UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coons should be moving-not!
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

Coons should be moving-not!

It was 43 degrees, 12-15 mph wind with minor gust, cloudy, and breeding season. Ya, I know it even though it was cloudy, that moon was still pretty bright, but I still thought I would get some good tracks. After all, we have been having good coon hunting all through December.

First drop, had to catch the dog crossing the road after no strike and a long way from the drop point. Hmm, that didn't work ... let's try roading. A couple miles later and still no strike.

Last resort, my honey hole ... I cut my girl in towards the den tree. A strike! finally. Suddenly I hear something behind me. I turn around expecting to see the dog, but the dog is 70 yards in front me. She then brings the track towards me. Once she sees me, she turns shuts up and heads in deep. She doesn't like to be caught. I don't know if what i heard was a coon or not. That is fine with me because if she went behind me we would likely end up in a barn. We are in a section of flooded timber with downed trees everywhere. She gets in over 900 yards to the southeast and strikes again. Man that track seemed tough. I was expecting the track to continue southeast along a small oak ridge, but no it did not. It headed back to the northwest. Long story shortened, we end up treed on the same den tree that I cut her into at the beginning of the drop.

Oh well what conditions favor a good night and of course understanding women still continue to elude me.

Aim small miss small

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-10-2020 04:39 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Jackson
UKC Forum Member

Thats a great story! Sounds like a few nights l have had.

Old Post 01-10-2020 05:19 PM
Ron Jackson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Jackson Click here to Send Ron Jackson a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Jackson Find more posts by Ron Jackson Add Ron Jackson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Larry Atherton

Lol. You get COONS and WOMEN figured out and you will be famous. Dave

Old Post 01-10-2020 08:20 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msarka
UKC Forum Member

Same in my area. If it wasn’t for any bad tracks there wouldn’t be any tracks at all. Just seems odd to me.

Home of GRNITECH ‘PR’ BELLE RIVER BANDIT

Old Post 01-10-2020 08:56 PM
msarka is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msarka Click here to Send msarka a Private Message Find more posts by msarka Add msarka to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jerrydillon17
UKC Forum Member

!!

I wasn't having much luck started hunting real late at night my luck turned around

Old Post 01-10-2020 09:44 PM
jerrydillon17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jerrydillon17 Click here to Send jerrydillon17 a Private Message Click Here to Email jerrydillon17 Find more posts by jerrydillon17 Add jerrydillon17 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CX3
UKC Forum Member

I'm glad in a way to hear I'm not the only one having a tough time. I was about to consider knocking out a few of these possums to keep the pup looking up. I have also been letting him continue his deer races just to get some exercise

John 3:16
You'd better believe it!

Old Post 01-11-2020 12:43 PM
CX3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CX3 Click here to Send CX3 a Private Message Click Here to Email CX3 Find more posts by CX3 Add CX3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

Early hunting has not been much good. But being semi-retired, I can hunt late. Seems to really pick up after Midnite-1:00am. Almost seems they are looking for girlfriends before dark. Then late.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 01-11-2020 01:03 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Thanks... I thought my pot lickers had lost everything they knew. Keep huntin

Old Post 01-11-2020 02:08 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

If history holds true, the next 2 or 3 weeks should be good

Old Post 01-11-2020 02:14 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

Coons

Your not alone hunting was good ,until about a week ago now short tracks den trees I'm guess there fixing to start rutting

Old Post 01-11-2020 02:20 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

They haven’t been moving in north east Alabama!
Early drops or late , hard to find a good track!
Might be my dog lol

Old Post 01-11-2020 04:40 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
STROKIN
UKC Forum Member

Larry

Get you another dog lol or at least branch out to some other woods. We’ve been treeing coon regularly. But this last week have been getting some slick trees, which isn’t like this dog at all. After last night a lot of my woods are flooded. So my hunting will be limited

Old Post 01-12-2020 02:28 AM
STROKIN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for STROKIN Click here to Send STROKIN a Private Message Click Here to Email STROKIN Find more posts by STROKIN Add STROKIN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote