UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Males vs Females
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ringo08
UKC Forum Member

Males vs Females

I’m sure this has been debated on here over and over. But me and a buddy were talking the other day, and I’m just curious what everyone else’s opinion is on hunting males vs females. Which typically finishes to the better dog, starts easier, etc.

Like to hear others thoughts on the subject.

Nitech Ch 'PR' Cornell's Hardwood Hurricane HTX

GrSqch 2017 Arklahoma Winter Classic Champion
The Outlaw Dottie

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-11-2020 02:36 AM
Ringo08 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ringo08 Click here to Send Ringo08 a Private Message Find more posts by Ringo08 Add Ringo08 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark V.
UKC Forum Member

From a very young age I have always liked females !

Old Post 06-11-2020 03:07 AM
Mark V. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark V. Click here to Send Mark V. a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark V. Find more posts by Mark V. Add Mark V. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

Female

In my experience females are usually a little more calm and played back compared to a male dog. So they're usually a little easier to handle, dont get me wrong I've had a couple female's that were just as high strong as a male but very few. Females also seem a little more eager to please.

Old Post 06-11-2020 05:03 AM
Ridgerunner1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ridgerunner1988 Click here to Send Ridgerunner1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ridgerunner1988 Add Ridgerunner1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

females

I've always preferred hunting females because they have no issues, if you are hunting with strange males, whether it be pleasure or competition. No peein on the weeds when you turn loose or aggresion at trees. But you do have heat cycles to contend with once or twice a year. Also, I can breed a good female to the stud dog of MY choice to raise a litter out of. Take care, Ron.

Old Post 06-11-2020 06:10 AM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog2345
UKC Forum Member

Females only come in twice a year .ales are in 365 days a year

Old Post 06-11-2020 08:49 AM
treedog2345 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog2345 Click here to Send treedog2345 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog2345 Add treedog2345 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

I've almost always had better results starting male dogs. However, my females finished stronger and lasted longer. Needless to say, I'm a female guy.

Old Post 06-11-2020 01:15 PM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I perfer females but have had some nice males. If I had to deal with a male acting like it's in heat year around I sure wouldn't breed it and get pups that act that way.

Old Post 06-11-2020 01:52 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I like females but there can be frustrations with their heat cycles. Lot of disruptions to plans. I think it is even more of an issue today as their heat cycles overall don't seem to be as regular as they once were. As far as the finished quality of a male or female. Thats a personal thing and varies from owner to owner.

I know I have spent a lot of money on female dogs trying to schedule and plan for them to be at a certain hunt at a certain time. Then having a heat cycle put a hold on everything.

Had one a few years ago being hunted by a friend in KY. He was getting her ready for a large hunt. Day he is fixing to load her up and head that way. He calls and says she is starting in heat. Our first thought is we were not going to enter her and have her perhaps affect anyones male dog that they paid entry fees on and also had big dreams about. I sent a do hauler to get her and bring her back down here as I wanted to breed her to a male that me and another guy owned together. Dog hauler traveled 12 hours and hauled her to my buddies house 3 house south of me. Well when she got there she was coming in but not accepting the male, which was normal for being early in the cycle. But instead of coming in she completely went out of heat. So the next week I drove 3 hours down there to bring her home. I had her home a week and she came back in heat again. Lot of traveling and frustration for nothing.

Also just a couple years ago. I had a female being hunted by a friend in a northern state. He was successful in the hunts with her and won a spot for a truck hunt. I got her back down here about a month before the hunt. Had her in shape, made the reservations for travel, paid the entry. Bingo, she comes in heat a week before the hunt. So another failed attempt due to heat cycles. I know this story has been repeated over and over again all across this country. Just part of it. I love a good female hound for what they can bring to a breeding program. But I don't have one of those. I had a hunt program that heat cycles seem to mess up.

Old Post 06-11-2020 02:26 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KYHoundDawg
UKC Forum Member

Both are frustrating in their own ways haha! One thing I like about a male over a female, that hasn't been said and may just be my own bias, is I don't worry much when a male dog has to tree for a good while, (obviously depends on tree style), but I get anxious leaving a female treed 45 minutes to an hour.

PR B&B Docs Buzzed Again

Past Hounds
PR Horsefly Hollow Pepper, passed with a 1st and HTX pass
GRCH NITCH PR Allens Nationwide Suckerpunch HTX
GrCH2 NITCH PR Brockman's Remington Clover HTX

GRCH GRNITCH PKC SCH PR Brockman’s Blue Buzz HTX (semen available)
BBOA
502-417-2086

Old Post 06-11-2020 03:12 PM
KYHoundDawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KYHoundDawg Click here to Send KYHoundDawg a Private Message Click Here to Email KYHoundDawg Find more posts by KYHoundDawg Add KYHoundDawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AKE
UKC Forum Member

I'm in the same dilemma now. Have to go pick up a new pup in a couple weeks don't know if I want a male or female. It does appear males win most of the big hunts. Although a good female has its value in raising pups as well. Also if you were trying to keep bloodlines you would rather want a female. like somebody else said it's easier to go get your female bred than find a female to breed your male if you don't have one.

Old Post 06-11-2020 07:36 PM
AKE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AKE Click here to Send AKE a Private Message Find more posts by AKE Add AKE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We like our females and since I have pups for sale right now and almost everyone wants a female, I have to believe most people like starting females.

Old Post 06-11-2020 09:01 PM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

I remember and I think older hunters would agree, you could hardly give a female pup away. I guess everyone was looking for the next stud dog, I have been blessed I have owned both,

Old Post 06-11-2020 10:28 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
randywoodard2
UKC Forum Member

Ive had better luck with male pups turning out

Pr.Woodards Late Night Trix

Old Post 06-11-2020 11:45 PM
randywoodard2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for randywoodard2 Click here to Send randywoodard2 a Private Message Click Here to Email randywoodard2 Find more posts by randywoodard2 Add randywoodard2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I’ve had really good ones in both....but I like males for the size and strength on account I like my dogs physically stop a good sized boar...that is the goal

Old Post 06-12-2020 03:04 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coby Wright
UKC Forum Member

I prefer females although I hunt males also. About 80% of the dogs I've owned long term were females.

My main dog right now is a Male but I have a younger female I have big plans for.

The main reason I prefer females is they just seem to be more about business. They don't need to smell every dog's butt in the cast and then pee on 3 or 4 trees before going hunting. They also seem to be a little more level headed. Also a mean Male dog will usually leave females alone at the tree so that's less to worry about.

Now, females have issues also. Mostly heat cycles. Man they can sure mess up some plans. My little female now comes in a month earlier than expected based on her birthday and thus will never be able to hunt in the Super Stakes or PKC World Hunt because she will be in heat. Also some females will act funny before and after heat cycles which can take away more time with them in the woods.

The number one reason I like females better has already been said, it's hard to find pups out of a nice female and a stud dog you like. My little female is a grand daughter to a stud dog we owned over 10 years ago. I can now keep the blood line going and take it in whatever direction I want.

At Stud: Gr. Nt. Ch. Wright's Stylish Lotto Bawls (click here to see ad)

Former Home of Gr. Nt. Ch. Bawling Rebel.

Old Post 06-12-2020 02:58 PM
Coby Wright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coby Wright Click here to Send Coby Wright a Private Message Visit Coby Wright's homepage! Find more posts by Coby Wright Add Coby Wright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Coby Wright...

As you mentioned females are strictly business and can sure get it done...

Even in the human world...women in general get to there office and go to work while men get a few cups of coffee and talk about hunting or fishing before getting started...😁

Old Post 06-12-2020 04:52 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Imho, females mature faster than males. I've had better luck with females being healthier. I've had some decent male dogs, but I prefer females.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 06-15-2020 03:27 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RedCreek Hunter
UKC Forum Member

Dogs vs gyps

In 30+ yrs I’ve found In my experience that the males don’t hold a candle to the females on average. Gyps start easier with far less issues on average. My experience, I’ve had to cull 10 males dogs for every 1 gyp is probably an accurate statement. However the exception to the rule I’ve seen is when that one Exceptional male comes along, Most females can’t touch him. I’m not talking about common dogs. I’m talking real dogs. It’s been several years but I’m high on a male pup again. I have a semen pup sired by the old Moffets WC Deamon Dog that I turned loose on the farm. He has pretty much done it on his own. Started running fast game at just under four months old and has started treeing live raccoons in the last couple weeks. He’s a baby and won’t be 6 months old until 6/20/20. Very,Very Impressive male pup. But like I said upon average, I’ve had far greater success overall with gyps.

Last edited by RedCreek Hunter on 06-17-2020 at 05:30 PM

Old Post 06-17-2020 05:28 PM
RedCreek Hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RedCreek Hunter Click here to Send RedCreek Hunter a Private Message Find more posts by RedCreek Hunter Add RedCreek Hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rester
UKC Forum Member

Red creek hunter you are correct n my opinioun. Best coon treer ever owned female. Cut it or climb it. Was fortunate enough to able to own one that were ever I went no matter the conditions always had a coon of course this was n the mid eighties. When hounds run a track before they treed of course. Sounds like u have bingo on ya extremely young pup doing so well. A deamon pup of 40 years down the road WOW! Bet you are excited. Hopefully I will get lucky as you

Old Post 06-17-2020 08:00 PM
Rester is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rester Click here to Send Rester a Private Message Find more posts by Rester Add Rester to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I have had good males and good females. Some pups start earlier than others and some dogs turn out better than others. I don't think that sex matters except that you can't hunt a female while she is in heat. It might knock you out of a big hunt occasionally.

Old Post 06-17-2020 09:41 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ringo08
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dogs vs gyps

quote:
Originally posted by RedCreek Hunter
In 30+ yrs I’ve found In my experience that the males don’t hold a candle to the females on average. Gyps start easier with far less issues on average. My experience, I’ve had to cull 10 males dogs for every 1 gyp is probably an accurate statement. However the exception to the rule I’ve seen is when that one Exceptional male comes along, Most females can’t touch him. I’m not talking about common dogs. I’m talking real dogs

I'd say this is about as spot on as it can get. My opinion on the subject as well.

Nitech Ch 'PR' Cornell's Hardwood Hurricane HTX

GrSqch 2017 Arklahoma Winter Classic Champion
The Outlaw Dottie

Old Post 06-17-2020 10:12 PM
Ringo08 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ringo08 Click here to Send Ringo08 a Private Message Find more posts by Ringo08 Add Ringo08 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote