UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Gravitating
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Gravitating

Gravitate to - Idioms by The Free Dictionary

Fig. to move slowly toward someone or something, as if being pulled by gravity. People tend to gravitate toward the kitchen at parties. Unless you correct their manners, the children will gravitate toward rude behavior.

The above I copied from the free dictionary...

I tend to use one of these words to explain things that cause a change...a change towards a direction...changing something for better or worse as we move forward...

one example is when we discuss breeding better dogs...
I have heard and read where many have said that there are many culls when breeding hunting dogs and others feel like it is not possible to consistently breed better dogs...I totally disagree...

I will explain...we must look at the big picture...we must look at the breeding program...and not just at one or two litters (tunnel vision), and then start to make those assumptions based on those two litters that produced 40 of 50 percent culls...

When we look at the breeding program there will be culls...but when it is well thought out and we breed best to best...especially from a superior family of dogs...then we can gravitate towards breeding better dogs...success means we will be breeding a higher percentage of better dogs as we breed more generations of dogs...we are progressing (producing better dogs and less culls) as we move forward...if we can't do that then we need to leave breeding dogs to others and we can just buy a pup when we need one...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-24-2018 10:46 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Reuben you are correct. I personally think all breeds of dogs as a whole have Gravitated to pups being produced that makes it easier for all breeds to have young dogs that show promise at an early age and more than ever finish out to make a respectable coon hound. This is not something that happened with our hounds 40 or 50 years ago.

Old Post 02-24-2018 12:29 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bowling
UKC Forum Member

I figured out a long time ago a lot of so called culls not all are the result of mis handling by a cull trainer. I have made dogs that have won some big time hunts that were just mis handled dogs respond different they have been beaten and shocked so much they are confused on what they are suppose to do.there are ways to correct a dog other than beating or shocking it to death you would be surprised how much you can learn a dog with some day time hunting. Shocking systems are a great tool if used correctly. I have seen a lot more trainers that need culled than dogs but you never hear of that it is always blamed on the dog. Dogs have feelings and are a lot more compassionate than a lot of people they are a lot smarter than their trainers a large part of the time.

Old Post 02-24-2018 12:53 PM
bowling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling Click here to Send bowling a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling Visit bowling's homepage! Find more posts by bowling Add bowling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

How many feel as I do that some of the best breeders vs trainers in the world were hunters that couldn't afford to buy good dogs when they wanted so they had to be patient and work and refine what they had and often times that created a stock of dogs that pleased the hard to please.

Tar

Old Post 02-24-2018 01:39 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by bowling
I figured out a long time ago a lot of so called culls not all are the result of mis handling by a cull trainer. I have made dogs that have won some big time hunts that were just mis handled dogs respond different they have been beaten and shocked so much they are confused on what they are suppose to do.there are ways to correct a dog other than beating or shocking it to death you would be surprised how much you can learn a dog with some day time hunting. Shocking systems are a great tool if used correctly. I have seen a lot more trainers that need culled than dogs but you never hear of that it is always blamed on the dog. Dogs have feelings and are a lot more compassionate than a lot of people they are a lot smarter than their trainers a large part of the time.

100 percent agree...doing the right things at the right time makes training easy and fun...and the pup will love you and respect you...and most of all he will trust you which makes training a pleasure...I have been hunting with dogs over 50 years and I am still learning...

Thanks Bruce...

Old Post 02-24-2018 01:45 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote