UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Off Topic > Morel Mushrooms!
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

He found one big one under the first tree he looked under. He thought it may be a lucky dsy that was the only one he found lol. Tonight it's icing and snowing with the temp dropped into the 20's, back to winter again.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-07-2018 08:45 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

Unhappy

NEXT WEEK MAYBE IN NORTH CENTRAL OKLA

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 04-07-2018 03:16 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Happy Hunting.

Old Post 04-07-2018 04:59 PM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micooner
UKC Forum Member

Seems like we're a long way off of finding any here in michigan. This winter just won't let go. Lol

Old Post 04-07-2018 05:02 PM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

i found one gray mushroom last night while taking the young dog out for a little run here in ark .it was the smallest one i ever found . might have been a 1/4 inch tall . lol just left the woods looking for turkeys . scoured the area where the gray was found last night with no luck . lol

Old Post 04-12-2018 02:32 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

I've never seen one that I know of. Didn't know anything about them until I read this thread.
We hunt/eat one kind of mushroom that we don't know the name of. While hunting for them last yr, we kept seeing a bunch of a kind we didn't know if they were edible. I told my husband it would be nice if they were edible; about 10 minutes later, we talked 2 to guys that were hunting mushrooms, too. They told us all the ones we drove by were chanterelle and that we should try them. My husband didn't want to try them, but I did. We only got 4, since we're not dead yet; maybe we'll get more this yr.

Last edited by Rex Ridge on 04-16-2018 at 05:07 AM

Old Post 04-12-2018 06:14 PM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Dalton found around 20 Friday. We had finally had a pretty warm week. Last weekend we had a little ice and snow and this weekend it went from upper 70's to back below freezing so it is still not prime mushroom weather maybe this week will be better.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 04-16-2018 12:25 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

Angry

I HOPE

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 04-16-2018 02:43 AM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Can you pick mushrooms in the snow?

Old Post 04-16-2018 04:04 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Can you pick mushrooms in the snow?

You can hunt them in the snow. Take a shovel along and get back with us on how many you find lol.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 04-16-2018 06:39 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Is mushroom hunting in the snow anything like snipe hunting at night?

Old Post 04-19-2018 08:07 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Is mushroom hunting in the snow anything like snipe hunting at night?

The odds of finding one are probably about the same. If you watched a mushroom hunter from a distance you would compare it to snipe hunting. Mushroom hunters out wondering around the woods looking around every tree and bush, kicking leaves and cursing briars while carring an empty bag.
Hmm, I wonder if I could train a dog to find these elusive morels?

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 04-19-2018 08:57 PM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

If you ever train a dog to find morels just write a book, Walk with Jen. I'll be your first customer for an autographed copy. I'd rather have a dog that finds morels than a good coondog.

Old Post 04-20-2018 09:15 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
If you ever train a dog to find morels just write a book, Walk with Jen. I'll be your first customer for an autographed copy. I'd rather have a dog that finds morels than a good coondog.

It's a deal lol. I may have to start my own breed like they did for the antler dogs, Chey may not go for me trying to train our pups on mushrooms lol. Wonder if UKC would run sanctioned comp hunts?

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 04-20-2018 10:00 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

They use pigs and dogs to find truffles.

Old Post 04-20-2018 11:40 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

Jen, you just remind Chey about trading his truck for a dog, if he says anything about your new adventure. Lol. Dave

Old Post 04-23-2018 12:58 AM
Dave Richards is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

wild pigs

the wild hogs in my area make finding mushrooms tuff . they eat them up as fast as they pop .lol secret honey hole was all routed up yesterday. lol

Old Post 04-23-2018 02:54 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Hey Jen how's the mushroom dog training coming? Been talking to Tar and we have decided if you can get a strain of shroom dogs going we need to start a registry. You can take your pick of positions with the new company but me and him need executive positions. He promised to not criticize and call anyone a dummy. I'll be happy with field rep or taste tester. No telling what position Tar wants. Probably needs to be in advertising or promotions but thats up to y'all. Keep us informed on the progress.

Old Post 04-25-2018 02:34 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Ol Red and the pups just want to chase critters. Red will eat about anything so maybe if I feed him a few mushrooms he will catch on, kinda like when you shoot coons out to a pup and let them chew on them for a reward. As for you and Tar's positions idk how he would work out in PR but if I could teach Red to hunt shrooms maybe we could refine Tar's people skills, teaching old dogs new tricks lol. Myself I will be CEO. I've always said I can put all other kc's completely out of business with only 2 simple rule changes #1 beer allowed and served on grounds and #2 any mode of transportation to score trees, we could use the same concept for our comp hunts!
After several cold snaps it's been hard on the morel finding around here. It finally warmed up this week and today it's raining so maybe they will start popping up more.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Last edited by Redneck Mafia on 04-25-2018 at 09:15 PM

Old Post 04-25-2018 09:00 PM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Tar in public relations....hmmmm, let's see...maybe we should start out by sending him to Miss Manners Social School of Etiquette and it wouldn't hurt to get him acustomed to wearing a dummy collar. A dummy collar on Tar, hahaha, sorry I found a little inside humor in that.

Old Post 04-26-2018 01:46 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

free photo hosting
My grandson Kash Cummings with one of his finds.
Dalton and Kash went out this morning and found a bag full this morning. Cheyenne and I are in Illinois so I didn't get to go with them, hopefully this week. The weather is finally right after a colder than usual spring.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 04-28-2018 08:37 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

It's that time of year again!

Here's Ash and Tyler's stash from yesterday. Kash found 16 a week ago in his "secret" spot. Chey and I went yesterday in the woods here at the house which looks like the perfect spot and found exactly a big 0 lol! I think the gnomes are hiding them from us! If I can get some time this week I'll be heading to my own secret morel hunting spot.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 04-13-2021 01:55 AM
T Felderman
UKC Forum Member

Them are the perfect size.

Old Post 04-13-2021 02:15 PM
T Felderman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T Felderman Click here to Send T Felderman a Private Message Find more posts by T Felderman Add T Felderman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Are these regional? I've never seen a mushroom like that.

Old Post 04-14-2021 12:53 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Are these regional? I've never seen a mushroom like that.

I just looked it up and there are morels in Lousiana but not the far south part of the state. Around here they are like a delicacy found for only about a month out of the year and you've got to know where to look. When you find a good spot it is like a secret honey hole - don't tell a soul lol! As you can read from some of my post even Your own children will rob you of your spot. I should have waited until I was an old, old woman to share mine with Dalton!
Hill sides along creek banks, river bottoms and what we call here elm tree flats are good spots. They like sycamore, elm and hickory trees. But I've found alot up under cedars and they seem to love flora rose. When the soil starts warming in the spring it's mushroom hunting season. When it gets hotter they will be gone.

Ash is cooking her and Tyler's tomorrow night. Tyler's dad also pulled some wild onions so she's going to stuff the shrooms and fry them. Cream cheese, garlic, wild onions and maybe even some bacon crumbles. Stuff it all in a motel dip in a batter and fry golden brown! Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 04-14-2021 05:17 AM