UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Rattlesnake Vaccine?
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Clif Owen
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Rattlesnakes

quote:
Originally posted by yotetrapper
Having only lived in the south for a few years, what would you consider "rattlesnake country" to be? Do you mean a specific type of terrain, or just anywhere Rattlesnakes are known to be?

In a lot of areas in the south; they seem to be in areas with palmettos to name 1 spot. I know there are lots in the Tensas NWR area near Tallulah LA. Not really sure what else seems to hold them but I do know that it seems some areas are worse than others for holding them.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-10-2020 01:19 AM
Clif Owen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clif Owen Click here to Send Clif Owen a Private Message Click Here to Email Clif Owen Find more posts by Clif Owen Add Clif Owen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

The marshes along the Texas coast has quite a few...certain areas along the same coast can have a higher concentration than normal...they are scattered throughout Texas and South Texas is loaded with them as well...there are certain spots in those areas that hold higher concentrations as well...but be ideal habitats in those places...

One in area in particular is close to me...it is a combination of marsh and light brush and that area is like a slight hill which is unusual for this flat country...you couldn’t walk a mile without seeing 2 or 3 rattlesnakes...
I killed one at that location that was about 6 ft. long and about 2.5 or 3” in diameter at it thickest...I believe the snakes I am talking about are western diamondbacks...

Old Post 07-10-2020 02:23 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Reuben

Man, I feel your pain, you just do not have a choice when they are spread around every where you hunt. Its hunt in snake country or stay home, lucky for me, we do have a lot of hunting areas that do not have rattlesnakes, only copperheads. I refuse to hunt in rattlesnake areas in the summertime, I wait until they den up before hunting that ground. Timber rattlesnakes use communal dens high in the mountains and den up by November until March. Where you live they are active much longer and come out of dens earlier, I could not handle that. I can wear snake chaps and watch where I walk, it's my dogs that I worry about. Dave

Old Post 07-10-2020 03:31 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yotetrapper
UKC Forum Member

I live in northern MS, and we have cottonmouths everywhere. The last hound I had got bit 3 times in one summer by, I assume, cottonmouth. The first time she swelled up bad and was laid up on the couch for 2 full weeks. The next time she was swelled up for only about 3 days, and the last time only about 24 hours. We didn't go to the vet for any of them, just fed Benadryl and Amoxicillin.

We've lived here for about 5 years now, and last summer was the first time I saw a copperhead, and it was a pair of them in my flower bed. I had never saw a rattlesnake yet until yesterday. It was a diamondback, and was dead on the road about 7 miles from my house. The area it was in looked just like the area around the house so I guess if it was there they could be here too, I've just not seen any yet.

Old Post 07-10-2020 04:09 AM
yotetrapper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yotetrapper Click here to Send yotetrapper a Private Message Click Here to Email yotetrapper Find more posts by yotetrapper Add yotetrapper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

It takes most snakes 24-48 hrs to build their venom back up after a strike. So how sick your dog gets depends on when the snake last struck/killed something.
A friend of mine was struck by a snake. His buddy killed the snake and rushed him to the ER and took the snake with them. The Dr said that it was an Eastern Diamondback but that it had a big lump that was a mouse inside it that it was still digesting. My friend didn't get sick at all.

Old Post 07-10-2020 12:09 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Lambert

Research has shown that up to 40 percent of rattlesnake bites are dry bites with little to no venom. Snakes do not want to waste venom on a non prey item, trying to harm or catch the snake causes the snake to inject venom when they bite, and yes it takes time to rebuild their venom, so they do not want to waste it. Personally, I do not want to chance the dry bite percentage on myself or my dogs. Dave

Old Post 07-10-2020 06:48 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pttm08
UKC Forum Member

Still to this day I carry a bottle of pure turpentine. From years ago many loggers in the WV mountain carried it for snake bites. I have used it on one dog that had gotten bit my a Timber rattler and all was well. I use it still for bee sting on myself as I have had an allergic reaction to them in the past. Wherever the bit or sting is just open the bottle and hold the opening tight to the skin. Will draw out any venom immediately. Not a bad thing to have in the first aid kit at all. Will also draw out infections in one.

Home of

PR CH Big Blue Buster HTX
PR CH Angle Plantation's Red Jasper

Let's get Ticked

Old Post 07-10-2020 08:40 PM
pttm08 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pttm08 Click here to Send pttm08 a Private Message Click Here to Email pttm08 Find more posts by pttm08 Add pttm08 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Pttm08,

I grew up on turpentine and kerosene...used it on the whole family including the farm animals...spider webs and turpentine for cuts, punctures...another item always on hand was Volcanic oil...My grandpa lived with us and he was born in 1882 so that was the normal in his early years and it just carried over into my early years...he took care of all the farm animals better than anyone I’ve known...

Last edited by Reuben on 07-11-2020 at 11:43 AM

Old Post 07-11-2020 02:12 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote