UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > mean dog
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Johnny reb

Now there you go being logical, you know some folks just can not grasp logic, they live in a black and white world where things are either one way or the other. They can not grasp the idea of things being a number of different ways, to them it's one of two ways only. You are wasting your time and reasoning when you try to be logical with folks that do not know what logic is. We both have presented the question without getting an answer, would any man just stand there and let another man beat on Him or would he fight back? Some posters on this thread have inferred that a dog that fights back is mean and or a fighter, with that kind of reasoning most men are mean, as most men will definitely fight back. I refuse to let someone hit on me without fighting back, yet I will never start a fight and will do everything I can to avoid a fight, just do not hit on me. I also, refuse to let that define me as a mean man, I am NOT a mean man. I owned one of the most peaceful dogs I have ever seen, dogs could jump and crawl all over him at a tree or anywhere and not a growl, but if a mean dog took hold of him he would fight back, I refuse any notion that he was mean or a fighter, that's nonsense. Dave

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-12-2020 11:36 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Melblank
UKC Forum Member

Sorry guys we know if we have a mean dog. I have one and I know it. I don’t hunt him with anything else. He is one hell of a dog but I won’t do the injustice of hurting another dog. Honesty is the best policy.

Old Post 06-13-2020 02:01 AM
Melblank is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Melblank Click here to Send Melblank a Private Message Find more posts by Melblank Add Melblank to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Melblank

You got that right, everyone knows if their dog is actually mean and should never hunt a mean dog with anyone else's dog. Everything is not just black and white, meaning a peaceful dog can be provoked to fight by a mean dog. Most dogs like most men do not want to fight, but even the most peaceful dogs and men can be pushed into a fight. There is a BIG BIG difference in defending ones self than being a trouble maker looking for a fight, and if folks really don't know the difference, it's pretty sad. Dave

Old Post 06-13-2020 02:28 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

It would be real interesting to know how often these dogs are defending themselves throughout the year?

There are no doubt instances when a good dog gets involved in things he didn’t necessarily intend to. But those times are rare in my experience. Most of the time the men that have dogs that “defend” themselves have witnessed this defense more times than is acceptable to consider it a defensive behavior.

I have a few family members that never make bad decisions or are never in the wrong but trouble seems to just follow them around!

Old Post 06-13-2020 03:16 AM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost14
It would be real interesting to know how often these dogs are defending themselves throughout the year?

There are no doubt instances when a good dog gets involved in things he didn’t necessarily intend to. But those times are rare in my experience. Most of the time the men that have dogs that “defend” themselves have witnessed this defense more times than is acceptable to consider it a defensive behavior.

I have a few family members that never make bad decisions or are never in the wrong but trouble seems to just follow them around!

I have like that...I don’t hunt him much and he won’t be bred...he is a good dog and a very good looking powerful dog...he will be replaced as soon as a pup is mature enough to take his place...

Old Post 06-13-2020 04:24 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Ghost14

Now that's a different story, a peaceful dog just like a peaceful man should rarely be in a fight. If a fight happened often with a man or dog, calling them peaceful would be a real stretch. A man or dog having to fight on a regular basis is the aggressor not the one defending himself. A man knows if he is the aggressor and he also know if his dog is aggressive, but lumping every dog and every man that defends themselves the rare times it's needed and calling them mean is absurd. I have not been in a fight in 40 years, but I have not needed to defend myself or I would. I have not seen or heard a dog fight in many years, but I still would want my dog to fight back if a mean dog jumped on Him or Her. Most of this talk about mean dogs is directed at those who knowingly hunt a mean or aggressive dog without regard for their fellow hunters dogs. Dave

Old Post 06-13-2020 04:35 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Good post Dave...

What Ghost14 described is that of a mean dog in my opinion...

Old Post 06-13-2020 05:08 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

???

Would it be fair if a dog gets scratched for fighting he gets one strike the owner/handler also gets a strike after three strikes the dog is barred for life and the owner/handler for one year for the first offence no UKC events on second offence{different dog} five years third offence for good ?

Old Post 06-13-2020 02:50 PM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: ???

quote:
Originally posted by 100%hunter
Would it be fair if a dog gets scratched for fighting he gets one strike the owner/handler also gets a strike after three strikes the dog is barred for life and the owner/handler for one year for the first offence no UKC events on second offence{different dog} five years third offence for good ?

I don’t know the right answer but sound logic and the right rule will minimize this issue...

I’ve had really good dogs that had plenty of grit towards the game they were trained to hunt yet didn’t have temperament issues...

Old Post 06-13-2020 03:02 PM
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

Re: Johnny reb

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Now there you go being logical, you know some folks just can not grasp logic, they live in a black and white world where things are either one way or the other. They can not grasp the idea of things being a number of different ways, to them it's one of two ways only. You are wasting your time and reasoning when you try to be logical with folks that do not know what logic is. We both have presented the question without getting an answer, would any man just stand there and let another man beat on Him or would he fight back? Some posters on this thread have inferred that a dog that fights back is mean and or a fighter, with that kind of reasoning most men are mean, as most men will definitely fight back. I refuse to let someone hit on me without fighting back, yet I will never start a fight and will do everything I can to avoid a fight, just do not hit on me. I also, refuse to let that define me as a mean man, I am NOT a mean man. I owned one of the most peaceful dogs I have ever seen, dogs could jump and crawl all over him at a tree or anywhere and not a growl, but if a mean dog took hold of him he would fight back, I refuse any notion that he was mean or a fighter, that's nonsense. Dave

Attributing human emotions and ability to reason like a human to animals is what the hsus and other animal rights groups hang their hats on. Animals do not comprehend defense within their species, they comprehend DOMINANCE. All fighting between dogs is rooted in dominance, period. If you do not break up a dogfight it will end with a dominator and a submissor.

Last edited by Stan Ferrell on 06-13-2020 at 05:18 PM

Old Post 06-13-2020 05:07 PM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I like all my dogs to be dominant yet I want them to get along with each other... I must be careful how I manage my dogs at feeding time...I am careful on how I turn out males and females...

I don’t leave a bone out in the yard or there will be a fight if I don’t read the signs quickly...

If a female is in heat I turn out males one at a time or I watch them closely...
For many years I let pups fight it out to establish dominance and pecking order...I stopped doing that and just recently feed all pups I keep in one big pan and I make sure they learn to eat without showing any signs of taking control of the bowl of food...

Old Post 06-13-2020 06:36 PM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Once again well said said mr stan Ferrell

Old Post 06-13-2020 11:21 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Stan

I agree that equating human emotions to animals is not an accurate measure, logic was implied to be for the humans posting on this thread. I absolutely do not agree with your thoughts that a dog fighting back when attached by another dog is merely exhibiting dominance. The idea that all dogs have the wolf pack mentality is just as wrong as ascribing human emotions to animals. Your idea of everything being black or white, right or wrong, does little to substantiate the fact that every dog that fights back is aggressive. Dominance plays a role in the true aggressor, they want to dominate every dog, but a dog fighting back does not mean they want to dominate every dog. There are some men that think they can domin. ate every male they come across until they meet their match, the same thing with an aggressive dog, they start fights, they want to dominate , not so with most dogs. You were asked the question regarding your reaction to a man hitting on you, would you fight back to protect yourself or would you fight back to be dominant? Logic! I am done with this subject matter, you think what you like and I will think as I like, we both may be wrong, who knows? Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 06-14-2020 at 03:30 AM

Old Post 06-14-2020 03:15 AM
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

Re: Stan

quote:
I agree that equating human emotions to animals is not an accurate measure, logic was implied to be for the humans posting on this thread. I absolutely do not agree with your thoughts that a dog fighting back when attached by another dog is merely exhibiting dominance. The idea that all dogs have the wolf pack mentality is just as wrong as ascribing human emotions to animals. Your idea of everything being black or white, right or wrong, does little to substantiate the fact that every dog that fights back is aggressive. Dominance plays a role in the true aggressor, they want to dominate every dog, but a dog fighting back does not mean they want to dominate every dog. There are some men that think they can domin. ate every male they come across until they meet their match, the same thing with an aggressive dog, they start fights, they want to dominate , not so with most dogs. You were asked the question regarding your reaction to a man hitting on you, would you fight back to protect yourself or would you fight back to be dominant? Logic! I am done with this subject matter, you think what you like and I will think as I like, we both may be wrong, who knows? Dave
Why do you keep equating humans actions and emotions to hounds? Hounds fighting at the tree are more interested in dominance than the game in the tree. period. No hound worth his salt would take his eye off of the game to bite another hound. This whole defending himself thing is a big crock of $hit and is purveyed by people who hunt rough hounds. That is your choice, fine, just don't sugar coat it.
And about a man hitting on me, well since I aint afraid of no man and very few women, I'd try this logic of yours on him. If that don't work Id probably pound knots in his head.

Old Post 06-14-2020 04:34 AM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Stan

Hmmmmmm, you must be aggressive, pound knots in his head. Lol. THATS exactly what most men would do. I do not own or never would own and hunt a mean dog just to be clear on that subject. How do you wish to describe animals? It's hard for man to describe any animal without using human language and human emotions, even though you may try, you still use your human thoughts to process how you THINK animals behave and react. I do not think you are going to change your thought process, nor am I, so we are just beating a dead horse. You think you are right, I think I am right, neither of us own or hunt mean dogs, so why do either of us care about mean dogs. Opinions are just like backsides, we ALL have one. Lol. Dave

Old Post 06-14-2020 05:13 AM
Pat Miltons
UKC Forum Member

Thought

I have a little Plott female that is the most gentle loving obedient eager to please hound I've ever owned. That said...I had her get into a porcupine 2 years ago, when it came time for me to pull them out she would have like to eat me alive! It wasn't because she was aggressive or dominant. It was because she was in pain and her natural instincts to try and protect herself from more pain. I'm not a competition hunter and maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges but I just wanted to share that thought.

Old Post 06-14-2020 06:20 PM
Pat Miltons is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Miltons Click here to Send Pat Miltons a Private Message Click Here to Email Pat Miltons Find more posts by Pat Miltons Add Pat Miltons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Pat

That's exactly what she was doing! Animals feel pain and that's a proven fact, for anyone to suggest different is absurd. Dave

Old Post 06-14-2020 08:42 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Hmmmmmm, you must be aggressive, pound knots in his head. Lol. THATS exactly what most men would do. I do not own or never would own and hunt a mean dog just to be clear on that subject. How do you wish to describe animals? It's hard for man to describe any animal without using human language and human emotions, even though you may try, you still use your human thoughts to process how you THINK animals behave and react. I do not think you are going to change your thought process, nor am I, so we are just beating a dead horse. You think you are right, I think I am right, neither of us own or hunt mean dogs, so why do either of us care about mean dogs. Opinions are just like backsides, we ALL have one. Lol. Dave

See what I was saying now Dave. Black & white and no grey.

Not every hound that's involved in a fight, scrap, or scuffle is mean. I can show anyone a few "MEAN" dogs go. I don't even need to take you hunting to show you a couple. I bet you don't make it 10 ft out of your truck before you get chewed up. Sometimes it has to do with proper socialization as pups and young dogs. When a bird dog is aggressive around people and other dogs that's the #1 reason why they have a "mean streak".

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 06-14-2020 09:56 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Eric DePue

You got that right. Dave

Old Post 06-15-2020 12:36 AM
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

Every animal has the flite or fight reaction. Pats dog can not get away, your dog could back up two babysteps and the fight would be over. get it? Nah, you don't.

Old Post 06-15-2020 02:11 AM
Melblank
UKC Forum Member

If you get in more than a couple of fights in a dogs life you are probably the problem.

Old Post 06-15-2020 02:26 AM
Melblank is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Melblank Click here to Send Melblank a Private Message Find more posts by Melblank Add Melblank to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Stan

We get it, you dont, every situation is different, while you tend to over simplify. If a dog is jumped on out of nowhere, he fights back or gets chewed up, he can not back up 2 steps and avoid the fight. I do not condone fighting, but a dog that fights back when given no choice definitely is not mean or aggressive as you continue to imply. Think what you like, but do not pizz on my leg and tell me it's raining and expect me to agree. Most folks don't give a rat's bottom what you or I have to say about mean dogs, folks with a really mean dog know what they have. Dave

Old Post 06-15-2020 02:39 AM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Melblank
If you get in more than a couple of fights in a dogs life you are probably the problem.

I got a stack of 2nd place ribbons 6” high but I am old now if I know it’s coming before hand you ain’t gonna win lol.

Tar

Old Post 06-15-2020 03:01 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
We get it, you dont, every situation is different, while you tend to over simplify. If a dog is jumped on out of nowhere, he fights back or gets chewed up, he can not back up 2 steps and avoid the fight. I do not condone fighting, but a dog that fights back when given no choice definitely is not mean or aggressive as you continue to imply. Think what you like, but do not pizz on my leg and tell me it's raining and expect me to agree. Most folks don't give a rat's bottom what you or I have to say about mean dogs, folks with a really mean dog know what they have. Dave

Until these guys actually draw a mean S.O.B. I don't think they know one or seen one. There's a huge difference in a dog that runs other dogs off a tree for a few hundred yards vs a dog that refuses to be pushed around and a squabble starts. And I'm 99% sure if you attend 100 hunts in the next year you won't see 1. So if your dog can tree with many dogs and not have any issues but you draw 1 or 2 dogs and you hear some getting straightened out at a tree, whose dog is the problem, Mine, your's, or their's? You know how your dog can be, it runs away from everything, theirs is a young dog and hasn't been around but 1 other dog its entire life, or mine?

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 06-15-2020 03:14 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

Dang this is getting good!

Old Post 06-15-2020 03:42 AM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote