UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Treeing Walkers > "Finley River" questions.
Pages (19): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DAVY FREEMAN
UKC Forum Member

ROBERT TELL ME A LITTLE MORE ABOUT YOUR YOUNG DOG. THE YOUNG FEMALE I POSTED ON HERE WHEN THIS WAS STARTED IS NOW A GRNTCH PKC CH AND BRED TO LIPPERS STYLISH RANK AT THIS TIME. I SURE WOULD LIKE TO CROSS HER BACK ON SOMETHING HEAVY FINLEY RIVER BRED IN THE FUTURE.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-11-2006 11:37 PM
DAVY FREEMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DAVY FREEMAN Click here to Send DAVY FREEMAN a Private Message Find more posts by DAVY FREEMAN Add DAVY FREEMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jones4
UKC Forum Member

Finley River

If anybody is interested I have 10 pups out of GrCh Mears Finley River Echo And Nitech Ch Jones' Bugeyed Screamer forsale. I have 4 that is not spoken for. $200

Old Post 08-16-2006 02:03 AM
jones4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jones4 Click here to Send jones4 a Private Message Find more posts by jones4 Add jones4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Russell Boyette
UKC Forum Member

Does Mr. Mears competition hunt his dogs these days, or is he breeding for a strictly showdogs?

I see alot of Finley River dogs these days, but not very many that resemble, or hunt like the old Finley River dogs were supposed to. I doubt that there are very many Finley River dogs out there these days, that are what their ancestors were.

(205) 712-4326

• PKC Ch 'PR' Triple X-Rated
http://www.hunt101.com/img/342861.jpg

• NITECH Beaver Creek Knothead
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n220/RBoyette/KnotHead-2.jpg

• Death Row Psycho aka "De"
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n220/RBoyette/Dee11-10-a.jpg

• 'PR' Skuna River Style
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n220/RBoyette/Stone2.jpg

**R.I.P.**
UKC NITECH - PKC CH
'PR'Beaver Creek Stylish Nellie
http://www.hunt101.com/img/369634.jpg

Old Post 08-16-2006 02:15 AM
Russell Boyette is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Russell Boyette Click here to Send Russell Boyette a Private Message Click Here to Email Russell Boyette Find more posts by Russell Boyette Add Russell Boyette to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GES
UKC Forum Member

Russell,
I don't know how much Lonnie Mears hunts these days and he does show his dogs a lot, but I think he still knows what a coon dog is and he's raised a few good ones in the past. My dogs have a lot of Finley River Dan/Finley River Joe in them and are more like the 'old' Finley River dogs.

Ruby 54501,
Do you always yell (!!!!)? Lonnie may have bred to a Rock dog, but you sure don't see much of it in his dogs today. As for Beckey, she was a decent dog when I hunted with her. I thought at the time, she wasn't any better than several Finley River dogs I knew about. Since I started with a direct son of GrNtCh Mears' Finley River Dan in 1977, I've had Finley River dogs for almost 30 years. I own a littermate to Dual Grand Reager's Finley River Drum and my NtCh Star dog has almost the same pedigree. I also have a GrCh Female off of GrNt Finley River Boomer and a grand daughter of Rickman's Finley River Boone. Going to raise a litter off a direct daughter of Zoom. Maybe you have more Finley River than I do??? I am glad to hear you have so many nice dogs from the Finley River strain, but I like mine that are generally a little long haired, open spotted, cold nosed, big bawl mouth on track and 60 bpm on the tree that has a coon in it. That is how they were when I started and I like 'em that way. Good hunting!

Old Post 08-16-2006 03:29 AM
GES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GES Click here to Send GES a Private Message Find more posts by GES Add GES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CooperCreek
UKC Forum Member

I believe John Monroe's Jack dog is probably the best bred out of the old line of Finley River hounds that are around today. He is right out of Lonnie.

I've got a pup out of him and a sister to Hayes Jr. that treed his second night out.

Old Post 08-16-2006 03:48 AM
CooperCreek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CooperCreek Click here to Send CooperCreek a Private Message Click Here to Email CooperCreek Find more posts by CooperCreek Add CooperCreek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brogy

Re: Re: WE NEED TO KEEP THIS BLOOD

quote:
Originally posted by Grant Noeske
I think a lot of people are moving back toward the Finley River and House lines to get more tracking ability. Just my 2 cents.

...And accuracy. Something the Walker breed started to get away from.

IMO There is nothing wrong with a dog ending up 2 sections over with a coon treed but it better have taken a track to get there. Too many Walkers nowadays are just blow thru the country and get treed to type coondogs which is fine for some but how many tracks did that dog go past to get that coon treed.
What I like about the Finley River dogs is that they aren't afraid to take a tough track, are generally good lay up dogs, and most importantly accurate. Combine that with a little Wild Clover breeding and you'll also have a dog that isn't afraid to go off by itself and has little more tree power.
Just my 2 cents.

Old Post 08-16-2006 04:00 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CooperCreek
UKC Forum Member

I've got a 6 year old out of Bellar's Saigon and a Finley River Bred Female.....

Man, you talk about a dog that can run tracks other dogs can't smell--and he makes it look easy.

Old Post 08-16-2006 04:28 AM
CooperCreek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CooperCreek Click here to Send CooperCreek a Private Message Click Here to Email CooperCreek Find more posts by CooperCreek Add CooperCreek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GES
UKC Forum Member

Blueticking it,
It is Harrod, not Howard. FR Joe was off of Harrod's KY River Jack and KY River Jill. GrNt Harrods KY River Chief was also from this cross. If memory serves me correct, Jack was out of Finley River Chief and KY Jill goes back to Carsten's Finley River Buck who is a grandson of Chief through Ailshie Ozark Dan which make FR Joe line bred FR Chief.

GES

Old Post 08-16-2006 05:25 AM
GES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GES Click here to Send GES a Private Message Find more posts by GES Add GES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RH.
UKC Forum Member

anyone know who the kentucky river rowdy dog is out of?

Old Post 08-17-2006 02:39 AM
RH. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RH. Click here to Send RH. a Private Message Find more posts by RH. Add RH. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lee Currens Jr.
Banned

ky river rock

Last edited by Lee Currens Jr. on 08-18-2006 at 06:23 PM

Old Post 08-17-2006 02:42 AM
Lee Currens Jr. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lee Currens Jr. Click here to Send Lee Currens Jr. a Private Message Find more posts by Lee Currens Jr. Add Lee Currens Jr. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
longshot
UKC Forum Member

I live about 20 minutes from the finley river that the dogs were named after. It use to be the best coon huntin in the world but is full of houses now and is suburbs of springfield mo.

Old Post 08-17-2006 02:44 AM
longshot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for longshot Click here to Send longshot a Private Message Find more posts by longshot Add longshot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GES
UKC Forum Member

Ruby 54501,
Where I come from an exclamation point (!) implies that you are 'saying emphatically or being loud'. I tend to use periods (.) when casually visiting with someone. I am glad Mike Reager (not 'Reader') told you all about me and my dog. I am sure he told you that he beat me and old Frosty in the RQE. His dog, Dual Grand Champion Reager's Finley River Drum, placed 9th in the Macon, MO RQE. He did it fair and square, too. I'm just glad after all these years of him hunting blueticks, he is now promoting a Finley River walker dog. I have a great respect for Lonnie Mears and all he has done for the Finley River strain. You are correct in that he has nothing to prove. Obviously, you know more about cold nosed dogs than I do, your coons are scarce, are harder to tree and you think my dogs are inferior to yours. I didn't even know the difference between long hair and thick hair until now. Thanks for all of the help and the invitation to come to the land of 'Real coonhunters'. For the record, I've only bred or raised about 5 litters of pups in 30 years. Most of my dogs are decendents of the late Mr. Bud Pantry's and Lonnie Mears breeding efforts. I must be keeping the culls........

George Shurvington
Toad Holler Treeing Walkers

Old Post 08-17-2006 04:37 AM
Travis Brown
UKC Forum Member

Robert that is probably one of the purest bred Finley River dogs left that's bred for hunt instead of show. Have you crossed him on any Finley River bred females? Where in Missouri are you?

Old Post 08-17-2006 09:40 PM
Travis Brown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis Brown Click here to Send Travis Brown a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis Brown Find more posts by Travis Brown Add Travis Brown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Russell Boyette
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Travis Brown
Robert that is probably one of the purest bred Finley River dogs left that's bred for hunt instead of show. Have you crossed him on any Finley River bred females? Where in Missouri are you?

I wouldnt mind breeding back to something that actually has some of the Finley River traits, but i dont care to breed to a show dog. Just because it says Finley River in front of the dogs name, doesnt mean it is a true Finley River dog. I once raised a litter of pups that went back to one of Lonnie Mear's longtime brood females Finley River Millie twice. Millie was linebred Finley River. Millie was bought by Benny Northam when Lonnie got a new stud and determined they were bred too close, and we still hunt her decendents today. She was the old type Finley River dog. With coarse hair, and she put on a "mousy-looking" coat in cold weather. Ruby, you are right. Mr. Mears has nothing to prove, but these new stock of Finley River dogs do. Looks like some of them would get to some competition hunters hands, and be winning like their ancestors did.

What dog is it you are speaking of, Mr. Brown?

(205) 712-4326

• PKC Ch 'PR' Triple X-Rated
http://www.hunt101.com/img/342861.jpg

• NITECH Beaver Creek Knothead
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n220/RBoyette/KnotHead-2.jpg

• Death Row Psycho aka "De"
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n220/RBoyette/Dee11-10-a.jpg

• 'PR' Skuna River Style
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n220/RBoyette/Stone2.jpg

**R.I.P.**
UKC NITECH - PKC CH
'PR'Beaver Creek Stylish Nellie
http://www.hunt101.com/img/369634.jpg

Old Post 08-17-2006 11:09 PM
Russell Boyette is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Russell Boyette Click here to Send Russell Boyette a Private Message Click Here to Email Russell Boyette Find more posts by Russell Boyette Add Russell Boyette to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
M Gusse
UKC Forum Member

I personally hunted with alot of dogs mentioned, and more not mentioned. I hunted with John Monroe quite a bit in the 80's and 90's, during those years he had Ace, Zoom, Dewey, Guuner, Molly, Junior, Sport, Ike, and many others. Allthough all these dogs could tree coons, I never really got into there style. It seemed to me The "finley river dogs" were kinda slow and deliberate. I myself at the time hunted Spring Creek Rock blooded dogs and they were quicker tree dogs, and just as accurate.

Then along came the "Stylish line" and they suited my style, quick on both ends, stylish treedogs, with big mouths once you got 'em broke off slicks they were hard to beat. Then arose Sackett Jr. and Nailor. Big! Big! mouth tree dogs!, that showed you a coon most the time. People, bloodlines change with the times for a reason, mostly to fit into the standing rules of the most popular kennel club at the time.

I myself loved the Spring Creek hounds but don't see myself going back anytime soon.

Old Post 08-17-2006 11:45 PM
M Gusse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for M Gusse Click here to Send M Gusse a Private Message Click Here to Email M Gusse Find more posts by M Gusse Add M Gusse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chiggers
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by M Gusse
I personally hunted with alot of dogs mentioned, and more not mentioned. I hunted with John Monroe quite a bit in the 80's and 90's, during those years he had Ace, Zoom, Dewey, Guuner, Molly, Junior, Sport, Ike, and many others. Allthough all these dogs could tree coons, I never really got into there style. It seemed to me The "finley river dogs" were kinda slow and deliberate. I myself at the time hunted Spring Creek Rock blooded dogs and they were quicker tree dogs, and just as accurate.

Then along came the "Stylish line" and they suited my style, quick on both ends, stylish treedogs, with big mouths once you got 'em broke off slicks they were hard to beat. Then arose Sackett Jr. and Nailor. Big! Big! mouth tree dogs!, that showed you a coon most the time. People, bloodlines change with the times for a reason, mostly to fit into the standing rules of the most popular kennel club at the time.

I myself loved the Spring Creek hounds but don't see myself going back anytime soon.

That is exactly my experience also. Those old Finley River Dogs were great in their time but imo they would be sucking hind tit these days.

Old Post 08-18-2006 12:23 AM
Chiggers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chiggers Click here to Send Chiggers a Private Message Click Here to Email Chiggers Find more posts by Chiggers Add Chiggers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis Brown
UKC Forum Member

Russell I was speaking of the dog mentioned above that was out of Leader and a female out of Lonnie and a littermate sister to Boomer. I hunted with Boomer years ago and he was nice. I hunted with some nice dogs out of Lonnie also.

Seemed like most of the Finley River dogs I hunted with weren't real flashy dogs that would impress you right off but were more the kind that would earn respect by being consistent night after night coon getters. Not the 130 bpm treedogs or the bust through 2 miles of woods in 20 min. type hunters. They hunted an area out good before they moved on, were good on an old track, and were accurate.

Old Post 08-18-2006 05:35 AM
Travis Brown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis Brown Click here to Send Travis Brown a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis Brown Find more posts by Travis Brown Add Travis Brown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Starke
UKC Forum Member

Chiggers

I don't want to sound like a know it all. You obviously have not hunted with all strains of Finley River or you would know some of them were track driving brutes. They are out there in the country, hunting during coon season, tied up during the summer. Thanks, Robert

Old Post 08-24-2006 11:28 AM
Robert Starke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Starke Click here to Send Robert Starke a Private Message Find more posts by Robert Starke Add Robert Starke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Starke
UKC Forum Member

FINLEY RIVER HOUNDS

Ruby stated GES was breeding for long/thick haired dogs. She then stated some FR bred dog names such as Jackson's Tom, Zoom, Rebel, Bill,etc. GES dogs go back to Jackson's Tom, Trap, Trap 2, Hobo, etc. I raised Trap's mother, FR Jane and Trap's sire, Karshner's Dancer. From this cross, some of Ruby's dogs and GES dogs descend. In that cross, I had short/slick and long/thick haired dogs that were littermates. That hair didn't stop Finley River Radar as he won the World Show. I have always bred for dual purpose hounds. Hounds that had plenty of eye appeal that would tree coons consistently track after track, night after night. If you do your homework, you can have it all in the FR hounds. You have to make the right crosses and give credit to several different strains of FR. Just an old country boys opinion, who likes a fast track,hard, accurate tree dog that is a fine looking hound.

Old Post 08-31-2006 10:34 AM
Robert Starke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Starke Click here to Send Robert Starke a Private Message Find more posts by Robert Starke Add Robert Starke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Starke
UKC Forum Member

Davy Freeman

I sent you a PM. Good hunting. Robert

Old Post 09-01-2006 12:02 PM
wkfii
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Chiggers
That is exactly my experience also. Those old Finley River Dogs were great in their time but imo they would be sucking hind tit these days.

Huh? Nailor breeding better than Finley River. The first Finley River hound that I ever saw was a little gyp who would flat out burn a track up with her head up. That was in the 70s. Accurate as well. Sucking hind tit? doubtful

Member of the NAADP

Track and Tree with Accuracy and Determination.

Old Post 09-01-2006 11:14 PM
wkfii is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wkfii Click here to Send wkfii a Private Message Click Here to Email wkfii Find more posts by wkfii Add wkfii to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Quick stop
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by wkfii
Huh? Nailor breeding better than Finley River. The first Finley River hound that I ever saw was a little gyp who would flat out burn a track up with her head up. That was in the 70s. Accurate as well. Sucking hind tit? doubtful

If they are so good how come they don't win anymore, at the national level.

Old Post 09-02-2006 11:38 PM
Quick stop is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Quick stop Click here to Send Quick stop a Private Message Click Here to Email Quick stop Find more posts by Quick stop Add Quick stop to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brogy

I feel the main reason you aren't seeing a lot of the Finley River dogs dominating the hunts is because most people are hunting the latest trend of dogs, dogs out of all the big name studs being advertised.
The F R dogs may not be as flashy but I'd rather hunt a F R bred dog just for pleasure than these other styles of dogs that just tend to blow thru the country and get treed and only have the meat 60% of the time.

Old Post 09-03-2006 02:47 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wkfii
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Quick stop
If they are so good how come they don't win anymore, at the national level.

I think that the competition hunts are good because they get and keep people involved in hounding and help support the sport in general. Plus, with the downfall of the fur market there has been some money (its really not enough) injected.

However, competition hunts are not determinative of hunting ability. Without, going into the pros and cons further, I state that if I have to haul myself up a steep hillside, there had better be some meat in the tree. Circle points just don't get it at that point.

Member of the NAADP

Track and Tree with Accuracy and Determination.

Old Post 09-05-2006 01:51 PM
wkfii is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wkfii Click here to Send wkfii a Private Message Click Here to Email wkfii Find more posts by wkfii Add wkfii to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bear
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by wkfii
I think that the competition hunts are good because they get and keep people involved in hounding and help support the sport in general. Plus, with the downfall of the fur market there has been some money (its really not enough) injected.

However, competition hunts are not determinative of hunting ability. Without, going into the pros and cons further, I state that if I have to haul myself up a steep hillside, there had better be some meat in the tree. Circle points just don't get it at that point.

Truer words have never been spoken!

Old Post 09-05-2006 02:02 PM
Bear is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bear Click here to Send Bear a Private Message Click Here to Email Bear Find more posts by Bear Add Bear to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote