UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Proposal 3 - Coming in to Tree After Judge Arrives
Proposal 3 - Coming in to Tree After Judge Arrives
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Option A 83 39.15%
Option B 89 41.98%
Leave as is, per current rule. 40 18.87%
Total: 212 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

You quit your job at the beginning of the shift or at the timeclock before you leave you still quit.

And you no longer have a job !!

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-31-2019 10:25 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blaine Stout
UKC Forum Member

I agree that that was one of my main points.

Also as for no gray area in the rule you are just plainly wrong. We already discussed what distance is coming into the tree. It is the judges discretion so there is gray area to be left up to one person's opinion. Then voted on by cast which once given the option to make someone handle their dog is going to vote yes. It simple from a handlers stand point if I ha e you on a leash you cant score a coon on me.

Hounds that reside at Cedar Creek Ranch

WALKERS
Ch Grnitech Cedar Creek Paco

ENGLISH
Grch Blackfords C'mon Eileen
Nitech Wanna be a Lunatic

R.I.P
Nitech Cedar Creek Timbers Blu Junior

Old Post 05-31-2019 11:29 PM
Blaine Stout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blaine Stout Click here to Send Blaine Stout a Private Message Click Here to Email Blaine Stout Find more posts by Blaine Stout Add Blaine Stout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
You quit your job at the beginning of the shift or at the timeclock before you leave you still quit.
And you no longer have a job !!
Tar

You quit your job at the beginning of a shift and you don't get paid for that day. You quit your job at the time clock on the way out and you get paid for that day.

Old Post 05-31-2019 11:33 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, what does distance have to do with coming into a tree? The dog either quits its track and comes into a tree or it doesn't.

Old Post 05-31-2019 11:36 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Now you done went and got me mixed up !!

Tarbaby

Old Post 05-31-2019 11:52 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blaine Stout
UKC Forum Member

It doesn't have anything to do with it. But you told me that when they come in it's not considered quitting a track so I cant minus a dog when they quit their track to come in. If that's what they did then they need minused for it.

Hounds that reside at Cedar Creek Ranch

WALKERS
Ch Grnitech Cedar Creek Paco

ENGLISH
Grch Blackfords C'mon Eileen
Nitech Wanna be a Lunatic

R.I.P
Nitech Cedar Creek Timbers Blu Junior

Old Post 06-01-2019 02:39 PM
Blaine Stout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blaine Stout Click here to Send Blaine Stout a Private Message Click Here to Email Blaine Stout Find more posts by Blaine Stout Add Blaine Stout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Not hard to look at a dog and tell if it's tracking or not, you guys that can't shin a tree with a dog tracking in the area are in the wrong sport, sorry

Old Post 06-01-2019 02:52 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

200 people have voted in the poll now and it is 60/40 not to minus a dog for coming into a tree where a coon is not seen.

Old Post 06-01-2019 02:58 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
200 people have voted in the poll now and it is 60/40 not to minus a dog for coming into a tree where a coon is not seen.

What you talken bout Willis ? Just 5 votes between A and B.

Tarbaby

Old Post 06-01-2019 03:34 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Add the leave as is votes to B. They are essentially the same.

Old Post 06-01-2019 04:16 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

If a person has been coon hunting for one year and he can't tell the difference from a dog coming into a tree and a dog that's trailing past a tree, he needs to find a new hobby.

Old Post 06-01-2019 04:39 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Atherton
If I am judging a cast, when a dog comes into the tree after the cast. I will direct the handler to handle their dog. That being said, I would not expect a handler to have to throw a flying body tackle to stop the dog.

The rule was originally for giving a pack animal a break for coming into all the commotion at a tree. The reason many want to change it is not all coon hounds are pack animals any more, and hunters running independent dogs don't like pack animals getting cut any slack.

So the way i see this rule change is more about what kind of hound general coon hunters want to hunt.

The dog am talking about is not a pack dog . A pack dog would be there before judge showed up. Even with a tree count down in effect I have no problem with a pack dog. If that is what you want to hunt so be it. But if he’s packing he better be close enough to get 75 before the 25 sec is up. The dog am talking about is one that is struck in on junk an quits an shows up after judge.

Old Post 06-01-2019 05:05 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rip
Allen has clearly stated even in the post you posted the dog doesn't need to show any intrest in the tree to be considered "at" the tree.

Yes "at" the tree is the judgment in this equation. Is it 10 yards? 10 feet? You have to be there to decide but if the dog comes in there is no choice it must be handled and it is scored depending on what the other dogs have in the tree.

Think about it like this, if you used your definition of having to be ON the tree to be considered "at" the tree then every dog that was not scored to be treeing satisfactorily would have to be left loose to disrupt or do whatever they want. You can't have dogs running everywhere while you are trying to score a tree. If they are there then you have no choice but to handle them by the rules because it says all dogs "at" the tree must be handled.

Like Allen said even in what you quoted they do not have to show treed or show intrest in the tree to be considered "at" the tree just if they are in the area.

Would you want someone that has a loose tree dog to just be able to say "no I'm not handling my dog" because they are not belly up on the wood and them go over 30 feet and tree a coon on you that your dog had no chance to tree?

Heck using the definition that they have to show treed to be at the tree I would never handle a dog that came in late nor that was loose I would just claim that we need to see what it will do.

We can't do that. If they are there they need to be handled.

But yes "at" the tree is the only judgment in this whole equation. If they are "at" the tree the rules are clear you must handle them.

Depends on what you as a judge say is "at" the tree.

As for me, I am very consistent if it is there it is handled no matter whos dog it is or when it gets there.

I will say it again .. same scenario... The actions of the dog, had the dog been treed there before the 5 minutes, would you plus it up if coon seen? Afterall.. you want to minus it for coming into the tree... but not plus it for the same reason?? .... not coming to tree, just trailing through... Just another excuse by a judge to minus a dog that does not deserve it.

And so we are clear.. if a dog walks by a horse, doesn't bark it it, go to it or even look at it, but is in the vicinity if it, it is molesting livestock. . Just to make sure I get it right...

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 06-01-2019 05:57 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness.... One man's "trails by" is another man's "comes into".

A dog can't trail on by because he must be handled when he trails or comes into a tree.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 06-01-2019 at 07:03 PM

Old Post 06-01-2019 06:59 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Oh my goodness.... One man's "trails by" is another man's "comes into".

A dog can't trail on by because he must be handled when he trails or comes into a tree.

I think I'll do it like Allen says instead. You can holler and scream for me to handle my dog but ain't happening until he quits his track. 50% of trees treed don't have crap in em anymore, I'll be in no hurry to tie one up

Last edited by sleepy head on 06-01-2019 at 08:32 PM

Old Post 06-01-2019 07:23 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by sleepy head
I think I'll do it like Allen say instead. You can holler and scream for me to handle my dog but ain't happening until he quits his track. 50% of trees treed don't crap in em anymore, I'll be no hurry to tie one up

Yeah I heard that !! What he said !! Allen said so !! Argue with that one Richard see where it gets yah !!

Tarbaby

Old Post 06-01-2019 07:38 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, what did Allen say? Did he say that we didn't have to follow the rule if we didn't like it?

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 06-01-2019 at 08:52 PM

Old Post 06-01-2019 08:49 PM
yadkintar
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Oh my goodness, what did Allen say? Did he say that we didn't have to follow the rule if we didn't like it? [/QUOTE

You keep on I am going to whoooooop the advisor out on yah !!

Tarbaby

Old Post 06-01-2019 08:56 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

He said the criteria for determining if dog has come in to tree is no different than it is for a dog quitting a track. So, how many times have you seen a dog minused for quitting a track bc he checked a tree?

Old Post 06-01-2019 08:57 PM
Rip
UKC Forum Member

No he absolutely did not say you didn't have to handle a dog at the tree and as a matter of fact he stated a dog did not have to show ANY interest in the tree to be considered "at" the tree. If he's there hes "at" the tree.

He said he wasn't going to determine how close the dog had to be to be considered "at" the tree any more than you can determine how far a dog has to be away from the tree but if he is there he is supposed to be handled period end of story no matter what he may or may not be doing.

If a dog is "at" the tree then the rule is in black and white, very clear he MUST be handled. No question about it.

If you intentionally don't handle a dog that is at the tree than it is the exact same thing as plussing a possum. It's the same thing you have blatantly violated a rule. Just because the rule needs to be changed, just because it "ain't right" that you save a dog from taking minus by a rule doesn't mean you can ignore the rule.

There are plenty of rules I don't like but I have to enforce them no matter what my opinion on them may be.

Just as this one. I would like to see the rule changed to keep the dog from being saved but until it is officially changed then I will have to follow the black and white rule.

One good rule of thumb would be to judge it just like quitting a track away from a tree. If you would have minused the dog for quitting it's track and it does the same thing at the tree then that means the dog came IN to the tree and he can't be minused. (Remember to be minused for quitting a track he has to quit and "come in" to the cast so if you are at the tree and he "come in" then he is at the tree and can't be minused unless a coon is seen and the dogs treeing are awarded plus points).

I do believe that is what he was meaning but people have taken it to mean the opposite LOL.

Last edited by Rip on 06-01-2019 at 09:22 PM

Old Post 06-01-2019 09:19 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
He said the criteria for determining if dog has come in to tree is no different than it is for a dog quitting a track. So, how many times have you seen a dog minused for quitting a track bc he checked a tree?

He's meaning the fact that to minus a dog for quitting a track he has to quit AND COME IN to the cast. Same action results in a different scoring situation. If a dog quits a track and comes in to the cast he is minused for quitting his track if they are not at a tree.

If he does the exact same thing at a tree then he CAME IN to the tree now you can NOT minus the dog because he came in to the tree and his fate is determined by what is in the tree. At the same time, if he would have been minused for quitting a track if there was no tree involved then you have to put a leash on him because by rule he is "at" the tree
because he "came in" to the tree and he must be leashed.

That is what he is meaning and that is what this rule change proposal is trying to fix. Now the dog is saved from minus for quitting his track if he happens to quit it while you are at a tree. We (the ones voting to change it) are trying to close that loop hole.

Last edited by Rip on 06-01-2019 at 09:28 PM

Old Post 06-01-2019 09:25 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

If that dog works on by I won’t expect him to be handled but if he walks up and says hello fellers I expect him to be handled. He only takes minus now if there is a coon seen. Look at it this way people would love to handle their dog except if there s a coon seen !!! Possum or slick he comes out smelling like a rose.

Tar

Old Post 06-01-2019 09:28 PM
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
If that dog works on by I won’t expect him to be handled but if he walks up and says hello fellers I expect him to be handled. He only takes minus now if there is a coon seen. Look at it this way people would love to handle their dog except if their is a coon seen !!! Possum or slick he comes out smelling like a rose.

Tar

Yes sir don't forget circle they are only minused if a coon is seen even though they quit their track that's why i voted to change the rule

Old Post 06-01-2019 09:29 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Last weekend at a hunt, this question came up. There were three Master of Hounds and several hunters present. They all agreed that just because a dog came by, or close by the tree, the handler shouldnt be made to handle his or her dog until it showed that it was treed. I have been made to handle my dog when he was cold nosing close by the tree. I didnt like it, but I did and received minus points for it.

A: Your question appears to concern what the term come in to tree means. In most cases, come in to tree is very obvious. It absolutely does not mean that a dog must come in and tree before he must be caught. Once in a while, it does require the use of some judgement. The Judge needs to decide, did the dog come in to the tree in question or didnt he? The criteria for making this decision is no different than that where a dog quits a trail that is being worked and comes in to the cast. If you are looking for a measurable distance on what is considered at the tree and what isnt, you wont get one from me. My advice is, use good judgement and be consistent.

It is always interesting to note that one handler will argue that being 15 feet off the tree is acceptable when his dog has been treed and the coon is seen. Yet, this same handler will argue that 15 feet off the tree is not considered being in to the tree when he is not declared treed and the coon is seen. Again, use good judgement and be consistent.

Old Post 06-01-2019 09:55 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Last weekend at a hunt, this question came up. There were three Master of Hounds and several hunters present. They all agreed that just because a dog came by, or close by the tree, the handler shouldnt be made to handle his or her dog until it showed that it was treed. I have been made to handle my dog when he was cold nosing close by the tree. I didnt like it, but I did and received minus points for it.

A: Your question appears to concern what the term come in to tree means. In most cases, come in to tree is very obvious. It absolutely does not mean that a dog must come in and tree before he must be caught. Once in a while, it does require the use of some judgement. The Judge needs to decide, did the dog come in to the tree in question or didnt he? The criteria for making this decision is no different than that where a dog quits a trail that is being worked and comes in to the cast. If you are looking for a measurable distance on what is considered at the tree and what isnt, you wont get one from me. My advice is, use good judgement and be consistent.

It is always interesting to note that one handler will argue that being 15 feet off the tree is acceptable when his dog has been treed and the coon is seen. Yet, this same handler will argue that 15 feet off the tree is not considered being in to the tree when he is not declared treed and the coon is seen. Again, use good judgement and be consistent.

The way I take it is distance has no bearing on the call if dog is obviously tracking and not slacking

Old Post 06-01-2019 10:01 PM