UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How many coons per acre ?
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Cotton 1927
But everybody claims to have one, everybody says they got one, bout everyone that's got one to sell says there's will, .......

They was just joken lol.

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-08-2020 06:21 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Sonny you think some fear people going back to hunting meat dogs in the hunts because it will change the game on ole deep and alone ?

Tar

I’m not a big fan of deep and lonely, I’ve enjoyed being that “dog” sometimes but I think it really messes up a good hunt often. What I want is one that that try’s to find a coon to tree every minute that it’s loose. No running from others, running junk or making slicks. Just treeing coons! With that said I think a dog needs to know what kinda tracks it can handle and seek those out. Some dogs can take a old track and handle it easily, some need a hot one. IMO a dog that can take the first track it finds and tree it easily , it will win and be a joy to hunt. We’ve all seen a dog try to do something that it can’t do well..... I believe the biggest difference in what I like to compete with and what I would use to “take fur” with is just the hunt style. If I am trying to catch coons I would like one that doesn’t hustle past coons as much. I’m trying to catch them, not beat the clock.

I think what u are calling the “meat dog” can and will win a bit more often with these rule changes. The recut will be big now. I’ve often said if a dog would hunt with speed, into the wind cutting and slashing through a woods that it would be hard to handle in a cast.

Last edited by Sonny Phipps on 04-08-2020 at 06:55 PM

Old Post 04-08-2020 06:51 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by BrokeBackKennel
Get deep and Get Beat !!!

Sometimes yes! Lol
It seems like when I’m hunting a dog that doesn’t “go find” a coon when needed I end up loosing casts to ones that will. When I hunt a big wide hunter, I get beat by one that works them up close...... it’s a double edged sword at times

Old Post 04-08-2020 07:17 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Cotton 1927
But everybody claims to have one, everybody says they got one, bout everyone that's got one to sell says there's will, .......

And what some guys call a "deep" hunting dog isn't all that deep. Most are calling 500 yards a deep hunter. I like for a dog to hunt its way out from me. And go as deep as it takes to find a coon. And I don't care much for 1 that hunts in a straight line. I personally prefer a dog to hunt a 500 yard loop around me then go deeper.

I like dogs to tree the first coon they come to off the snap. The issue I see is a bunch of guys haven't seen a good or great track dog before, so they don't know what 1 is. And I've seen some good dog work and bad dog work from some dogs that are better than avg. I'd expect to see both out a dog over time.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 04-09-2020 01:24 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Y’all walking or riding ?

Tar

Almost every tree is a death march here Tar. Couple thousand feet of elevation change and I wouldn’t think I have many round trips to trees under a mile. I remembered to set the Garmin odometer one night this winter and it was 11 miles and 9,000+ elevation change before I set back down in the Toyota. I remembered why I quit keeping up with it, because it proves how insane I am!

Old Post 04-09-2020 03:34 AM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

We just got in from fishing. I didn’t know social distancing ment getting drunk and try to run over fisherman with your airboat!! Must have been 10 of them. Couldn’t fish for those idiots. But we take long walks here to there is no driving around on this public hunting but pleasure hunting however long it takes me that’s ok lol.

Tar

Old Post 04-09-2020 03:42 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

KDWPT (Kansas Wildlife) put out that we have 40 coon per square mile in excellent habitat. Twenty to 25 per square mile in good habitat. I don't see that being possible.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Last edited by blueticker on 04-09-2020 at 05:13 AM

Old Post 04-09-2020 04:18 AM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

We really got a good amount of coons every once in a while sombody shows up with a coondog and shows them to us we ain’t used to that stuff lol.

Tar

Old Post 04-09-2020 01:37 PM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Lol very humbling isn't it

Old Post 04-09-2020 02:55 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Bourne
UKC Forum Member

Test

Old Post 04-09-2020 08:41 PM
Jason Bourne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Bourne Click here to Send Jason Bourne a Private Message Click Here to Email Jason Bourne Find more posts by Jason Bourne Add Jason Bourne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jerrydillon17
UKC Forum Member

Lol

I thought I had slim coon population , lordy was I wrong after I culled the slick treeers an got real coon hound it still amazes me seeing coon in about every tree I walk too !! Thank you clover breed for making good acurate coon dog

Old Post 04-09-2020 09:51 PM
jerrydillon17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jerrydillon17 Click here to Send jerrydillon17 a Private Message Click Here to Email jerrydillon17 Find more posts by jerrydillon17 Add jerrydillon17 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Lol

quote:
Originally posted by jerrydillon17
I thought I had slim coon population , lordy was I wrong after I culled the slick treeers an got real coon hound it still amazes me seeing coon in about every tree I walk too !! Thank you clover breed for making good acurate coon dog
Same here. For the last three years I've been having an amazingly accurate female. I also have her 9 month old sister that looks to be the same way. I think there a only about three coons in the woods I hunt, but every time I go I see one or two of them.

Old Post 04-10-2020 12:40 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jerrydillon17
UKC Forum Member

Awesome , Shadnic , I just got home I took my gyp out for a turn out. , was good race the ol coon put good race up , went threw some thick stuff an she put it up coon was on the outside it was big viney tree it looked at me few times , hope everyone else having good hunting

Old Post 04-10-2020 03:44 AM
jerrydillon17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jerrydillon17 Click here to Send jerrydillon17 a Private Message Click Here to Email jerrydillon17 Find more posts by jerrydillon17 Add jerrydillon17 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote