UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > The thing about track dogs.........
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JiM
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by truly
From JiM:
"I think the only good way to judge a track dog requires you to have something to compare your dog to. It seems to me the easiest way to make such comparisons is simply which dog gets treed first AND HAS A COON"....

JiM, what percentage of coon that are treed in Indiana do you think were tracked to the tree? Compared to coon that are winded/located or some other version of a layup coon?

I think a lot of us that hunt in parts of the country where there is more tracking involved think that a fairly high percentage of Indiana [northern at least] are treed with little tracking involved. IMO I don't really consider it "tracking" if a dog gets treed within 100 yards of where it first opened. I mean, that coon could have been tracked, but many parts of the country a "track" would mean at least a 1/4 mile chase.

We hunt alone 90% of the time so that is why I approach these things from what I see in the hunts, that is where I make almost all my comparisons. And I don't see many locate/treed coons. The vast majority of coons I see treed in hunts involve a track being run.
I have covered a fair amount of ground over the years hunting in other parts of the country, not nearly as much as some but prolly more than many, and I long ago came to the conclusion that the regional differences are very overplayed. The differences in your area and mine will have far more effect on you and me than it ever will on your dog or my dog.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-25-2011 12:46 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

I definately don't agree that chop mouth dogs are faster than bawl mouth dogs.

I agree that a dog getting treed first is usually pretty quick about something. Just may not be tracking LOL. In thin coon it's prolly tracking. In thick coon it may just be tree checkin. It's going to be difficult to judge track speed just based on trees made. You don't nessissarily have to track a lick to tree a whole mess of coons in Indiana. It's also hard to judge track speed if the dogs ain't together. One runnin a hot track vs one runnin a cold one. One runnin a grown coon, one runnin a kit that pops up the first bush it comes to. I think you need to have other dogs to judge it against.

And furthermore, I am of the opinion that true track speed is extremely rare (at least what I call fast).

If you have ever had a truly fast track dog you will understand what I am talking about. You may be like me and spend the rest of your life judging every dog against that dog. A truly fast track dog will catch coon on the ground with some regularity. They will run tracks so quickly that people that don't know them will think they are on a different track than the other dogs, only to have those dogs trail in and tree with them 5 minutes later. They will be accused of running a deer cause they run off and leave everything else so bad only to see those others come in straggling on that same track after you have already went to the tree and seen the coon. They make ordinary dogs look slow.

I had one of those, she was a little bitty 35-40 pound black dog that averaged catching about 2 coon every month or two on the ground. Open track dog, squall/bawl mouth. She caught them in cornfields, open woods, rivers, creeks, mountains wherever. She caught them in NC, TN, KY, GA, and Illinois (Autumn Oaks she caught 2 on the ground that year). She was a true speed deamon. I have her daughter, and she's quick, but her momma was in a whole different league. Never saw a chop mouth dog that could keep up with her, but I will likely never own another dog as fast as her in my life either.

I guess what I am saying is track speed is an individual trait, that dogs daughter is a better all around coondog than her momma was, but even though she is better all around she doesn't have track speed like she did. Sure she's quick. She still gets her share of first trees even at the age of 11, she caught one on the ground when she was 9 in front of a 2 year old nice dog, but she isn't the speed deamon her mother was.

The fast dog I am talking about(and will likely talk about until I die myself) didn't look like a greyhound, didn't have long legs, was a small dog and just didn't look like the speed deamon she was and was squall/bawl on track. None of that mattered cause she wanted to catch whatever she was after and she even cold trailed with her head up (if it was cold she would put her head down from time to time but most of the time her head was up, not straight up, kinda about knee high or so).

So no I don't think you can simplify it as saying "this track bark is faster" or "this breed is faster" or "this build is faster" cause alot of it is in the desire to catch of the individual dog.

Last edited by Rip on 07-25-2011 at 01:01 PM

Old Post 07-25-2011 12:56 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

No offense Rip, because I respect your opinion as much as anyones, but I have noticed that the people who talk the most about how easy it is to tree coons in Indiana are people who seldom, if ever, tree coons in Indiana. Bring a dog that can't or won't work a track up here to Elkhart county and you will go home just as sad faced as you did back in Tennessee.

Old Post 07-25-2011 01:07 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

Jim, look at the list of places where she caught them on the ground.

On of those states was Indiana.

I have been there. Never had any trouble treeing coons up there (never had trouble treeing coons anywhere for that matter).

In all honesty there were more coons up there than we had squirrells and I had a solid week where we only got one good race. The rest were what I called "pop ups" that never went more than 100 yards or so to tree. That was in December/Jan right after Christmas.

I'm not sayin it's always like that. I'm just sayin that in those northern states the dogs don't have to run a track to tree coons because they are blessed with a coon population nice enough that a dog that just runs through the woods and checks trees can make several trees in a 2 hour nite hunt. It's not a bad thing. That dog has to get out and hunt to check those trees. It's just a viable way of treeing coons in thick coon, whether it be Indiana, Illinois, Tennessee or wherever there is thick coon (where I live now in Tennessee I consider thick coon so a dog that just checks trees here could tree a pile of coon without tracking too LOL).

I saw 17 coon in one nite hunt in Ohio. 17. Of course we won the whole hunt(my cast not my dog I was the first loser LOL), but that was unreal. 17 coon sittin up in a 2 hour nite hunt.

I forgot to put that in as a state where she caught one on the ground but she got one that night too LOL.

There are problems with areas of thick coon too. The dogs have to learn how to weave a single track out of all those they can smell and not get side tracked etc. Otherwise they will slick like crazy up there treein where the coon was and not where it is. I know about that too had a pup up there that slicked more that week than she had her entire life before that. She was so confuse her ears were smokin LOL

In all honesty I should have just said "thick coon" instead of Indiana, Illinois or whatever cause in some places in those states they have thin coon too. It's just that the midwest/north is synonomyous for "thick coon" to us folks that have grown up huntin in places that have one coon everybody in the county chases LOL. I'll try to be better about that in the future.

Last edited by Rip on 07-25-2011 at 01:22 PM

Old Post 07-25-2011 01:11 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

But Rip, if we are talking about coonhunting in east Tenn, lets say dog A is consistently coming treed with a coon ahead of dog B, night after night, would you not conclude that dog A was the better track dog? That is my point.

Old Post 07-25-2011 02:04 PM
Rip
UKC Forum Member

Well Jim you also have what I call "coon sense". Some dogs have it, some don't.

My brother owned a dog that you could turn him out on an interstate and he would find a coon. You literally could not dry hole that dog (you could in a hunt but not in real life where you can find the dog no matter how far away he was when he got struck), and to be honest he looked pretty dang good when folks would try to dry hole him.

He would find that blackberry patch, he would find the only cherry trees this side of 40, etc etc. He was just good at gettin to an area that held coons no matter where you turned him out at. When you put it all together he won his cast about 70% of the time just because he had what I called "coon sense". It didn't hurt that he was quick on track too but he would beat dogs on their own buckets cause he would get some of their pop up bucket coon and then get off by himself and get that one up on the acorn ridge that the guide didn't know was holdin acorns yet.

But I know for a fact he wasn't as fast as the little female I am talking about on track. That said she was only about a 20-25% cast winner in thin coon but that jumped up significantly in thick coon because her biggest fault was that she would hunt 30 minutes and check back in while my brothers male went till he got treed.

He was always fast about gettin a coon treed, wherever that was, but put them on a track together and she would beat him 90% of the time.

So he was much more consistant about gettin a coon treed no matter where you turned him out at, especially in thin coon, but she was a better and faster track dog.

Make sense?

Old Post 07-25-2011 02:53 PM
Dale Young
UKC Forum Member

A pup trainer is a measuring stick as I suppose other dogs you hunt with consistently would be also.

Seems like coon or rabbit hunting there was always that one dog we listened for to assure us we were running the right game and also took the lead . Knowing your dog tells you what kind of track and or conditions you;re dealing with. If you're close enough to hear the dogs you can usually tell who's leading and lining a track out versus some that bark a lot while working around.

Old Post 07-25-2011 03:56 PM
Dale Young is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dale Young Click here to Send Dale Young a Private Message Click Here to Email Dale Young Find more posts by Dale Young Add Dale Young to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
patches9452
UKC Forum Member

i have run what i believe to be the same coon 3 nights in a row now with multiple dogs each night... first night he went 8/10ths and got into a dozer windrow... second night ran thru a barn and lost him at 6/10ths in a cutover third night they ran him over a mile and we caught them crossing a road headed in to a freshly hit tornado blowdown that if they treed in i doubt they would have had him and that we could have got there if they did... the same dog led the track by the garmin all 3 nights and has had first tree on every other coon treed on in them 3 nights and also had last strike.... but as long as he keeps coming back to that silage pit i think i have one we can judge track speed on lol

Old Post 07-25-2011 05:00 PM
patches9452 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for patches9452 Click here to Send patches9452 a Private Message Click Here to Email patches9452 Find more posts by patches9452 Add patches9452 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dustin15
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by john Duemmer
A great track dog to me is the one that has his coon a high percentage of the time. Way to much credit is given to the good scorecard dogs that are consistent cast winners with 10 trees scored and 5 coon seen and 5 circled. FAST wins hunts, thats a fact of life as long as trees keep growing leaves, but to assume a first tree dog is a fast trackdog is flawed thinking. JMO

I'd much rather have one tree slick than run all night. I can correct a dog from treeing slick a lot easier than one runnig all might....I like fast

GR NITE CH PR' Tuff River Angel
GR NITE CH PKC CH PR' Tuff River Crank
RIP GR NITE CH PR' Marcum's Wild Solo (handler)

Old Post 07-25-2011 05:45 PM
dustin15 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dustin15 Click here to Send dustin15 a Private Message Click Here to Email dustin15 Find more posts by dustin15 Add dustin15 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l.lyle
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by dustin15
I'd much rather have one tree slick than run all night. I can correct a dog from treeing slick a lot easier than one runnig all might....I like fast

LOL. How are you going to correct a coon for running all night? That is a coons choice. If he won't follow a coon whever it goes he probably will tree slick among other things. Why can't he just give it up and come in if he knows he has been whipped. Why does he have to pull up on a tree and holler "come get me I'm Finished"? LOL Oh, you rather have a dog to pick off a slick tree. I get it.

Last edited by l.lyle on 07-25-2011 at 06:19 PM

Old Post 07-25-2011 06:12 PM
l.lyle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l.lyle Click here to Send l.lyle a Private Message Click Here to Email l.lyle Find more posts by l.lyle Add l.lyle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rghnd123
UKC Forum Member

You're kidding right

If he is pulling up short how do you know how long it would take the dog to get treed. Some dogs aren't smart enough to check the tree. The first time a coon taps he's hung up and won't go on. Track dogs are born not made. I see a lot of posts on here about a dog can slick if he is fast. I need someone to explain this to me. How many have seen dogs that would pull to a started track and seem to take the track away and the dogs locate real close together and the one that pulled was called first. Then turn the dog by himself and he couldn't get one started on his own. I've seen dogs that were called track stars. It would be an old bad track and have one dog opening here and there. The others in the cast would get behind and then sound like they were about to catch the coon just getting back up with the lead dog. Then when the dog that ran the coon located the followers would explode on the tree and be called track dogs. A track dog to me is one that can consistently tree coons year round in all types of situations and terrains. It helps to be quick but if they can't put a coon at the end they might be running and treein tree frogs.

Old Post 07-25-2011 06:33 PM
rghnd123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rghnd123 Click here to Send rghnd123 a Private Message Click Here to Email rghnd123 Visit rghnd123's homepage! Find more posts by rghnd123 Add rghnd123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Matt Mays
UKC Forum Member

Re: The thing about track dogs.........

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
The tough part of judging track dogs is that there is basically no way to accurately measure tracking speed. We use our ears but our impressions from that are effected by a lot of other things that mess up those judgments. For instance a dog that uses a lot of mouth on track gives the impression of being a much faster track dog than one that is very tight mouthed. The same thing greatly effects how quick they get struck. A dog that never says a word until the track is straightened out and moving will give the impression of being a much slower to find a track than a loose mouth dog that opens at the first smell of scent even though the first dog may, in fact, being finding the track sooner. I think the only good way to judge a track dog requires you to have something to compare your dog to. It seems to me the easiest way to make such comparisons is simply which dog gets treed first AND HAS A COON because getting treed first without a coon can't tell you anything good about a dog. But if one dog consistently trees ahead of the rest, that dog HAS to be a faster track dog doesn't it? Even if you have a dog that likes to get off alone, you still have other dogs that will go to that dogs track when he opens and throw in with him on that track. And if a dog takes that track and trees ahead, you know that dogs has got to be faster on the track.
For all the bad someone may think about comp hunts, the fact remains that if you see a dog out there that is consistently getting more first trees PLUSSED, that dog is prolly a superior track dog. Bottom line, the dog that is getting there first with the meat is surely getting there the fastest too. First tree dog equals fast track dog.

you said a mouth full.... i enjoy drawing out with dogs that hunt together for that reason.... granted i like mine to get by himself once or twice, but too many talk about how bad a track dog they got but in the same sentence state they're always deep and lonely, haven't figured that one out yet....

Old Post 07-25-2011 07:37 PM
Matt Mays is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Matt Mays Click here to Send Matt Mays a Private Message Click Here to Email Matt Mays Find more posts by Matt Mays Add Matt Mays to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dustin15
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by l.lyle
LOL. How are you going to correct a coon for running all night? That is a coons choice. If he won't follow a coon whever it goes he probably will tree slick among other things. Why can't he just give it up and come in if he knows he has been whipped. Why does he have to pull up on a tree and holler "come get me I'm Finished"? LOL Oh, you rather have a dog to pick off a slick tree. I get it.

i've never hunted in south carolina but here in indiana coon don't run all night...... what i'm talking about is a dog that runs all night while others are treeing coon.

Old Post 07-25-2011 07:41 PM
dustin15 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dustin15 Click here to Send dustin15 a Private Message Click Here to Email dustin15 Find more posts by dustin15 Add dustin15 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dustin15
UKC Forum Member

i really don't even know why i'm on here... i like a hot nose deep hunting dog that runs across hot tracks that they don't need to be a super track dog to tree

Old Post 07-25-2011 07:44 PM
michwalker
UKC Forum Member

lol

LOL!!!!

Old Post 07-25-2011 07:49 PM
michwalker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for michwalker Click here to Send michwalker a Private Message Click Here to Email michwalker Find more posts by michwalker Add michwalker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

A fast track dog on a good track is impressive. They run with the head up and will swing wide on a loose. I have seen those type hounds look terrible if the track isn't hot. In our country if a hound opens good on the ground and catches a few in the corn or soybeans there trying to run a track right. You'll go through many to find one that does this. Most don't have the ability or heart to get er done. Lots of folks will avoid crop fields because it turns into a boo tick event.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Old Post 07-25-2011 08:09 PM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l.lyle
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Rip
I definately don't agree that chop mouth dogs are faster than bawl mouth dogs.

I agree.

What is a chop tongue dog if it is not a cur? A silent dog is a cur. A choptounge dog so far in the evolutionary process is a dog that is on his way to becoming the type of full fledged hounds with bawl tounges on old tracks that houndsmen bred for for generations. I agree when a bawltongue dogs gets it worked up to hot he should get excited and show it by shorter bawls or chops and be moving fast. Of course, when a dog is a mile away it is hard to tell if he is moving at all even if he is covering all kinds of ground. So the reality shows have taken their tole on what people think they want. People think when they hear a beautiful long bawl that somehow that dog is standing on it's head. They want every dog, even if it has the potential to bawl, to just take off and stumble across a hot enough track to chop on and get it treed right now if not sooner. HA HA! get the throw off on Sooner? Probably NOT.

To clarify, I agee with RIP.

Last edited by l.lyle on 07-26-2011 at 09:35 AM

Old Post 07-26-2011 08:36 AM
l.lyle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l.lyle Click here to Send l.lyle a Private Message Click Here to Email l.lyle Find more posts by l.lyle Add l.lyle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
josh
UKC Forum Member

lol...This entire thread is proof of JiM's origional point.

A chop mouth might sound like it is really moving and tearing it up but inheirently faster? ....Seriously?

Old Post 07-26-2011 01:05 PM
josh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for josh Click here to Send josh a Private Message Click Here to Email josh Find more posts by josh Add josh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris.S
UKC Forum Member

This post proves what a friend and I discussed while hunting this weekend. Some people can hunt their entire lives and still have absolutely NO IDEA what a coondog is doing!

Old Post 07-26-2011 01:21 PM
Chris.S is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chris.S Click here to Send Chris.S a Private Message Click Here to Email Chris.S Find more posts by Chris.S Add Chris.S to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Chris.S
This post proves what a friend and I discussed while hunting this weekend. Some people can hunt their entire lives and still have absolutely NO IDEA what a coondog is doing!

Ok, but but do believe a dog that consistently trees ahead of the others is a better track dog or doesn't how quickly they can tree a coon tell anything about their tracking ability?
You are one who's opinion is worth listening to so I'd like to hear it.

Old Post 07-26-2011 01:29 PM
Rip
UKC Forum Member

Jim, I think to make that statement would be way too simplistic.

Way way too many variables. I believe it CAN mean that dog is a superior track dog, but I don't think it is synomous. Just depends on the style of that dog gettin treed the most and the conditions it's doin it in.

One of the fastest track dogs I ever seen was nearly silent, but some people thought the dog coudn't track or was hitchhiking and jumping in front to get a tree on dogs that were open mouthed.

A few corn field races showed them otherwise. That silent dog that folks thought was hichhiking was leading the race lots of times, just not saying anything.

Which goes to another old wives tale along the same line as "chop mouth dogs are faster". Many people think "silent dogs are faster track dogs". Mouth and track speed are two different things. I have seen good tracking silent dogs and I have seen poor tracking silent dogs same as I have chop mouth, bawl mouth etc.

Old Post 07-26-2011 02:11 PM
Lee Currens Jr.
Banned

take it to a cornfield see how long it takes him to get it
out.

Old Post 07-26-2011 02:26 PM
Lee Currens Jr. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Currens Jr. Click here to Send Lee Currens Jr. a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Currens Jr. Add Lee Currens Jr. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
josh
UKC Forum Member

Well, Im on board wiith JiM on this.

Rip, you are darn sure right about many variables which is exactly why the dog that trees the coon first is the better track dog.

Old Post 07-26-2011 03:44 PM
josh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for josh Click here to Send josh a Private Message Click Here to Email josh Find more posts by josh Add josh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by josh
Well, Im on board wiith JiM on this.

Rip, you are darn sure right about many variables which is exactly why the dog that trees the coon first is the better track dog.

So you are saying the dog that goes around the edge of a cornfield and never tracks a coon but checks trees until he finds one with hot scent on it is a good track dog? He can't be, he can be a coondog but if he doesn't track he can't be a trackdog. That style of dog exists, and does very well in thick coon at treeing alot of coon in a short amount of time, but he didn't track a lick.

Same thing for the track switching dog that can't really track, but will boo hoo on one til it gets a hot one and trees the hot one. Not really good at tracking, but is good about getting a coon treed.

Same thing for coon smart dogs I just talked about above. Maybe not the best trackdog in the bunch but can definately be the best coondog. Same can be said for a hard hunting dog in thin coon that gets more coon treed. Maybe he can't track good but he makes up for it by being wired 440 and making things happen.

Tracking is one component, and there are way too many variables to try and claim just cause one dog consistantly trees alot of coons it's a great track dog.

That would be the same as saying squirrel dogs are better track dogs than Mt Lion dogs, cause they tree way more squirrels than the Mt Lion dog did. I would think a dog that can track and tree a day old Mt Lion track in the dessert is a better track dog than my yorkiepom that trees squirrels by sight but trees a ton here in the back yard LOL.

The arguement is the same.

So if you are willing to claim that the dog that trees the most coon is a better track dog then you have to say that my yorkiepom lap dog is a great track dog.

Old Post 07-26-2011 03:57 PM
josh
UKC Forum Member

Geeze Rip, I thought this whole discussion was about dogs that are on the same track in the same area conistantly treeing ahead of other dogs.

Muddying the water with scenarios where we dont know the whole story is a poor way to judge anything.

Old Post 07-26-2011 04:28 PM