UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeding better dogs-what we believe
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Here is something I also have learned over the years, the hardest part about breeding is keeping a line of dogs intact or true to the traits.
Many can make a good cross, but try and keep that going for the long haul 😊 Many lines come and go.
One cross into your line can change them forever, this is why you have to be so careful to know the family traits and what that particular dog is throwing.
And why I also like the older stud that has many progeny on the ground, so I can see over time what he has thrown.

Also how many times have we seen the next great stud on this website where guys flock to breed, only to find out that he threw too much tree or ground pounders? Many times 😊
There is no fast track to breeding a line of dogs unless you have a team helping you that are bought in to your process.
Focus on traits, not winners and you will see better dogs.

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-22-2020 12:16 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Surveyor
I'd be worried that pregnant female would catch and eat a possum, then the pups would never be able to be broke off possum!

😂😂

Mike, you’ve knocked it out of the park with this one! You’ve also diagnosed one of my sorry potlickers ailments 😉

Has nothing to do with her sorry owner!

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 06-22-2020 01:57 PM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

?

Last edited by Reuben on 06-23-2020 at 05:18 PM

Old Post 06-23-2020 05:09 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

Better or not?

I believe that in a lot of cases, the best pups in the litter may not have ever been given a chance. We can only judge a dog when it reaches it's full potential and many never reach that point. As far as being as good or better than their parents, if we never thought the offspring from our breeding's were going to be better than what we already have then there would be no point in breeding for better dogs. Dogs don't get better over night, it takes a good trainable dog to start with then take it to it's full potential. Then, and only then, we can see where we are and where we need to go to improve on what we have. Sometimes we just get plain lucky in my honest opinion, LOL!

Old Post 06-23-2020 09:49 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Ron, i somewhat agree with your statement," being better than there parents" but when i was breeding Liza Jane several years ago, i would go to Big Time studs and there owners would say he ought to cross very well on her you will like them,
and my response would be i just hope he don't bring her down,
because she reproduces
I wanted whole litters of her!

Old Post 06-24-2020 02:25 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Something i don't hear allot anymore is dogs with grit and drive,
Drive is very important to me, i test pups as they grow to see if scent, blood etc makes them excited, i like those pups!
Example, i had a litter a year or so ago that was running loose,never seen anything about 2.5 months old, my Treeing Feist had a squirrel treed in front of the house so i shot it out to her.
Did not know where pups were? They came running just because they heard me, but when they got there, there was a spot of blood the size of a quarter on the ground,( the feist took the squirrel and ran) The pups started sniffing the blood spot and went into a frenzy, it was crazy to see how it excited them.
They finally found the feist and took her squirrel and ate it. lol

Old Post 06-24-2020 03:18 PM
daniel urffer
UKC Forum Member

Re: Breeding better dogs-what we believe

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
I once read that the pups can only be as good as the parents...from my experience that is not true. Closer to the truth is, the pups can only be as good as what is in the parents...

I also believe in how the pregnant gyp is handled can change the pups during the gestation period, especially after the 6th week of gestation...if you hunt coon let her bay a coon in a roll cage...take her hunting...feed her coon etc...

Let us hear your thought process on the "outside the box breeding better dogs"...thanks

Really???

Old Post 06-25-2020 05:57 AM
daniel urffer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for daniel urffer Click here to Send daniel urffer a Private Message Click Here to Email daniel urffer Find more posts by daniel urffer Add daniel urffer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Breeding better dogs-what we believe

quote:
Originally posted by daniel urffer
Really???

Well I shouldn’t have said feeding coon....it would be like feeding a dog possum...the dog would probably quit running coon...

If anyone would take the time to read about Epigenetics they would possibly consider what I am saying...while not getting into the details I will give an example of what I do and why...doesn’t mean it is right but something for others to think about as well...

When I raise puppies at about five weeks old I have them miss the morning meal...by this time they have developed a taste for raw meat...

I will throw a raw hog head in the middle of the yard and guide them to it and let them feed on it...I remove the head before they eat too much for...

My reasoning is this...first is to develop taste for raw meat...I fed tidbits before feeding time...always using hunger to my advantage...

Then I fed raw pork again using hunger and their acquired taste for raw meat...

I take it away before they get sick from eating to much...

Does this work...I am not sure but I do it because I believe it does...

Following the right steps at the right time and quantities are very important to me...

Old Post 06-27-2020 12:17 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I have had an opinion on what I have seen in the past...I have seen a family of dogs become wider and faster hunters and more grit over 5- 7 generations...at the beginning I thought when looking at the dogs to breed...look at the sire and dam and the family tree for what the pups could be one day...the other thing to consider was puppy selection...we also know environment also plays a role but I always thought the right dogs in the breeding program and proper puppy selection was the most important things and still do...environment is important but that is a variable to a certain extent...

The taming of the foxes video makes me believe it is possible on what I believe...

When breeding for excellent striking abilities it is possible to get faster hunt and wider hunting and desire to the degree one must not turn the dog loose until all is ready to
go...

Selecting for tighter bay....at some point some of the dogs became more aggressive...

It seems it is possible that when breeding for more of this or that that it can actually take us over the edge...even if the previous dogs in the pedigree did not exhibit the extreme traits...It is a personal theory of mine...has anyone else made the same or similar observations?

Old Post 07-01-2020 11:19 PM
DAVE H
UKC Forum Member

Definitely some interesting reading and lots of info to get one thinking!
Dave Dean once told me " you can only breed so much of one thing in a dog before you have a problem"
He went on to say you can only breed so much strike into a dog before you get a babbler.

BLUE GHOST HAUNTED SKY

Old Post 07-01-2020 11:59 PM
DAVE H is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DAVE H Click here to Send DAVE H a Private Message Click Here to Email DAVE H Find more posts by DAVE H Add DAVE H to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I never had the pleasure of meeting Dave Dean but I really liked his writings...loved his style and his thinking was unique...I spoke with him on the phone right before he passes and he as not able to purchase his books and articles...

Even though I didn’t know him I looked up to him in that he had some pretty good hammer dogs...

Old Post 07-02-2020 12:43 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

A Wise King...

A wise king once said to his son...it is better to marry a fair maiden from a family known for a long line of many warriors and leaders of men...and of many beautiful and talented maidens than to marry a beautiful maiden from a long line of peasants...

Old Post 07-05-2020 03:11 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Swimming

I used to test pups for swimming...the idea came to me when I took the pups for a short excursions behind my house and before it got so populated...

During those times I noticed a few pups loved to hit the water on their own without any encouragement...so my reasoning was that it was a natural trait and it was a good trait to breed for...

I noticed that the best swimmers had the body build that I liked best...when swimming all you saw was theit head gliding through the water...these type of dogs when trailing and running a hog and the hog hit the river these dogs were the best in the water...fast swimmers and would porpoise to increase swimming speed...that is the best I can describe it...about 2/3 their body would lunge forward trying to catch up to the hog swimming in the water...

The body build of these type of dogs...
Taller at the withers than the back and muscular...a well muscled top of neck and fairly deep chest with a tight flank...the loin and rear is fairly wide and muscled with plenty of driving power...the front legs and fore arms are powerful and well boned and muscled...the feet are fairly large and toes are strong and never flat footed...

I noticed these type were the strongest swimmers and also the best in defending themselves in a scuffle with another dog...

I see these type of dogs as the best all around and my favorite type...I tried to breed this type of dog...I think of football team players and I consider this type of dog like the middle linebacker...not the biggest but big...not the fastest but fast...not the strongest but strong...but could be the quickest and all around...

I stopped looking for those that loved the water because gators are bad around my part of the country...

Last edited by Reuben on 07-10-2020 at 04:49 PM

Old Post 07-10-2020 02:36 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Speed

If my odometer was right these dogs ran 27-28 mph at maximum speed and they could hold it for a good bit but I never measured the distance...

Old Post 07-11-2020 12:19 PM