UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dog falling off
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
wildcat3
UKC Forum Member

Dog falling off

Looking for some input. Been hunting a 5 or 6 year old female amd treeing coons with her constantly up until this month. Back in September and October I would usually treeing 2 a night with her. Sometimes only 1 but could count on her treeing at least one coon. I was hunting public land and less than prime spots, lots of walking and lots od hills so making only 2 trees in a couple of hours wasnt that bad. I hunted her very little from mid Nov until first of the year. Been hunting her at least twice a week since Jan 1 and only treed 1 coon and it was smoking hot on tje feeder. Making slick tree after slick tree. I hunted her tonight amd initially thought she was hunting better but slicked again on the first drop. One thing i have noticed is lots of times she trees slick right on the edge of a creek, whether that means anything or not who knoes. I'm at a loss at this point. Twice tonight on other drops she fell treed suddenly about 30 yards off in the woods. She has never done that at all until tonight. I have tried sending her on and she acts like she half way hunts out amd comes back. At other times she will range out and slick tree yet agaun. It would be one thing if she had always been this sorry but she use to be a decent dog a man could tree a cou of coons with. Does anyone have any thoughts on what may be going on?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-26-2020 04:19 AM
wildcat3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildcat3 Click here to Send wildcat3 a Private Message Click Here to Email wildcat3 Find more posts by wildcat3 Add wildcat3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rcagla10583
UKC Forum Member

might wanna have her thyroid checked

Long Branch Mtn Curs
UKC SQCH LONG BRANCH GHOST

Old Post 01-26-2020 12:31 PM
rcagla10583 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rcagla10583 Click here to Send rcagla10583 a Private Message Find more posts by rcagla10583 Add rcagla10583 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Take her to the vet. Check her thyroid and for tick diseases. I'm betting on it being Thyroid. Been there.

Old Post 01-26-2020 02:33 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wildcat3
UKC Forum Member

Are thyroid issues really that common ? I am considering taking her to the vet for bloodwork. A buddy and I were thinking sje may be coming in heat but this has been going on all month. Seen one coon in probably 15 to 20 trees.

Old Post 01-27-2020 03:07 PM
wildcat3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildcat3 Click here to Send wildcat3 a Private Message Click Here to Email wildcat3 Find more posts by wildcat3 Add wildcat3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Flying squirrels??

Old Post 01-27-2020 03:16 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog2345
UKC Forum Member

Had a female that couple three weeks before she came in would loose her mind and she was like that for couple weeks after heat cycle but then she would turn it back on and straighten out. Have plenty of folk to tell about it iso it wasn't just me thinking it. It was crazy and she was the only female I have ever had that did that

Old Post 01-27-2020 03:20 PM
treedog2345 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog2345 Click here to Send treedog2345 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog2345 Add treedog2345 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

My female is exactly like that. When she starts to come in she goes crazy.

Old Post 01-27-2020 08:36 PM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wildcat3
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Clovis A Nailor
My female is exactly like that. When she starts to come in she goes crazy.

Bout how long before she comes in does she start going crazy

Old Post 01-27-2020 08:43 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Wildcat3

Have you ever hunted her in Jan and Feb before? You did not say, you said Sept and Oct sheet was treeing coons now slicks. I use Jan and Feb as my measuring stick, if a dog can not tree coons every night and be accurate hunting in Jan and Feb they can not eat my feed. There are lots of digs that look okay hunting in Sept, Oct. November that look worthless in the winter months. I call these dogs mediocre at best. Looking for excuses as why they are treeing slick is being in denial as to what the dog actually is ( mediocre ). Jan and Feb separates the coon dogs from the rest of the pack. The better the coon dog the less excuses you will hear regardless of the time of year or weather conditions. We ALL have had dogs that looked goid in summer or fall only to blow up in the winter months. Unfortunately, the reason was simple, they just are not up to the test. Dave

Old Post 01-27-2020 08:50 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

She's a female

Doesn't matter what species, she's a female good luck figuring out how, what or why they do what they do lol. Usually if it's because of a heat it's only a week or so before they start bleeding. But remember she's a female.

Old Post 01-27-2020 08:53 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Dam, I didn't know dogs got PMS.

Old Post 01-28-2020 02:18 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Donald Bergeron

We learn a lot of things on this forum, especially new excuses for dogs that aren't treeing these wintertime coons. Blame it on the feed, pls, coming in heat for 2 months without coming in heat, thyroid problems, allergies, and even the moon, everything under the sun, but what it boils down to is simply dog power. The better the coon dog the fewer the excuses. Funny how a coon dog does not have all of these man made symptoms ailing them. Hummmmmmmmmm. Dave

Old Post 01-28-2020 04:48 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

My coon treer is in heat now. She treed coons til I put her up and I hope she can tree a few later this week. If not I'll have something to blame it on. Ain't that just like a female to spoil a good hunting season?

Old Post 01-28-2020 03:46 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Donald Bergeron

A good female coming in heat is a hunting distraction for sure, but it beats the crap out of male dogs actions every time they are hunted with other males. I.E. scratching, peeing, and all that other nonsense, give me a female coon dog over a male coon dog any day, especially if their heat cycle is during the off season. Lol. Dave

Old Post 01-29-2020 02:21 AM