UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Don't you love it when....
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Leatherwood
UKC Forum Member

Don't you love it when....

Don't you love it when you get one treed and are home by 830pm? Lol that's living the dream in the Appalachian mountains. Most of the time I'm lucky to get to my dog at 200 yards within an hour in these steep mountains.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-24-2021 02:12 AM
Leatherwood is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Leatherwood Click here to Send Leatherwood a Private Message Find more posts by Leatherwood Add Leatherwood to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

I admire you for hunting in a place like that. I'd probably consider a different hobby if I lived there.

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
GRNT CH BLUES AMAZING GRACE
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 01-24-2021 02:18 AM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Leatherwood
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier Man1
I admire you for hunting in a place like that. I'd probably consider a different hobby if I lived there.

I'd be lying if I said there weren't nights I ask myself what in the world I'm doing.

Old Post 01-24-2021 04:22 AM
Leatherwood is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Leatherwood Click here to Send Leatherwood a Private Message Find more posts by Leatherwood Add Leatherwood to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mountains

quote:
Originally posted by Leatherwood
I'd be lying if I said there weren't nights I ask myself what in the world I'm doing.

Lol. I feel your pain, trust me it gets much harder the older you get. I know at 72, I do not hunt like I did at 62, usually tree a couple and call it a night, when younger hunted all night many times. Dave

Old Post 01-24-2021 04:33 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Dave Richards I will be 72 in May and like you no more all nighters but I do get to go more often now that I don't have all the other responsibilities. Lots of weeks I hunt 6 nights but only for 2-3 hours a night. I love it.

Old Post 01-24-2021 03:05 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Leatherwood
UKC Forum Member

God bless you men for hunting at that age. I hope that I'm fortunate enough to still be running dogs at that age!

Old Post 01-24-2021 05:44 PM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
God bless you men for hunting at that age. I hope that I'm fortunate enough to still be running dogs at that age!

God has blessed me with good legs and good lungs to allow me to hunt in these hollers. 6 weeks ago I messed my ankle up pretty bad. Just now able to go pretty good. Mad me think about how blessed I was. Now I'm not so sure about brains or maybe I wouldn't coon hunt at all, lol.

Old Post 01-24-2021 06:28 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Leatherwood
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
God has blessed me with good legs and good lungs to allow me to hunt in these hollers. 6 weeks ago I messed my ankle up pretty bad. Just now able to go pretty good. Mad me think about how blessed I was. Now I'm not so sure about brains or maybe I wouldn't coon hunt at all, lol.

All of us coonhunters have a screw or two loose. I'm sure of that lol. But it's in your blood I believe. Glad to hear you're on the mend and back at it young man! Lol

Old Post 01-24-2021 06:53 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Leatherwood/Tom

My hunting partner just turned 83 in Jan and was/Is one of the hardest coon hunters that I have ever known. He got Covid around Thanksgiving and has a real hard time getting over it, did not think he was going to live. Thankfully, he pulled through and is slowly getting better, but we have NOT gotten to go coon hunting in over 7 weeks. Hopefully, we will be able to go some before the season ends on March 10th in Virginia. We usually hunt 5 to six nights a week for 3 or 4 hours a night, that's about all we can stand hunting in these steep mountains. Unfortunately, the hunting all night days are over for us these days, but the love of coon hunting is still strong. GOD is great and has blessed us in so many ways, we are really thankful that my hunting buddy has finally beat the Covid virus, even though Covid put a big damper on our hunting this year. Dave

Old Post 01-24-2021 09:29 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Leatherwood
UKC Forum Member

Re: Leatherwood/Tom

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
My hunting partner just turned 83 in Jan and was/Is one of the hardest coon hunters that I have ever known. He got Covid around Thanksgiving and has a real hard time getting over it, did not think he was going to live. Thankfully, he pulled through and is slowly getting better, but we have NOT gotten to go coon hunting in over 7 weeks. Hopefully, we will be able to go some before the season ends on March 10th in Virginia. We usually hunt 5 to six nights a week for 3 or 4 hours a night, that's about all we can stand hunting in these steep mountains. Unfortunately, the hunting all night days are over for us these days, but the love of coon hunting is still strong. GOD is great and has blessed us in so many ways, we are really thankful that my hunting buddy has finally beat the Covid virus, even though Covid put a big damper on our hunting this year. Dave

Yeah 2020 was a crazy year. I hope 21 will be much better. If you ever want to hunt just let me know and we can get together and try to put one up. Ain't many coonhunters around here.

Old Post 01-24-2021 09:32 PM
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

Curious

What kind of boots do you guys wear in those hills....?

Old Post 01-24-2021 11:28 PM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Hardly ever wear rubber boots with chaps. Lace up hunting boots. If I have to cross water I just get wet, lol.

Old Post 01-24-2021 11:40 PM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Re: Don't you love it when....

quote:
Don't you love it when you get one treed and are home by 830pm? .

I've never been smart enough to tree one and go home lol. Even when I clearly should have last night.

Old Post 01-25-2021 01:04 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: Curious

quote:
Originally posted by Dan&Ann
What kind of boots do you guys wear in those hills....?

Leather lace up with aggressive soles. Donnie Stevens, I used to be like you and want to hunt longer, one more tree, you know the routine, but age and steep mountains make that impossible these days. Now we just hunt 2 to 3 hours every night. Dave

Old Post 01-25-2021 01:59 AM