UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dog Vomits in Box
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Nathan Sawyer
UKC Forum Member

Dog Vomits in Box

I have a four year old dog that gets sick everytime she rides in the dog box I have fed her several hours before taking her she still does.
Is there anything that can be done to prevent this.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-02-2015 10:03 PM
Nathan Sawyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Sawyer Click here to Send Nathan Sawyer a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Sawyer Add Nathan Sawyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KYHoundDawg
UKC Forum Member

I would think feeding before even a few hours before would make it worse. You could probably Google Dramamine dosing for dogs and try that.

PR B&B Docs Buzzed Again

Past Hounds
PR Horsefly Hollow Pepper, passed with a 1st and HTX pass
GRCH NITCH PR Allens Nationwide Suckerpunch HTX
GrCH2 NITCH PR Brockman's Remington Clover HTX

GRCH GRNITCH PKC SCH PR Brockman’s Blue Buzz HTX (semen available)
BBOA
502-417-2086

Old Post 09-02-2015 10:49 PM
KYHoundDawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KYHoundDawg Click here to Send KYHoundDawg a Private Message Click Here to Email KYHoundDawg Find more posts by KYHoundDawg Add KYHoundDawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jrkb2012
UKC Forum Member

I had one the same way,,I tried everything,,to no avail.,,I would even not feed him for a full day,,and he still threw up,,from the time he was a pup untill the time I got rid of him at 3 years old

Old Post 09-02-2015 11:57 PM
Jrkb2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jrkb2012 Click here to Send Jrkb2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jrkb2012 Find more posts by Jrkb2012 Add Jrkb2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coonhunter, MO
UKC Forum Member

I had a female coyote hound that threw up or spit up every time she road in a dog box, clear up to her passing at 12 yrs old. Have had a lot of dogs but this one is the only one I had that never got used to the truck ride.

Old Post 09-03-2015 12:40 AM
coonhunter, MO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonhunter, MO Click here to Send coonhunter, MO a Private Message Find more posts by coonhunter, MO Add coonhunter, MO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AppalachianBlue
UKC Forum Member

I started mine off young. 4 months old and they are in the box. Iv heard of people gettin their dogs use to the box by puttin em in the box just out in the yard for a lil while. Then worked em up to a ride. Never tried it myself.

Call or txt 443- 262-5663
www.facebook.com/appalachianblues
AppalachianBluesKennel@gmail.com

UKC WTDA Registered

Appalachian Blues Kennel
CH PR Walkin After Midnight
GRFCH GRCH NITECH PR Appalachian Blue Catfish HTX ( ACHA SC CHT TC )
- 2015 Qualified for World Show
- 2016 Performance Sire
- Final four Pink Hunt, 2nd place reg
- 2017 Performance Sire
NCH CH Pr Appalachian Blue Luna
GRFCH WCH Pr Appalachian Blue Raven

Mountain feist WTDA BNCH Meadow Mountain Joker

Chocolate Lab...Banjo. Waterfowl buddy.

Old Post 09-03-2015 01:16 AM
AppalachianBlue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AppalachianBlue Click here to Send AppalachianBlue a Private Message Click Here to Email AppalachianBlue Find more posts by AppalachianBlue Add AppalachianBlue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Sawyer
UKC Forum Member

I start my pups young but this one is 4 I just got her. She may never come out of it just thought there might be something I could give her before a ride that may settle her stomach

Old Post 09-03-2015 01:29 AM
Nathan Sawyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Sawyer Click here to Send Nathan Sawyer a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Sawyer Add Nathan Sawyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AppalachianBlue
UKC Forum Member

Just curious. Did previous owner tell u bout this problem? If not he should have

Call or txt 443- 262-5663
www.facebook.com/appalachianblues
AppalachianBluesKennel@gmail.com

UKC WTDA Registered

Appalachian Blues Kennel
CH PR Walkin After Midnight
GRFCH GRCH NITECH PR Appalachian Blue Catfish HTX ( ACHA SC CHT TC )
- 2015 Qualified for World Show
- 2016 Performance Sire
- Final four Pink Hunt, 2nd place reg
- 2017 Performance Sire
NCH CH Pr Appalachian Blue Luna
GRFCH WCH Pr Appalachian Blue Raven

Mountain feist WTDA BNCH Meadow Mountain Joker

Chocolate Lab...Banjo. Waterfowl buddy.

Old Post 09-03-2015 01:33 AM
AppalachianBlue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AppalachianBlue Click here to Send AppalachianBlue a Private Message Click Here to Email AppalachianBlue Find more posts by AppalachianBlue Add AppalachianBlue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jrkb2012
UKC Forum Member

Nathan,,the dog I mentioned earlier seemed to do a lot better when I put him in a wired box on a golf cart,,never tried it in the truck thou,,so you might wanna try a summer box,,

Old Post 09-03-2015 02:32 AM
Jrkb2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jrkb2012 Click here to Send Jrkb2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jrkb2012 Find more posts by Jrkb2012 Add Jrkb2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Try chaining her in the bed of the truck without the box for a few trips. Make sure she can't jump overboard, and haul her so that she can see/feel what's going on, and she may overcome the carsickness. I always try to haul my pups a few times in the open air before I stuff them in a box and it seems to work well. If you set them up so that the hauling is a predecessor to something "good", they seem to adjust to it well.

Old Post 09-03-2015 05:57 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Emily
UKC Forum Member

Your vet can give your meds that may help.

My home remedies for the problem are
1)Restrict water intake before rides. You can't do this before the ride home from a hunt, but sloshingin the stomach makes the problem worse, so limit water before the hunt, although you have to make sure the dog gets plenty of water before working.
2)Ginger settles the stomach. Feed the dog a ginger snap cookie or two immediately before and during the ride. Works for me when I get seasick.
3)Leave the box windows open and make sure the dog is getting plenty of fresh air.
4) The smoother the ride, the more readily they get sick. Fully inflate your tires and don't let the dog ride shotgun in your Cadillac.

Old Post 09-03-2015 06:06 AM
Emily is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Emily Click here to Send Emily a Private Message Click Here to Email Emily Find more posts by Emily Add Emily to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sqman
UKC Forum Member

I have a year old dog that does not throw up but will be covered in slobber every time after a ride. Her mouth and front legs will be soaked from where she slobbers only n a dog box ride. Any suggestions?

Mohawks Whistln Dixie (OMC)
Pine Mtn Crazy Ann

Old Post 09-03-2015 01:28 PM
sqman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sqman Click here to Send sqman a Private Message Find more posts by sqman Add sqman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick brocious
UKC Forum Member

Make sure there are no exhaust fumes getting in .

Old Post 09-03-2015 09:35 PM
rick brocious is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick brocious Click here to Send rick brocious a Private Message Find more posts by rick brocious Add rick brocious to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Sawyer
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by sqman
I have a year old dog that does not throw up but will be covered in slobber every time after a ride. Her mouth and front legs will be soaked from where she slobbers only n a dog box ride. Any suggestions?

That's the same thing mine does she is a cur.
I have tried most everything people have suggested except riding in the open air

Old Post 09-03-2015 11:53 PM
Emily
UKC Forum Member

Two thoughts on the slobbering.

1) is the dog allergic to something in the box? maybe the bedding? maybe whatever you use to clean the box?

2) A gradual program of desensitization may help.
step 1) Take the box out of the truck. Leave it in her kennel. Feed her in it. Let her go in and out at will. Throw special treats in it now and then.
step 2) When she's treating it like a doghouse--a place she finds comforting-- start putting it in the truck, but don't drive. See if she likes it when its not moving. Keep throwing treats in it. Make it a reassuring place for her.
step 3) Eventually start driving her for a few minutes at a time. Praise her if she's calm when you're done. Gradually increase the time you drive around. Try to do this before feeding her.
Any time she seems anxious when you get back, go back a step.
step 4) After she rides well for half an hour or so, find a nearby spot and take her hunting. She may be getting overly excited in anticipation. If that's what is causing the problem, take her on drives when you're not going hunting. Bring her to the store. Bring her to really boring places where there's not much to smell. Park in the middle of the empty WalMart parking lot, well away from any activity.

This will be really tedious, but probably won't take more than a month. Just be patient and take it slowly.

Old Post 09-04-2015 12:32 AM
Emily is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Emily Click here to Send Emily a Private Message Click Here to Email Emily Find more posts by Emily Add Emily to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote