UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Scratch Mentality
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Scratch Mentality

How many ways to get scratched that have nothing to do with misconduct or aggression issues...
I read the polls on getting rid of the squalling rule or the silent on track rule and it leaves me scratching my head. I see one major issue and that is those who look for and hope for a reason to scratch a cast member instead of beating them by out coondoging.
I have an idea, if you would like for cast to be more enjoyable get rid of the scratch mentality this kennel club suffers much to often from and encourage the passing of some of these changes.
If your concern is getting beat by someone who blew on a squaller or is hunting a silent dog you have a whole lot bigger issues to worry about.
I also read a comment about breed standards... if that is a concern maybe what should be addressed is that the typical show dog looks nothing like the dogs in the parking lot for the hunt not the other way around.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Last edited by Redneck Mafia on 06-05-2019 at 07:18 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-05-2019 07:14 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

SIC 'EM , ya'll know me I'll tree my dogs if they stay. LOL what you said was true that scratch'em is probably the main reason numbers are down , heck the youth hunts are way more fun.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 06-05-2019 09:06 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Iseeum
Banned

This is one of the most honest posts I seen on here. The mentality of UKC hunters to scratch a man is unreal. I love the other KC rules that says "Scratch as a last resort".
Hunters has a lot of time and investments going to hunts to get scratched and cheated out of other peoples desire to win at any cost. We should always try to resolve every issue with scratching being the last alternative.

Old Post 06-05-2019 11:53 AM
Iseeum is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Iseeum Click here to Send Iseeum a Private Message Click Here to Email Iseeum Find more posts by Iseeum Add Iseeum to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Y’all keep scratching everybody how am I going to give ( everybody) a blue ribbon and a dog box ?

Tarbaby

Old Post 06-05-2019 01:01 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

I can’t remember the last time a dog was scratched.

Old Post 06-05-2019 01:23 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Well said Jen.

Old Post 06-05-2019 01:43 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

Re: Scratch Mentality

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
maybe what should be addressed is that the typical show dog looks nothing like the dogs in the parking lot for the hunt not the other way around.

I agree with this 100%. It's fine and dandy if you want to breed only to have dogs that conform to the breed standards. But what gets me is the confusion of the owner when that same dog goes to the woods and minuses out in the first hour. I can't count how many times i've drawn out with the overall bench show winner only to get to the woods and that same dog stand around. Its great to have one that does both but i'll take a coon treeing machine over one that perfectly meets breed standards.

Old Post 06-05-2019 02:55 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

This mentality is what keeps handlers in a cast they have no business continuing to turn loose in.

Old Post 06-05-2019 03:01 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
This mentality is what keeps handlers in a cast they have no business continuing to turn loose in.

Explain that one to me josh I didn’t get it. I was always taught to stay in until the end no matter what.

Tar

Old Post 06-05-2019 03:12 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Explain that one to me josh I didn’t get it. I was always taught to stay in until the end no matter what.

Tar

I believe he’s trying to say people enter dogs they know can’t win. Instead they try to get the ones that can win scratched.

Old Post 06-05-2019 04:00 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar

Tar

I think he means people who have 0% chance of winning a cast by actually treeing a coon start looking for any way to win a cast, such as scratching another dog. And to each his own but if im losing by 2 coons with under 20 minutes left im packing my dog up counting my losses and going home. That one more drop mentality has killed me for years pleasure hunting i'm definitely not gonna let it get me when i can control it in a comp hunt that i have zero chance of winning.

Old Post 06-05-2019 04:01 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Roy Grant
Well said Jen.

Nearly all of that is Cheyenne's thoughts after reading through comments on some of the proposals but I wouldn't let him type what wanted to say lol. Lets just say his comments were not politically correct enough for this board.
Tar you know exactly what Josh means don't go playing the big d_/#y 😉. He is referencing the handler who has absolutely no chance of ever winning the cast but stays to the bitter end with the hope the others get scratched on some technically instead of getting out of the way of dogs who are truly competing for the win.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 06-05-2019 04:13 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Jen, I don't think that he is playing.

Old Post 06-05-2019 04:23 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Jen, I don't think that he is playing.

Richard you don’t know unless I tell you. And Jen knows I was playing possum lol.

Tar

Old Post 06-05-2019 04:46 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

So, you aren't really a dumba** and you were just pretending to be one? I am confused.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 06-05-2019 at 05:43 PM

Old Post 06-05-2019 05:39 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I am getting to predictable I am going to have to shake sumpen looooooooose !!

Tarbaby

Old Post 06-05-2019 05:46 PM
tony.beals
UKC Forum Member

Re: Scratch Mentality

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
How many ways to get scratched that have nothing to do with misconduct or aggression issues...
I read the polls on getting rid of the squalling rule or the silent on track rule and it leaves me scratching my head. I see one major issue and that is those who look for and hope for a reason to scratch a cast member instead of beating them by out coondoging.
I have an idea, if you would like for cast to be more enjoyable get rid of the scratch mentality this kennel club suffers much to often from and encourage the passing of some of these changes.
If your concern is getting beat by someone who blew on a squaller or is hunting a silent dog you have a whole lot bigger issues to worry about.
I also read a comment about breed standards... if that is a concern maybe what should be addressed is that the typical show dog looks nothing like the dogs in the parking lot for the hunt not the other way around.

Thumbs up on all that was said, on the last we just held The Michigan State Hunt, I put on a smaller version of UKC's DUAL Champion hunt with the criteria that all dogs needed to finish hunt with plus points in order to show. We had 12 dogs for hunt and showed 5. Yes some were upset that they had to actually finish hunt LOL We also hunted 48 dogs Friday night and 31 Saturday night for the overall , not great but a big improvement from last year. Of course might have been the $2800.00 added purse (for all events) that brought them in. out of 91 dogs 69 were Nt CH or GRNT Ch. Out of 21 casts all came back with CW no questions on score cards and only two (***** )young men came back mad but never put a question on card. SO overall best hunt I have been to or ran. It was the exception thou.

MSG, US ARMY RETIRED
President of Michigan State United Coon Hunters Association

Old Post 06-05-2019 05:57 PM
tony.beals is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tony.beals Click here to Send tony.beals a Private Message Click Here to Email tony.beals Find more posts by tony.beals Add tony.beals to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

I pay my money I deserve same respect as the other 3 in the cast and I’m playing till the end, you do something stupid and get scratched you loose, don’t matter if All dogs are still in the game or not you could still get scratched.

Old Post 06-05-2019 06:09 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

I was subjected to this very same mentality a few years back and I still look back at it and laugh and at the same time get peed off.

Most won't take the time to read this but if you are bored and want a good laugh here it is.

4 dog cast. 2 dogs are treed together and 2 dogs are about 2 trees down the fence row together. I suggested we shine the trees at the same time but the judge said no shine them with separate times. We shinned there tree the whole 10 mins and as soon as the 10 was up I asked everyone to come stand by me. Well I assumed all were behind me and we all started shinning the tree. As soon as I hollered I got the coon the judge came running out of the corn field right up to me and asked what I was doing??? I replied with I got the coon right here you see it? He then told me I was scratched for shinning before he said I could. I busted out laughing but then realized he was actually serious. I questioned it and took it back to the club. The MOH upheld the scratch and the big bad redbone man got him a cheap win I later found out. He was only down 425 in the first 18 minutes of the cast to me

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
GRNT CH BLUES AMAZING GRACE
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 06-05-2019 08:24 PM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004
I pay my money I deserve same respect as the other 3 in the cast and I’m playing till the end, you do something stupid and get scratched you loose, don’t matter if All dogs are still in the game or not you could still get scratched.

I bet you are fun to hunt with lol.

Old Post 06-05-2019 08:29 PM
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by gpent24
I bet you are fun to hunt with lol.

I hear the same about you.

Old Post 06-05-2019 08:33 PM
yadkintar
Banned

I never been scratched or wrote up my whole life buuuuut my dogs have been scratched a bunch darned possums lol.

Tar

Old Post 06-05-2019 08:37 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I still don't know why possum is a scratching offense. If a dog can overcome something like that and win, he must one heck of a coon dog.

Old Post 06-05-2019 08:52 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004

Question do you feel even remotely bad if someone were to get scratched while trying to help you find a coon in a tree if their dog isn't there? If not this is the scratch mentality I was talking about. Those who are more than happy to see competion taken out by a simple mistake.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 06-05-2019 09:06 PM
sox12
UKC Forum Member

There is one thing I was told over 50 years ago the hunt is not over till the time has run out stay in unless you minused out.

CH Nt. Ch.PR Wandering Red & RR Bucksaw (GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge Rip X Grand Nite Raged Ridge Toadie )
GRNTCH.GRCh.PR Steffes' Whizz Bang[GRNTCH Big Walnut BooneXGRNTCH Raged Ridge Toadie]
GRCH.Wandering Red Pepper
GRCH.Wandering Red Honeys Sweety Pie

RIP
GR.NT.CH.GR.CH.PR Steffes wandering Red Tinkerbell {GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge RipsawXGRNTCH Ragged Ridge Toadie]

Old Post 06-05-2019 09:18 PM
sox12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sox12 Click here to Send sox12 a Private Message Click Here to Email sox12 Find more posts by sox12 Add sox12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote