UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Spending too much time on track
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BradD20
UKC Forum Member

Spending too much time on track

I’ve got a young dog (2yr). He got started late when he was a year and three months. He does really well for the most part and is pretty straight. The only thing i can’t line out is some nights he will start a cold track and will trail trail trail for up to 30-45 minutes and never put an end to it and just quit it. He may not go 200-300 yards in that time. I’m hoping that with age and experience that he will learn to not start a track he can’t finish. I dont want to call him off a track because you never know if it’s one that he can put up. Do any of you all have any experience with dogs that will eventually learn not to mess with a track so cold that he can’t do anything with it?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-20-2020 05:59 PM
BradD20 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BradD20 Click here to Send BradD20 a Private Message Click Here to Email BradD20 Find more posts by BradD20 Add BradD20 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

My hound did this quite a bit until around 2 1/2 - 3 years old. He also became much more tight mouthed until he has the track lined out good.

Another thing I found out about mine was that when he runs a track to a hole... It would confuse him, when he was younger he would back track from a hole, and try to run it again towards the hole. Again something he eventually got better at.... Now if he ends up at a hole he just quits, moves on and finds another track.

So be patient.... They can learn to track and tree easy and hot tracks as young dogs... But they will continue to get smarter and more consistent for several years.

Old Post 05-20-2020 06:24 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Are you running a gps tracking system. It will give you very valuable info and let you know just how much the dog is going over the same track.

Old Post 05-21-2020 01:25 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BradD20
UKC Forum Member

Bruce, yes I’m running an alpha. He’s not back tracking, just moving real slow usually. Sometimes he’ll spin back or come back a little but for the most part he’s moving in one direction just like he’s moving a very cold track and never ends it. Doesn’t happen often. But i don’t want it happening at all

Old Post 05-21-2020 01:32 AM
BradD20 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BradD20 Click here to Send BradD20 a Private Message Click Here to Email BradD20 Find more posts by BradD20 Add BradD20 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coal295
UKC Forum Member

Cold

I know you said hes not backtracking on GPS movements, but is it possible the track is so cold that he is starting it the wrong way and thus it gets worse until he quits it? Some dogs will learn to turn if they have the wrong end and some dont.

Old Post 05-21-2020 03:45 AM
Coal295 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Coal295 Click here to Send Coal295 a Private Message Click Here to Email Coal295 Find more posts by Coal295 Add Coal295 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jgarrett
UKC Forum Member

A lot of track minded medium to cold nose young dogs are like this. Especially in the spring and summer months. Most will get better if they are given a chance but most of the time late spring and summer will not be the time of year they look their best. Seen several that take the track the wrong way when they hit these periods they are struggling. Takes lots of hunting to make a coon dog especially a colder nose trailing type hound.

Old Post 05-21-2020 04:05 AM
Jgarrett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jgarrett Click here to Send Jgarrett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jgarrett Find more posts by Jgarrett Add Jgarrett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dog

Some day, you are going to like the fact he cold trails, hopefully, he makes a real track dog. Part of the fun in coon hunting is listening to a dog work a track up, he will learn in time, but you can not put nose where it's not. Consider yourself lucky to have a colder nosed dog. Dave

Old Post 05-21-2020 04:16 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Some day, you are going to like the fact he cold trails, hopefully, he makes a real track dog. Part of the fun in coon hunting is listening to a dog work a track up, he will learn in time, but you can not put nose where it's not. Consider yourself lucky to have a colder nosed dog. Dave

X2...

I do like a dog that takes them as they come...hot or reasonably cold...

Old Post 05-21-2020 10:16 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BradD20
UKC Forum Member

Dave, you are right. I’ve seen him tree coons on nights when other dogs that i know are solid coon dogs either couldn’t smell them or didn’t want anything to do with a track that cold. Sometimes it’s painstakingly long and he does eventually put a tree to it and when he does he usually has the coon. As mentioned above, the tracks he isn’t finishing he could be moving the wrong way until the get so cold he can’t smell them.

Old Post 05-21-2020 11:58 AM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by BradD20
Dave, you are right. I’ve seen him tree coons on nights when other dogs that i know are solid coon dogs either couldn’t smell them or didn’t want anything to do with a track that cold. Sometimes it’s painstakingly long and he does eventually put a tree to it and when he does he usually has the coon. As mentioned above, the tracks he isn’t finishing he could be moving the wrong way until the get so cold he can’t smell them.

Takes time to learn when they got that much nose time he is 4 yrs old you will have a dog you will be proud of.

Tar

Old Post 05-21-2020 12:03 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Brad are you saying that when watching the track it doesn't show the dog kind of bogs down and circles and works the same track again trying to figure it out. I think that is the biggest think the GPS tracking systems taught a lot of hunters. Not that their dog was just circling in a swamp trying to figure out a track that has them overloaded but is circling exactly the same track two or three times which is even worse.

So you saying the tracks show the dog is moving slowly but not covering the same track twice. Then come to an end and can't take it any further and quits and moves on. If that is the case, I would be marking the end of the tracks and going in there and see just was was there. A den tree. A hole in the ground. A coon in a tree. That is the info you need to know. To make a determination on future actions.

Seeing what is there tells you if he is maybe back tracking. Trailing trash to a hole or putting a coon up and not treeing it. Information you need and the GPS tracker can lead to to the answer. Good Luck.

Old Post 05-21-2020 01:03 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BradD20
UKC Forum Member

You hit the nail on the head Bruce. For the most time on the tracks he doesn’t finish, he’s only moving one direction. He’s not running those tracks back and forth. He moves it mainly in one direction. It may take him 20 minutes to go 300-500 yards sometimes. COLD trailing. Then just stops and goes on. What you’re saying makes sense. Mark where he stops and go to it. On a hot track or medium track he can flat out move a track and gets hooked and he’s accurate. He can even look great on a cold track a lot of times and have the coon. But some nights it just seems like he’s trying to move a track that was laid down days prior and he just can’t seem to put an end to it. In the hunts it will hurt him if he does it because he’s getting struck in and trying to grub that track up and never end it.

Old Post 05-21-2020 01:28 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Brad, I just saw where your from Oliver Spings. My Son lives in Powell and owns some land in that area and leases some more. I think it is on Hoskins or Hopkins Gap road or something like that. The land borders Wind Rock Property and actually about a year ago they purchased the 900 acres he had under lease. They allowed my Son to maintain the lease. That area is booming with people wanting to purchase land and build camp sites for those visiting Wind Rock.
My Son is retiring and moving back to Fl. and he actually has his 100 acres under contract to sell. He has taken some nice deer off that property the past dozen or so years.

Old Post 05-21-2020 02:41 PM
BradD20
UKC Forum Member

I know exactly where his property is Bruce. I was looking on maps the other day and saw your name. His property by windrock is only about 10 minutes from my house.

Old Post 05-21-2020 03:18 PM
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

Re: Spending too much time on track

quote:
Originally posted by BradD20
I’ve got a young dog (2yr). He got started late when he was a year and three months. He does really well for the most part and is pretty straight. The only thing i can’t line out is some nights he will start a cold track and will trail trail trail for up to 30-45 minutes and never put an end to it and just quit it. He may not go 200-300 yards in that time. I’m hoping that with age and experience that he will learn to not start a track he can’t finish. I dont want to call him off a track because you never know if it’s one that he can put up. Do any of you all have any experience with dogs that will eventually learn not to mess with a track so cold that he can’t do anything with it?

I’ve also have a 2 year old that’s doing exactly what your describing ! She looks great on a good track, but spends to much time on some tracks that never ends at a tree!

Old Post 05-21-2020 04:04 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

Patience,patience

I had a female years ago that did that very same thing.As someone stated above by the time she was a four year old she was the most consistant hound I have ever owned.And yes there were nights she would really get on my nerves but I just let her pound away and eventually she learned to pick up her head and made good hound dogs look bad.

Old Post 05-21-2020 05:46 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Miltons
UKC Forum Member

Possible

Don't know the critters in your neighborhood. By the way u describe it reminds me of a young hound I was starting and after some detective work I discovered mine was trailing Mink. Probably I'm way off base on your situation, but thought I'd share anyway. Best luck. Have fun!!!

Old Post 05-21-2020 06:35 PM
Pat Miltons is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Miltons Click here to Send Pat Miltons a Private Message Click Here to Email Pat Miltons Find more posts by Pat Miltons Add Pat Miltons to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Re: Possible

quote:
Originally posted by Pat Miltons
Don't know the critters in your neighborhood. By the way u describe it reminds me of a young hound I was starting and after some detective work I discovered mine was trailing Mink. Probably I'm way off base on your situation, but thought I'd share anyway. Best luck. Have fun!!!

I could never prove it, but Im confident my dog, when younger was working mink tracks.... And yeah.... They act like an old track that vanishes. One property I hunt is loaded with them.

Old Post 05-21-2020 07:36 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Could be cold trailing off game, could be running a track backward, could be just over loading his butt on a colder track he can't figure and he may get better at it but maybe never able to run and finish one. Too many could be's to give you an answer on exactly what is happening from this screen. You have 2 options you can A live with it and leave him alone or B get in there and switch him off of it and send him on.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 05-22-2020 04:46 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
Could be cold trailing off game, could be running a track backward, could be just over loading his butt on a colder track he can't figure and he may get better at it but maybe never able to run and finish one. Too many could be's to give you an answer on exactly what is happening from this screen. You have 2 options you can A live with it and leave him alone or B get in there and switch him off of it and send him on.

What Jen said!

Old Post 05-22-2020 04:04 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Knuckols
UKC Forum Member

When I started hunting as a teenager we used to light a fire and sit on a log while the dogs worked a track . You definitely can’t sit around with today’s hounds . They get gone and move it out or at least mine do . Maybe just maybe these hounds are better than my old hounds . They fit the timber we have now better if that makes sense

Home of :
CH NITECH Whitemans Poison
GRCH NITECH Cold Traxx Extra Man
CH GRNITECH Kings Hardwood Ranger
UKC CH PKC CH CHKC CH Cold Traxx Man Child
GRNTCH PKC CH Hunt it off Bella
Cold Traxx Southern Honey
Cold Traxx Mattie
Cold Traxx Super Freak

Gone but never forgotten :
NITECH McFarlands Joe
Knuckols Hooker
NITECH Cypress River Chance
NITECH Cypress River Honey
NITECH Cypress River Princess
NITECH Newcombs Miss Molly
NITECH Wilsons Hardwood Ann
GRCH GRNTCH Paulding Forrest Bubba

Old Post 05-24-2020 05:03 AM
Mike Knuckols is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Knuckols Click here to Send Mike Knuckols a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Knuckols Find more posts by Mike Knuckols Add Mike Knuckols to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
benderb4
Banned

You did not say or I missed it what breed of dog. This is usually true of the colder nosed blue or black hounds.Some dogs have more nose then they got brains to work the track they are smelling. Many of these dogs when their brains catch up to their noses you will some day be proud of their cold trailing ability. Some are better then others but the skill needs to be fine tuned by letting them work their butts off to figure it all out.

TRUTH IS TREASON IN AN EMPIRE OF LIES...G. Orwell
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THE GOVERNMENT TELLS YOU...G. Carlin
ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE WORK RELENTLESSLY TO CENSOR THOSE WHO SPEAK THE TRUTH...Ron DeSantis

Old Post 05-24-2020 06:31 PM
benderb4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benderb4 Find more posts by benderb4 Add benderb4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote