UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > cattle tags for ticks
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Cynthia
UKC Forum Member

cattle tags for ticks

need some help.

have ticks bad this year. which tag do you use? so many to choose from.

do you cut them down to a smaller size?

how to you attach them to collar?

2015 AO Overall Dual Champion NTCH GRCH 'PR' Sexy and I know It (breeder/owner/handler)
2016 Grand American Overall Dual Ch, Overall Show CHampion NTCH GRCH 'PR' Sexy and I know It

AKC CSG, UKC CCH GRCH 'PR' Southern Flame Bad News Bandit (Bandit)
2010 National Grand Champion Bluetick
2013 AO Bluetick Stud Dog winner

CCH GCH 'PR' Southern Flame Elvira - the one that started it all

southernflamekennel@earthlink.net

RIP Southern Flame Elvira (the cornerstone of the kennel) 5/16/02-1/17/14

RIP Southern Flame Scarlet (the lone Redbone) 5/11/01-7/19/13

RIP Southern Flame Wild Irish Rose (Rosie) 6/15/09 - 3/12/15

RIP Southern Flame Too Hot to Trot (Bonnie) 3/27/07 - 4/20/15

RIP Southern Flame Bad News Bandit (Bandit)

RIP Southern Flame Triple Trouble (TT) 12/17/04 - 11/19/16

RIP Southern Flame Blame it on the Rain (Rain)

RIP AdeleMay's a Smokey Bandit (Adele)

RIP Southern Flame I Like Ike (Ike)

RIP Bella the Beagle

Bear, Jerry Lee, Camo, Maybellene, Lacy, Thor, Sissy, Merle, Tina, Bridgette - the Blueticks, Hollie - the Aussie

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-10-2015 04:43 PM
Cynthia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cynthia Click here to Send Cynthia a Private Message Click Here to Email Cynthia Visit Cynthia's homepage! Find more posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gasserdogs
UKC Forum Member

cattle tags

fold them over and zip tie them to d ring on collar purple python or magnum

Old Post 06-10-2015 04:51 PM
gasserdogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gasserdogs Click here to Send gasserdogs a Private Message Find more posts by gasserdogs Add gasserdogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gasserdogs
UKC Forum Member

farhams flea and tick spray works good as a water base spray can get at farm stores such as rural king or tractor supply company

Old Post 06-10-2015 04:54 PM
gasserdogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gasserdogs Click here to Send gasserdogs a Private Message Find more posts by gasserdogs Add gasserdogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andy Bedgood
UKC Forum Member

Y-Tex Pythons. they are light purple. We get them from TSC. Only takes 1/2 a tag per dog.

Old Post 06-10-2015 05:29 PM
Andy Bedgood is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy Bedgood Click here to Send Andy Bedgood a Private Message Click Here to Email Andy Bedgood Find more posts by Andy Bedgood Add Andy Bedgood to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

Does it keep fleas off too?

Old Post 06-10-2015 05:40 PM
BigContry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigContry Click here to Send BigContry a Private Message Click Here to Email BigContry Find more posts by BigContry Add BigContry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jerry Moll
UKC Forum Member

The Cattle Tags work extremely well to control ticks. I just hate those holes in the middle of my dog's ears.

Old Post 06-10-2015 05:43 PM
Jerry Moll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jerry Moll Click here to Send Jerry Moll a Private Message Click Here to Email Jerry Moll Visit Jerry Moll's homepage! Find more posts by Jerry Moll Add Jerry Moll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Duckassassin
UKC Forum Member

dont they make the dogs sick? them are made for 1 ton cattle not no .03 ton dog.

Old Post 06-10-2015 06:07 PM
Duckassassin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Duckassassin Click here to Send Duckassassin a Private Message Find more posts by Duckassassin Add Duckassassin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

I punch a hole in the big end and tie it in a loop. Then just run the collar through it. I use them for ticks and have never made a dog sick yet

Old Post 06-10-2015 06:40 PM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RLenhart
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Andy Bedgood
Y-Tex Pythons. they are light purple. We get them from TSC. Only takes 1/2 a tag per dog.

Those are the same tags I had on my dogs. I was leaving them on they're collars all the time. I found my female was all red and inflamed under her armpit. I wasn't sure at the time if the tag caused it or not. I posted a question on here about It and got some pretty negative feedback about cow tags so I pulled them all off my dogs. A couple days later I found she was all red on her neck under the collar to, I'm thinking I made the right move getting them off there I do believe it was the cow tag that did it. I was going to throw them away but I'm thinking I might try just running them on my tracking collars when I hunt them. I'm thinking prolonged exposure to those things might not be good for your dog.

Old Post 06-10-2015 06:55 PM
RLenhart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RLenhart Click here to Send RLenhart a Private Message Find more posts by RLenhart Add RLenhart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BLAKE WHEELER
UKC Forum Member

cattle tags

I tried the python purple tags last year they didn't help with fleas or ticks. My bulldog has a yellow reflector collar, the tag turned his collar pink but didn't seem to affect any of the dogs health wise. I zip tied the whole tag to there collar.

Old Post 06-10-2015 07:15 PM
BLAKE WHEELER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BLAKE WHEELER Click here to Send BLAKE WHEELER a Private Message Click Here to Email BLAKE WHEELER Find more posts by BLAKE WHEELER Add BLAKE WHEELER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jrkb2012
UKC Forum Member

Re: cattle tags for ticks

quote:
Originally posted by Cynthia
need some help.

have ticks bad this year. which tag do you use? so many to choose from.

do you cut them down to a smaller size?

how to you attach them to collar?

Get the Y-TEX PYthon insecticide ear tags,(purple) they work great,,it doesn't say anything about controlling fleas,,but I haven't had any on mine since I started using them afew months ago,it says it controls horn flies,face flies,lice,gulf coast ticks,spinose ear ticks,and aid in control of stable black flies and small horse flies.
I just put a hole at big end then zip tie and slide collar thru,,I use a whole tag,not half like another post stated,,and none of my dogs have gotten sick from the tags,,ticks are heavy here right now,,and I haven't found a one on them yet,,
I also take a tag and zip tie it to the back of my hunting vest,,because I got tired of picking ticks off of me at the end of the night of hunting,,and they work just as well that way too,because I haven't had to pull a tick off of me since I put a tag on my vest,,I'm a firm believer in these tags,,they are awesome

Old Post 06-10-2015 07:26 PM
Jrkb2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jrkb2012 Click here to Send Jrkb2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jrkb2012 Find more posts by Jrkb2012 Add Jrkb2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Carl Fox
UKC Forum Member

Ican agree with everthing i have read about the purple tags and have used them many times but the method of attachment i feel i have the best way just fold around the collar take off dog first let me back up cut off the small snap end and fold around the collar and use a small amount of super glue and hold it smalll end over large side for about one minute.

I guarantee the tag will slide off and on the collar if you chose to change it for any reason and it will be there until winter time when i just slide them off the collar and wait to do it again next year.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING INSTEAD
OF HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS!!!

Old Post 06-10-2015 09:03 PM
Carl Fox is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Carl Fox Click here to Send Carl Fox a Private Message Find more posts by Carl Fox Add Carl Fox to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jrkb2012
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Carl Fox
Ican agree with everthing i have read about the purple tags and have used them many times but the method of attachment i feel i have the best way just fold around the collar take off dog first let me back up cut off the small snap end and fold around the collar and use a small amount of super glue and hold it smalll end over large side for about one minute.

I guarantee the tag will slide off and on the collar if you chose to change it for any reason and it will be there until winter time when i just slide them off the collar and wait to do it again next year.

Carl,the way I do mine,,I can slide on and off with no problem,,all you do is put a hole in center on end of big flap and zip tie, then slide collar thru,,nothing to it!the ear tag is what I zip tie,,I do not zip tie tag to the collar!,,no cutting or glueing

Last edited by Jrkb2012 on 06-10-2015 at 09:26 PM

Old Post 06-10-2015 09:22 PM
Jrkb2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jrkb2012 Click here to Send Jrkb2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jrkb2012 Find more posts by Jrkb2012 Add Jrkb2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cynthia
UKC Forum Member

thanks. not worried about fleas, will use Comfortis for that. usually have a 2wk span in April-May with ticks and then they are gone but hanging around this yr...must be the dryness. anyway, i'll look into the purple tags. thanks guys.

2015 AO Overall Dual Champion NTCH GRCH 'PR' Sexy and I know It (breeder/owner/handler)
2016 Grand American Overall Dual Ch, Overall Show CHampion NTCH GRCH 'PR' Sexy and I know It

RIP Bella the Beagle

Bear, Jerry Lee, Camo, Maybellene, Lacy, Thor, Sissy, Merle, Tina, Bridgette - the Blueticks, Hollie - the Aussie

Old Post 06-10-2015 10:43 PM
Cynthia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cynthia Click here to Send Cynthia a Private Message Click Here to Email Cynthia Visit Cynthia's homepage! Find more posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

i've used them on all my dogs, even my feist and have had no problems. they do not control fleas.

Old Post 06-10-2015 11:17 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dean jamerson
UKC Forum Member

Used them for years, but would find ticks on my dogs but they would be dead, switched to the seresto tick and flea collars this year, expensive collars but i only have two dogs i am much more satisfied with seresto collars, havent found a tick on them at all.

Old Post 06-10-2015 11:23 PM
dean jamerson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dean jamerson Click here to Send dean jamerson a Private Message Click Here to Email dean jamerson Find more posts by dean jamerson Add dean jamerson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
redjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Cynthia
thanks. not worried about fleas, will use Comfortis for that. usually have a 2wk span in April-May with ticks and then they are gone but hanging around this yr...must be the dryness. anyway, i'll look into the purple tags. thanks guys.

Stop the comfortis and start using nexgard. It works great and covers fleas and ticks

Old Post 06-11-2015 05:50 AM
redjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for redjohnson Click here to Send redjohnson a Private Message Find more posts by redjohnson Add redjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KYMULES
UKC Forum Member

wish this forum had a like button

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Moll
The Cattle Tags work extremely well to control ticks. I just hate those holes in the middle of my dog's ears.

Old Post 06-11-2015 05:36 PM
KYMULES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KYMULES Click here to Send KYMULES a Private Message Find more posts by KYMULES Add KYMULES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KYMULES
UKC Forum Member

wish this forum had a like button

quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Moll

Old Post 06-11-2015 05:37 PM
KYMULES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KYMULES Click here to Send KYMULES a Private Message Find more posts by KYMULES Add KYMULES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cynthia
UKC Forum Member

2 TSC's were out of purple. they ordered some. will be 1-2 wks before it comes in.

RIP Bella the Beagle

Old Post 06-12-2015 01:37 PM
Carl Fox
UKC Forum Member

Cynthia the orange ones will work just as good for i started out using the orange tags works on 2,000 lb cow it will work on a 70 lb dog.lol.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING INSTEAD
OF HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS!!!

Old Post 06-15-2015 09:16 PM
Carl Fox is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Carl Fox Click here to Send Carl Fox a Private Message Find more posts by Carl Fox Add Carl Fox to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RLenhart
UKC Forum Member

I'm no expert on the matter but my buddy that gave me purple tags to use this year told me you want to use a different color each year.

Old Post 06-15-2015 09:20 PM
RLenhart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RLenhart Click here to Send RLenhart a Private Message Find more posts by RLenhart Add RLenhart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fire Archer
UKC Forum Member

I have been reading a lot about apple cider vinegar in their water to repel fleas. 1 teaspoon vinegar to 1 quart of water. You can also mix it 50/50 with water and spray it on them.

Old Post 06-15-2015 09:23 PM
Fire Archer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fire Archer Click here to Send Fire Archer a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Archer Add Fire Archer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
captaincody
UKC Forum Member

lol. Good one Jerry Moll

Old Post 06-16-2015 02:49 AM
captaincody is offline Click Here to See the Profile for captaincody Click here to Send captaincody a Private Message Click Here to Email captaincody Find more posts by captaincody Add captaincody to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cynthia
UKC Forum Member

my purple tags finally came in. can some of you post pics of how you have attached them? Im having a hard time visualizing how they are attach around the collars.

thanks

RIP Bella the Beagle

Old Post 06-29-2015 03:04 AM