UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Bloodline known for winding capabilities?
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ColdNose93
UKC Forum Member

Bloodline known for winding capabilities?

Has anyone owned or hunted with overtime any bloodlines that you have seen have good winding capabilities? If so how far would they wind one usually? I heard Skuna River bloodline has good winding capabilities has anyone seen or heard this as well?
Thanks

TK’s Skuna River Rock
TK’s Skuna River Roxy
TK’s Cayenne Pepper
TK’s Ole South’s Stylish Dixie
TK’s Ole South’s Stylish Black Betty
TK’s Backwater Sandy
Thomas Kimball
TK’s Training Program

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-17-2019 08:34 PM
ColdNose93 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ColdNose93 Click here to Send ColdNose93 a Private Message Click Here to Email ColdNose93 Find more posts by ColdNose93 Add ColdNose93 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ColdNose93
UKC Forum Member

Nobody seem much of this??

I know some of y’all over time have hunted with or witnessed a hound or a certain line that tends to have great Winding Capabilities. Winding from the leash... winding lay ups, winding a track from a good distance... anything like this.
Seems like nobody wants to discuss this topic Seems like everyone is more interested in TRee power instead of Track power.
Someone start a conversation on the subject at least.... lol
Thanks

TK’s Skuna River Rock
TK’s Skuna River Roxy
TK’s Cayenne Pepper
TK’s Backwater Sandy
Thomas Kimball
TK’s Training Program

Old Post 12-18-2019 11:52 AM
ColdNose93 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ColdNose93 Click here to Send ColdNose93 a Private Message Click Here to Email ColdNose93 Find more posts by ColdNose93 Add ColdNose93 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I have seen it in one or two Bone Collector dogs. But I haven't been around enough of them to say it was in that line of hound. I have also witnessed some track straddling in some Bone Collector dogs. Again, not enough different dogs to say that is in that line also.

I have two dogs that will flat nail one from a truck and they are a totally different lines of hounds.

I was coming back from a hunt about a year ago running 60 on a narrow black top road. I saw a coon dart across the road and by the time I had asked my co pilot if he saw the coon. The dog in the back went ballistic. But the truth is. In a situation like that. Conditions have to be right for that to happen, equal to or greater than the dogs ability. The coon probably just came out of a wet or damp ditch on the side of the road. As hot air rises and cold air falls the scent of the coon was probably being warmed by the hot summer night and rising at a fast rate. Actually this can be aggravating as my other dog, if he smells one close to where you had planned to turn out. You probably had better to somewhere else. Cause if you drop him near there and head him a different way. He will swing around and get on the coon he smelled from the truck.
Another time maybe a year or so ago. Allen P. who visits this board came over for a comp hunt one night and when when they got the dogs out and leashed up. His red dog and my dog went ballistic on the leash. The other two dogs were calm. About 50 yards or so in the trees in front of us sat a coon. Well the cast walked the dogs down a trail well past the coon before they cut loose. I was at the truck with another spectator. In about 10 or 15 minutes my dog and the redbone showed back up at the truck trying to figure out the coon that was up in the tree by the truck. I got to see two different styles of dog try to figure out this coon. My dog was more like a bird dog. He was swinging around making circles back and forth not barking, trying to find the coon track on the ground. Alans dog also had drifted out but hit the trail on the ground. And was trailing it back from perhaps a hundred yards away towards the tree where the coon was. Mine kept doing his thing drifting trying to figure out what he wanted to do with the coon they both had smelled. Finally my dog hit on the ground and their tracks came together and they treed. Thing is I can't remember if they treed together or separate and I am thinking one of them perhaps both were a tree or two away from where the coon actually was. Maybe if Alan reads this he can straighten me out there. It was just interesting to see two dogs trying to find a coon they both winded, using different skills to do so. It was obvious to me the red dog has more ability smelling on the ground but the results of both styles were about the same on that particular coon.

Old Post 12-18-2019 12:29 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ColdNose93
UKC Forum Member

Winding power

Thanks for taking your time and sharing that story Mr Conkey I wish I could have witnessed it with you sounds like them hounds put a smile on your face that night. If you don’t mind me asking the 2 you have right now that will nail one from the truck are they even walker dogs? It’s funny you mention one was acting like a bird dog. I was just curious yesterday what it would be like to cross the right line of “above average winding” bird dogs to “above average winding” Coonhound. I was thinking just a dash of bird dog so (3/4 Walker 1/4 Bird dog) or (7/8 Walker 1/8 Bird dog) What do y’all think would anybody want one? Haha

Anybody else have any stories I’m only 25 and I realize all the older Seasoned hunters will be gone if I wait around too long to hear about it.
Thanks
Thomas

TK’s Skuna River Rock
TK’s Skuna River Roxy
TK’s Cayenne Pepper
TK’s Backwater Sandy
Thomas Kimball
TK’s Training Program

Old Post 12-18-2019 02:09 PM
Ron Jackson
UKC Forum Member

If your into blue dogs, BLUE CREEK GET HOOKED is a winding dog and has thrown pups that are showing that trait. Check out is thread on Bluetick stud page.

Old Post 12-18-2019 02:16 PM
Ron Jackson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Jackson Click here to Send Ron Jackson a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Jackson Find more posts by Ron Jackson Add Ron Jackson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

I saw a red and white flag tailed walker standing on his back feet head up winding while on the leash, when unsnapped he went about 50 yds.with his head up and fell treed and had the coon. He was an open trailer but never opened on this one till he treed. The other dogs never knew this coon was there. He was a Finly River dog about 18 mos. old at the time.

Old Post 12-18-2019 02:27 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

They are both walkers. I think finding the consistency in any line of pups so that you could sell one saying they would be a winding type dog. Would be hard to do. The thing about our hounds is there is a lot of variations within a litter. More variations within a line and even more variations within the breed. Some have narrowed the variations down. But many have lost the purpose of the dogs, which is treeing coon. In an attempt to breed a particular trait in. Mine don't have to wind to tree coon. Actually for me, it is aggravating to have one start barking in the box when they do smell one, in my opinion. They just shut up and let me drive. I will take them to a turnout where they can go find a coon.

I have some pups that are six months out of my male that winds and runs with his head up. So far I am not even sure the pups will be worth anything. Couple in the litter that the owners showed them a coon said they weren't interested. Go figure as the Father was the easiest dog I trained in 50 years. Just open the dog box door and get out of his way. That is how he was trained.

Old Post 12-18-2019 02:39 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sfox91
UKC Forum Member

A male named frogger out of judge dredd would hunt with his head up in the air. Always liked that dog.

Old Post 12-18-2019 02:45 PM
Sfox91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sfox91 Click here to Send Sfox91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Sfox91 Find more posts by Sfox91 Add Sfox91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog2345
UKC Forum Member

I had a handsome Hank x Pacman female , male that I have seen couple times throw his head in the air and soon as you cut him he go seventy five or hundred yards across open field to a woodline and slam trees with a coon and not open on the ground but he is the only dog I have had that I have seen do that not sure if it was the house line or pac man side that showed this trait . All that litter could do that from what I was told

Old Post 12-18-2019 02:46 PM
treedog2345 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog2345 Click here to Send treedog2345 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog2345 Add treedog2345 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I have a female that will wind while she is on the lead but as soon as you unsnap her she goes to trailing. If you walk her past a coon, she will throw her head up and start winding. You can walk her a couple of hundred yards and cut her loose. She will immediately run back to where she was winding and start trailing.

Old Post 12-18-2019 03:03 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Am a big fan of the bone collector dogs. Have a male with bone on top an ratt bred on bottom. He will strick a coon at of the box going down the road. Walk on his hind legs while leading him . Have turned him loose an he will go tree an have a coon. If a coon is laying out on a limb it is good as treed. Lay ups is his thing. Certain times of the year he struggles. Makes me want too kill him . Late winter an spring is his best time. Little to much tree power at times. Most of the bone dogs I have hunted with have great winding ability.

Old Post 12-18-2019 03:11 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Sgraves that is what I was wondering about. I have one that is sure different than a lot of dogs I had as far as winding goes. Just wan't sure if it came from the Bone line or not. Watched him in the morning trail and go into a tree with his head up. Made me think was looking at the coon. What amazes me the most is. I have watched dogs check trees, come off and they come back and settle. Accurate dogs, checking themselves. I have seen the Bone dog run hard straight to a tree with his head up. Slam it with no hesitation and have the meat more times that not. I really think if a man lived to be 100 he would never see all the different abilities the different dogs have to offer. They sure aint all the same and a good one no matter what style is a good one.

Old Post 12-18-2019 03:21 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Bruce, I had another female once that would stay in one small area and just locate and locate and finally sit down and tree. About half of the time when she did this, the coon would be 1-3 trees over. I thought that she was crazy but she did it fairly close one night. I slipped in and she was moving around with her nose up in the air just locating. She eventually picked a tree and got on it and treed. She knew that the coon was up there somewhere but just didn't know which tree trunk to settle on.

Old Post 12-18-2019 03:33 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Sgraves that is what I was wondering about. I have one that is sure different than a lot of dogs I had as far as winding goes. Just wan't sure if it came from the Bone line or not. Watched him in the morning trail and go into a tree with his head up. Made me think was looking at the coon. What amazes me the most is. I have watched dogs check trees, come off and they come back and settle. Accurate dogs, checking themselves. I have seen the Bone dog run hard straight to a tree with his head up. Slam it with no hesitation and have the meat more times that not. I really think if a man lived to be 100 he would never see all the different abilities the different dogs have to offer. They sure aint all the same and a good one no matter what style is a good one.
Yes sir, Some will call that style dog a hot nosed pop up kinda dog . Here in North Mississippi the coon are bad about moving in the middle of the day not leaving a very good track for a dog when dark arrives. That’s fine because if they are laying out on a limb he will tree them. I love it when I am in a cast an the other dogs are bogged down in a certain spot. He will come in the middle of them an just fall treed an have the coon. He runs a decent track . Running through the woods with his head up is more his style.

Old Post 12-18-2019 03:39 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PlottDawg
UKC Forum Member

I've got a plott that can wind really well . When she gets a whiff of scent that head goes straight up and she kinda floats around till she gets the air figured out , once she does its a straight line to the tree . Always within a tree or to of the coon. Seen her do it over and over . Turned her loose in a field 1 night she threw her head up went 200yds across to the other side and had a coon. A good layup dog is fun to watch

Old Post 12-18-2019 03:58 PM
PlottDawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PlottDawg Click here to Send PlottDawg a Private Message Click Here to Email PlottDawg Find more posts by PlottDawg Add PlottDawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Bruce 40 years ago I hunted a lot with a male walker called Scout. No idea what his bloodline was but he could wind a coon going 50 mph down the road consistently. He road on the top of the box and lots of times we never got to where we intended to turn out because he would get struck. Sometimes he would get treed and the coon not be there so Kenny (friend who owned the dog) would light a smoke and see which was the wind was from, look upwind and 2 or three trees away would set the coon. Scout could tree squirrels faster than you could shoot them. Never touched one on the ground, as it was falling he was treeing another. Winded them all. Was bred several times and never had a pup that showed any of that ability. Also this dog did nothing till he was 2 years old. Kenny told me often that if he had not been a Christmas present from his wife he would have killed him.

Old Post 12-18-2019 04:53 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

I have seen this trait in Nance dogs, Sailor dogs, Hershberger dogs in the past, and more recently Yadkin River, Sackett Jr dogs, Coma, and Skuna River dogs. I have been lucky enough to often have this trait in my dogs throughout the years. My two current dogs both step out of the dog box and immediately their nose is in the air. i will cut them loose and they will do a semi circle around me to get to what the smell standing on the tail gate. In the winter it is common to see them running 15-20 yards downwind of where the coon tracks actually are.

I think it is more prevalent than many think. They just don't always recognize it.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 12-18-2019 07:37 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tug18
UKC Forum Member

Skuna river. Direct from Mr. Winston's kennel or out of the Blaze dog. Wont go wrong.

Old Post 12-18-2019 08:15 PM
Tug18 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tug18 Click here to Send Tug18 a Private Message Find more posts by Tug18 Add Tug18 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

The Cuz dog seems to throw this trait in his pups. We've had 4 different pups out of him and they'd all tree layups.

Hector Side throws this trait also. Seen several out of him that can tree layups. He's out of fighting side and a rat female. He's getting old at 11 now though.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 12-18-2019 09:09 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sfox91
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
The Cuz dog seems to throw this trait in his pups. We've had 4 different pups out of him and they'd all tree layups.

Hector Side throws this trait also. Seen several out of him that can tree layups. He's out of fighting side and a rat female. He's getting old at 11 now though.

I liked everything about my hector pup till he came up missing.

Old Post 12-18-2019 09:14 PM
Sfox91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sfox91 Click here to Send Sfox91 a Private Message Click Here to Email Sfox91 Find more posts by Sfox91 Add Sfox91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

coldnose93

I have a male walker that just turned 4 in nov. he has struck many times off the lead and from the truck this past sunday night he treed a coon i walked into him he had the coon, i put the lead on him and started walking out a different way he struck on the lead i turned him loose he went 120 yards out in a clear cut and treed had two coons.

Old Post 12-18-2019 10:48 PM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Re: Nobody seem much of this??

quote:
Originally posted by ColdNose93
I know some of y’all over time have hunted with or witnessed a hound or a certain line that tends to have great Winding Capabilities. Winding from the leash... winding lay ups, winding a track from a good distance... anything like this.
Seems like nobody wants to discuss this topic Seems like everyone is more interested in TRee power instead of Track power.
Someone start a conversation on the subject at least.... lol
Thanks

The type of dog you are asking about is not very popular. From my Experience an am hunting the type dog you want to know about. They are not a high end strick dog. Lord knows first strick at any cost is the thing these days.They will run a track, has to be the right track. Breeding has a lot to do if you can get both track minded an the style you want to know about. For the most part they will be a drifting style, fall tree kinda dog. I love to hear a dog strick a cold track an work it up an tree it . The dog you are wanting to know about will , but lay ups are his specialty. They are action packed kinda dogs .

Old Post 12-18-2019 11:26 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sfox91
I liked everything about my hector pup till he came up missing.

Man that sucks. Waylon has a litter out of Bed on the ground now. Just an fyi. The bitch is Ava. She's pretty tough herself.
I'd like to get a dog with Hec's talent for sure. Just not going to happen any time soon I'm figuring.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 12-19-2019 12:02 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

When raising pups I am on the look out to pick pups that have that natural inclination to wind which includes trailing...these type of dogs don’t run with their noses on the ground...
Many dogs will wind hogs and go to them when the scent is strong in the air...and these same dogs will not even put their noses up to the wind when the scent is hardly there...
But in that pack of dogs there are two dogs I watch closely because these two dogs can pick up hog scent from far away...they can make the attempt to find the hogs and when they get in the thick woods or brush they lose the scent and circle back and try again...what I will do is see exactly how the wind is coming toward us...sometimes it’s channeling and sometimes it’s skimming over the brush and over the dogs heads and when they get in the thick brush the scent is diluted...once I get the incoming direction of the wind I then move in that direction...it might be a quarter mile or half mile or more and these two dogs will be the first leading the pack to the hogs...

IMO...it is more a genetic trait than just nose power...the average dog needs a stronger scent before they click while the two dogs I am talking about require very little scent for their interest to click in...

One of my hunting buddies doesn’t slow down enough to look at the finer details...so even if he had dogs that can do what the two dogs I am talking about...the dogs would eventually learn to not pay attention to the weaker scent they encounter on account of the handlers hunting style...
For me it is about encouraging and conditioning the dogs to be the best they can be...

I just think one of these top coon dogs with great winding abilities would make an outstanding hog dog...probably as good as the best I’ve seen...my two cents worth🧐

Old Post 12-20-2019 08:37 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ColdNose93
UKC Forum Member

Winding abilities

Thanks for sharing your stories and opinions. got more feedback than I thought I would
I enjoy hearing stories of hounds that are very gifted With their nose. To me track power is more important than Tree power too many bloodlines have too much tree power I won’t throw out any names but I’ve seen and started several that come off today’s well known studs that just make better tree dogs than track dogs. Treeing is important, they do need to be able to tree and stay there. However if they can’t locate and run a track how are they going to tree in the first place?? Also why is a track solely judged by who opens first? Why 100 points for strike and 125 for tree in regards to nite hunts

What do y’all think?
Thanks

TK’s Skuna River Rock
TK’s Skuna River Roxy
TK’s Cayenne Pepper
TK’s Backwater Sandy
Thomas Kimball
TK’s Training Program

Old Post 12-20-2019 01:19 PM