UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > One Minute Rule
Pages (6): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Imho

It should be ......1)you have to strike on or before the 3rd bark(no grace period) 2) if dog is struck in before 1 min mark, 25pts, after the 1 min mark it gets normal strike points.

In most parts of the country, not many casts tree a coon within that 1 min mark let alone actually strike a track within that 1 min mark. How often pleasure hunting does your dog get struck within the min? And how often do you get treed with the min? Not very often anywhere period. I don't find a barker to be a pleasure to hunt. And I have noticed the same thing on linebred dogs tend to be tighter mouthed than not. Can you train 1 not to be a barker, absolutely!!!!!

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-21-2018 08:18 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DFred
UKC Forum Member

Now we know who the ones are that want to change the rules to fit them!

Old Post 10-21-2018 09:05 PM
DFred is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DFred Click here to Send DFred a Private Message Find more posts by DFred Add DFred to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

sleepy head

what I should have said was opens several times in the first 30 seconds/ right off the lead if it's truly a coon would it be fair to say it's a good track? Would it be fair if a handler struck his/her dog in the first min. at the end of the first min. if the dog/dogs are not opening and carrying the track on to give them one more min. to open if they don't minus them?

Old Post 10-21-2018 09:05 PM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

sleepy head

what I should have said was opens several times in the first 30 seconds/ right off the lead if it's truly a coon would it be fair to say it's a good track? Would it be fair if a handler struck his/her dog in the first min. at the end of the first if the dog/dogs are not opening and carrying the track on to give them one more min. to open if they don't minus them?

Old Post 10-21-2018 09:06 PM
100%hunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 100%hunter Click here to Send 100%hunter a Private Message Find more posts by 100%hunter Add 100%hunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Billy George
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by berger
You guys are getting closer for what needs to happen. I would like to see the babbling rule disappear and the minus points with it. All dogs struck on or before the 3rd bark. Any dog struck in the first 30seconds of being cut loose would receive 25points. Dogs struck after the 30 seconds would be eligible for available points 100,75,50.

But Omer if a dog is struck in for 25,you cant advance over him so all dog would be struck for 25.... 🤣

PR B and B's Smokin' Willie

"PR"B and B's Coon Doctor
( Gr.Nite Ch.Bee Creek Dr.Max xGr.Nite Ch. Moonshine Maggie)

Past Home of:

Nite Ch. "PR"B and B's Smokin' Misty (2007-2018)

Nite Ch B&B's Black Hoss (1992-2003)

Nite Ch.Gr.Ch. Shaker Hill Mr. Grubbs (2003-2011)

Old Post 10-21-2018 09:34 PM
Billy George is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy George Click here to Send Billy George a Private Message Click Here to Email Billy George Visit Billy George's homepage! Find more posts by Billy George Add Billy George to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

100%, I've turned loose several times walking dog back to the truck because Dog strike on lead. My experience is, that it's just as likely to be a cold track. They raise cane on the lead bc they are restricted. To your ? , I have to be 100% sure before i call a babble. And the dog would most likely have to in sight. Guessing a dog is babbling is poor judging imo

Old Post 10-21-2018 09:43 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
berger
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Billy George
But Omer if a dog is struck in for 25,you cant advance over him so all dog would be struck for 25.... 🤣

Wellll Billy if the strike rule would be as I posted then the rules would have gotten changed and in this scenario you could.

319-201-8445

Old Post 10-21-2018 10:00 PM
berger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for berger Click here to Send berger a Private Message Find more posts by berger Add berger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
berger
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
What are you going to do with the dogs that strike and tree coon in the first minute. Many of y'all ideas punish these dogs if they are getting treed right out of the gate.

If you go read my post on my strike proposal for dogs that strike in the first 30 seconds. For the few times that you tree right out of the gate this would not punish any dog. Very likely all dogs would be struck in the 1st 30 seconds all would get the same strike. The dog that treed first would get awarded, all the other dogs would get less points. A cast win with plus points is a cast win with plus points you don't need high score anymore to place by the time these rules would be changed.

319-201-8445

Old Post 10-21-2018 10:08 PM
berger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for berger Click here to Send berger a Private Message Find more posts by berger Add berger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
berger
UKC Forum Member

Re: Imho

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
It should be ......1)you have to strike on or before the 3rd bark(no grace period) 2) if dog is struck in before 1 min mark, 25pts, after the 1 min mark it gets normal strike points.

In most parts of the country, not many casts tree a coon within that 1 min mark let alone actually strike a track within that 1 min mark. How often pleasure hunting does your dog get struck within the min? And how often do you get treed with the min? Not very often anywhere period. I don't find a barker to be a pleasure to hunt. And I have noticed the same thing on linebred dogs tend to be tighter mouthed than not. Can you train 1 not to be a barker, absolutely!!!!!

You can strike a coon almost anywhere in the northern states within a minute if you got a dog that goes hunting. You can do it regularly pleasure or competition. Now 30 seconds you almost never do pleasure hunting unless your treed right out of the gate. Dogs can easily be 400 to 500 yds in a minute and that is plenty of area to strike a coon.

319-201-8445

Old Post 10-21-2018 10:21 PM
100%hunter
UKC Forum Member

sleepy head

makes since.

Old Post 10-21-2018 10:29 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Imho

quote:
Originally posted by berger
You can strike a coon almost anywhere in the northern states within a minute if you got a dog that goes hunting. You can do it regularly pleasure or competition. Now 30 seconds you almost never do pleasure hunting unless your treed right out of the gate. Dogs can easily be 400 to 500 yds in a minute and that is plenty of area to strike a coon.

not sure what you mean by northern states. Mid-west, I agree. But not all areas of northern states have great coon populations. It bothers me when guys say well yeah its easy hunting "up north". Not all places "up north" are loaded with coons. ...Just saying...

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 10-22-2018 02:22 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

Re: Strike

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I agree with jkidd, a dog treeing on a separate tree should have 100 strike POINTS . We all know it was a different coon, just like we treat trees separately, how hard would it be to treat those strikes separately. We now have a double standard with trees and strike points, how is this fair? Dave

Mr. Richards that is a pretty good idea as well , all things considered.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 10-22-2018 03:03 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

Re: Strike

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I agree with jkidd, a dog treeing on a separate tree should have 100 strike POINTS . We all know it was a different coon, just like we treat trees separately, how hard would it be to treat those strikes separately. We now have a double standard with trees and strike points, how is this fair? Dave
i think if a dog trees a mile away on a coon should be scored in by the order it was called . say 25 if it was the forth dog treed . why give it a extra 100 points for treeing last ?

Old Post 10-22-2018 12:50 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tntelkhntr
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Strike

quote:
Originally posted by thomasg
i think if a dog trees a mile away on a coon should be scored in by the order it was called . say 25 if it was the forth dog treed . why give it a extra 100 points for treeing last ?

It ran it's own track and treed it's own coon. Why is that any different from the dog that treed first?? It did the same EXACT thing on a different coon. Why should a second strike, second tree, follow up me too dog score as much as a dog that ran a separate track? If the dog is a mile away or even shorter distances it was obviously first strike and first tree on that coon.

Last edited by tntelkhntr on 10-22-2018 at 01:23 PM

Old Post 10-22-2018 01:02 PM
tntelkhntr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tntelkhntr Click here to Send tntelkhntr a Private Message Find more posts by tntelkhntr Add tntelkhntr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Get a faster dog! Strike points is to award the fastest smartest dog.

Old Post 10-22-2018 02:15 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tntelkhntr
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004
Get a faster dog! Strike points is to award the fastest smartest dog.

That's just a nonsense answer. Cut the dogs and they go in different directions, one finds a track 300 yds and opens first and another finds a different track 600 yds in a different direction doesn't make the first one any faster or smarter, just luckier.

Old Post 10-22-2018 02:30 PM
tntelkhntr is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tntelkhntr Click here to Send tntelkhntr a Private Message Find more posts by tntelkhntr Add tntelkhntr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Well heck get a luckyer dog, look all this talk will never get a rule changed, not one person on here can tell me how to get a rule changed,Who do you send a rule change perposal to? Who is on the rules committee? Who put them on the rules committee, who makes the final vote, who put them in charge of the final vote?
That’s What You Guys Should Be Concerned about!

Old Post 10-22-2018 02:56 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Strike

quote:
Originally posted by thomasg

Oh my goodness, now that is a novel idea. The dog that trees a coon first gets 100 and the rest get less no matter where they are. Now that would sure change things around. Breeders and trainers would sure have to rethink things.

Old Post 10-22-2018 02:57 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Well I'm having a little problem agreeing with Mr. Richards and J Kidd on the issue of every separate tree certainly must be a separate track, thus getting rewarded 100 strike points regardless of actual strike position.

I say that because, in a lot of cases, ole Mr. 1st tree dog gets treed but is actually pulled up on a tapped tree, and the Me too movement piles right on with them, and Ole Mr. Brains of the cast is setting 50 to 75 yards away all by themselves, "with the coon" I might add.

Now that is not a separate track, but in reality just a smarter tree dog. What do you do when that happens????

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 10-22-2018 04:11 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

We used to have track and tree dogs back in the " good old days". Now in these modern times we only have tree dogs. Why is that? Why do hunters today only want tree dogs? Nobody wants to sit down and listen to a beautiful bawl mouth hound work a track. Nowadays they just want to run from tree to tree. They want dogs that run through the woods with their head in the air. "The dog that trees the most coons wins". Whatever happened to, "the dog that does the best job wins".

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 10-22-2018 at 04:37 PM

Old Post 10-22-2018 04:34 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Billy George
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
We used to have track and tree dogs back in the " good old days". Now in these modern times we only have tree dogs. Why is that? Why do hunters today only want tree dogs? Nobody wants to sit down and listen to a beautiful bawl mouth hound work a track. Nowadays they just want to run from tree to tree. They want dogs that run through the woods with their head in the air. "The dog that trees the most coons wins". Whatever happened to, "the dog that does the best job wins".

I have to agree with ya,anymore its all about alone and deep and how to reward him the most,and eliminating the competition by shifting the rules in his favor... jmo

PR B and B's Smokin' Willie

"PR"B and B's Coon Doctor
( Gr.Nite Ch.Bee Creek Dr.Max xGr.Nite Ch. Moonshine Maggie)

Past Home of:

Nite Ch. "PR"B and B's Smokin' Misty (2007-2018)

Nite Ch B&B's Black Hoss (1992-2003)

Nite Ch.Gr.Ch. Shaker Hill Mr. Grubbs (2003-2011)

Old Post 10-22-2018 06:14 PM
Billy George is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy George Click here to Send Billy George a Private Message Click Here to Email Billy George Visit Billy George's homepage! Find more posts by Billy George Add Billy George to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dave Mayles

Dave, separate trees does not always mean separate coons, but we score the trees separately and rightly so. We have to be realistic here, often dogs are treed on separate coons, why should one dog have an advantage on strike POINTS, just because it barked first. That would be like saying which dog treed first, regardless of separate trees. No one would like that, why should the strike POINTS be any different? Dave

Old Post 10-22-2018 06:46 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

When no dog is struck in, they're competing to see which dog finds a track first. When they strike different tracks they're no longer competing for the first tree. One coon might pop up and the other run a mile.

Old Post 10-22-2018 08:00 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

There is nothing wrong with the rule as is some just try to improperly enforce it in a way it isn't written. For instance, whether a dog strikes under the minute plays no barring in if it should be minused for barking or not. The babbling rule and 1 minute grace period are separate are two different rules. Minusing a dog for babbling rule, a dog may be minused at any time during a hunt for babbling where no track is evident. 1 minute rule is a grace period everytime the handler turns loose where you are not forced to strike your dog on or before the third bark like all other times of the hunt.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 10-22-2018 08:44 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Strike

quote:
Originally posted by tntelkhntr
It ran it's own track and treed it's own coon. Why is that any different from the dog that treed first?? It did the same EXACT thing on a different coon. Why should a second strike, second tree, follow up me too dog score as much as a dog that ran a separate track? If the dog is a mile away or even shorter distances it was obviously first strike and first tree on that coon.
the dog that trees the first coon out of the box 100 yards deep is a more efficient coon dog in my book than one that got a coon alone and deep because it has a fault for being independent minded passing up coon to get away from the pack.

Old Post 10-22-2018 09:26 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote