UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Do People Really Train Dogs to Babble?
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Why didn't you explain to him that the dog that finds the tree first is rewarded 125 points and the dog that finds the track first gets 100 points. When a dog finds a track, the dog is supposed to track bark so that everyone knows it and his handler can strike him. When a dog finds the tree, it is supposed to tree bark so that his handler can tree him.

Now if a handler thinks the dog tree barks and trees him but he isn't treed, then the dog gets his tree points minused. If a dog track barks and his handler strikes him but the dog isn't trailing, then the dog gets his strike points minused.

It isn't that hard to understand. A hound is supposed to first find a track and then tree it.

Not all dogs need a track to tree a coon! Happy New Year!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-01-2020 04:45 AM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
G.W. Harring
UKC Forum Member

quote:
......... and the dog that finds the track first gets 100 points.

I didn't tell him that because that is not a true statement.

100 points for dog that "opens" first;

Not "finds the track" first.

Babble, coon, chase a ghost, rabbit, stick hit him in the..., lol???

It doesn't matter......"bark" first = 100 pts

Mr. Richard, a man of your age and wisdom and years of following hounds and you're telling me you believe that if a dog opens first, it found the track first? Right off the snap right? Every time right? 800 yrds in a straight line right? Boo Hoo around and then cover right??? Nahh you're just mess'n with me now, I'm not bite'n LOL

402-209-5053

Old Post 01-01-2020 04:51 AM
G.W. Harring is offline Click Here to See the Profile for G.W. Harring Click here to Send G.W. Harring a Private Message Find more posts by G.W. Harring Add G.W. Harring to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
G.W. Harring
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Do handlers train a dog to tree too quick or slick tree?
Do handlers train a dog to open on a track too quick or babble?

Which is worse, a slick tree'er or a babbler?

1) ? Maybe by poor hunting/training methods?? But doubtful if done on purpose because it would get you minus points

2) ? Again, maybe by poor hunting/training methods?? Buuuuut..."bark" first and you get that hunnerd!!!!

3) IMO, equal....I detest both and won't abide either.

I'd assume most would say slick tree'er is worse because it's easier to prove and it comes with a pentalty of minus points.
A babbler is more difficult to prove, (especially against 2 babble'n buddys in the same cast) easier to deny and if you can get away with it in a hunt it will give you an advantage.
Got to get that hunnerd!!! Lol

402-209-5053

Old Post 01-01-2020 05:11 AM
G.W. Harring is offline Click Here to See the Profile for G.W. Harring Click here to Send G.W. Harring a Private Message Find more posts by G.W. Harring Add G.W. Harring to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

ARE YOU A

IF YOU MAKE 10 POST A DAY ARE YOU A BABBLER

Old Post 01-01-2020 05:45 AM
Black Ash Bawl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Ash Bawl Click here to Send Black Ash Bawl a Private Message Find more posts by Black Ash Bawl Add Black Ash Bawl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

I'm just a pleasure hunter but have been to a few competition hunts. I went hunting with some serious competition hunters the other night. My dog is pretty tight mouthed which I really don't like. But them boys dogs are struck in before they are cut off the leash. Now I asked them how they put up with all that babbling. The response was: Well that 100 points can mean the difference . Now they would end up under a coon but you would have thought they put them on the track every time they where turned loose. Now if I had them dogs they had I could make some honest hounds out of them in short order and would really have some nice dogs. But the babbling is what they want. I don't think they trained them to babble they just babbled as a pup and they let them get away with it because that's what they want.

Old Post 01-01-2020 10:56 AM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

I will also tell you this. I have been a fox hunter my entire life. I seen a dog that would cast never babble at all. Get out there and cut loose buddy you would think he was driving one. People would say nothing could run with him. No they wouldn't run with him because he wasn't running anything just making it up. I told the guy that owned him what he was doing and he was ready to fight. Until I showed him what he was doing. Now this dog won some big hunts and was a major stud dog. So be careful to what you breed to. Slick treeing coondogs ghost running foxhounds . Seen some ghost running rabbit dogs too. Now ole ghost running foxhound would cross the road with some game every once in a while so had some folks fooled and judges fooled. Now foxhounds are off subject . But think about how many times you been beat by something of this nature. This foxhound won a pile of trophies and was never scratched.

Old Post 01-01-2020 11:37 AM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Re: Do People Really Train Dogs to Babble?

quote:
Originally posted by Rocketman55
In my opinion the short answer is NO they do not. But that doesn't mean they are doing anything to correct it either.

You see, way more is being done in the breeding pen to develop the trait to babble, than is being done in the training pen. Breed for a more level headed hound and a more level headed hound you will get. Breed for a silent trailing hound and a more silent trailing hound you will get.

Since the rules have now changed to give the silent dog a better advantage, the more you will see dogs being bred to obtain the silent trait. You see it all starts in the breeding pen and then the trainers work to hone the skills of that trait to work to their advantage to win a hunt.

There is no reason now what so ever to NOT allow any canine to participate in a coon treeing contest like is being offered in 2020. Desired traits are now out the window, it's now leaning simply toward the dog that trees the most coon, regardless of how they get it done.

Which one has the ultimate advantage with the rules of today, the silent, the babbling idiot or the honest "coondog"? And why please

Old Post 01-01-2020 12:42 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Clovis I think Foxounds and Deer Hounds are a good subject. Down here in the South a good deer hound is a prize to have. But like coon hounds, they come in many different packages. The owners do also.

Back 50 years ago I fox hunted before I coon hunted. I went to coon hunting because I felt it was a better sport because no matter what a man said his dog was doing. You could walk to a tree and see what the dog was doing. It was a dogs performance backed up by facts in a tree at the end.

I hate to say it, but now 50 years later. There is as many ghost coon hunting as there were ghost fox. Probably a lot more. It just pays a lot better. LOL

The thought of some running hounds that allow me to just sit in the buggy and call them in when they cross a road if I am ready to go. Is starting to sound like a plan.

Old Post 01-01-2020 12:45 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

Get struck and have a coon at the end is all I know.

Old Post 01-01-2020 12:49 PM
yadkintar
Banned

I hunted under pretty much the same current rules in anouther kc. Babbling did not do you any good unless you had a really fast back packer. I hunted a dead last ( not silent ) strike dog ( because that’s all was left rather quickly lol ) but she was indifferent treed coons as she came to them. Most babblers cover to much ground to quick especially in a group of other babblers. By time they heard her treed they either got there to late or didn’t come at all. She with the no leash lock cleaned up behind and to the side of them. This young dog I got which is her half brouther is going to be just like her.

Tar

Old Post 01-01-2020 12:55 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

I love fox hunting but you got to hunt in a foxpen now of days. And if you want to see some cheating dogs go to one and you'll see it. Sometimes I think about getting me some beagles and pretend I'm running a fox in a 10 acre area. And just sit by the fire listening to them.

Old Post 01-01-2020 12:57 PM
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

Out of all the good foxhounds I've seen run over all these years the early 1980's was the hay day. There was some fine hounds back then. And by the end of the 80's was the last of the outside fox hunting and the beginning of the cutting speed demon pen dogs

Old Post 01-01-2020 01:13 PM
Albert Fulton
UKC Forum Member

Back in the day ,if a man had a dog that would bark when the cast cut loose , he would shove dirt in his dogs mouth on the start. That way he was to busy running and spitting dirt to bark. 😀

Old Post 01-01-2020 03:48 PM
Albert Fulton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Albert Fulton Click here to Send Albert Fulton a Private Message Click Here to Email Albert Fulton Find more posts by Albert Fulton Add Albert Fulton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Two minus and scratched in 30 yards will make you learn how to untrain a babbler.

Tar

Old Post 01-01-2020 04:51 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Their is a rule, use it. If they start out with 100 minus right off the bat and you can't beat them, then you had better get another dog.

Old Post 01-01-2020 06:07 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Their is a rule, use it. If they start out with 100 minus right off the bat and you can't beat them, then you had better get another dog.

You try and minus them when all of them but yours is babblen and they ain’t waiting no minute to strike them either.

The white elephant is in the room you want to know why a lot of old doggies ain’t attending hunts ? Because they earned their money in tuff times and they ain’t gonna spend it listening to a bunch of babblen dogs all night blowing through the country. Because they came from a time when they knew the difference and it wasent tolerated because the kc’s were afraid of offending paying costumers.

Tar

Old Post 01-01-2020 06:33 PM
Adams, Harold
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Do handlers train a dog to tree too quick or slick tree?
Do handlers train a dog to open on a track too quick or babble?

Which is worse, a slick tree'er or a babbler?

a babbler..... I don't see as good as I once did stationary targets easier than moving!!!!

Old Post 01-01-2020 11:33 PM
Adams, Harold is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adams, Harold Click here to Send Adams, Harold a Private Message Click Here to Email Adams, Harold Find more posts by Adams, Harold Add Adams, Harold to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ARCOONHTR
UKC Forum Member

Babblers

quote:
Originally posted by Albert Fulton
Back in the day ,if a man had a dog that would bark when the cast cut loose , he would shove dirt in his dogs mouth on the start. That way he was to busy running and spitting dirt to bark. 😀
Mr Fulton this made me lol I have seen a lot of m I would like to give a dirt sandwich. And Cory I hate them suckers also. I think tar hit the nail on the head as I am old enough to have had the pleasure of owning several well balanced hounds that were a pleasure to hunt and hunted with a lot that I didn’t own. I think the disconnect between the older hunters and the nite hunts now is what we all or a high percentage considered faults in a dog now are accepted even encouraged. We’re those kind of dogs around 30 years ago sure they were but it was not tolerated the way it is now and the rules were applied more heavy handed for the most part. If a guy wants to settle for a babbling idiot barking all over the woods or a silent speed demon averaging 20 mph on the Garmin blowing through eighty acres trying to ambush a coon more power to him those dogs have and will win a lot of casts but I don’t think the hunts were originally designed to reward that dog.

Old Post 01-02-2020 02:07 AM
ARCOONHTR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ARCOONHTR Click here to Send ARCOONHTR a Private Message Visit ARCOONHTR's homepage! Find more posts by ARCOONHTR Add ARCOONHTR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Guys

The difference then and now are as follows: 1. Today a lot of the winning dogs have owners that say, he's a winner, but I can't stand to hunt him. 2. Back then, a guy that had a winner says, I love hunting this dog. 3. If I can't say, that I love hunting that dog, I would never own him NO matter what he could or has won. I love this Sport of coon hunting, both pleasure and competition hunting, BUT I will not own a counterfeit, one that barks at nothing, mine better smell a coon when they bark, I don't care what yours is doing. Dave

Old Post 01-02-2020 02:54 AM
Dave Richards is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

Take any young dog when your starting it. Cut a dog loose hold young dog back and pet him up until he’s going crazy barking about 30 drops in a row and bingo you will have one that leaves barking and never shuts up. If they slow down on the barking repeat the process. There ya go I’ve told everyone how to steal a first Strike. Now putting the Plus points on the end of it is a different deal. Someone somewhere is training a dog to babble nightly. 99% of these babbling 100 strike dogs are man made. Go to the bank on it. When I started Demon I thought I needed that 100 strike so I man made it. Dad took him for 2 weeks and almost shocked him steel mouthed. Turned out the less he was barking the more coons he was treeing.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Old Post 01-02-2020 04:50 AM
Team Mafia 2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team Mafia 2 Click here to Send Team Mafia 2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Team Mafia 2 Find more posts by Team Mafia 2 Add Team Mafia 2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Dalton, I tried that last night with my pup. It didn't work. I must not have done it right.

Old Post 01-02-2020 02:21 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Dalton, I tried that last night with my pup. It didn't work. I must not have done it right.

Old Post 01-02-2020 02:21 PM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Richard everything takes longer with a Redbone

Old Post 01-02-2020 02:28 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Y'all run into a lot of babbling dogs at all these hunts? I only see a few here and there. I must be lucky....

Old Post 01-02-2020 03:50 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Team Mafia 2
Take any young dog when your starting it. Cut a dog loose hold young dog back and pet him up until he’s going crazy barking about 30 drops in a row and bingo you will have one that leaves barking and never shuts up. If they slow down on the barking repeat the process. There ya go I’ve told everyone how to steal a first Strike. Now putting the Plus points on the end of it is a different deal. Someone somewhere is training a dog to babble nightly. 99% of these babbling 100 strike dogs are man made. Go to the bank on it. When I started Demon I thought I needed that 100 strike so I man made it. Dad took him for 2 weeks and almost shocked him steel mouthed. Turned out the less he was barking the more coons he was treeing.
After two pages of bull ---- we finally got a true answer to the original question.

Old Post 01-02-2020 04:04 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote