UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Scratch Mentality
Pages (6): « First ... « 4 5 [6]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Now Dave are you saying no one earned their 1st place win all these years? After All they hunted under UKC rules and UKC placement rules. Are you saying the AO National GrNtCh really isn’t the National GrNtCh? Here you are again belittling a mans win that hunted under UKC rules.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-11-2019 12:54 AM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tim Osborne

If the shoe fits, that's what I am saying! Seriously, under the high score format, they won under that format and I am not knocking the "Winners", I am knocking the format. How on earth can someone really believe they were the true champion by only winning the cast they were in, never hunting against all the other cast winners? Just think what you want about that, tell yourself how good old blue really is and that he deserves to be the hunt winner because of his high score in one cast. I am not knocking anyone who wins under this format, but I am very critical of the format. I realize that this format was put in place by time constraints, but this format is tainted and is a poor substitute for a true winner. The new format of treating cast winners equal goes a long way to rectify this issue NOW we need to address the major hunts and go to a cast winner elimination style Champion. All this would eliminate the luck of the draw and a winner based on a 1 cast score. Dave

Old Post 06-11-2019 01:24 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

So now all cast winners are equal, but wait a minute UKC Performance points placement still goes by top 3 scores, 1st, 2nd, 3rd so shouldn’t they share their winnings with 4th, 5th etc etc? After all they drew a better guide than 4th place on down.

Old Post 06-11-2019 01:41 AM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tim Osborne

I see logic is not your best attribute, sure there are always going to be situations that aren't equitable, but trying to resolve as many as one can is justified. Those that really think a 1 cast score is indictitive of a true winner are usually those with the best places to hunt to get those scores. If you do not think certain casts have a better chance of getting a higher score that the casts at large, you must have your head in the sand. It is common knowledge at most clubs that so and so cast will be put on coons, usually feeder buckets and plenty of them. Do you really think the winner of that cast deserves more that a cast winner hunting on public ground in thin coons? Dave

Old Post 06-11-2019 01:54 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Me thinks the way things look me being old with a selective memory is a wonderfull thing !!

Tar

Old Post 06-11-2019 02:26 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Resolving some of these issues won't benefit folks like me and you we are past our hunting prime. What these changes can do are help the younger generation and hopefully get more younger guys into the competition hunts. Numbers are pitiful at the hunts these days, the good old boy mentality has certainly hurt the numbers. Who wants to drive to a major hunt, only to get drawn out and hunt on public lands that have been hunted hard, while a few casts of good old boys hunt their honeyholes, knowing high score is going to win these hunts. Reformat these hunts to a cast winner elimination style winner and a true champion, where all cast winners have an equal chance of winning these hunts. Make these hunts fair to ALL that attend and not a select few that have the best hunting spots reserved for themselves, earn that title of Hunt Champion. Hunting for a title that actually means something, and not won by a l cast score. Dave

Old Post 06-11-2019 02:46 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Quoting Dave Richards

Resolving some of these issues won't benefit folks like me and you we are past our hunting prime. What these changes can do are help the younger generation and hopefully get more younger guys into the competition hunts. Numbers are pitiful at the hunts these days, the good old boy mentality has certainly hurt the numbers. Who wants to drive to a major hunt, only to get drawn out and hunt on public lands that have been hunted hard, while a few casts of good old boys hunt their honeyholes, knowing high score is going to win these hunts. Reformat these hunts to a cast winner elimination style winner and a true champion, where all cast winners have an equal chance of winning these hunts. Make these hunts fair to ALL that attend and not a select few that have the best hunting spots reserved for themselves, earn that title of Hunt Champion. Hunting for a title that actually means something, and not won by a l cast score. Dave

excellent logic...

that would make it fair...like anything else the best dog might not win once in a while but day in and day out over time the best dog will win...over time the majority of the titled dogs are true champions and anyone who is shopping for a pup can look to these titled champions for a pup and the chances of buying a quality improves...makes perfect logical sense to me...

Last edited by Reuben on 06-11-2019 at 03:15 AM

Old Post 06-11-2019 03:13 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: Scratch Mentality

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
How many ways to get scratched that have nothing to do with misconduct or aggression issues...
I read the polls on getting rid of the squalling rule or the silent on track rule and it leaves me scratching my head. I see one major issue and that is those who look for and hope for a reason to scratch a cast member instead of beating them by out coondoging.
I have an idea, if you would like for cast to be more enjoyable get rid of the scratch mentality this kennel club suffers much to often from and encourage the passing of some of these changes.
If your concern is getting beat by someone who blew on a squaller or is hunting a silent dog you have a whole lot bigger issues to worry about.
I also read a comment about breed standards... if that is a concern maybe what should be addressed is that the typical show dog looks nothing like the dogs in the parking lot for the hunt not the other way around.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 06-11-2019 03:41 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

What were we talking about? Something about how to treat an itch?

Old Post 06-11-2019 01:20 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
What were we talking about? Something about how to treat an itch?

All this makes my head hurt think I think I got the fishing pocks I am sick.

Tar

Old Post 06-11-2019 01:34 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Scratch for blowing a squaller.
Scratch on unseen off game.
Scratch for unseen aggression.
Scratch the cast winner for not putting a symbol on a card - even if you are a youth hunter, have vision problems or are not yet qualified to carry the card.
Scratch for dog being "silent". Babblers are minused.
Scratched for use of a mirror.
Circle him up for coming in after the judge and treeing on a possum lol!!!

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 06-12-2019 03:20 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Makes me wonder if we all need to do more pleasure hunting an let grandpa teaches all over again how a real coon dog should operate. Miss the days of laying on a pond bank in the sage grass with a big chew listening to him say how a dog should operate.People an dogs shouldn’t be this complicated.

Old Post 06-12-2019 03:41 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Sgraves
Makes me wonder if we all need to do more pleasure hunting an let grandpa teaches all over again how a real coon dog should operate. Miss the days of laying on a pond bank in the sage grass with a big chew listening to him say how a dog should operate.People an dogs shouldn’t be this complicated.

Good plan and the rules shouldn't be complicated either.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 06-12-2019 03:46 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Jen Cummings

Thank you for your hard work and determination to make UKC a solid place for competition hunting. While a lot of us older guys may not benefit from these changes, these changes are much needed. We need to address the inequities as much as possible and get back to the concept of the best dog winning the cast. While some advantages of better hunting ground, etc will ALWAYS be in place, eliminating these petty rules will go a long way. The future of our sport lies in the hands of our younger hunters, hopefully they can hunt under a set of Rules that promote the best dog winning , as that is the goal. Dave

Old Post 06-12-2019 10:40 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: Jen Cummings

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Thank you for your hard work and determination to make UKC a solid place for competition hunting. While a lot of us older guys may not benefit from these changes, these changes are much needed. We need to address the inequities as much as possible and get back to the concept of the best dog winning the cast. While some advantages of better hunting ground, etc will ALWAYS be in place, eliminating these petty rules will go a long way. The future of our sport lies in the hands of our younger hunters, hopefully they can hunt under a set of Rules that promote the best dog winning , as that is the goal. Dave

Dave I cannot take credit for any of the change proposals the few that we submitted were all the men folk around here ideas, I just typed. They know where every loop hole is that needs closed and what they think needs updated. This group of guys is at a hunt of some sort every weekend. With a 6 year old in the mist I've found it completely ridiculous that they need to teach him not only the rules but advisor interpretations of them. From my time here and at the countless hunts I've attended I have came to realize the mentally of scratching is much more prominent in UKC than any others in the people that primarily hunt them and the rules reflect it. They are not set up for neither the men packing coondogs nor the young new comer to the sport and truly aren't user friendly to those in between. No one has time to read through multiple issues of an advisor. The 7 ways of Sunday of getting scratched need to go along with the if you can't beat em' scratch em' mentality.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 06-13-2019 05:11 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Jen Cummings

Lol. Do not sell yourself short. You are a true asset to our sport, I realize that the men are the ones hunting in the hunts and are the ones that know the shortcomings of our rules. You are a big help in getting these issues and ideas brought to the attention of the rules committees. It's people like yourself that work behind the scenes that make a difference. I can see why the Clubs in your area are successful, it's the work of folks like yourself that truly care about our sport and the future if our younger hunters. Yes, you deserve all the thanks you get and a lot more. Dave

Old Post 06-13-2019 09:06 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Thank you for the compliment Dave I appreciate it.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 06-14-2019 09:52 PM
berger
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Jen Cummings

quote:
The 7 ways of Sunday of getting scratched need to go along with the if you can't beat em' scratch em' mentality.

The Scratch em mentality is the same mentality as the minus em mentality. scratch em or minus em is the same winning mentality if you can't beat em.

319-201-8445

Old Post 06-15-2019 04:45 AM
berger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for berger Click here to Send berger a Private Message Find more posts by berger Add berger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Good plan and the rules shouldn't be complicated either.

Yes Ma'am The Cummings Clan is spot on with this very issue , Coon hunting is a real simple sport , lets not make it more complicated we need to simplify things considerably IMHO.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 06-15-2019 04:57 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

Re: Scratch Mentality

quote:
How many ways to get scratched that have nothing to do with misconduct or aggression issues...
I read the polls on getting rid of the squalling rule or the silent on track rule and it leaves me scratching my head. I see one major issue and that is those who look for and hope for a reason to scratch a cast member instead of beating them by out coondoging.
I have an idea, if you would like for cast to be more enjoyable get rid of the scratch mentality this kennel club suffers much to often from and encourage the passing of some of these changes.
If your concern is getting beat by someone who blew on a squaller or is hunting a silent dog you have a whole lot bigger issues to worry about.
I also read a comment about breed standards... if that is a concern maybe what should be addressed is that the typical show dog looks nothing like the dogs in the parking lot for the hunt not the other way around.

my x-bred has no breed standards .lol the way i read the rules scratching offences other than aggression the 1 hour rule off game silent on track molesting live stock all are in place to keep misconduct at a minimum, shining a tree to early blowing a squaller to early not striking your hound on the 3rd bark calling some one elses dog for undo credit are all forms of misconduct offences,

Last edited by thomasg on 06-17-2019 at 02:26 AM

Old Post 06-17-2019 02:14 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

I just counted 5 changes either got rid of scratching rules or have been altered to help those that have made an honest mistake.
Thank you.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 09-09-2019 05:38 PM
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Jen Cummings

quote:
Originally posted by berger
The Scratch em mentality is the same mentality as the minus em mentality. scratch em or minus em is the same winning mentality if you can't beat em.

That's right! Those that need to win that way dont go long before everyone loses all respect for them. It's usually guys trying to make up for their below average dog.

This sport is not hard. If a cast of guys is out there to see the best dog win and have a good time that is usually what happens.

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
GRNT CH BLUES AMAZING GRACE
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 09-09-2019 05:48 PM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sox12
UKC Forum Member

why have some just don't want the better dog that night win?and where has a lot of sportsmanship go what used to be in a lot of hunts,some people wont shine a tree afraid if they find the coon that dog will beat them,that mentality is what ruins a lot of hunting for some young hunters told them not to shine another persons tree,the people who tell the young folks that should be barred,to me if you are barred in one association you should not be able to hunt in any registration at all and you would clean up a lot of the problems that you have going on now

CH Nt. Ch.PR Wandering Red & RR Bucksaw (GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge Rip X Grand Nite Raged Ridge Toadie )
GRNTCH.GRCh.PR Steffes' Whizz Bang[GRNTCH Big Walnut BooneXGRNTCH Raged Ridge Toadie]
GRCH.Wandering Red Pepper
GRCH.Wandering Red Honeys Sweety Pie

RIP
GR.NT.CH.GR.CH.PR Steffes wandering Red Tinkerbell {GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge RipsawXGRNTCH Ragged Ridge Toadie]

Old Post 09-09-2019 06:43 PM
sox12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sox12 Click here to Send sox12 a Private Message Click Here to Email sox12 Find more posts by sox12 Add sox12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Jen Cummings

quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier Man1
That's right! Those that need to win that way dont go long before everyone loses all respect for them. It's usually guys trying to make up for their below average dog.

This sport is not hard. If a cast of guys is out there to see the best dog win and have a good time that is usually what happens.

This is long over due. I've experienced it more in the other KC, but last year at the UKC Zone the judge wouldn't walk 20 feet to observe what was going on at the tree before making a decision. It has become a "Culture" in some areas to win by giving minus points instead of winning by EARNING plus point.

THANKS for your effort.

Old Post 09-10-2019 02:30 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote