the top side of Big Country's pedigree. The bottom side is just as loaded with winners, both in UKC and PKC. The neat thing on the cross that produced Big Country is the way that they lined the genetics up from the sire and dam. It really wasn't line bred on a particular dog but they used top dogs that came from similar genetics and top crosses, as in siblings from top crosses. If you study it out it combined Rambo II and Smokey River blood that were bred with old Uchtman dogs back in them. Not giving all the credit to the Uchtman blood but when it was infused in other "lines" as in by other people besides the Uchtmans the dogs were winners when things lined up. Then those top dogs were used to bring us to the present dog that is being noticed, Big Country. The Uncle/niece cross originally posted could produce the next Big Country. It could also produce average. One thing I've noticed over the years of breeding is that eventually continual line breeding will breed back to the normal or average and the "freaks" just don't seem to pop out without making an outcross or breeding to something of similar blood but more distant to get back to the roots thru a different branch.

Old Post 07-07-2020 08:59 PM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

John Smith

John, I think some of the X Crosses BC X Top walker females will produce some "freaks" we are all looking for. Reminds me of my younger days when coon hunters crossed coon dogs regardless of breed. I have seen some really good dogs Bluetick x Walkers in my days, even some nice Bluetick x Redbone crosses. UKC X Breed program gives the crossbreeds an opportunity to competition hunt, something we did not have back in the day. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 07-08-2020 at 01:58 AM

Old Post 07-08-2020 01:43 AM
Dave Richards is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

Dave I completely agree. I also think some X bred crosses will improve the health of some lines of hounds. I am seriously considering crossing onto an English bluetick if I ever get the right kind of bluetick female again. Might happen if I can get motivated to hunt hard again or maybe it’s the other way around and I haven’t found the right one to motivate me to hunt her hard. Lol. Once you have hunted above average hounds it’s hard to hunt average and the more above average hounds you’ve hunted the criteria for what you consider above average increases making it harder and harder to be satisfied with a hound.

Old Post 07-08-2020 03:33 AM
Ringo08
UKC Forum Member

Just to throw my .02 cents in. Big Country is nice. Real nice. There’s no denying that. But the real hype surrounding him is that he’s that nice AND a bluetick. If he was colored like a walker dog, he would just be another really nice walker dog. Hype wouldn’t be near what it is.

Nitech Ch 'PR' Cornell's Hardwood Hurricane HTX

GrSqch 2017 Arklahoma Winter Classic Champion
The Outlaw Dottie

Old Post 07-08-2020 03:34 AM
Ringo08 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ringo08 Click here to Send Ringo08 a Private Message Find more posts by Ringo08 Add Ringo08 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tyler

You may just be right, but it does not really matter that BC is getting all this attention just because he is a Bluetick, bottom line he is a COON DOG and deserves the attention. We hunters sometimes get fixed on a certain breed as being the only coon dogs, when the TRUTH is there are some TOP COON DOGS in several breeds. I love a TOP coon dog regardless of breed and I am seeing some really good Blue dogs and English dogs winning some big hunts in recent years and placing high in others. That tells me we are making progress with other breeds and that the Walker dogs are not dominating the hunts like they used to do. Competition is good it makes you work harder to achieve being the top dog or breed. It's good for the sport and it's good for the breeds. I hope the XBreeds become a factor in the competition world, they have done well in the hide hunters hands. Breed jealously has been a handicap to the coon hunting community, it's way over due to put all this jealousness to rest and focus on producing the best coon dogs possible. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 07-08-2020 at 04:55 AM

Old Post 07-08-2020 04:37 AM
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ringo08
Just to throw my .02 cents in. Big Country is nice. Real nice. There’s no denying that. But the real hype surrounding him is that he’s that nice AND a bluetick. If he was colored like a walker dog, he would just be another really nice walker dog. Hype wouldn’t be near what it is.

He is getting top notch walker females brought to him Dispite the fact that he is a bluetick. That tells me that if he was a walker he would have even more walker females brought to him. They aren’t bringing those females to him because of hype, they are bringing them to him because of what they have either seen or heard from reliable sources. I don’t think it can be hype in any form of fashion based on what he has proven in the woods and if anything he has been under promoted.

I had Mr Blue here at my house. Mr Blue was a full brother to Bocephus. When Big Country was in Indiana and being hunted a lot there was a lot of interest in breeding to him but they didn’t want to live breed him at the time. I got a call from Donnie, if I remember right. A and he asked me if I cared if they referred people to me to breed to Mr. Blue if someone wanted to breed their female to get some of that bloodline since Bocephus was in Alabama and their wasn’t many dogs from that bloodline up north at that time. Big Country was definitely not promoted and hyped up as a stud dog in my opinion.

Old Post 07-08-2020 04:53 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

John Smith

You got that right, folks would be standing in line if he was a Walker Dog, and plenty will breed to him regardless of color. He was not purchased as a Stud dog, he was purchased as a Coon dog and that he is. I am getting old and may never see the day, but I hope that one day We all can give credit to a COON DOG regardless of breed, stop stereotyping all dogs of a certain breed and work together to produce exceptional coon dogs. Dave

Old Post 07-08-2020 05:07 AM
Ringo08
UKC Forum Member

Re: Tyler

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
You may just be right, but it does not really matter that BC is getting all this attention just because he is a Bluetick, bottom line he is a COON DOG and deserves the attention. We hunters sometimes get fixed on a certain breed as being the only coon dogs, when the TRUTH is there are some TOP COON DOGS in several breeds. I love a TOP coon dog regardless of breed and I am seeing some really good Blue dogs and English dogs winning some big hunts in recent years and placing high in others. That tells me we are making progress with other breeds and that the Walker dogs are not dominating the hunts like they used to do. Competition is good it makes you work harder to achieve being the top dog or breed. It's good for the sport and it's good for the breeds. I hope the XBreeds become a factor in the competition world, they have done well in the hide hunters hands. Breed jealously has been a handicap to the coon hunting community, it's way over due to put all this jealousness to rest and focus on producing the best coon dogs possible. Dave

I have no jealous ness at all towards BC or anyone that breeds to him or hunts a pup out of him. I’ve hunted with him and he is a dang nice hound. I would hunt him, one out of him no questions asked, and would be proud to own him or one just like him. But I’ve seen just as nice or better walker dogs. Not to take anything from him because he really is a coon dog. Period. Regardless of breed, color, sex, or anything. What I’m saying is I think since he is a blue dog he has more of a wow factor. If he was a walker, it wouldnt be as exciting. You seen walkers in his caliber more often than any other breed. But since he is a blue dog, it’s a rarity, or should I say less common and more exciting.

Nitech Ch 'PR' Cornell's Hardwood Hurricane HTX

GrSqch 2017 Arklahoma Winter Classic Champion
The Outlaw Dottie

Last edited by Ringo08 on 07-08-2020 at 05:12 AM

Old Post 07-08-2020 05:07 AM
Ringo08 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ringo08 Click here to Send Ringo08 a Private Message Find more posts by Ringo08 Add Ringo08 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tyler

I agree, it is not as common in other breeds as the Walker Breed. I think the other breeds are improving and it's showing, the Walkers are not as dominant as they used to be. Contentment can be the downfall of any breed, it's when you are not content and are constantly wanting better that gets you better dogs. Dave

Old Post 07-08-2020 05:59 AM
DOGSSTRICK
UKC Forum Member

Man yall way ahead and way smarter then me.Hell all this hurts my head.I don't know how hes gonna reproduce in the long run but I do know ive looked at 6 that I cant buy for 20k.Im not saying they are worth that either but after hunting with them and seeing them tree coon after coon after coon then I was a willing buyer(or me and Ashley were per say)I have read this entire post and a few things I agree with and others I sit back and laugh at.He did have one get in the sstakes this year and that was country boy I don't know of any others that were entered,boy got a real bad break and it beat him on Friday but that's how its rolls,He did have one in the final three of the fall sstakes that was country club.He is a pretty **** good tree dog and he don't tree loosely off the tree I don't know where the heck that came from he plants himself on one side and pretty much stays there he does bawl and chop according to the weather I personally like him bawling more then chopping because its a deep rumble and sounds good to me and yes I have owned some of the best tree dogs ever lived as a matter of fact the TEN female we own now is as good as Ive ever heard but I still love BC s big Bawl.He don't leave trees although he left one at the chkc world I don't know why I wasn't hunting him then again scorecard can look a lot different then reality.I can PROMISE you one thing if he left trees with me I wouldn't spend my hard earned money on 2500,4000,and 6500 dollar entry fees Id be packing something that didn't.I been doing this since I was 9 yrs old and have seen good ones and bads ones but at this point in my life I typically don't pay big entry fees on bad or common ones.I know for a fact hes already reproduced a few because ive seen em.Go up and take the VERY best you own regardless of color and hunt with steve burkholder and that female hes packing off of him,He will hurt your feelings or he did mine at least .John

Last edited by DOGSSTRICK on 07-15-2020 at 06:34 PM

Old Post 07-15-2020 06:27 PM
DOGSSTRICK is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DOGSSTRICK Click here to Send DOGSSTRICK a Private Message Click Here to Email DOGSSTRICK Find more posts by DOGSSTRICK Add DOGSSTRICK to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

John Strickland

Loved your post, you told it like it is, no BS or sugar coating anything. Jealously is a cancer it eats at folks and blinds some as to what is what. Folks that actually know you and what you hunt, respect WHAT you have to say about any dog. I can only speak for myself, but if I was younger I would be hunting a dog out of BC, either full Bluetick or a Walker X breed. I think time will prove that he do his part when bred to the right females, it already has. Good luck to you and BC, not that he needs any luck, a coon dog does not rely on luck. Dave

Old Post 07-15-2020 08:22 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DOGSSTRICK
Man yall way ahead and way smarter then me.Hell all this hurts my head.I don't know how hes gonna reproduce in the long run but I do know ive looked at 6 that I cant buy for 20k.Im not saying they are worth that either but after hunting with them and seeing them tree coon after coon after coon then I was a willing buyer(or me and Ashley were per say)I have read this entire post and a few things I agree with and others I sit back and laugh at.He did have one get in the sstakes this year and that was country boy I don't know of any others that were entered,boy got a real bad break and it beat him on Friday but that's how its rolls,He did have one in the final three of the fall sstakes that was country club.He is a pretty **** good tree dog and he don't tree loosely off the tree I don't know where the heck that came from he plants himself on one side and pretty much stays there he does bawl and chop according to the weather I personally like him bawling more then chopping because its a deep rumble and sounds good to me and yes I have owned some of the best tree dogs ever lived as a matter of fact the TEN female we own now is as good as Ive ever heard but I still love BC s big Bawl.He don't leave trees although he left one at the chkc world I don't know why I wasn't hunting him then again scorecard can look a lot different then reality.I can PROMISE you one thing if he left trees with me I wouldn't spend my hard earned money on 2500,4000,and 6500 dollar entry fees Id be packing something that didn't.I been doing this since I was 9 yrs old and have seen good ones and bads ones but at this point in my life I typically don't pay big entry fees on bad or common ones.I know for a fact hes already reproduced a few because ive seen em.Go up and take the VERY best you own regardless of color and hunt with steve burkholder and that female hes packing off of him,He will hurt your feelings or he did mine at least .John
This should put an end to this thread.

Old Post 07-16-2020 02:32 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc

Yep...I liked what DOGSTRICK SAID TOO...

Old Post 07-16-2020 02:35 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc

Ball always told me if you got a stud dog don’t matter what their saying just as long as they are talking. They quit talking your dog is not getting bred. He made a fortune on the dogs and half of them were not the High quality of big country.

Tar

Old Post 07-16-2020 02:38 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

BIG COUNTRY

Does anyone really think BC was bought just to be a Stud Dog? Lol. Do you think those big entry fees that Johns paying to hunt him is all about a Stud Dog? Now he may turn out to be a prominent Stud Dog, but he was bought to competition hunt and pleasure hunt and he was a bargain. Dave

Old Post 07-16-2020 03:03 AM