UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > respect what happen to it
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Nick Koch
UKC Forum Member

respect what happen to it

So, it's hunting season. What happened to respect of other hunters during hunting the hunting season. If you coon hunted on private land would it be OK for someone Else to coon hunt that same land? Or should that individual find different land to hunt.

2018 Wisconsin state championship
In memory 'PR' Nocturnal Rocking Anniy
Nitech 'pr` Koch`s pop`em up Daisy
2019 heartland classic winner (4-wheeler hunt)
Qualifier for 2021 tournament of champions

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-23-2019 02:40 AM
Nick Koch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nick Koch Click here to Send Nick Koch a Private Message Click Here to Email Nick Koch Find more posts by Nick Koch Add Nick Koch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

If you both have permission then you can both hunt that land however I will never turn loose knowingly where someone else is already hunting.

Old Post 11-23-2019 03:31 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Nick Koch

It was ALWAYS an understanding in these mountains that you would never hunt some one else's hunting ground whether the land was theirs or someone else's land. It was considered their hunting spot and you only hunt someone else's spots when you are hunting with them. Going back to some one else's hunting spots was a no no and anyone that done so was frowned upon in a very bad way. Some of the younger hunters, certainly not all of them may not realize the taboo of doing this, the older hunters understood this practice and we all got along without this ever being an issue. Many landowners around here do not want just anyone hunting on their land, I am very cautious on who I take hunting with me and I make it clear that they are NOT to go back without me. Dave

Old Post 11-23-2019 03:37 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

Re: Nick Koch

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
It was ALWAYS an understanding in these mountains that you would never hunt some one else's hunting ground whether the land was theirs or someone else's land. It was considered their hunting spot and you only hunt someone else's spots when you are hunting with them. Going back to some one else's hunting spots was a no no and anyone that done so was frowned upon in a very bad way. Some of the younger hunters, certainly not all of them may not realize the taboo of doing this, the older hunters understood this practice and we all got along without this ever being an issue. Many landowners around here do not want just anyone hunting on their land, I am very cautious on who I take hunting with me and I make it clear that they are NOT to go back without me. Dave

Exactly. If you both know the land owner and you both have permission then it is whoever got there first that night but you never, ever go back to someone elses spot. You hunt it with them or not at all.

Old Post 11-23-2019 03:46 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

I don't think there should be an issue unless you both are cutting loose at the same time. Or if they cut loose into your dog type of thing, which has happened to me before. An issue could be that they shoot every coon treed though. I hunt several tracts of private ground that a few guys have permission to hunt but we're all friends. And the owners know we're all friends.

But just a spin on it from the other side. Is the guy new to the area? Did the landowner source out another hunter to kill off more coons?

Some of the issues we've got today is people thinking they should be the only ones hunting an area. Just like deer hunters thinking coon hunting runs deer out of the area for that year. Do I like being the only guy that hunts certain spots? Absolutely but if I don't own it I shouldn't get upset if another hunter wants to hunt it.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 11-23-2019 03:48 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Eric DePue

We ALL have what we call common hunting spots, places where we know that several different hunters hunt and that's okay. We ALL have certain spots that we call our hunting spots, spots that we have a bond with the land owner, places that the land owner trusts YOU and does not want others to hunt there unless you are with them. No one wants to lose hunting spots due to some a hole going back without permission, having the landowner mad at you because you brought them there to start or thinking it was you that left a gate open or turned loose at 2am when they were asleep. Some of us have spent years building s good working relationship with the landowners and do not want that relationship damaged by inconsiderate or disrespectful hunters going back to a place you took them. I know when they go to bed and don't hunt there after a certain time at night, I know not to drive on certain ground, etc. I know how much game can be taken without over killing the population, these are some of the reasons that we should respect others hunting spots. I have hunted over 50 years and this practice has served me very well, as it has my fellow coon hunters, it's known here in the South as RESPECT. Dave

Old Post 11-23-2019 04:22 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: Eric DePue

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
We ALL have what we call common hunting spots, places where we know that several different hunters hunt and that's okay. We ALL have certain spots that we call our hunting spots, spots that we have a bond with the land owner, places that the land owner trusts YOU and does not want others to hunt there unless you are with them. No one wants to lose hunting spots due to some a hole going back without permission, having the landowner mad at you because you brought them there to start or thinking it was you that left a gate open or turned loose at 2am when they were asleep. Some of us have spent years building s good working relationship with the landowners and do not want that relationship damaged by inconsiderate or disrespectful hunters going back to a place you took them. I know when they go to bed and don't hunt there after a certain time at night, I know not to drive on certain ground, etc. I know how much game can be taken without over killing the population, these are some of the reasons that we should respect others hunting spots. I have hunted over 50 years and this practice has served me very well, as it has my fellow coon hunters, it's known here in the South as RESPECT. Dave

I understand that part. I was trying to get more information from Nick. Because I was curious if it was a spot that he was the only 1 who had permission. Or if it might be someone new to his area that is looking for spots to hunt. And there's an issue with people saying or implying that no one else should hunt "my spots". People complain about not being able to hunt spots because of deer hunters when we as coonhunters do it to each other too. There's 2 sides to every story. This time of year I try hunt state ground only. Keeps my private spots intact and keeps the dogs and myself out of trouble.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 11-23-2019 05:54 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nick Koch
UKC Forum Member

The person is new to the area renting. Me and the land owener said no hunting. I showed the person two big spots of public grounds about 10 min away with a lot of coon in. Thanks for your input

2018 Wisconsin state championship
In memory 'PR' Nocturnal Rocking Anniy
Nitech 'pr` Koch`s pop`em up Daisy
2019 heartland classic winner (4-wheeler hunt)
Qualifier for 2021 tournament of champions

Old Post 11-23-2019 10:25 AM
Nick Koch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nick Koch Click here to Send Nick Koch a Private Message Click Here to Email Nick Koch Find more posts by Nick Koch Add Nick Koch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Re: respect what happen to it

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Koch
So, it's hunting season. What happened to respect of other hunters during hunting the hunting season. If you coon hunted on private land would it be OK for someone Else to coon hunt that same land? Or should that individual find different land to hunt.

Around here lots of people hunt the same ditches. Don't bother me either way I feel that my dog should be good enough to tree the other Coon to that guys dog missed . With today's dogs going so far just how often do you get on somebody you don't have permission to be on? Could that be somebody else ditch?

Old Post 11-23-2019 01:30 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Most of what I've read on this post I agree with. I've been on both ends of the stick so to speak. That being the guy just getting started and the guy who has hunting spots he likes to call "his" though he has no ownership of 1 cubic inch of the spot he calls "his". Like many of you, I'm protective of "my" spots to hunt. Mostly because I'm extremely conservative when it comes to killing game. It's only on very in frequent occasions that I kill game to my hounds. Simply because it's worth more to me alive than dead. That's my choice.

Been struggling a bit lately. Got a young fella that is quite a deer hunter whose decided he wants to get into rabbit/Hare hunting. He's looking for help starting a pup and he has a young boy whom he bought the pup for. Shamefully, it seems my first inclination is always to say no. Yet as I've mulled this over and actually prayed about it, I'm reminded of my own beginnings. Had it not been for a 78 year old retired railroad engineer from Island Pond,VT my 48 year love affair with hunting hounds may never have happened.

If I'm fortunate I may have 10 good years left following hounds. Don't like the thought but it's reality. Had it not been for 3 men who were all at least 1 generation ahead of me I'd never known what has been a life long love affair with raising, training and hunting hounds. 99.9% of my hunting with hounds has occurred on someone else's property. I've always respected the property of others and thanked them for allowing me the privilege of free casting my hounds on their property.

I owe it to the generation that follows me to share with them the love that the generation before me blessed me with........and by the way.......it has been so very much more than just the actual hunt all these years. Respect is a learned attribute and we all have an opportunity to model it for others.......especially those younger than we are. I'm planning on seizing the opportunity to perhaps pass on the gift that was given to me. If we don't do a good job of handing off our sport, for many of us a way of life, it may become amongst those things labeled extinct. May it never be so!

Old Post 11-23-2019 02:25 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

Had a fella that wanted to hunt with me some. I took him several times and enjoyed doing so. Had a landowner call me and ask about him. I guess he was following up asking landowners for his own permission. Never hunted with him again. The landowner didnt let no one hunt but me or guys with me. Landowner didnt get upset with me but could have. He really thought it was humorous when he saw I was upset with the fella.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Old Post 11-23-2019 02:38 PM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

blueticker

Your example is exactly why most of us are reluctant to take a stranger to our hunting spots. Most folks have no idea of the years we have spent cultivating a good relationship with the land owners where we hunt. It's not as simple as getting hunting permission, it's about trusting you , that you will take care of their property and respect their conditions of hunting on their land. I never want a landowner thinking I done something wrong or betrayed their trust in me. I have some places where I hunt that will not let anyone but myself hunt, I can not even take someone with me. I personally think that anyone who goes hunting with someone else with the purpose of finding new hunting spots for themselves is a dishonest person and I have no use for anyone like that. Dave

Old Post 11-23-2019 10:50 PM
Ricochet17
UKC Forum Member

Or take a cast in there 1 time only to be asked later by the landowner how many did you get the other night when you were out to dinner with your wife. Gets to the point I'm hesitant on where I guide a cast anymore.

Old Post 11-25-2019 12:52 PM
Ricochet17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ricochet17 Click here to Send Ricochet17 a Private Message Find more posts by Ricochet17 Add Ricochet17 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

We really don’t have that problem because we have so much public hunting. If I am going to reward my dogs I go somewhere I don’t like to hunt to do it. Some of these guys will call wanting to go and if you show them where there are coons they camp out there till they are all gone. Got to where I just take them to the baddest jungle I got I know how to walk around stuff but when they are with me I don’t lol.

Tar

Old Post 11-25-2019 01:14 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We don't have this with coonhunters, but deer, bear, turkey hunting and bobcat trapping is bad. My husband has an orange Jeep that sticks out like a sore thumb. People are always parking beside him. This yr, someone went into one of his favorite spots and put bait out. He said there was no reason for it, there were acorns there and it was one of the best places he saw to hunt. He called the game commission and reported it. They posted it "baited area" so no one could hunt there.

Old Post 11-25-2019 06:07 PM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I just take them to the baddest jungle I got I know how to walk around stuff but when they are with me I don’t lol.
Tar

Oh my goodness, isn't the title of this post "respect and what happened to it"? If someone calls me that I don't like, I just don't take them hunting.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 11-25-2019 at 06:15 PM

Old Post 11-25-2019 06:10 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

It used to be

That if someone took you hunting, you just didn’t go back to there spot. It was respect. Just the other day I was talking to one of the landowners I hunt on and he told me that someone asked him to coonhunt it. I asked who it was and it was someone I had taken there. Lol. He told him I was the only one to be in there. Needless to say he won’t hunt with me again. Sort of a dick move if you ask me.

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 11-25-2019 06:16 PM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Mike Carder

That's exactly the kind of hunter that no one likes, sadly there are folks like that who only want to use someone in hopes of getting new hunting spots for themselves. What's even sadder, most of them do not see any thing wrong with behaving that way. Dave

Old Post 11-25-2019 07:03 PM
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

You hunt where you want...I’ll hunt where I want...

Old Post 11-25-2019 08:05 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rex Ridge
We don't have this with coonhunters, but deer, bear, turkey hunting and bobcat trapping is bad. My husband has an orange Jeep that sticks out like a sore thumb. People are always parking beside him. This yr, someone went into one of his favorite spots and put bait out. He said there was no reason for it, there were acorns there and it was one of the best places he saw to hunt. He called the game commission and reported it. They posted it "baited area" so no one could hunt there.
last thing I would brag about is being a snitch.

Old Post 11-26-2019 02:24 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
toe cutter
UKC Forum Member

Re: It used to be

quote:
Originally posted by MIKE CARDER
That if someone took you hunting, you just didn’t go back to there spot. It was respect. Just the other day I was talking to one of the landowners I hunt on and he told me that someone asked him to coonhunt it. I asked who it was and it was someone I had taken there. Lol. He told him I was the only one to be in there. Needless to say he won’t hunt with me again. Sort of a dick move if you ask me.
Ive had that happen before..

Last edited by toe cutter on 11-28-2019 at 03:55 PM

Old Post 11-26-2019 05:13 PM
toe cutter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for toe cutter Click here to Send toe cutter a Private Message Find more posts by toe cutter Add toe cutter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

And people wonder why this is a dying sport.....we see it with every kind of hunting and now with coon hunting. My gosh hunting land is nearly impossible to find so I understand the reason to hoard it, but geez how is someone starting out supposed to find a place to go?

I know you don't want someone honing in on your hotspot, but if they man up and go ask permission and are granted it, you have your landowner to blame, not the hunter. They are just trying to enjoy the woods and their dogs just like you. If you want soul exclusive hunting rights do what everyone else does and buy 50 acres and post it.......have fun running your dog on the same 50 night after night.

I often wonder at what point in history did hunting become such a "me" sport. 50 years ago, people just went hunting, and if someone was in a spot, you went someplace else......now its me me me, mine mine mine.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 11-26-2019 08:37 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

toe cutter

"Do unto others as you would have others do unto you". Some folks just don't have any moral compass at all. Unfortunately, we all are going to run into someone like you described in your post, having nothing more to do with folks like that is the best course of action. One rotten apple can stink up the whole barrel, just be careful who you take hunting, if they don't have anyplace to take you hunting that should put up a red flag. Dave

Old Post 11-26-2019 08:46 PM
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Exactly

quote:
Originally posted by ole hoss
You hunt where you want...I’ll hunt where I want...

Exactly, just go hunting. 😂

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 11-26-2019 09:07 PM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

I don’t care where anybody hunts, I pull up and see a truck I just go down the road and cut loose. Hope you tree a dozen of em. Don’t care if you shoot them out. People should encourage others to hunt. Not discourage

Old Post 11-26-2019 10:28 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote