UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Is The Purina Race no longer?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Mtn Tough Engl
UKC Forum Member

Is The Purina Race no longer?

I was told that UKC was no longer doing the Purina race after 2019. Has anybody else heard this. If there not then why go to others breed hunts or state hunts. I was going to Grand American but if this is the case I’m canceling my reservations. I love the bigger hunts but I liked running the Purina hunts also. I hope the information I got is wrong. Also when you look at the adds for Grand American and Winter Classic I was told it did not mention anything about Purina.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-29-2019 02:57 AM
Mtn Tough Engl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mtn Tough Engl Click here to Send Mtn Tough Engl a Private Message Click Here to Email Mtn Tough Engl Find more posts by Mtn Tough Engl Add Mtn Tough Engl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prime Time 29
UKC Forum Member

I just heard the same thing and was wondering too. I have always enjoyed watching the Purina race unfold and now enjoy competing in it.

GRNITECHHOF PKC CHAMPION ‘PR' PRIME TIME OUTLAW JESSE JAMES HTX3
2019 6th Place UKC World Championship
2019 Purina Race National Leader

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!!!
–- Wyatt Earp

People accuse me of being color blind. The truth is I will hunt red ones, blue ones, black and white ones, yellow ones, black and tan ones, or even brindle ones; Just as long as they are English!

Old Post 12-29-2019 07:01 AM
Prime Time 29 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prime Time 29 Click here to Send Prime Time 29 a Private Message Click Here to Email Prime Time 29 Find more posts by Prime Time 29 Add Prime Time 29 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mtn Tough Engl
UKC Forum Member

Yep they just put a point system in for show dogs which is good but take the one away from hunting dogs. Don’t make sense.

Old Post 12-29-2019 06:48 PM
Mtn Tough Engl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mtn Tough Engl Click here to Send Mtn Tough Engl a Private Message Click Here to Email Mtn Tough Engl Find more posts by Mtn Tough Engl Add Mtn Tough Engl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fatherof4
UKC Forum Member

Wonder what the reasoning is behind that? I know several guys that just chase the Purina hunts. And yes, I like following the races as well. A good friend of mine usually has a dog or two in it every year.

Ch GrNiteCh. Ch. Ramey's Oakwood Woody
PR Ramey's Crockett Rose
NITECH CH PR Hardin-Williams Spider
PR Ramey's Lute

Old Post 12-29-2019 08:34 PM
fatherof4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fatherof4 Click here to Send fatherof4 a Private Message Click Here to Email fatherof4 Find more posts by fatherof4 Add fatherof4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, is this true? I wonder why Allen hasn't replied to this?

Old Post 12-31-2019 02:52 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

In this case it looks like no news is bad news.

Old Post 12-31-2019 06:22 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cleo
UKC Forum Member

Are the dogs being shown required to hunt?
I saw a post about it, but can't find it. Looks like a big payout

~A man is only as good as his word~

Proud home to;

'PR' Kentucky River Fly Again (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen)
ACHA CHT x3 Broken Roads Little Texas (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
CH Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Rowdy Lil Miss (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Meabie I will (Lipper's Rooster x Missy)
Broken Roads IMA Boomer2 (UKC NATL GRCH GRNTCH Honest Abe x Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom
~~~~~Watch out!~~~~~
They just might make an IMPACT!

and the girls...Punkin and Tater!

Gone by never forgotten ~ Fly high my beautiful angels
~ GRCH GNTCH PKC SC Toucan Sam
~CH Toucan's Ugly Betty
~ CCH CH Southforks September Rain
~ Martin's Daisy JJ (what a beautiful litter you left behind)
~ Luke, the lab who brought us so many doves and ducks over the years
~ UKC GRCH,ACHA CH 2014 LWCH 2014 2 x's ACHA YOUTH WCH AKC CH AKC CH 'PR' Kentucky River Mundar ~ (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen) DNA Profiled ~ Fly high, old friend.

"The WILL of God will never take you where the GRACE of God can not protect you!"

Old Post 12-31-2019 06:51 PM
Cleo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cleo Click here to Send Cleo a Private Message Find more posts by Cleo Add Cleo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Surveyor
UKC Forum Member

They confirmed on their Face book page yesterday that the Purina race has in fact been discontinued. Sad day for the sport.It's going to hurt major event entries a lot I think. I personally had a whole list of breed days and State hunts I planned to hit to chase Purina points, but now whats the use?

2 time world finalist, 10th overall and high scoring Bluetick of the 2010 UKC World Coonhound Championship
NASHOBA VALLEY PIAZON, (RIP)
his littermate brother
UKC NT CH SHEPPARDS NORTHERN
BLUE LONER (RIP)
UKC GR NT CH RATTLERS BLUE SKY (RIP)
UKC Gr NT CH, PKC Ch Sheppard's Northern Blue Abbie, (PiazonxSky) UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Sheppards Northern Blue Punkin (PiazonXAlice) High scoring Bluetick of the 2015 (50th anniversary) Grand American, 2017 National Grand Nite Champion of breed, 2017 BBOA zone 4 Nite hunt dog of the year. Queen of hunt on 2019 Grand National Bluetick Reunion, 5th place and High Scoring Bluetick of 2019 UKC world Nite hunt Championship, 2019 Triple Crown Winner.
UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Mckintosh's Blue Flame Chopper
Gr Nt Ch Sheppards Northern Blue Goomba (Piazon X Dizzie) 14th place 2017 UKC world coon hound championship 100 purina point cast wins in 2018
and several other blueticks of lesser accomplishments

Old Post 12-31-2019 09:12 PM
Surveyor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Surveyor Click here to Send Surveyor a Private Message Click Here to Email Surveyor Find more posts by Surveyor Add Surveyor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

It will really hurt the State Championship hunts. The Purina Race was all that was keeping them going.

Jen, Jason and Tarbaby, I guess that y'all got your wish. You complained enough to get them cancelled.

Old Post 12-31-2019 09:35 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, I just went to Facebook and read the fine print. I know now why Mr Gingerich didn't answer. They took the money from the hunting program/race and they are going to give it to the show dogs. I guess that Purina folks decided that the show dog people would appreciate it more and not gripe and complain like some of the hunters did.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 12-31-2019 at 09:48 PM

Old Post 12-31-2019 09:44 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
It will really hurt the State Championship hunts. The Purina Race was all that was keeping them going.

Jen, Jason and Tarbaby, I guess that y'all got your wish. You complained enough to get them cancelled.

I don’t know about that Corey got a letter today from the treeing walker assn wanting to know if we wanted to host a hunt. I think they gave out purina coupons at ada okla.

I think we got our big hunt so they wanted to include the bench show people also it’s only right. I still got enough money to buy a sack of Purina a every two weeks no biggie.

Tar

Old Post 12-31-2019 10:43 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prime Time 29
UKC Forum Member

After several people voiced their concerns yesterday on Facebook about the Purina Race, Here is what I learned:
1. UKC nor Purina will tell us, supporters, why that the Purina Race was canceled.
2. UKC does not believe this will hurt them. They informed me that the tournament of Champions would help ease the pain of the loss of the Purnia Race, and we are all in this together.
3. There will not be any replacement for the Purina Race.
4. Hunters, myself included, believe this will help us save tons of money. Now we only have to get five UKC cast wins, including an RQE, and we are now qualified for all the big UKC promotional hunts.
5. Hunters, myself included again, believe that this will cripple state hunts and the smaller breed days, and they will mostly draw local dogs.

I know I will eventually get over my disgust with this situation and how it was handled. I will continue and always have been a UKC and Purnia Supporter. It is just bad business when the hunters don't have a voice. When hunters are complaining, that they signed up for a hunt (Grand American) to try and get a jump on the Purnia Race, and no one even informed them that the race was canceled. This is just part of my opinion and how I see it. How hard would it have been to do a press release? JMO

–- Wyatt Earp

People accuse me of being color blind. The truth is I will hunt red ones, blue ones, black and white ones, yellow ones, black and tan ones, or even brindle ones; Just as long as they are English!

Old Post 12-31-2019 10:50 PM
Prime Time 29 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prime Time 29 Click here to Send Prime Time 29 a Private Message Click Here to Email Prime Time 29 Find more posts by Prime Time 29 Add Prime Time 29 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:

Seriously you think 3 people bringing to attention a format that eliminated some of the top dogs from across the country got the whole thing thrown out?
Did it ever occur to you that it has been replaced by something even bigger.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 12-31-2019 11:13 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
Seriously you think 3 people bringing to attention a format that eliminated some of the top dogs from across the country got the whole thing thrown out?
Did it ever occur to you that it has been replaced by something even bigger.

Maybe we had a little somthing to do with it 😂

Tar

Old Post 01-01-2020 12:17 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark V.
UKC Forum Member

When only 40 dogs show up to the Purina nationals to hunt after Purina gives out over$10,000 plus promotional expense no wander !!! We as sportsmen shot our self in the foot!!

Old Post 01-02-2020 12:59 AM
Mark V. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark V. Click here to Send Mark V. a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark V. Find more posts by Mark V. Add Mark V. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T Felderman
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Mark V.
When only 40 dogs show up to the Purina nationals to hunt after Purina gives out over$10,000 plus promotional expense no wander !!! We as sportsmen shot our self in the foot!!

Mark I would have loved to hunt the Purina nationals. But as far as I'm concerned it was the hardest hunt UKC had to qualify for.

I also thought it was a mistake when they changed the format to breeds hunting against their own breeds.

Old Post 01-02-2020 01:34 PM
T Felderman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T Felderman Click here to Send T Felderman a Private Message Find more posts by T Felderman Add T Felderman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul Frederick
UKC Forum Member

I don't have any more information than anyone else about exactly why Purina pulled out of the Purina Race. I do know that Purina pulled out of their foxhound programs several years ago. I wondered at the time if Purina was possibly going to slowly pull out of all hunting programs to avoid negative publicity from anti-hunting groups. I'm not sure that's the case here but I doubt they would ever come right out and say that either.

Old Post 01-03-2020 02:21 AM
Paul Frederick is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paul Frederick Click here to Send Paul Frederick a Private Message Click Here to Email Paul Frederick Find more posts by Paul Frederick Add Paul Frederick to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J Cooper
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by T Felderman
Mark I would have loved to hunt the Purina nationals. But as far as I'm concerned it was the hardest hunt UKC had to qualify for.

I also thought it was a mistake when they changed the format to breeds hunting against their own breeds.

Todd,
Be careful telling the truth. You will be labeled!!

2021 UKC National Grand Nite Ch
' Indiana Outlaw'
Co owned with Alan Holding

PKC Ch Nite Ch PR Backwoods Okie

Old Post 01-03-2020 04:12 AM
J Cooper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J Cooper Click here to Send J Cooper a Private Message Click Here to Email J Cooper Find more posts by J Cooper Add J Cooper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug Johnson
UKC Forum Member

Kentucky has one of the later State Championship, it’s been held in late September for the last several years.
Last year, 2019, we had zero entry’s for the Purina Race in the hunt.
2018, we had one entry that was trying to seal up the breed race for the B&T’s.
2017 we had 3 entry’s and maybe 4 or 5 if I remember correctly in 2016.
Maybe it’s just our state hunt (because of the time of year) but it seems to have lost its followers.

Kentucky Houndsmen Assc. Inc.
kyhoundsmen.com

Old Post 01-03-2020 02:24 PM
Doug Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Johnson Click here to Send Doug Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Johnson Find more posts by Doug Johnson Add Doug Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

A race is needed now that we have the slam events maybe we could base it on yearly earnings and say have a top 50 hunt and get purina involved in that that would get hunters traveling.

Tar

Old Post 01-03-2020 02:33 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Mr Johnson, what were the total #'s for the Ky State hunt in 2016-2019?

Old Post 01-03-2020 03:22 PM
Prime Time 29
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Doug Johnson
Kentucky has one of the later State Championship, it’s been held in late September for the last several years.
Last year, 2019, we had zero entry’s for the Purina Race in the hunt.
2018, we had one entry that was trying to seal up the breed race for the B&T’s.
2017 we had 3 entry’s and maybe 4 or 5 if I remember correctly in 2016.
Maybe it’s just our state hunt (because of the time of year) but it seems to have lost its followers.

This statement is not valid, I know four dogs that were there trying to get points. Me for one, I did not get a CW (I never claimed to be good at this lol), a black and tan female that my buddies Lonnie Tackett and Gene Battiest owns and handles, and two other English dogs from TN (One owned by Jason Earls and the other by Phillip King). I don't know where your information came from, but those four dogs wouldn't have been there without the Purina Race. That is four dogs in my small group of people I know. I would say there was a lot more because I didn't talk to a lot of people because I was running late. Where did your information come from? I am just wondering how we four didn't make the count.

The Kentucky State Hunt needs to be moved to a different month altogether. If you go to Autumn Oaks, then the World Zones, and are blessed enough to make it to the World Finals, you are slammed through September. Then the KY State Hunt tries to follow those events. It makes it hard for a working man. Especially a working man that has to work weekends.

–- Wyatt Earp

Last edited by Prime Time 29 on 01-03-2020 at 03:35 PM

Old Post 01-03-2020 03:31 PM
Prime Time 29
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Mr Johnson, what were the total #'s for the Ky State hunt in 2016-2019?

The Purina race numbers he stated are not correct. I attended the last two years in hopes of getting Purina Points. I didn't make either of the years numbers that he listed. I am more interested in where his numbers came from. If these are the numbers that state hunts are reporting to UKC and Purina, no wonder the Race got canceled. Maybe I was supposed to notify someone that I was there for Purina Points.

–- Wyatt Earp

Old Post 01-03-2020 03:42 PM
wart
UKC Forum Member

Race

It looks like Purina no longer was interested in sponsoring the event Mr. Fredricks post states that.Arguments back and forth among hunters won't help anything

Old Post 01-03-2020 05:53 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AAThoundhunter
UKC Forum Member

Purina

Is the hunt canceled for the future, or did everyone that ran the hunts to get qualified last year for this years upcoming hunt run the roads for nothing?

Old Post 01-03-2020 06:17 PM
AAThoundhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AAThoundhunter Click here to Send AAThoundhunter a Private Message Find more posts by AAThoundhunter Add AAThoundhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote