UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > UKC Free Classifieds > Coonhound Classifieds > Blueticks: Stud Dog and Kennel Promotion > Bogue Chitto Blues
Pages (87): « First ... « 82 83 [84] 85 86 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Big Buck

Thanks Mark and Merry Christmas to you and yours. Merry Christmas to everyone. I finally got a good buck this morning. Been hunting at the farm and had killed a 4 point a couple weeks ago. This morning the cold front was roaring in so I went back to hunting the old fashioned way, from the house watching the yard. A Doe was out above the kennel at 6:30. I walked out on the porch to look at her again just before 7 and was just in time to see a big buck come out of the woods less than s hundred feet from the kennel. He was looking at the doe as I slipped in the house and got my .280 Ruger off the couch and put a bullet in it as I went back out on the porch. The doe took off behind him to the woods and he whirled and started after her. There was a couple trees and a lot of limbs between me and him but it was now or never. Got him in my crosshairs and pulled the trigger. Down he went. Perfect shot behind the shoulder. Big heavy horns and nine inch long tines. Cayden is coming all of next week and I hope I can help him get one. Still several big bucks at the farm so my season isn’t over yet. Bo has been looking real good the few times I’ve took him. Josey treed with him the other night. Josey has a million dollar mouth on him. He is going to be a fun project for my first Treeing Walker and I believe he will make a fine hound by the time we done.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-25-2020 02:07 AM
steve bankston is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steve bankston Click here to Send steve bankston a Private Message Click Here to Email steve bankston Find more posts by steve bankston Add steve bankston to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Bo

Cayden came last Sunday and our first evening in the shooting house we had a nice buck come out and he shot him. The buck was a Freak, one horn growing up like normal but the other side grew straight down. Really cool buck for Caydens first and I’m getting it mounted for him. I’ve been busy skinning deer this year as me and the boys are filling the freezer. Been hunting Bo some the past month and he is rocking. Doing the best he’s done in about two years. I finally figured out what his problem was and been giving him something everyday for two months. It’s got him back to the way he was as a two year old. Can flat fly on any type track now and get treed with the Coon. I was about done with him and just going to hunt ROXY and start Josey but me and Bo might give it one more shot. Hoping he keeps rolling and this fix last the rest of his life. Truly a pleasure hunting him again.

Old Post 01-03-2021 02:33 AM
steve bankston is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steve bankston Click here to Send steve bankston a Private Message Click Here to Email steve bankston Find more posts by steve bankston Add steve bankston to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

River Outlaw Josey Wales

Took Josey Hunting by himself for the first time the other night, 7 months old, and he Treed a double. Huge Bawl mouth on track with a monster Locate. Knocked one of them down to him. The next night he Treed 2 singles. Last night he Treed another single and I shot that one down to him. 3 nights of hunting, 4 trees made, 5 Coon seen, 2 shot, 7 months old. Off to a great start with my first Treeing Walker Pup. I’m definitely not True Blue. Love any hound with a great mouth and the ability to get the job done fast. Might be starting a thread on the Walker side before long and shutting this one down. Josey got me excited in how he’s going to progress and what the future holds for us.

Old Post 01-07-2021 02:21 AM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Great Deer Season

I killed a big 11 Point Saturday evening. My third buck of the year and I helped Cayden get his Freak Buck and Mason get his first deer at 10 years old, a big Doe. I also missed a 7 point last month. Seen and passed up dozens of deer including a smaller buck just after 4 Saturday evening that came out an hour sooner than the big one. I have him on my trail camera several times this season including Saturday morning at 4:33 when he came back into his core area for the day. When he went to come out of it after 5 that evening I shot him at close to 200 yards and he got his picture took one more time as he went by my camera at 6:22pm and fell dead a hundred feet further. Having to buy a new freezer next month because the two I have are full and I’m slaughtering a steer in March. As long as the power don’t get shut down by the democrats destroying this country, we should eat great the entire year of 2021 and save a ton on grocery bill and not support Wal Mart. They neck deep in corruption with the democrats and China. Plenty spineless republicans I can throw in with them to. I hope everyone is as ready to fight as I am. Killing those deer just got my trigger finger itching more.

Old Post 01-11-2021 07:21 PM
southernthunder
UKC Forum Member

sounds like you are having an amazing deer season. I'm glad that you are getting to spend precious time with those kids. Larry and I take his grandkids with us hunting and they love it. I've been taking a teenage kid that has never been. He needed something different to occupy his time lol.

Southern Thunder Bluetick Kennels

At Stud: GRNITECH PR HAMLIN'S BLUE WHIP
PERFORMANCE SIRE $300 STUD FEE

HOME OF: GRNITECH GRCH PR HAMLIN'S DAVIE CROCKET HTX
2015 TRIPLE CROWN CHAMPION
2015 PURINA RACE BREED CHAMPION
2015 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITECH BLUETICK
2015 AUTUMN OAKS GRAND 16
2015 AUTUMN OAKS BBOA / BBCHA HIGH SCORING BLUETICK
2015 WINTER CLASSIC DOUBLE CAST WINNER PURINA POINTS EVENT
2015 WINTER CLASSIC BBOA HIGH SCORING BLUETICK
2015 ARKANSAS STATE PURINA CONTENDER CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE
2015 MISSOURI STATE PURINA CONTENDER CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE
2015 OKLAHOMA STATE PURINA CONTENDER CAST WINNER
2015 KENTUCKY STATE PURINA CONTENDER CAST WINNER
2015 INDIANA STATE PURINA CONTEDER CAST WINNER
2015 BBOA ZONE 7 CHAMPION / DOUBLE CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE / KING OF HUNT
2015 BBOA TEXAS STATE CHAMPION / HIGH SCORE / KING OF HUNT
2015 BBOA / WESTERN ENGLISH SHOOTOUT DOUBLE CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE / KING OF HUNT
2015 UNITED ENGLISH ARKANSAS STATE CHAMPIONSHIP CHAMPION / HIGH SCORE OVERALL CHAMPION
2015 BBOA YOUTH NATIONALS CAST WINNER 2ND OVERALL HIGH SCORE
2015 BBOA ZONE 7 HOUND OF THE YEAR
2015 BBOA/BBCHA GRAND REUNION RQE 1ST PLACE IOWA
2015 BBOA NATIONAL BLUETICK DAYS INVITATIONAL CAST WINNER / 1ST RUNNER UP
2015 ELBERT VAUGHN MEMORIAL CHAMPION
2015 BILL JACKSON MEMORIAL CHAMPION
2015 BOOMER SOONER CLASSIC CHAMPION
2015 WESTERN ENGLISH SPRING CLASSIS CAST WINNER
2015 OKLAHOMA STATE YOUTH CHAMPIONSHIP CAST WINNER
2015 BLUETICK CHALLENGE CHAMPION
2015 BBOA OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION / DOUBLE CAST WINNER / HIGH SCORE / KING OF HUNT
2015 UKC WORLD HUNT CAST WINNER
2016 PURINA NATIONALS CAST WINNER / BREED CHAMPION / HIGH SCORING BLUETICK
5 Time World Qualifier and 3 Peat Zone Champion
Too many wins to list them all
2020 Performance Sire at Stud
GRCH GRNITECH PR HAMLIN'S DAVIE CROCKET HTX

Thanks to everyone who has breed to Crocket or is hunting one of his offspring

Old Post 01-12-2021 03:49 PM
southernthunder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southernthunder Click here to Send southernthunder a Private Message Find more posts by southernthunder Add southernthunder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KYHoundDawg
UKC Forum Member

Re: Great Deer Season

Im right there with ya Steve!

quote:
Originally posted by steve bankston
I killed a big 11 Point Saturday evening. My third buck of the year and I helped Cayden get his Freak Buck and Mason get his first deer at 10 years old, a big Doe. I also missed a 7 point last month. Seen and passed up dozens of deer including a smaller buck just after 4 Saturday evening that came out an hour sooner than the big one. I have him on my trail camera several times this season including Saturday morning at 4:33 when he came back into his core area for the day. When he went to come out of it after 5 that evening I shot him at close to 200 yards and he got his picture took one more time as he went by my camera at 6:22pm and fell dead a hundred feet further. Having to buy a new freezer next month because the two I have are full and I’m slaughtering a steer in March. As long as the power don’t get shut down by the democrats destroying this country, we should eat great the entire year of 2021 and save a ton on grocery bill and not support Wal Mart. They neck deep in corruption with the democrats and China. Plenty spineless republicans I can throw in with them to. I hope everyone is as ready to fight as I am. Killing those deer just got my trigger finger itching more.

PR B&B Docs Buzzed Again

Past Hounds
PR Horsefly Hollow Pepper, passed with a 1st and HTX pass
GRCH NITCH PR Allens Nationwide Suckerpunch HTX
GrCH2 NITCH PR Brockman's Remington Clover HTX

GRCH GRNITCH PKC SCH PR Brockman’s Blue Buzz HTX (semen available)
BBOA
502-417-2086

Old Post 01-13-2021 08:20 PM
KYHoundDawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KYHoundDawg Click here to Send KYHoundDawg a Private Message Click Here to Email KYHoundDawg Find more posts by KYHoundDawg Add KYHoundDawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Turkey Season

Been some beautiful weather the past two weeks, temps in the low 80’s. Fish are biting great and I’ve been catching a bunch. Turkeys are gobbling and me and Mason going after them tomorrow and me and Cayden every day next week. He’s out of school for spring break. We will coon hunt every night to. Josey been looking real good, Roxy to. My Crash Pup, Jake, is 5 months old and had a loud mouth on him and a big find head like hounds from the old days. He’s smart and uses his nose a lot, always moving and busy. I will wait longer than usual to start him because of hunting Josey ad much as possible as well as Roxy. Haven’t been on here in a while, just busy with the farm and life on the river. Deer season was the best I’ve ever had. Bucks seemed to move much better this year than usual and watching the boys take their first buck and Mason get his first ever was just memories that are priceless. I’m making us a book from all our deer we killed this year and the ones on the trail cameras. Got a few road trips planned that I’m looking forward to. Especially as this weather warms up across the country and the coon moving good and the fish biting. Mark and Eddie, hope yaws deer season was great to and nothing like time spent with those grandkids or kids to keep us young at heart and looking forward to every new day and memories made with them. Hope yaw enjoying some good coon hunts as well, take care.

Old Post 03-14-2021 03:43 AM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Josey Wales

Been getting a lot of rain the past month and river has flooded several times. Didn’t get in the yard but was just inches away from flooding us. Been hunting my Walker Pup Josey pretty regular and he’s getting better and better. Whale of a tree dog anc is starting to work tougher tracks. I’ve had several dogs with real good mouths but none have I liked better than Joseys. Love his mouth and everything about him. Jake, my Crash pup, is 6 months old and is making a big fine pup. Always on the move and got a head full of brains. I’ve hooked him out and broke him to the lead and getting him jumping now. Will wait til July to start him, maybe a little later as I have my hands full with Josey and Roxy. Bo don’t get to go much but I enjoy Josey and Roxy so much I don’t mind leaving the ole boy at home. He will be 8 this June. Hard to believe the years have flown by so fast. Possibly breed him to Roxy in a year or so. Or maybe not. If Josey finished like I think and hope he will, I will be going in the direction of Treeing Walkers.

Old Post 04-11-2021 09:59 PM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Josey Wales & Rattlesnake Jake

Been a month since I’ve posted but nothing has changed with the River. It’s flooding now as I type this and I’m on river watch tonight to decide if I will start moving all my things out or not. It comes in the yard at 20.5 and it’s at 18.5 now, rising 4 inches per hour. They had shown it will crest at 16.8 then changed to 18.5. I will wait and see what it does over the next two hours and go from there. This had been an every week thing. Haven’t even got to fish this spring from all the rain and the river yo yoing. Only good thing about it is that it’s about to take the highway out at my place and the Corps, Feds, State, County and Media met with me last week and all agree something needs to be done now. They planning on putting rip rap rock on all my bank, a 2 Million Dollar Project that will hopefully happen this summer. That’s a blessing for sure. No more erosion to worry about or losing my home. Josey Wales, my Walker Pup, continues to make great progress and just turned 12 months old. I love this pup and looks like he has a home for life. He can move out a feeder track as good as anything I’ve had. As he gets more experience he should be an outstanding track dog. Got a great nose on him and don’t waste time scribbling dots on the garmin. Bo hasn’t been hunted in two months, maybe longer. Taking Roxy a little and she always looks sharp. Rattlesnake Jake, my Crash pup, will be 8 months old end of next week. He is as fine a looking Bluetick as you would want to see. Big broad head, big lanky long legged, dark colored. Shows all the signs he’s ready to start and I feel it won’t take much to have him running and treeing on his on. Haven’t shown him a Coon yet but as soon as the weather straightens out and it drys up a little, I’m going to get started with him. I’m going to get back into posting more on here and start back posting pictures and videos like I use to years ago. Facebook and me aren’t getting along and I stay in their jail more than out. Had enough of supporting something that is helping destroy the country I love and try to take us back to school and tell us how we should talk and mind our tongue while they let others go wild. Time to get away from them. After they kill all the hunting magazines and sites like this they will start telling you the things your posting on Facebook don’t meet their community standards and will start shutting down the hunting pages one by one. We need to get back to supporting our magazines and these forums or we will lose them forever. New pup coming soon I hope. I’m overloaded but I love them all and none are for sale. I will find a partner one day in good corn and coon country that will take one of these young guns to push and put us in the winner’s circle. Anybody that’s honest, hard hunter and looking for a deal like that with a well started young gun that can win, give me a shout and we will talk about it.

Old Post 05-13-2021 04:05 AM
KYHoundDawg
UKC Forum Member

Hope all works out with the river steve! Ivy is getting bigger but still has all the energy in the world! Eating me outta house and home though.

PR B&B Docs Buzzed Again

Past Hounds
PR Horsefly Hollow Pepper, passed with a 1st and HTX pass
GRCH NITCH PR Allens Nationwide Suckerpunch HTX
GrCH2 NITCH PR Brockman's Remington Clover HTX

GRCH GRNITCH PKC SCH PR Brockman’s Blue Buzz HTX (semen available)
BBOA
502-417-2086

Old Post 05-13-2021 05:28 PM
KYHoundDawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KYHoundDawg Click here to Send KYHoundDawg a Private Message Click Here to Email KYHoundDawg Find more posts by KYHoundDawg Add KYHoundDawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Josey Wales & Rattlesnake Jake

Thanks Mark. Hope all goes well with Ivy and she has you a good sized litter. Looking forward to the pup.

Took Josey and Roxy last night to Black Branch Swamp and they got pretty deep before they struck. It was a feeder track and in a lot of water from all the rain we have had. They trailed it out of the swamp to the edge of one of the pastures at my farm and it started getting better and better. Wasn’t long and they were rolling. Went down a creek and through some ten year old planted pines and Josey hit the tree one huge locate ahead of Roxy. They were on a big Red Oak and luckily there was an open trail not far from it so I could shine the tree because under it was a jungle. I found the Coon and figured it was a boar from the race it gave them. They haven’t had a coon since February and Josey being a pup and doing so great has definitely needed one lately. I lit up the limb he was on with the bright light and it must have burned his toes cause he slipped right on out to meet Josey. Best tracking and race I’ve heard in a while and was especially proud that I was listening to my two hounds that are one year old. Josey just turned a year last week and Roxy won’t be 2 until end of June. Took my Crash pup, Jake, with me to feed the cows this morning. He will be 8 months old next week and I haven’t shown him a Coon yet. It was a cool morning and I decided it was the perfect time to flip his switch. I took the dead Coon from last night and laid him a trail for a hundred yards then went back and cut him loose. He took right to it and came on the tree like a two year old. Treeing by scent not sight. I didn’t have to show it to him or shake it around to get him fired up. Natural born hate and desire to catch bred in. I took some pictures and videos and the pictures are super nice. He’s the best looking blue pup I’ve had since Briar. I will get on photobucket in a few days and figure out how to post on here again. Been years since I’ve done it and gonna have to refresh my memory. So now I’ve got three young dogs that will keep me going full time this summer treeing coon. Jake will make it no doubt in my mind. He comes from top top hounds that are coon tree’ers and reproducers. Need to find that good partner by this Fall so I can focus on pushing just one while someone else pushes the other. Already planning my road trips to different states I plan to hunt a week at the time. Making memories is all that matters.

Old Post 05-15-2021 12:06 AM
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

Iowa

If you make a roadtrip north next fall, slip on up and we can tree a few. I'm 3 hours north of Mr. Ed's and have plenty of coon like he does. Take care, Ron.

Old Post 05-15-2021 05:33 PM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Dry weather

Thanks Ron. If I come that way I will sure give you a holler and hunt with you a couple nights. I appreciate the invite.
Met with the Army Corps of Engineers, State, NRCS and the county a few weeks ago. The media was here and the story and me made the front page news of last Sunday’s paper out of McComb Ms. The Feds came back with the county Supervisor this Wednesday and had an Engineering firm with them. They going to do a 1.5 to 2 Million dollar project at my place here on the river. Armoring all the bank for two thousand feet to stop the river from blowing the road out. They estimate 6 Tons of big rip rap rock every foot. I have fought this river for years doing different things trying to stop it from eroding my place as much as possible and I definitely made a difference. I knew if I could hold on to it until it got near the road that they would have no choice but to do what they about to do. It’s a blessing for sure. They hope to have the project approved for construction from Washington within 6 months and then can advertise for bids. I’m happy beyond words and can’t wait to see the long reach track hoe move in and the tri axle trucks bringing in tons and tons of rock. I have 1,100 foot of river frontage and all of it will be rapped plus more in this project. The rain has finally got off us for the next two weeks and I already have the Jet Boat in the river. Time for some fun.

Old Post 05-22-2021 01:17 AM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Life

Haven’t hunted in a month because I had gotten sick and thought it was COVID but the test came back negative. Had me down for three weeks and slowly getting my strength back. Sold my crash pup, Jake, to Rocky and delivered him to Kentucky a few weeks ago. Just wasn’t in my heart to start a pup and feeling guilty not hunting what I got so did what was best for Jake. Also canceled getting a pup off Buzz and Ivy. Never backed out on getting a pup but just decided my giddy up ain’t what it use to be and I have to admit it and quit overloading myself with dogs. I have Bo, Roxy and Josey. Don’t hunt Bo much at all anymore. Will get back to hunting Roxy and Josey soon. Rain is still hitting us about every day and woods and swamps have as much water in them now as they did in March and April. My cows looking fat and happy. Had a couple Brangus calves born and got one more due next month. Sold a cow and a replacement heifer. Finally getting a little of my money back that I’ve spent the past year. If you think dogs are expensive to keep, get you a few cows and a bull. You can see money fly by your eyes every day as it leaves your wallet. But it’s fun and I enjoy doing it so guess I will keep feeding them. Enjoy life snd appreciate every day because it truly is a blessing to wake up free and do what you want to. Lot of things we take for granted including our health until something happens and you can’t do what you want to anymore. Treat your good friends as well as your best hounds and cull the ones that let you down. Life’s to short to settle for less than you deserve and would be willing to give of yourself. Made another trip back to Kentucky last week taking Beverly and her mom and dad to the Creation Museum and the Ark. It’s one thing to read about in the Bible but such an eye opening awesome experience to see an exact size replica of it in real life. Her dad is retired Navy Man 91 year old. World War II Vet. I did all the driving taking them in my truck and built a step stool for her mom to get in and out better and safer. We hauled her handicap scooter and rented her dad one and they was able to really enjoy the trip and the Ark and Museum. We were gone the whole week and it was a great time. Do something good for yourself, mom dad kids or grandparents and take them to the Ark for an all day or two day trip. It is well worth it snd you will be closer to God when you leave.

Old Post 07-19-2021 11:54 PM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Back at It

Heat wave is finally getting off most of us and me, Roxy and Josey got back after them last night. Rain was all around and just as it started to fall they slammed a tree almost 500 yards in the swamp bottom. It was a big den tree full of holes. As I came down the creek bank leading Josey a limb hooked my leg snd turned me a flip, right into the creek. My light flew off my head and was floating upside down, down the creek. I hit hard on my left side and my shoulder is still sore today but I will live. Stumbling more at night the older I get. Mr B H said when I get his age not only will the limbs trip you down, they will tie you up so you can’t get back on your feet, lol. Not looking forward to those kind of nights. Planning a trip to Southern Michigan in October. Anyone with any info about hunting that area I would appreciate hearing from you, thanks.

Old Post 08-02-2021 11:34 PM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Roxy

Roxy worked a good track over 500 tonight going down the slough in Cypress Bottom and put him up a cypress tree. Big coon and looked nervous so probably was a sow. Left her to run again. A touch cooler tonight, 78 when I cut loose and heat index of 78. It had been around 90 every night and that’s just to hot to hunt a dog. I always worry about one getting way deep in some bad stuff snd it taking a while to get to them. Over heating for the dog isn’t just an excuse, it’d reality and can be dangerous and deadly. Better to hunt in the early morning when it’s that hot. Planning on a road trip to southern Michigan in October. Anyone that’s ever hunted that area I would appreciate any info you could give me and other things to do in that part of the state. Does anyone know if Dave Deans Cabin could be viewed? Just to get some pictures of the outside maybe? I had always wanted to make that trip and meet him but never did and now it’s to late. Thanks for any info yaw can give me.

Old Post 08-05-2021 04:58 AM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Bo

Took Bo out last week for a short hunt. He’s overweight and hadn’t been hunted in quite a while but just a few minutes after being cut he was 700 yards deep and had the coon. He’s acting more energetic in the pen, even in all this heat, than I’ve seen him act in years. Been on that Strive dog food from tractor supply about six months or so. It’s made by Diamond and if got as high as Victor and Purina I would still feed it. Best feed I’ve ever fed by far. Unbelievable the difference in my dogs looks and actions on this feed and I feed them less of it than the pro plan anc they fat and slick as hogs. Cut them back so much I feel guilty the little bit I feed them twice a day. They had me hooked many years on Victor and Purina and paying the high price as the feed changed ingredients and my dogs didn’t do as good anymore. Like got to have a Harley Davidson instead of Yamaha or Kawasaki when they are much more dependable, way better gas mileage and cost half as much. Never have been a tight wad when it comes to feed for my dogs and only fed Victor Professional or Pro Plan but so so glad I made the switch. Hunting Josey by himself again and we making progress. Swam then today snd will each day for a while as I get them back in shape. Weather will be cooling off soon and we will be hard after them.

Old Post 08-14-2021 08:45 PM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Hurricane IDA

The heat finally broke and I’ve took Josey and Roxy a few times and they look pretty good for not being hunted much the past couple months. They treed one up a big oak in the muscadine vines the other night snd I knocked him out to them. First one they have had in months. Roxy don’t really care for them when they dead but Josey loves them. The heat broke but weather had a trick up her sleeve. Hurricane Ida is coming for us. We on the east side which is the worst side and we supposed to get 10 inches or more of torrential rain over a 36 hour period and close to 100mph winds. If it does as they forecast. I’m prepared as much as I can be. Sending Beverly to her moms and me and the hounds will ride it out together on the river. Also got the herd of cows now to worry about trees and limbs taking fence down. Praying the Lord don’t let it get as bad as they think and no one loses their life but that’s asking a lot. When Katrina hit she wasn’t as powerful as they say this one will be and Katrina didn’t have a lot of rain. We were without power for a solid Month. This one coming in stronger and lots of rain to soften the ground up, trees are going to be down everywhere. A disaster in the making if it plays out like they say it will.

Old Post 08-29-2021 12:21 AM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Coon hunting won't be a picnic after this thing blows through.

Old Post 08-29-2021 02:08 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Cat 4, Hurricane Ida

Well, I’ve survived the Cat 4 hurricane, Ida. Sorry to disappoint yaw but I’m still alive. Out worst weather came after midnight Sunday, early Monday morning on my Birthday. The eye was 40 miles to our west, the east side is by far the worst and it rocked us. We were ten minutes from the house because they were forecasting the river to flash flood and go to major flood stage. I had my tractor with the front end loader and my saws with me. The Stihl 660 Magnum is a beast snd I knew I would need her. After daylight Monday morning with the rains still coming down and wind still pretty high, I was on the tractor clearing roads. Cleared 12 miles of roads to get to my house and then over to the farm to check on the cows. We have as many big trees down ad we did in Katrina, it’s a mess. Looks like a tornado came through by the house because it’s worse than other places. Still without power and don’t know how much longer it will be. Hoping by this weekend. Thankful that none of us were hurt snd my cows and dogs are fine. One of my fine Brangus cows had a calf at lunch Monday on my Birthday. I named her Ida. Me and the hounds will stumble through the swamp and downed trees soon. All the trees I cut and moved all over, are covered in acorns. Wildlife going to have plenty to eat soon.

Old Post 09-01-2021 09:32 PM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Hot

Another hot day today. No power yet. I’m hearing it could be two weeks or longer. Poor folks in the hardest hit Louisiana parishes will be without power for months they saying. Pray for them because I can’t imagine we hat it would be like to loose your home, jobs, way of life and no power to anything anywhere for miles. I heard the mayor of New Orleans didn’t declare a mandatory evacuation so now insurance companies will Not have to reimburse all the expenses the folks have that fled the deadly hurricane. Expenses like hotel, gas, food, rental car or house etc. sounds like the mayor got paid and saved the insurance companies millions. Just a guess, probably wrong since politicians and Louisiana aren’t known for corruption. Hounds are ready to hunt but things have to be done before I can get back to hunting them. Having to dip buckets in the river to wash the kennel each day. Got a generator on my freezers to save all the meat, wish I had one to run the whole house. Those that are powered by a tractor is what I need. Checking the fences along the swamp today and fixing fence where the trees blowed down on it, saw a lot of small coon tracks. Looks like a good crop of them. The heavy rains from the hurricane washed off the Artifacts where I had used the bottom plow in a field a while back. Found a dozen points and scrapers in about 30 minutes. Got back injections a few weeks ago and will be getting neck injections soon. Hoping to get some relief so I can keep stumbling behind these hounds. Word of the Day, Petty. When Richard Petty got tired of someone’s BS, he put them in the wall. Dale Sr too. Miss the good ole days, some habits, good and bad, Never Die.

Old Post 09-03-2021 01:21 AM
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Power

We got power back Friday night. And slowly getting things cleaned up and burned so we can get back to normal. Been a hell of a year starting with the ice storm that knocked power out a week or longer and busted all the pipes under the house, moved out eight or nine times from the rain and threat of river flooding then Hurricane Ida. God has a reason for all that’s happening you can bet. My spots I hunt are a mess, trees and limbs down everywhere. When I finish cleaning up around house, farm and shop, then I can start on all my hunting trails. Mother Natures way of pruning the woods. Little cooler next week, not much but better than it’s been. Will be back to hunting Josey and Roxy. Looking forward to much cooler weather and some road trip north to coon country.

Old Post 09-05-2021 09:02 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Steve, Tommy, and I haven't been to the woods yet. We plan to check it out before we turn any dogs loose. The Hurricane passed right through the lease we hunt on.

Old Post 09-06-2021 01:35 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steve bankston
UKC Forum Member

Hurricane

Donald, I went hunting last night snd took my chainsaw with me. Good thing I did because I had 9 trees to cut out of the trail the first quarter mile. Yaw better do the same for a while and as you hunt and move around you can cut the stuff out your way as you go. Pretty big mess around here with trees down, tops twisted out, widow makes blowed over but hung in other trees. Not quite as bad as Katrina but pretty close. I saw the light poles they had to replace after Katrina was little over 17,000. Ida is over 30,000. Going to be a long time before Louisiana recovers from it. Yaw be careful out there and watch for downed power lines. Never trust that because they on the ground they should be dead. Treat it like a gun, always loaded. Lot of acorns this year. Water oak and white oak, trees loaded around here. Josey treed twice last night, looked at one. Other tree was big and he could have been there, just didn’t look. Pup has such a monster mouth on him I almost don’t care if a coon is up the tree or not, lol. He sounds that **** good.

Old Post 09-09-2021 01:16 AM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Steve, my biggest worry is dogs going up leaning trees.

Old Post 09-09-2021 03:29 AM