UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > old blooded dogs where are they?????
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dmaker
UKC Forum Member

old blooded dogs where are they?????

is there still any out there competing with world class hounds? Or are they stuck in open events trying to title out their whole life?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-30-2020 08:13 PM
dmaker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dmaker Click here to Send dmaker a Private Message Click Here to Email dmaker Find more posts by dmaker Add dmaker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Depends on what you call old blooded. Old blooded to me is dogs from 35 yrs ago or more.

Tar

Old Post 01-30-2020 08:23 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmaker
UKC Forum Member

yadkin river bred hounds house bred hounds lipper some that come to mind they dont have to be just walkers either thats just the breed i'm most familiar with.

Old Post 01-30-2020 08:28 PM
dmaker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dmaker Click here to Send dmaker a Private Message Click Here to Email dmaker Find more posts by dmaker Add dmaker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Most of that is so far back it is not a contributing factor anymore. Zeb 3 dogs are still winning major hunts but let’s say some of the most highest pup number studs never produced a world champion. I often wondered why some people would give $5,000 for a weaning pup out of them.

Tar

Old Post 01-30-2020 08:36 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmaker
UKC Forum Member

alot of boys in virginia still linebreed yadkin hounds for pleasure hunting but dont competition hunt you would think if someone will only pleasure hunt they would quit linebreeding certain hounds that have say cold slow trailing styles i dont know i'm just looking at some of the dogs winning and i never see anything that i would call older style blood.

Old Post 01-30-2020 08:45 PM
dmaker
UKC Forum Member

alot of boys in virginia still linebreed yadkin hounds for pleasure hunting but dont competition hunt you would think if someone will only pleasure hunt they would quit linebreeding certain hounds that have say cold slow trailing styles i dont know i'm just looking at some of the dogs winning and i never see anything that i would call older style blood.

Old Post 01-30-2020 08:45 PM
yadkintar
Banned

The yadkin river dogs I have had are not slow trailers they (run !! )a cold coon that hotter nosed dogs will pass up. What you got to understand is with the deep and alone dogs on the scene us old doggies with bad ears and legs are at a disadvantage. Just going with a buddy to tree a couple coons is more meaningful. Many of yesterday’s top breeders of top coonhounds fit that criteria.

Tar

Old Post 01-30-2020 08:54 PM
dmaker
UKC Forum Member

so are you saying they can't compete against the hot nosed deep and lonely kind of hound?

Old Post 01-30-2020 09:08 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by dmaker
so are you saying they can't compete against the hot nosed deep and lonely kind of hound?

What I am saying has nothing to do with the old blooded dogs. Us old guys don’t want to chase those other guys hotter nosed deep and alone dogs all night.

It ain’t worth the pain the next day lol.

Tar

Old Post 01-30-2020 09:26 PM
dmaker
UKC Forum Member

i understand, well how about this have you ever hunted with a older blooded dog that hunted deep and lonely?

Old Post 01-30-2020 09:30 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by dmaker
i understand, well how about this have you ever hunted with a older blooded dog that hunted deep and lonely?

Yes but I call it indifferent they got away from the pack when the pack was messing up. Lipper just flat out ran dogs on their track. Adios lightning treed coons all around dogs. Hopkins cash was so loud if they were very deep you couldn’t hear yours. Crows boss would fall out of a race tree a layup and if you were not careful you put him back in the race he would tree yours. Now just my opinion we had more stricter rules we hunted 3 hrs usually in the same spot 300 minus you was out and plus points or go home. No tracking systems. How many of today’s dogs could compete and consistently win under that format.

Most enjoyable little 45 pound dog I ever hunted grntch James river rattle snake he wasent loud he wasent classy but a coondog he was he was out of tar rattler and a
Lipper female.

Tar

Old Post 01-30-2020 09:50 PM
mike shannon
UKC Forum Member

Hillbilly Mac

I have linebred on 1984 Worldnite Champion Smith's Hillbilly Mac. I have him in the 3rd generation!!! I hunt what I breed and breed what I hunt.

NITECH CH HTX PR SHANNON'S HILLBILLY CHIEF 6 CAST WINS
PR SHANNON’S HILLBILLY LUCIE
PR SHANNON’S HILLBILLY MAXIE

If you can read this thank a TEACHER
If you can read this in English, thank a VETERAN

www.freewebs.com/shannonshowmekennels

United States Army Retired

Old Post 01-30-2020 11:20 PM
mike shannon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike shannon Click here to Send mike shannon a Private Message Click Here to Email mike shannon Find more posts by mike shannon Add mike shannon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: Hillbilly Mac

quote:
Originally posted by mike shannon
I have linebred on 1984 Worldnite Champion Smith's Hillbilly Mac. I have him in the 3rd generation!!! I hunt what I breed and breed what I hunt.

Mike I think he is asking why if that old blood was so good why is it not winning major hunts. In my case I don’t even like driving 20 miles to the grocery store let alone 16 hrs to a hunt even if they told me I won it before I left home lol.

Tar

Old Post 01-30-2020 11:26 PM
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

dmaker

i'm hunting a bloodline of walker's i got from a man that has had this same line for 52 years, i'm more of a pleasure hunter but do comp hunt a little and they are the best track dogs and accurate dogs i have ever had.i have coon hunted for 30+ years

Old Post 01-30-2020 11:32 PM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
V. Cannon
UKC Forum Member

I sure miss those old Bloodlines, most of them wouldn’t settle on a tree before they turned 4 years old but once they got to treeing you could usually have them broke off of deer and fox before they turned 7.
Many of the hunters would have a pack of hounds just to make up one dog that would tree a coon, you might have one dog for each task, one to strike, one to trail and one to tree. It was a bad hunt when your treedog left out on a deer before your track dog got a coon to a tree for him.

The people that’s missing those old dogs are the guys that’s not hunting and doing most of the posting on the hunting forums and bragging on old dead dogs.

The dogs hunters are hunting today would easily tree twice as many coon as the common dogs would 50 years ago. I remember treeing coon that dogs dogs trailed for 6 hours and didn’t go a mile. Now days it’s not uncommon for a dog to tree six coon in that amount of time.
The people that’s bragging on dogs from 50 years ago either wasn’t hunting 50 years ago or don’t know what a coondog is now.

Old Post 01-31-2020 12:03 AM
V. Cannon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for V. Cannon Click here to Send V. Cannon a Private Message Find more posts by V. Cannon Add V. Cannon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by V. Cannon
I sure miss those old Bloodlines, most of them wouldn’t settle on a tree before they turned 4 years old but once they got to treeing you could usually have them broke off of deer and fox before they turned 7.
Many of the hunters would have a pack of hounds just to make up one dog that would tree a coon, you might have one dog for each task, one to strike, one to trail and one to tree. It was a bad hunt when your treedog left out on a deer before your track dog got a coon to a tree for him.

The people that’s missing those old dogs are the guys that’s not hunting and doing most of the posting on the hunting forums and bragging on old dead dogs.

The dogs hunters are hunting today would easily tree twice as many coon as the common dogs would 50 years ago. I remember treeing coon that dogs dogs trailed for 6 hours and didn’t go a mile. Now days it’s not uncommon for a dog to tree six coon in that amount of time.
The people that’s bragging on dogs from 50 years ago either wasn’t hunting 50 years ago or don’t know what a coondog is now.

Did you read the list of dogs I said I hunted against and that’s not all of them dogs of a today couldn’t have held their sack.

Tar

Old Post 01-31-2020 12:08 AM
V. Cannon
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Did you read the list of dogs I said I hunted against and that’s not all of them dogs of a today couldn’t have held their sack.

Tar

I also hunted with some of those dogs and dogs like coonstopper along drawing some of the supposedly great dogs Delton advertised.

I don’t think any of those dogs could compare to the good dogs today.
It’s miles difference in hunters breeding programs today.

Old Post 01-31-2020 12:15 AM
V. Cannon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for V. Cannon Click here to Send V. Cannon a Private Message Find more posts by V. Cannon Add V. Cannon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by V. Cannon
I also hunted with some of those dogs and dogs like coonstopper along drawing some of the supposedly great dogs Delton advertised.

I don’t think any of those dogs could compare to the good dogs today.
It’s miles difference in hunters breeding programs today.

Different rules different dogs didn’t get paid for circle slicks and babbling.

I am going hunting toodles lol.

Tar

Old Post 01-31-2020 12:19 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Old bloodlines VS new bloodlines

Men, the facts are that without the old bloodlines we would not have the new bloodlines. What folks liked yesteryear folks today may or may not like, it's all in ones choice, but without yesterday's dogs, we would not have the dogs of today. We ALL evolve and our choices are always changing, hunt what you like and do not worry about what the other man hunts. We ALL do not like the same thing whatever is being discussed, be it dogs, guns, trucks or anything else. The different choices we have gives each of us the opportunity to be different, but that in itself does not make our choices the BEST choices, it only serves to separate our different likes and dislikes. Thank GOD we all are not alike and that we have something for everyone. Dave

Old Post 01-31-2020 01:58 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmaker
UKC Forum Member

so what i meant is not who is better because times have changed coons use to make money so having a dog that took his time and groomed the area was what people wanted in a hound tree them as they came now a days coons are worth a shoe covered in s*** and people want comp dogs what i was getting at is are there any dogs that have that type of blood that people have bred to be able to compete or have they stayed the same and kept to the roots to keep that older style living? reason this came to mind is i bred my linebred hound which his pedigree has house chief shives dogs alot of woodscreek loose bruce and a pile of yadkin river tar rattler with shots of yadkin river champ chico crowder and tar heel dogs i crossed my male who has won plenty in ukc open slams and rqe's and is 4th in pkc iowa state race with a fresh blooded female that complimented is faults she is directly out of wenty and reezen and wenty is heavy nailor bred (yadkin river rattler is nailors sire) so i thought maybe this would be a decent cross for me and a few people i know that love my dog and want to competition hunt and was curious if there was people out there still running these hunts with dogs like mine up close basically to black and white the cross would be cold nose drift tracks run head up blow in the country and tree when he knew he had coons and crossed him on a very hot nose tree everybreath hard hard going female thats the black and white version of it just seeing whose tried it how'd it go

Old Post 01-31-2020 03:42 AM
Coby Wright
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Most of that is so far back it is not a contributing factor anymore. Zeb 3 dogs are still winning major hunts but let’s say some of the most highest pup number studs never produced a world champion. I often wondered why some people would give $5,000 for a weaning pup out of them.

Tar

I assume you are referring to Rat Attack and it's because his pup earnings are nearly $2 million in PKC and I think the 2002 PKC world champion Vogels Hardwood Rat was out of him.

At Stud: Gr. Nt. Ch. Wright's Stylish Lotto Bawls (click here to see ad)

Former Home of Gr. Nt. Ch. Bawling Rebel.

Old Post 01-31-2020 03:52 AM
Coby Wright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coby Wright Click here to Send Coby Wright a Private Message Visit Coby Wright's homepage! Find more posts by Coby Wright Add Coby Wright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
V. Cannon
UKC Forum Member

In reality there’s no such thing as what some people might call old blood, every time there’s a mating it results in new blood.

Old Post 01-31-2020 04:13 AM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Coby Wright
I assume you are referring to Rat Attack and it's because his pup earnings are nearly $2 million in PKC and I think the 2002 PKC world champion Vogels Hardwood Rat was out of him.

No Coby I was talking about lipper far as I know he never reproduced himself he was a freak a track driving coon treeing freak that’s why most of the people that hunted with him bought a $5,000 pup trying to get him he reproduced some really nice dogs but never nothing close to him. I don’t remember ever hunting with maybe two out of rat that I remember and I don’t remember much about them they just didn’t work well down here is my guess. But rattler and lipper when mixed complimented each other.

Tar

Old Post 01-31-2020 04:44 AM
Midnightghost
UKC Forum Member

I have a female out of Dr law I guess is the dreaded lipper blood. I started keeping track December 1st 43 coons 8dens and 4slicks. She probably three 20 or so before December 1st. Hunts the way ones suppose to twenty feet or two miles don't matter. Been in Northern Ohio by the way most of the time after ten o'clock.

Old Post 01-31-2020 05:06 AM
Midnightghost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Midnightghost Click here to Send Midnightghost a Private Message Click Here to Email Midnightghost Find more posts by Midnightghost Add Midnightghost to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmaker
UKC Forum Member

i know one of the gentlemen that owed chkc and he hunted with law and bred his female the next cycle so that said i know that law is a sure nuff coondog because he wouldn't breed to a hound that's as common as grass.

quote:
Originally posted by Midnightghost
I have a female out of Dr law I guess is the dreaded lipper blood. I started keeping track December 1st 43 coons 8dens and 4slicks. She probably three 20 or so before December 1st. Hunts the way ones suppose to twenty feet or two miles don't matter. Been in Northern Ohio by the way most of the time after ten o'clock.

Old Post 01-31-2020 05:11 AM