UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > I would like to ?
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Team Mafia 2
You boys are going to think I’m lying and that’s ok. A boy that lives south of us about 30 minutes had a dog he called Jerry. The dog is dead and gone now but he was a big hard hunting steal mouth dog. The last kill season he hunted him the dog made 187 trees and he knocked out 153 single coon to him. Ty is as honest as they come. The type that if he said a rooster dips snuff if you pick up his wings your gonna find his can. I watched the dog make 35 trees in 6 nights of hunting in December and had 35 coon on the outside. He was hands down the best I’ve ever seen at having a coon.

Jerry always had a coon.

I also seen him go 4.3 miles in a straight line and never make a bark in North MO lol.

Johnny be Good is still the most accurate dog I have hunted with. He had holes, but when he treed you knew you were going to look at a coon.

Accurate dogs are cool, but I want one to take chances on occasion.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-19-2020 12:22 AM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Accuracy

Townsend Whelensaid only accurate rifles are interesting, I feel the same way about coon dogs, only accurate coon dogs are interesting to me. I can look out my door and see all the empty trees I ever want to see, I do not need a dog to show me empty trees. Lol. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 01-19-2020 at 01:42 AM

Old Post 01-19-2020 01:13 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

If your dog strikes and does not tree that strike he is not accurate. I can take you ( and the ones that were not chicken and came down here ) to places where the river got out and washed up 8’ log jams for a 100 yards and the brush has grown over it. And 30’ canyons you can put a house in. And 100 acre briar patches that when a red hot coon goes in them that I say most you guys dogs can’t tree them and after 2 or 3 hours and they are all cut up they will pull a give up tree. I seen dogs that have won major hunts just not look good here you got a dog that can tree coons regular here they can tree them anywhere. Ball made a fortune selling dogs from here.

Tar

Old Post 01-19-2020 01:46 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

You are right, a dog strikes a track and does not tree, they are not accurate. We all have nasty hunting spots, some just worse than others. Hunting in swamps is not for the faint of heart, I know, been there done that. Hunting these mountains arent a piece of cake either, dogs should adapt to the country they are hunted in and the good ones will perform above the rest. Every point of refuge has its price, men and dogs have to adapt to be successful . We can debate forever on who has the worst hunting conditions, but the cream always rises to the top. Dave

Old Post 01-19-2020 02:10 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

You said you had three I have had two you have hunted 50+ years I have hunted 40+ years. I got a thread on Facebook and all them guys say their dogs are 90% night in night out. I admit my dogs are inaccurate at times buuuuuut when I draw them 90% dogs I have no problem winning against them with my mediocre dogs paper and pen can write anything. Most are 50% at best that’s why they like the $$$ hunts got to have a winner.

I was born but it wasent yesterday and what I hunt is just average compared to what I had in the past. Those 70% accurate on every coon is scarce as hens teeth.

Tar

Old Post 01-19-2020 02:26 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

You are right, me and you together have 90 years and 5 dogs that we called COON DOGS and were deadly accurate, my hunting partner has had 3 with over 60 years of hunting and 1 of them we both owned, together we only owned 5 separate dogs we called COON DOGS that mastered treeing coons and were unreal accurate dogs. Add my hunting partners dogs with ours and that's 7 dogs and 150 years of hunting experience, so no they are not common at all. While we know they exist, they are few and far between. I am always in the market for one like that and am willing to pay what it takes, just show me the dog is real. Average dogs do not interest me and COON DOGS are rare, my desire to coon hunt is getting less by the week, it's going to take something special to motivate me to hunt like I have in the past 5 to 6 nights a week. My hunting partner has the real deal, but his dog is aging, 8 going on 9 and both of us are aging as well, me at 72 and him at 82. Fishing is looking better and better all the time. Lol. Dave

Old Post 01-19-2020 04:17 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Fortunately, my old dog was one of the 3 Coon dogs I have been fortunate to own, some if my best coon hunting years have been recent years with that old dog. Same with my hunting partner as he raised and trained his 8 year old dog with my old dog. Man, we have had some great times hunting those 2 dogs, sadly, both men and dogs grow old and nothing lasts forever. I do not expect to find another Top COON DOG, but there is always the chance one will show up. If not, I like to fish and it's a whole lot easier on these old bones and legs. Lol. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 01-19-2020 at 04:30 AM

Old Post 01-19-2020 04:17 AM
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I seen dogs that have won major hunts just not look good here you got a dog that can tree coons regular here they can tree them anywhere. Ball made a fortune selling dogs from here.

Tar

Except for Georgia, right tarbaby!

Of course that was a case of dry hole or at least that’s what you claimed

Give it a rest, like Dave said, there are nasty places everywhere. I’ve seen dogs from your country up here in these so called woodlot coon zoos never get underneath a coon in a cast, while other dogs got under multiple coon. They’re all just dogs, and they’ll all make a liar out of a man. Nothing like a good serving of humble pie to remind a man of that.

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 01-19-2020 05:54 AM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

It's impossible to have a 90% dog or even a 70% dog. Down here anyway. Wished I had one I could win every hunt there is around here.

Old Post 01-19-2020 06:05 AM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Vic Stoll
Except for Georgia, right tarbaby!

Of course that was a case of dry hole or at least that’s what you claimed

Give it a rest, like Dave said, there are nasty places everywhere. I’ve seen dogs from your country up here in these so called woodlot coon zoos never get underneath a coon in a cast, while other dogs got under multiple coon. They’re all just dogs, and they’ll all make a liar out of a man. Nothing like a good serving of humble pie to remind a man of that.

Ok Vic I will be good lol.

Tar

Old Post 01-19-2020 06:29 AM
yadkintar
Banned

Dave

I love to fish I can set in that boat with my coffee all day if they are biting good or not. I wasent trying to pin any one person down. It’s kinda like a lot of other folks label a dog accurate or a coondog probly differently than I or you do. If it suits them that’s ok. Maybe it’s kinda like evolution the best accurate dogs I ever seen was when hides were high. Then when the $$$ hunts started the quality of accurate dogs as a whole declined. There are still some yes as a good as there ever where. I figure them boys hunting for the big checks demand it also. But very seldom do I see a dog that night in night out trees nearly every coon they get after. Corey brought my new pup over the other day maybe it will be him.

Tar

Old Post 01-19-2020 01:56 PM
lblhunter
UKC Forum Member

Decided to keep a record of our female starting in october. She was 29 out of 33 trees having a coon then came in heat. December 7 out of heat started hunting again. Since then she is 21 out of 39 trees. Almost 90% before december to low 50's after. When you get home right after a hunt and while you remember write down how many dens, slicks and trees with a coon. A accurate record won't lie. Dens are counted as slicks as well as big leafy trees with no eyes seen

Old Post 01-19-2020 03:58 PM
lblhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lblhunter Click here to Send lblhunter a Private Message Find more posts by lblhunter Add lblhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ING 194
UKC Forum Member

I've done this with my female counting dens or anything where I didn't see a coon as slicks and she averaged about 65 percent for the entire season last year. It's tough counting dens as slicks especially during breeding season but a circle don't produce wins lol

Old Post 01-19-2020 04:54 PM
ING 194 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ING 194 Click here to Send ING 194 a Private Message Find more posts by ING 194 Add ING 194 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote