UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Summer hunting
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
GaCreekz
UKC Forum Member

Summer hunting

I wanted to see how many people still go hunting when the trees get full of leaves. The past two times I’ve been the trees had so many leaves it would be almost impossible to find the coon.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-07-2020 01:30 PM
GaCreekz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GaCreekz Click here to Send GaCreekz a Private Message Click Here to Email GaCreekz Find more posts by GaCreekz Add GaCreekz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Summer

I've always enjoyed summer time hunting, young coons in the corn fields make for some great running with a young or old dog and yes you don't always see them eyes, I pick my nites and spots when I go and I make sure my tick meds are up to date I just don't like laying a young dog up all summer but that's just me, I bought a few extra cans of sketter dope last fall when it was on sale.....and a new water jug!

Old Post 04-07-2020 02:17 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

I tell myself every year that I'm not gonna hunt this summer but I always do. Can't stand to see the dogs laid up all summer. Do everything I can to take care of the tick problem for both myself and my dogs.

Old Post 04-07-2020 02:36 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sfox91
UKC Forum Member

With some patience and a quality squaller, if the coon is there you’re most likely going to find it.

Old Post 04-07-2020 03:01 PM
Sfox91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sfox91 Click here to Send Sfox91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Sfox91 Find more posts by Sfox91 Add Sfox91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Where I live the hunting is better in the mid, to late Spring, through Summer. Coons migrate away from the rivers and creeks when it gets cold. In the Fall it can be good hunting.... but nobody lets you go coon hunting on their land here for fear of scaring a deer (don't get me started!). So land owners are much more open to letting you hunt, and coons are much more concentrated on rivers in the Spring and Summer.

Old Post 04-07-2020 04:04 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

the same

Pretty much hunt the same year round.Try to go at least every other nite,weather permitting.

Old Post 04-07-2020 04:46 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul Frederick
UKC Forum Member

In Illinois we hunted year round. You can get a young dog primed up and ready if they are running and treeing by themselves in the Spring and then pour it to them in the Summer hunting them by their selves. It gets hot and you need bug spry but some of my favorite memories are from hunting in the summer.

I live in South Georgia now and no one I've found hunts in the summer. Most everybody I've met who hunts is done now and won't start up again until October. I've been trying to find someone to hunt with and everyone has packed up their dogs apparently for the duration of hot weather.

Old Post 04-07-2020 06:52 PM
Paul Frederick is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paul Frederick Click here to Send Paul Frederick a Private Message Click Here to Email Paul Frederick Find more posts by Paul Frederick Add Paul Frederick to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

Paul, you will understand by July. When I lived in central NC I hunted through the summer picking my nights. I live in eastern NC with flat lands and swamps, it gets to hot to hunt.

Old Post 04-07-2020 07:56 PM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul Frederick
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bill(Chew)
Paul, you will understand by July. When I lived in central NC I hunted through the summer picking my nights. I live in eastern NC with flat lands and swamps, it gets to hot to hunt.

I know it gets too hot to hunt here, Bill, but I think we may be a little early right now. It got too hot to hunt in Illinois too but it was for just a couple of weeks at the peak of summer in July or August. Really it was more that it was too dry over being too hot. Thankfully we didn't have venomous snakes so we didn't have that to worry about. But it would get so hot even a real coondog can't run a track with no moisture on the ground at all.

Old Post 04-07-2020 08:06 PM
Paul Frederick is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paul Frederick Click here to Send Paul Frederick a Private Message Click Here to Email Paul Frederick Find more posts by Paul Frederick Add Paul Frederick to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
George pouliott
UKC Forum Member

I hunt year round in North East Florida 90 degree plus night's . I bring plenty of water and try to hunt canals best I can . I go several days a week just to thin out the moccasins and gators best I can and they are definitely out now . Chopped a couple biggens heads off already . And the tree's stay green year round so you gotta have a good squaller .

Paul there's plenty of guy's hunt year round in South Georgia especially all along the Florida line . Find a UKC club around by or PKC and meet a couple of em .

Old Post 04-07-2020 08:30 PM
George pouliott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for George pouliott Click here to Send George pouliott a Private Message Click Here to Email George pouliott Find more posts by George pouliott Add George pouliott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul Frederick
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by George pouliott
I hunt year round in North East Florida 90 degree plus night's . I bring plenty of water and try to hunt canals best I can . I go several days a week just to thin out the moccasins and gators best I can and they are definitely out now . Chopped a couple biggens heads off already . And the tree's stay green year round so you gotta have a good squaller .

Paul there's plenty of guy's hunt year round in South Georgia especially all along the Florida line . Find a UKC club around by or PKC and meet a couple of em .

Thanks for the advice George. I'm in Thomasville and haven't been too lucky in finding someone to hunt with. I've got several guys who I've talked to who said they would let me know when they were going hunting but I haven't heard back from them. If you know of anyone down here I'd love to go with them. I don't have any dogs so it would just be me tagging along for the fun of it.

Old Post 04-07-2020 08:32 PM
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

I know some that only hunt when the leaves are on. That's where them 95% coondogs come from.

Old Post 04-08-2020 12:24 AM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote